AMV/VAT FAQ

Includes the AMV/Fan Video contest, the AMV Wars, and Fan Video panels.

Moderators: ngsilver, Public Moderators

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH
First Anime: Sailor Moon

AMV/VAT FAQ

Postby ngsilver » Sat May 31, 2008 4:34 pm

--- When will the AMV / Music Video Contest Rules be posted?
Sometime in June.

--- Where is a good place to keep up with updates relating to the VAT?
The VAT has it's own twitter! Check up on recent events here: http://twitter.com/VATatYouma

--- What is the VAT?
Those of you who came to the con in 2007/2008/2009 will remember that there was a dedicated AMV room. The VAT is essentially Youmacon’s dedicated AMV room, however it will not be subject to only AMV programming. VAT stands for Video/Audio Track. As such the VAT centers on fan created videos. This could be AMVs, Flash videos, Parodies, and any other types of fan created video work. So while much of the programming will be AMVs, due to the abundance of them, there will also be other things present.

--- I have this cool video that should be in the contest, can I bring it with me to the con?
Short answer: no. Long answer: The contest showings are prepared weeks in advance, so we just cannot accommodate at-con submissions. As such the AMV Contest is strictly pre-convention submission only. However, the VAT staff will gladly accept videos from individuals who bring them to the convention and we will try to show them during free-play in the VAT. However, all videos will be screened first in order to figure out when the videos can be appropriately played.

--- I saw (insert video here) at the con, can I get a copy of it?
It is the responsibility of the creator of (insert video here) to release their video for distribution. The VAT staff does not allow attendees to copy videos from the contest. A list of videos in the contest and winners will be posted to both the AMV.org and Youmacon forums, please relate to this when searching for videos.

--- But (insert video here) wasn’t played during the contest! Can I get of copy of it?
Generally, any video shown during the convention can be easily downloaded from the internet. The VAT’s video archive is massively large, so finding videos can be difficult and our staff simply do not have the time (or free PC resources) to burn disks or copy videos for you.

--- I want to find (insert video here) myself, can I get a listing of videos played to help me search?
As stated before, all videos shown during the AMV contest will be listed on the amv.org and Youmacon forums. It is up to the panelists to provide a listing of videos they play during their panels, the VAT staff will not have them.
The VAT staff can help you find information on a video you have seen, but will not provide a list of videos played. Simply ask them about a video you recently saw and they should be able to give you the video title, anime, and creator. Please bring pencil/paper with you, the VAT will not have extra for you to use.

--- I REALLY love AMVs. Is there any way I can get a copy of the archive?
Only under rare circumstances will someone be allowed to copy the VAT’s archive. The time it will take to do is long, considering the size, and only one person can be accommodated at a time. At the time of the writing of this FAQ the archive currently occupies 1 TB, however by the time the convention rolls around the archive is expected to be even larger. This size does NOT include any late night videos, you would need more space to house those as well.

--- I want to see (insert video here.)
Requests will be gladly accepted for all free-play showing blocks and during any event specifically stating that requests are welcome. All other panels/events will not be request friendly unless the panelists or event coordinators state otherwise.
A piece of paper or some other device will be provided to take requests. You will find this at the VAT desk (the table with all the computer equipment) and should only request videos by filling out the form provided. If you are unsure where it is ask the VAT staff and they can point it out for you.

--- I saw this cool video in the contest but it didn’t win anything. Can I give it my own award?
Yes. On Sunday the VAT will hold their very own closing ceremonies. This is where we will wrap up our business for the weekend as well as hand out awards that have not been picked up in past years. We will also announce Guest Awards.
These Guest Awards are a special award that a video can receive from any attendee at the con. You are limited to 1 award to give out, so choose wisely. In order to send your award you will need to come down to the VAT sometime Saturday after the AMV Contest or Sunday before closing ceremonies. The VAT desk will have a form for you to fill out.

kaybay

Re: AMV/VAT FAQ for 2010

Postby kaybay » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm

How do i enter the amv contest or just send a video to be showed?
[url][URL=http://img716.imageshack.us/i/zerochained.jpg/]Image[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Re: AMV/VAT FAQ for 2010

Postby ngsilver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:27 am

Read the Rules. That has everything you need to know to enter the contest as well as just send a video to be shown. The entry system also has a help section to walk you through the process of using it.

Return to “AMVs and Fan Created Content”