Youmacon Complaint/Concern/Compliment thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eleventh year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

BigDoug
First Anime: Riding Bean

Youmacon Complaint/Concern/Compliment thread

Postby BigDoug » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Okay, since the forums seem a bit dead and no one has made this thread, I will begin this.

This is a thread for anyone who has a concern or complaint about the 2015 convention. Or a compliment, or just want to praise the staff in general.

Okay, for my two major complaints:

First, the schedule. I don't know who designed the digital schedule this year but it pissed me off. Having the entire schedule be on one long vertical line made it impossible to read easily. I'll explain how.

"Well, hmm, this panel on Saturday at 8pm looks interesting. I wonder what room it's in."
*scrolls to the left*
*continues scrolling*
*finally reaches the beginning of the document* "Ah here it is. It's in this room in COBO. I think. I forgot which line the panel was on.
OR
*turns on phone* "let me check the schedule."
*scrolls to the right* "Not there yet"
*keeps scrolling* "not there"
*keeps scrolling* "Whoops, overshot, I'm in Sunday."

So yes, the schedule should have been broken up vertically by day. So that way it would not only be easier to get to the proper day or time without scrolling, but also to see which room each panel was in WITHOUT HAVING TO SCROLL SO MUCH.

Second issue. A minor one. Every year the Marriott has a parking voucher for two of the structures. Not only did I park in the wrong structure the first time, but the second time I gave one to my friend (he was in Beauben garage) and he couldn't figure out how to use it. The hotel staff really didn't give much instructions on how to use it. When it came time for me to check out on Sunday, I played around with the machine and finally figured out that I had to put the parking pass in the machine first, then SCAN the voucher with the bar code reader on the machine. Not a huge deal but having the hotel staff explain it might have saved my friend, and also saved me time trying to figure it out.

Besides that, though, was a pretty good con.
Formerly PsychoLee
Cosplays for Youmacon 2017:
Gendo Ikari - Done but needs adjustments
Kyubey - Working on it... doesn't help that a lot of costume and other stuff is like "IN STOCK NOV 1".
MAYBE Lupin III

DJ RX-78
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Re: Youmacon Complaint/Concern/Compliment thread

Postby DJ RX-78 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Let me start by saying that these are my opinions. Ok, lets start...

The things that I feel tripped up a lot of people was probably how the schedule was displayed in the booklets.
Even if you were to explain to people what military time was, chances are that most everyone had to take an extra five minute to figure things out.
Also wasn't keen on the layout of the booklets. It felt difficult how to figure out where anything was, despite having the room names listed. Maybe having it color coded in some manner could help.

Now for my biggest complaint, and this one is a heavy bias. So this was my first year participating in artist alley, and although I had a fun time, I know that the set up was counter productive to my sales, if not hindering them. Even though I had no control as to where I would be placed, being pinned up against the wall prevented a lot of people I knew to be able to find my booth. Now I'm sure there are some legistical reasons why the dealer's hall is set up the way it is, but when you have nearly 70-99% of the traffic coming in from one spot, why not just have artist alley in front of the dealers?

Let me pull a quick John Madden right now...

This is what I would consider to be the typical flow of traffic for the deals room, not including the back entrance. Yes you will have a fair amount of people hitting up artist alley, but most go straight to the dealers, never once touching artist alley. Again, I'm bias, but that kind of feels like the artists are getting gypped. The only time this starts to get a little better is when some people swing back around, but not everyone is going to feel like hitting up artist alley when they probably just spent $50 or so on a couple of items from the dealers.

So now lets assume that artist alley would go first. Chances are those who want to hit up the dealers first will still do so, but now you're not alienating the artist as bad. You're giving them the forefront as appose to the wing. Managing the flow with separation of aisles should help prevent unwanted jams. Give artist a chance to shine and not be shoved in the corner or swept to the side like unwanted dirt. Con goers will be greeted first with an array of original work, most of which featuring their favorite characters or series before being bombarded with the commercial goods of the dealers.

Another thing that can be said about artist alley is don't put it all on Beth to figure it out. I can see that she does everything she can with the facebook group, but a little back up could be nice so not everyone is hitting her up with loads of questions.

All in all, give more love to the artist because they deserve it!
Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

Goldeneyeuro
First Anime: Wolf's Rain

Postby Goldeneyeuro » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:29 am

Okies, compared with 2013 when I last attended, Youmacon 2015 was better run. But I still have some complaints which follow:

1. Hotel room reservations for the Marriott were not locked down so people could book rooms several months before the official room block was announced on the website. Lock down the room block before rooms go on sale and inform everyone on the website and by Twitter/Facebook when the room block will go on sale so everyone can get a chance to get the room(s) they want at the same time.
2. The only overflow hotel listed on the website was the Holiday Inn. There was no mention of the Greektown hotel, Westin, or Doubletree (not sure how many of these have official Youmacon room blocks) and the one for the Crowne Plaza was also not put on the website. ALL hotels with room blocks need to be listed on the website.
3. Registration/badge pickup on Friday needs to start earlier than 11:00 AM/noon.
4. Would like the dealers room to open up before 2:00 PM on Friday- ACEN opens up at 10:00 AM on Friday and AWA opens up at noon on Friday- step up your game, Youmacon!
5. The programming booklet was made with the same material as a cheap newspaper, which is a TERRIBLE idea since one usually relies on something like that for multiple times throughout the whole weekend, not just read it and throw it away 30 minutes later. Also, please include the photoshoot schedule and marked locations in the booklet, a grid-style schedule with overlapping times, and an alphabetical listing of the panels available with descriptions.
6. Con staff should allow attendees into the panel rooms to sit down even though the panelists haven't arrived yet, and do a better job of communicating to attendees when attendees can go into the room.

Plus points:

1. Despite the chair snafu at maid cafe (fix this please, Youmacon, since having something like this run well would be a HUGE draw), those who ran it were cordial, perky, friendly, and made the experience worth it. Would gladly pay the fee again if administrative issues were resolved.
2. Going from a "purchase and enter code to redeem" system to a "one-click" system to purchase badges was VERY welcome (not sure if this was implemented in 2014, since I didn't attend that year)
3. Schedules were released 3-4 weeks before the convention instead of 4-5 days before the convention. Please continue this trend!
4. Allowing attendees to purchase People Mover passes online or over the telephone instead of standing in line at the convention is a great move.
5. A formal photoshoot signup procedure, great communication on signup procedures, and a schedule where everyone can see the progress was sorely needed versus the system in 2013, and am VERY glad to see that implemented.
http://www.flickr.com/Goldeneyeuro

Never be average- Me

When life has no purpose, you're dead already- Kiba, Wolf's Rain

2K15 cosplay:
Lavi, 2nd outfit, D. Gray Man
Light Yagami, Death Note
Munakata Reisi, K Project
Tsunashi Takuto, Star Driver

Shamanized

Postby Shamanized » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Agreed with the schedule. I'm pretty sure last year it was fantastic. Having the booklet (that was not made of newspaper and gets destroyed with one wrong fold) and then a separate large sheet just for quick reference to the schedule was excellent! This year the schedule was pretty awful. And photoshoots definitely need to be listed somewhere.

And please make it obvious which panels and events are in the COBO and which are in the REN CEN without having to go back and forth from the schedule to the map. It was time consuming to figure out where everything was. I think we've had the schedule use a small divider to differentiate between the Ren Cen stuff and Cobo stuff on the same page of the schedule? Couldn't that just happen again?
PAST COSPLAYS:
Mr. Game & Watch
Banjo-Kazooie
Snape (A Very Potter Musical)
Bryan Fury
Ermac
Slender Man Victim
Jack Frost
Koh the Face Stealer - Avatar
2015 COSPLAYS:
Edward Mordrake - American Horror Story: Freakshow
Black*Star - Soul Eater

Amberspike-Sama
First Anime: .

Postby Amberspike-Sama » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:06 pm

This was my seventh year at Youmacon, and unfortunately not one of my better experiences. Here are my positive and negative points and some constructive suggestions:

Registration
  • I think we had a larger volume of people this year than last year, and as someone mentioned above, having registration open earlier on Friday would be ideal. As it was, I arrived at noon and ended up spending approximately two hours in line.
  • As I mentioned last year, I'm rather puzzled by the apparent underuse of the room used for registration. That is a very large hall, and I'm puzzled as to why so few people were let into it at a time. Is it a lack of dividers to route lines? Fire code requirements? For safety and convenience reasons, I highly recommend getting more people out of the hallways of Cobo and into that room.
  • The People Mover pass booth was in a convenient spot with obvious signage. Keep it that way.
  • Please inform your staff at registration of the answers to questions like "where can I purchase tickets for the Maid Cafe or Charity Ball?" I know how this works by now, but new attendees may not.
  • This is a small point, but when I got through registration, the bags with the booklets were laying in a pile for people to pick up. It was not immediately obvious and, again, someone new to the con might not have known to look for one. Please have your staff direct attendees to grab one or have the courtesy to hand one to each attendee.

Charity Ball
  • The location in Ren was easy to find--though I think the Cobo ballroom had a better sound system/acoustics--and the tickets were handled well this year.
  • I was highly disappointed in the music. This is an event I have attended every year and looked forward to a great deal because of the variety of music involved--waltz, swing, selections from anime and other popular music. In the past, it has been exciting, allowed me to indulge in different styles of dance, and stayed fun well into the night. However, this year the DJ played waltz and electroswing exclusively. Not only were some of the waltz pieces frankly undanceable (e.g., too quiet or too fast) but after the transition to electroswing and another attendee attempting to request a song, the DJ declared that he would only play electroswing for the rest of the night. I like electroswing, but after an hour or so of the same sort of music at the same tempo, my friend and I grew sick of it and actually left early.
    Tl;dr: next time, hire a DJ willing to play a variety of genres.

Photoshoots
  • I mentioned this in the photoshoot feedback form, but I will say it again--leaving the photoshoots out of the booklet is the sort of thing I remember happening back during the venue changes. It should NOT be happening now. After seeing staff take the initiative to put the shoot list together in a timely fashion, I was highly disappointed to find that there was no printed copy. Many people at this con rely on the printed schedule to find events, and the DC shoot I've informally run for the past few years had a notably reduced turnout due to this negligence.
  • I also received feedback from other attendees in regard to the formatting of the shoot schedule. One mentioned nearly overlooking the DC shoot because it was printed in small font and squeezed into a cell with two other shoots. I recommend breaking the entries up based on their actual locations (e.g., Mariner's Church, Riverfront) to mitigate this problem. If it is too expensive to print it this way in the book, include the shoot schedule as a separate supplement.
  • Also in regard to locations: make sure that they're clear. I accompanied a friend to the Nintendo shoot in Cobo on Saturday night and everyone who made it there seemed to have been highly confused about the location. If you are going to list a place that isn't obvious, I recommend including signage in the building to mark the spot--especially in Cobo, where there aren't a lot of discrete divisions between locations.
  • Lastly, here are some general tips in regard to the planning of shoot locations:
    -- They should be easy to find, either due to being a well-described location or having a sign on-site.
    -- They should contain one group at a time or be large enough that two groups can assemble without bumping into each other.
    -- They should not obstruct hallways, escalators, or other high-traffic areas.
    -- They should not be listed in such as a way as to require people to switch locations. Moving large groups of people can be a crowding/fire hazard and confuse newcomers.
    -- They should have adequate lighting (e.g., not be in a poorly lit area at night or require people to stand in front of a window where they will be washed out in pictures.)

Thank you for reading.
2015 lineup:
Friday: Poison Ivy (DC)
Saturday: Edward Nygma (Gotham)

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:57 am

Goldeneyeuro wrote:5. A formal photoshoot signup procedure, great communication on signup procedures, and a schedule where everyone can see the progress was sorely needed versus the system in 2013, and am VERY glad to see that implemented.

Thank you on the complement in regards to the formal signup procedure. I actually stepped up and volunteered my free time to Lauren and her crew to help with it this year, and suffice to say I thought I would try out something similar to what Anime Weekend Atlanta does with their photoshoot setup. I hope to better it and expand on it for next year.

Amberspike-Sama wrote:Photoshoots
  • I mentioned this in the photoshoot feedback form, but I will say it again--leaving the photoshoots out of the booklet is the sort of thing I remember happening back during the venue changes. It should NOT be happening now. After seeing staff take the initiative to put the shoot list together in a timely fashion, I was highly disappointed to find that there was no printed copy. Many people at this con rely on the printed schedule to find events, and the DC shoot I've informally run for the past few years had a notably reduced turnout due to this negligence.
  • I also received feedback from other attendees in regard to the formatting of the shoot schedule. One mentioned nearly overlooking the DC shoot because it was printed in small font and squeezed into a cell with two other shoots. I recommend breaking the entries up based on their actual locations (e.g., Mariner's Church, Riverfront) to mitigate this problem. If it is too expensive to print it this way in the book, include the shoot schedule as a separate supplement.
  • Also in regard to locations: make sure that they're clear. I accompanied a friend to the Nintendo shoot in Cobo on Saturday night and everyone who made it there seemed to have been highly confused about the location. If you are going to list a place that isn't obvious, I recommend including signage in the building to mark the spot--especially in Cobo, where there aren't a lot of discrete divisions between locations.
  • Lastly, here are some general tips in regard to the planning of shoot locations:
    -- They should be easy to find, either due to being a well-described location or having a sign on-site.
    -- They should contain one group at a time or be large enough that two groups can assemble without bumping into each other.
    -- They should not obstruct hallways, escalators, or other high-traffic areas.
    -- They should not be listed in such as a way as to require people to switch locations. Moving large groups of people can be a crowding/fire hazard and confuse newcomers.
    -- They should have adequate lighting (e.g., not be in a poorly lit area at night or require people to stand in front of a window where they will be washed out in pictures.)

Thank you for reading.

--First off as the one whom volunteered there time in doing the photoshoots this year, I do apologize as to the photoshoots not being in the book this year. THey actually where supposed to be, though some minor miscommunication from the new guys who was responsible for the book, meant the book went the printer about a day or so ahead of when it was supposed to, meaning myself and Lauren didn't get the chance to send him over the file for the shoots to be printed in the schedule.

--The shoots for Mariner's, Hart Plaza, RIverfront and Stargate where set up in that format as I was trying to figure out a way to include these UNOFFICIAL locations, while not leaving them out completely. If the main issue was the font size, then I shall definitely make sure to increase it for the future. Though for those who were aware, and those who were not, I did also create a list style format of the entire schedule as well... which listed the shoots by location then day and time.
At this time unless the con can come to an accord with the local area for using those space as 'official' locations, Unless they are set up in a roundabout way in the guide, they can't be published as locations...

--As for descriptions and details on how to get to locations, that is something I am going to be working on fixing for next year to help make it easier. I did set up a album in the Youmacon Cosplay and Photography FB page with images of the locations and descriptions on how to get there, but I will look at improving them all for next year. This will include how to get them from the PM and street levels.

--Meanwhile I will likely use some of the feedback from this year to better plan locations and go from there. I did actually go around with a buddy of mine whom is a professional photographer and we scoured Cobo for possible future new locations, so once I can get back images from him for those, I will likely look at proposing a few of them for new locations to add to the list of locations that can be used. I know the biggest issue is a decent number of the bigger fandoms are huge and we have very few 'large capacity' shoot locations set up as official spaces. Meanwhile with the renovations complete now as well... areas of the Riverfront Entrance side of Cobo are also possible options for the future.
Cause right now, we only have really as far as OFFICIAL locations the WIntergarden and the Upper area of the Cobo Atrium which just isn't enough. I might see if we can at least look at seeing about getting the Riverfront back on the list of official locations at least, as it was a location in the past.
I know the other big concern is looking at more and new official locations so one can try and move away from the GM Ren Cen if we can, as since the Mask/Prop rule makes setting up some shoots there before 5 a bit of a pain...
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

DatDFC
First Anime: ;)

Postby DatDFC » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:02 pm

There's way too much western stuff at this Japanese convention. I saw multiple panels that had nothing to do with anything related to Japanese culture at all and from what I've been told western cosplay was even allowed in the contest this year. I'm all fine and dandy with people dressing up in western stuff, it can't be helped, but you can at least discourage it at a Japanese convention especially since there's a western based one around April.

Panel times were a mess. It's to be expected at Youmacon but when you get a printed schedule you kind of expect that to be the final revision and I missed a few panels because of that.

I do have to compliment you guys on taking more advantage of the Cobo center though. Usually there aren't many panels there but I went to a decent amount there this year and it was nice. Panels that needed more room got it, although those panels also had way less people in them. Not sure if people just don't want to leave the Renaissance center or if it was due to schedule changes. But panels that were packed in previous years and had lines at the Renaissance had way less people attending.

Amberspike-Sama
First Anime: .

Postby Amberspike-Sama » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Raiji Magiwind wrote:--The shoots for Mariner's, Hart Plaza, RIverfront and Stargate where set up in that format as I was trying to figure out a way to include these UNOFFICIAL locations, while not leaving them out completely. If the main issue was the font size, then I shall definitely make sure to increase it for the future. Though for those who were aware, and those who were not, I did also create a list style format of the entire schedule as well... which listed the shoots by location then day and time.
At this time unless the con can come to an accord with the local area for using those space as 'official' locations, Unless they are set up in a roundabout way in the guide, they can't be published as locations...

I hadn't seen that list before and I like the idea of it! It's a bit more straightforward than the block schedule and helps mitigate the font size/visibility issue, though I'd recommend sorting the shoots first by day, then by time and location. From a user-end point of view, it would be easiest for me in planning a day at the con to be able to look exclusively at shoots on that day, then figure out the when and where, rather than having to scour the document just to find all the Friday shoots, for instance.

Please speak to whoever's in charge of the official/unofficial designations for next year. Having shoots at places like the Riverfront or Mariner's is not new, and there shouldn't be an issue in having congoers congregate in public, outdoor areas.

Raiji Magiwind wrote:--As for descriptions and details on how to get to locations, that is something I am going to be working on fixing for next year to help make it easier. I did set up a album in the Youmacon Cosplay and Photography FB page with images of the locations and descriptions on how to get there, but I will look at improving them all for next year. This will include how to get them from the PM and street levels.

Another great idea that I think would be helpful in printed form for newcomers and those who aren't aware of the FB--if not in the booklet, then as an extra supplement.

Raiji Magiwind wrote:--Meanwhile I will likely use some of the feedback from this year to better plan locations and go from there. I did actually go around with a buddy of mine whom is a professional photographer and we scoured Cobo for possible future new locations, so once I can get back images from him for those, I will likely look at proposing a few of them for new locations to add to the list of locations that can be used. I know the biggest issue is a decent number of the bigger fandoms are huge and we have very few 'large capacity' shoot locations set up as official spaces. Meanwhile with the renovations complete now as well... areas of the Riverfront Entrance side of Cobo are also possible options for the future.
Cause right now, we only have really as far as OFFICIAL locations the WIntergarden and the Upper area of the Cobo Atrium which just isn't enough. I might see if we can at least look at seeing about getting the Riverfront back on the list of official locations at least, as it was a location in the past.
I know the other big concern is looking at more and new official locations so one can try and move away from the GM Ren Cen if we can, as since the Mask/Prop rule makes setting up some shoots there before 5 a bit of a pain...

Oh, Cobo riverfront would probably be a good spot.

Agreed re: the mask/prop rule. We have a lot of space to work with away from Ren and could very well be making better use of it.

Thank you for your response!
2015 lineup:
Friday: Poison Ivy (DC)
Saturday: Edward Nygma (Gotham)

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Amberspike-Sama wrote:
Raiji Magiwind wrote:--The shoots for Mariner's, Hart Plaza, RIverfront and Stargate where set up in that format as I was trying to figure out a way to include these UNOFFICIAL locations, while not leaving them out completely. If the main issue was the font size, then I shall definitely make sure to increase it for the future. Though for those who were aware, and those who were not, I did also create a list style format of the entire schedule as well... which listed the shoots by location then day and time.

I hadn't seen that list before and I like the idea of it! It's a bit more straightforward than the block schedule and helps mitigate the font size/visibility issue, though I'd recommend sorting the shoots first by day, then by time and location. From a user-end point of view, it would be easiest for me in planning a day at the con to be able to look exclusively at shoots on that day, then figure out the when and where, rather than having to scour the document just to find all the Friday shoots, for instance.

Please speak to whoever's in charge of the official/unofficial designations for next year. Having shoots at places like the Riverfront or Mariner's is not new, and there shouldn't be an issue in having congoers congregate in public, outdoor areas.

Raiji Magiwind wrote:--As for descriptions and details on how to get to locations, that is something I am going to be working on fixing for next year to help make it easier. I did set up a album in the Youmacon Cosplay and Photography FB page with images of the locations and descriptions on how to get there, but I will look at improving them all for next year. This will include how to get them from the PM and street levels.

Another great idea that I think would be helpful in printed form for newcomers and those who aren't aware of the FB--if not in the booklet, then as an extra supplement.

Raiji Magiwind wrote:--Meanwhile I will likely use some of the feedback from this year to better plan locations and go from there. I did actually go around with a buddy of mine whom is a professional photographer and we scoured Cobo for possible future new locations, so once I can get back images from him for those, I will likely look at proposing a few of them for new locations to add to the list of locations that can be used. I know the biggest issue is a decent number of the bigger fandoms are huge and we have very few 'large capacity' shoot locations set up as official spaces. Meanwhile with the renovations complete now as well... areas of the Riverfront Entrance side of Cobo are also possible options for the future.

Oh, Cobo riverfront would probably be a good spot.

Agreed re: the mask/prop rule. We have a lot of space to work with away from Ren and could very well be making better use of it.

Thank you for your response!

Your welcome, and I shall think on going with by day first next time. But yeah, the plan was to have the list style and the grid one in the book, but as I mentioned the guy miscommunicated to me and Lauren the date (or sent it early) for the printer, so me and Lauren were both kinda like >.<

I might try and get back downtown sometime soon to try and get some shots of the spots near the Cobo Riverfront side that could be of use...since I know that there is like a section that almost like an open area...that would be nice.
As for the Riverfront I don't think I could see to much issue with it being made something official again, though I do know the Mariner's Church would likely stay something more unofficial, unless we look at talking to the parish office and just ask them hey 'do you mind if we allow small groups to use the entryway of your parish for small photoshoots?' Not only out of respect for the sacred grounds, but also as we would want to make sure no special ceremonies are happening on the days...
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

DragonGirl007
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby DragonGirl007 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Gah this is super late and I wish I had seen this thread sooner after Youmacon but....

First off, Happy New Year fellow Youmacon fans!

Second, my concern's about this years con are as follows:

1. The room block not being locked down. As mentioned above, the room block at the Renaissance Center specifically was not locked down which led to rooms being booked solid before anyone who couldn't get them until the room block was set up would be able to get a room. Thankfully I was able to nab one but still. Also when the room block was secured, no mention was made on any of Youmacon's social pages or the main site. This needs to be rectified ASAP.

2. The Maid Cafe. Good lord the Maid Cafe. This was, hands-down, the worst experience at a convention I have ever had. Having to stand in line and wait over two hours past the time designated on the ticket to get a seat was painful on my feet and upsetting because in the time where I should have been able to get a table, the Guests of Honor appearance hour had passed and I was unable to say hello to my favorite guest that had come to the Cafe (Steam Powered Giraffe, they were leaving by the time I got seated). The meager "apology" given by the Head of the Cafe was in poor taste as well and while I'm sure she was trying her best to work out the issue, a hasty apology to everyone in line doesn't make up for the time wasted in line that could have been used to go to another event/photoshoot/etc.

3. The schedule was also a concern of mine. Whoever decided to implement military timestamps into the schedule needs to stop that immediately. It was nearly impossible for me to determine what panels were when, and thank **** for the online version of the schedule that was actually laid out so you could see when things were occurring because I would not have been able to make the panels/events I wanted to without it. Speaking of events, why in the world was SPG scheduled to perform on Saturday rather than Friday evening as in past years? It was really odd to have them perform in the middle of the afternoon on Saturday (not to mention the concert started an hour late, as it always does. Can it be on time for once?), but that's just a minor gripe.
Youmacon 2016
* Thursday: Raven - Teen Titans (Cartoon Version)
* Friday: Ruby Rose - RWBY (Season 1 Version)
* Saturday: Mad Moxxi - Borderlands (Red Version)
* Sunday: N/A

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:10 pm

How did I not see this thread when I checked on here constantly for almost a month after the con @.@ Anyway, here's some of Duke's thoughts:

1. First, I want to say the guests this year were fabulous and I know that the convention may not be have a lot of control over guests having more than one meet and greet, but I was a bit sad that the one person I REALLY wanted to see only had one meet and greet time and that was when I had to be in the green room for the masquerade. I had someone wait in line to get his autograph for me and everything he did made me cry (from happiness). If we have no say for how long they are here or how many meets they do, is there a way to schedule them at times other than major events (the charity ball, maid cafe, game competitions and masq.)?

2. Please, more communication on the hotel situation. I (think) I read on the Facebook page that staff was hoping to have more information sooner which would be awesome, but the lack of communication for so long had a lot of people worrying.

3. Could there be options for women's style shirts for the Platinum badges? I adore the shirts that come with the badges, but I don't wear them often from the fit and how tight the neck is on the unisex shirts.

4. For the last two years (I've been plat for those years), the coupons for all the 'con swag' was either not ready or no one knew where they were being handed out. Can these please, please, PLEASE be ready for pick up with platinum badges in the future? The coupons have been the same the last two years but never ready or we were told 3 different places to go to or people didn't know. If they were all printed and either kept with the platinum badges or in a central location for staff to quickly grab, I think this would help.

5. I think this one is the last, at least for now, but this is the one that I really would like to see. I know in the past, the masquerade offered feedback on judging for contestants, I don't recall seeing the option to get the feedback this year and last year I never got my feedback. Is there a way for contestants to receive their feedback after the competition? I know I am always looking at ways to improve my craft, but not knowing what I could improve on (outside of what I want to work on), I don't really know what I could do. It could even be the judges notes on the back of the registration form or whatever; contestants could be told to return to the green room or where to go to pick the forms up even. I would personally love to know what thoughts went into the judging and how I can better myself for future cosplays and cons.

I think that's it! I wandered aimlessly more this year and had fun that way so I have no real say on the schedule and such; in the end, I still had fun but there's always room for improvements!
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

fbarraza
First Anime: Frank

Postby fbarraza » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Pandora Bracelet
Pandora Bracelet Charms
Pandora
Jordan Shoes
Under Armour Curry 5
Nike Roshes