Youmacon 2015 Official Photoshoot Review

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eleventh year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Youmacon 2015 Official Photoshoot Review

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:34 am

Alright folks time to hear how photoshoots went this year....

So please if you attended any photoshoots this year, take some time to fill this out. This way we can maybe see about addressing any fandom shoot related issues.

As for anything relating to the actual setting up of the rosters this year, comment on that below. How might I improve the rosters for next year? Any different formats I could look into for setting up photoshoots for 2016?

Youmacon Official Photoshoot Review: http://goo.gl/forms/U1SWfAvtiz

Meanwhile in regards to some shoots... some had no actual hosts....because no one in the fandom stepped up to host them (not that I didn't try to get those fandoms to have someone submit something), but where on my 2 page list of ones to be on the roster at least....

Also folks, for the future, a public official photoshoot doesn't need to have an official photographer to be scheduled.... if the group wants to have one then that is up to them. They are simply set up as a chance for all of the same fandom to gather and get pictures of those cosplaying the fandom at once... :D

These are those fandoms that were with no official host (but were on my Must Have List):
Friday: Kingdom Hearts, Yu Yu Hakusho, Lord of the Rings, Supernatural, Welcome to Nightvale, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Final Fantasy I-VI, Final Fantasy VII-Present, Hellsing, Orphen Black/Clone Club

Saturday: Uta no Prince-Sama (UtaPri), DC Universe, Free!, Legend of Zelda, Bethesda, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Furry/Fursiut/Anthro, Sword Art Online, Bleach, Madoka, Soul Eater, Soul Calibur/Guilty Gear/BlazeBlue/DoA, Horror Manga/Anime/Video Games, Blizzard, Nintendo, Internet Memes, Dance Party, Dramatical Murder

Sunday: Comic Book Heroes/Villians, My Little Pony, Disney/Square Enix, Hunter x Hunter, Steampunk
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

Goldeneyeuro
First Anime: Wolf's Rain

Re: Youmacon 2015 Official Photoshoot Review

Postby Goldeneyeuro » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:02 pm

I last came to Youmacon in 2013, and was really disappointed in how the photoshoots were run that year.

This year was a marked improvement, since there was a schedule up, A LOT of opportunities to sign up for slots, and you guys did a good job of promoting the new system, so that deserves merit. (And getting the schedule up early allows us to plan, THANK YOU FOR THAT)

The recommendations I'd say would make things better include either pictures on the forums, facebook pages, or website to show where photoshoot locations are since there was some confusion. Putting the locations on the map in the handbook would also help, along with using more concise terminology of locations (like "Cobo, outside panel room 310") instead of ("Cobo, South Atrium"). Also, please, please, please put the photoshoot schedule in the guidebook next year since that's treated by some as a master guide to the weekend.
http://www.flickr.com/Goldeneyeuro

Never be average- Me

When life has no purpose, you're dead already- Kiba, Wolf's Rain

2K15 cosplay:
Lavi, 2nd outfit, D. Gray Man
Light Yagami, Death Note
Munakata Reisi, K Project
Tsunashi Takuto, Star Driver

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Re: Youmacon 2015 Official Photoshoot Review

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:31 am

Well images are something I will definitely have on the forums too next year, though there was more activity on the FB groups then here. I did have an album with pictures and descriptions in the Youmacon Cosplay and Photography FB this year.

As for description, the locations are in general named by what they are called. though the true name on the Cobo South Atrium is the Riverfront Atrium. But one also needs to keep more concise names to, since there's only so much space.

As for the printing of stuff in the book, it actually was supposed to be, though some minor miscommunication to me and the LIve Events team as to when the person actually setting up the printing of the book, we were not told the right date to give the file over to be included, but that is the plan for 2016.

I am happy the submission system helped and I felt it was worth using since it allowed us to focus on at least one person or a set team to try and keep in contact with to coordinate the shoots for that fandom. I modeled the system to something similar used by the staff of Anime Weekend Atlanta, a con I attend in Atlanta, GA usually the month before. I felt it would work best, since this way there is a set person being responsible for the shoot that can be and act as the fandom's liaison for shoot choices.
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

Return to “2015 Memories and Feedback”