Con Horror Stories

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our tenth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Ajaredheart
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew

Con Horror Stories

Postby Ajaredheart » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 pm

There's a thread for this almost every year, and I think it's fine time to resurrect it. Post your worst con moments. Even if they weren't absolutely terrible, tell us about a few things that made you a little less than happy this year.

To be fair, I guess I'll start off with some things I didn't really like. Friday of the con was pretty bad weather-wise. The rain and lack of proper outerwear kinda killed the walk from the Ren Cen to Cobo. Also, during the whole walk, my friends (high school boys) were pretty much screaming the whole time. We weren't supposed to split up, which I understand, but all they wanted to do was spend time in the video game room. I wanted to visit some panels, so I missed out on that. :( I also lost my phone on Friday night (completely my fault) but then Con Ops sent me to the Marriott Lobby where I picked it up, so it wasn't all bad. One of the days, I remember not being able to survive ten minutes in Tabletop gaming because of the smell, but the next day, it aired out fine. I still managed to have a fun weekend. Saw some familiar faces from online and got to take plenty pictures. Was a pretty decent weekend in summary. I'll be coming again next year.

I_am_Varrick
First Anime: Death Note

Re: Con Horror Stories

Postby I_am_Varrick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 pm

When I was in the bathroom near the food court, I ran into a homeless guy. Ordinarily this wouldn't be quite so creepy, after all just running into one isn't a curse. What makes this story a bit creepy, though, is the fact that when he tried to talk to me.. he couldn't really speak well at all. I couldn't understand him (perhaps he has a neurological issue, which is sad), and he kept on trying to point out I had a mustache on my face (from the make up I used) . I sort of nodded and said "yes", and he eventually left. It was a bit creepy.

Supreveio
First Anime: Steins;Gate

Postby Supreveio » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:29 am

The RenCen tried to steal money from a credit card we told them not to charge to. Two days after we paid for our room in full, mostly in cash.
When we called them out on it, they gave us some authorization codes to cancel the charges. But only the RenCen had the authority to actually cancel the charges. So my friend had to sit around for 3 hours waiting for one of the managers to get in.

Doesn't help that they charged us $160 more than the receipt said we owed, that the room was the worst I'd ever been in, and that they just charged the card again a few minutes ago.

r3liability
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin

Postby r3liability » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:11 pm

I may be a horror story. Friday night I went down to wintergarden to see some friends. Decided to pregame a safe amount for me, but I did so on an empty stomach= 3x as bad. Most of my night is blacked out. Apparently I drunk-called a friend, kept yelling for friends that were not there. When my buddy was dragging me back, from wintergarden up to the elevators, I had been far too forward with everybody on the way there. If you had a bad experience with an intoxicated Mori cosplayer on Halloween, it was most likely me. For that I am very sorry, and can only beg forgiveness. :bow:

DanteIsAGenius
First Anime: Blue's Clues (it IS an animation)

Postby DanteIsAGenius » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Okay, so on Friday, I was dressed as Fem Yoichi Hiruma, from Eyeshield 21. On that day, nothing really that bad happened, except for the fact that my feet hurt a bit, and some creepy guy told me that he "Liked my skirt." F.Y.I. the guy didn't really look like the type who wore pleats... :nono: Other than that, Friday was just dandy!

As for Saturday...Well, that's another story entirely! I was dressed as Fem Vergil, from Devil May Cry 3, that day, and I know my outfit wasn't exactly the most modest, but some people need to learn what "personal space" is for crying out loud! I was in line with my family, dad dressed as Ghost Rider included, for the People Mover, and some creep was literally trying to get as close to me as humanly possible. He would get right behind me, and every time I would take a step forward, he would push his way back into my personal space. I could seriously feel him breathing down my neck! And get this! We got through the little spinning bar thing, that lets you proceed toward the People Mover, and it turns out that Creeper-Dude had no intentions of ever boarding the vehicle. I turn around, and he's gone...Really made me a bit angry that some people can bring themselves to act so foolishly. Again, I know I wasn't dressed the best (well really, I just had cleavage...so it wasn't even that bad!), but don't people understand that it's not for them, it's for the costume!? And really, I don't care how anyone is dressed, fully clothed, or naked; you just shouldn't behave that way! Ahhh...Sorry.

The rest of Saturday was great though, other than my feet. Wearing killer platform high heels for 10+ hours does not feel very good. My sister had a similar experience, even though her heels weren't quite as steep. It was kind of pathetic, with us dressed as these fearsome demonic warriors and all... being unable to walk, and having to stop and rest like every 2-3 minutes. But despite it all, I'd do it all over again!

Really though, these events didn't necessarily make me like the convention itself any less...they were just a bit frustrating. :|
Find this Crazy "Devil May Cry-Oholic" on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAOT82X5xTxP98RQJ50r_MQ

Fem! Dante: DMC3 2012-2013
Moka: Rosario+Vampire 2013
Fem! Hiruma: Eyeshield 21 2014
"Lady Vergil": DMC3 2014-2015
Lady: DMC3 2015

Ranma344
First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby Ranma344 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:09 pm

DanteIsAGenius wrote:Okay, so on Friday, I was dressed as Fem Yoichi Hiruma, from Eyeshield 21. On that day, nothing really that bad happened, except for the fact that my feet hurt a bit, and some creepy guy told me that he "Liked my skirt." F.Y.I. the guy didn't really look like the type who wore pleats... :nono: Other than that, Friday was just dandy!

As for Saturday...Well, that's another story entirely! I was dressed as Fem Vergil, from Devil May Cry 3, that day, and I know my outfit wasn't exactly the most modest, but some people need to learn what "personal space" is for crying out loud! I was in line with my family, dad dressed as Ghost Rider included, for the People Mover, and some creep was literally trying to get as close to me as humanly possible. He would get right behind me, and every time I would take a step forward, he would push his way back into my personal space. I could seriously feel him breathing down my neck! And get this! We got through the little spinning bar thing, that lets you proceed toward the People Mover, and it turns out that Creeper-Dude had no intentions of ever boarding the vehicle. I turn around, and he's gone...Really made me a bit angry that some people can bring themselves to act so foolishly. Again, I know I wasn't dressed the best (well really, I just had cleavage...so it wasn't even that bad!), but don't people understand that it's not for them, it's for the costume!? And really, I don't care how anyone is dressed, fully clothed, or naked; you just shouldn't behave that way! Ahhh...Sorry.

The rest of Saturday was great though, other than my feet. Wearing killer platform high heels for 10+ hours does not feel very good. My sister had a similar experience, even though her heels weren't quite as steep. It was kind of pathetic, with us dressed as these fearsome demonic warriors and all... being unable to walk, and having to stop and rest like every 2-3 minutes. But despite it all, I'd do it all over again!

Really though, these events didn't necessarily make me like the convention itself any less...they were just a bit frustrating. :|

As sad as it is, I noticed a lot of this kind of stuff happening throughout the weekend. I even stepped in on one occasion where I noticed a couple guys getting way too close to some girls who definitely were not interested. I don't get the point of doing things in such a creepy manner, and being so persistent, as if you have some sort of right to touch whoever you want.

As for horror stories, outside of a friend of mine being a very embarrassing individual at times, I can't say I had any problems at the con... Though I'm quite positive I scared a few people unintentionally, being that I'm quite a big guy, and can look intimidating... I really hope I'm not anyone's horror story, lol.

kyuryu
First Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby kyuryu » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:07 pm

r3liability wrote:I may be a horror story. Friday night I went down to wintergarden to see some friends. Decided to pregame a safe amount for me, but I did so on an empty stomach= 3x as bad. Most of my night is blacked out. Apparently I drunk-called a friend, kept yelling for friends that were not there. When my buddy was dragging me back, from wintergarden up to the elevators, I had been far too forward with everybody on the way there. If you had a bad experience with an intoxicated Mori cosplayer on Halloween, it was most likely me. For that I am very sorry, and can only beg forgiveness. :bow:

You weren't that bad when I ran into you on the elevator, though you did apologize to us all like 7 times, and tried to take a few pic of one of the others while we were riding down.

kyuryu
First Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby kyuryu » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Not exactly a horror story...but the Ren Cen hotel sucked this year. We asked for a few extra pillows and a razor on Thursday night and they didn't bring them up (wasn't a huge deal, as the extra pillows were for 2 friends that only stayed that night), then on Saturday night we called down for a pillow again (for my Canadian friend who needed some crash space) and some toilet paper (which we were completely out of) and they didn't bring that either. We woke up at like 8am on Sunday and spent the entire morning getting the last of our stuff out of the room and getting into our cosplay for the day(we were out of the room by 10). I went down to check out in person because I wanted to complain about the lack of things re requested/NEEDED (the toilet paper) and I find out that they tried to charge me for internet on Sunday...when not a one of us had TIME to use the internet.
I'm glad that I went down and found that out. They also comped me a measly $25 for the "lack of amenities" that they didn't bring up, but I still think the entire situation was a bag of BS. I GET that they were busy, I do understand that, but to ignore a guest like that that is there for only a weekend and is paying you what is essentially a month's rent has got to be some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. My group is already looking for an alternative hotel for next year.

young-bd
Registration Staff
First Anime: Full Metal Alchemist

Postby young-bd » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:09 am

Youmacon X was my very first big convention ever (1st one was two weeks prior at the tiny Great Lakes Comicon at Macomb Community College which you could easily fit twice into Youma's Dealer's Room).
I applied for and was granted an Internship at Youmacon X.

I arrived at Registration in Cobo shortly before closing on Thursday evening.
Once I had my 3-day and People Mover passes, I was told to check in with Volunteer Ops at the Ren Cen.

Half an hour later, navigating the pathways of the Ren Cen for the first time, I finally make it to Volunteer Ops where I am informed that my position has been changed from "VAT" in the Ren Cen to "Registration" which had just closed at Cobo. I also learned that my Intern badge would be given to me by the department head when I started work the next morning. When I asked for the Intern badge the next morning, was told they had already been given to Volunteer Ops at the Ren Cen.

On my way to Volunteer Ops at the Ren Cen on the 4th floor, I got on the wrong elevator. It was a guest room elevator that required a room key card be inserted before pressing you desired floor and the 4th floor had for some reason been locked out of the system. Once I reached the 46th floor, after stopping on the 17th, 19th, 24th, 28th, 32nd, 33rd, 37th, and 42nd floors, a guest going down got on the elevator and tried to hit 4 with his key card only to find it still wouldn't work. So back on the 2nd floor, I walked around and took the escalators up to 4. Finally got my Intern Badge on Saturday. :bzz:

Interns are given a room but left to their own devices for food. By Saturday I had finally heard of the food court at the bottom of the Ren Cen and after getting my Intern badge, asked how to get there. Another intern guided me and left me with directions back to the people mover.

About the only Hotel related horror story was after allowing the "hot" water to run for 15 minutes, it never warmed up. I called the front desk who sent up a maintenance person. He turned on the faucet and five minutes later there was hot water. He told me how the system works and that I need to let it run for 30 minutes to get hot water. He also mentioned that was something the front desk and phone would never tell you for some reason.

During a late night panel I was volunteering for, to get a few more hours after Registration had closed, the Panelists instructed that no more people were allowed in and anyone not working or participating in the workshop had to leave. A guy came to the door and said he needed to speak with one of the participants just to get his room key. They allowed him in and after speaking to his friend, he stood at the back of the room. I respectfully told him he had to leave. He responded with, "I don't have to leave, but I will because you were being courteous." I responded with "Thank You" to which he seemed to need to have the last line by saying, "You're mostly welcome".

Registration ran out of the printed schedules a few times, which was annoying for the fact that it was one of my duties to stuff the green bags and get the schedules and programs out to the tables.

Speaking of bag stuffing, we had a great crew of 6-8 people stuffing bags on Friday, 3-4 on Saturday, and I started Sunday stuffing bags by myself. Another person showed up for a little while but that was it.

ki_chan
First Anime: Sailormoon

Postby ki_chan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:28 pm

I didn't have anything too horrible happen but it sounds like a lot of people didn't anticipate the holding fees that Marriott puts on your card. I was getting nervous Thursday night because most of the people I saw go up to the counter ended up standing there clearly having issues with something. But I thankfully anticipated all of the fees and charges and made it through effortlessly.

I think my biggest issue was a lot of people with odor. People with fur suits and tales... please spray them down or find some way to clean and air them out. I had one dude in a partial fur suit (the tail) standing in front of me while I was waiting in line for a panel, and he kept swinging his tail in my face and I kept getting the odor from his tail wafting in my face. It was pretty bad. I was also sat next to a guy on the people mover, again with a fursuit and he smelled pretty sour himself. I understand some cosplays just cannot be washed, but try to air them out and find a way to spray them down. And if you can't do that then don't wear them for long periods of time.

Also I'm not 100% sure but I think one of the gaming vendors was selling bootlegs. I had bought a copy of an old game from the 90s factory sealed at one of them and then later I passed some people griping about how one of the vendors had sold them a bootleg. I am still doing research on how to tell if my version of the game is legit but I have 2 concerns: the games usually come with a seal of authenticity which the game did not have, and the game was shrink wrapped. PS1 games were not ever shrink wrapped if I recall correctly.

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:25 am

kyuryu wrote:Not exactly a horror story...but the Ren Cen hotel sucked this year. We asked for a few extra pillows and a razor on Thursday night and they didn't bring them up (wasn't a huge deal, as the extra pillows were for 2 friends that only stayed that night), then on Saturday night we called down for a pillow again (for my Canadian friend who needed some crash space) and some toilet paper (which we were completely out of) and they didn't bring that either. We woke up at like 8am on Sunday and spent the entire morning getting the last of our stuff out of the room and getting into our cosplay for the day(we were out of the room by 10). I went down to check out in person because I wanted to complain about the lack of things re requested/NEEDED (the toilet paper) and I find out that they tried to charge me for internet on Sunday...when not a one of us had TIME to use the internet.
I'm glad that I went down and found that out. They also comped me a measly $25 for the "lack of amenities" that they didn't bring up, but I still think the entire situation was a bag of BS. I GET that they were busy, I do understand that, but to ignore a guest like that that is there for only a weekend and is paying you what is essentially a month's rent has got to be some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. My group is already looking for an alternative hotel for next year.

I'm glad you got comped for them not getting you stuff! We stayed at the Courtyard across the street and they threw out a bag of our dirty laundry and REFUSED to compensate us or even apologize for it. The supervisor of the house keepers said she cleaned our room and wouldn't have thrown away the clothes as she's been doing this for 14 years. I find that hard to believe that it didn't get thrown away during cleaning as we had two VERY expensive laptops sitting out in the open that didn't turn up missing.

I wrote their corporate last week after figuring nothing was going to happen and they said they would put me in contact with the executive of the hotel. It's been almost a week and still no word...

I have plans on how to handle dirty laundry in the future, but that experience is making me consider also looking at different hotels. Luckily, that was the worst of my experience in the convention and at least it wasn't my costume that was thrown out.
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

r3liability
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin

Postby r3liability » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:52 pm

kyuryu wrote:
r3liability wrote:I may be a horror story. Friday night I went down to wintergarden to see some friends. Decided to pregame a safe amount for me, but I did so on an empty stomach= 3x as bad. Most of my night is blacked out. Apparently I drunk-called a friend, kept yelling for friends that were not there. When my buddy was dragging me back, from wintergarden up to the elevators, I had been far too forward with everybody on the way there. If you had a bad experience with an intoxicated Mori cosplayer on Halloween, it was most likely me. For that I am very sorry, and can only beg forgiveness. :bow:

You weren't that bad when I ran into you on the elevator, though you did apologize to us all like 7 times, and tried to take a few pic of one of the others while we were riding down.

Well I feel much better about it. My friends made it sound like I could have gotten in trouble.

DemonBlackDragon
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby DemonBlackDragon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:47 am

As Franky my shoulders kept snapping off... I had to keep going to the room to fix them..
Youmacon 2017 cosplay list:
Thursday: Male Ryoko with Female Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo)
Friday: The Joker with Harley Quinn (Batman)
Saturday:Hannyabal with Sadi (One Piece)
Sunday: Hugo with Posion (Streetfighter X Tekken)

touchmyostrich
First Anime: Naruto

Postby touchmyostrich » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 am

DemonBlackDragon wrote:As Franky my shoulders kept snapping off... I had to keep going to the room to fix them..

I feel ya man, I learned my lesson not to use hot glue on things that had any pressure on it because it won't hold T^T my belt for Alka kept coming apart

Ranma344
First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby Ranma344 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:56 pm

DemonBlackDragon wrote:As Franky my shoulders kept snapping off... I had to keep going to the room to fix them..

It was for this reason that I kept a mini repair kit for my hook with me at all times.

Return to “2014 Memories”