Official Youmacon 2014 Feedback thread.

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our tenth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Allenzero1
First Anime: Gundam Wing

Re: Official Youmacon 2014 Feedback thread.

Postby Allenzero1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:31 am

I will start my thoughts with the dealers room an move along...

Honestly it would be nice to have some cheeper banners.
Seriously majority over 100$ you could go online for some of them an they were only 20$ so it would be nice next year to see a better mix of price ranges.
But other than that it was quite well put together.

I agree with a vast majority of ppl I've talked to Theft seemed to be more the issue,
Combine that with people foolishly leaving valuables an other more desirable items laying around carelessly unsecured an in plain view unattended it was a recipe for failure.

As for staff the even was fairly well taken care of besides a pair of members I wont name.
But at one in particular was extremely rude an I almost found myself demanding his name an notifying con security of there staff members unacceptable behavior.

As I had gotten off the elevator I steped to the side,
(Out of the walkway)
An was in the brief process of checking whether I was on the correct floor.
The staff member approached me an said
"you need to leave the hall dude..."
This seemed tolerable other than intending to get back on the elevator to a different floor momentarily,
As I said was taking a second to check which.
I told him,
"Excuse me Sir but I am about to use the elevator I am currently checking which floor which isn't against any policy I know of."
His responce was absolutely unacceptable an beyond disrespectful borderline verbal assualt.
Ok next few people come this way an step around this **** asshole right here!"
I ignored an did not respond further despite threats to lay his hands on me.
I finished checking an was on my way momentarily to 68th floor upstairs from 4th I believe.
Point being there was definitely some problems with staff abusing the privileges of authority.
Luckily for him he kept his hands to himself an his threats proved empty.

An last thing some individuals were reporting serious problems with the leaving of bags to the side during the Rave both nights.
As in staff refusing without proff an displaying of a bags contents to public to release bags.
Some people were extremely embarrassed to have medical items of a personal nature displayed.
Next Con I belive that there could be very serious improvements made for a Bag Check In setup.
The Rave from what I have heard proved also the biggest time an source of theft thanks to a very poorly coordinated method of checking bags to the side
[b]I would recommend further education & seminar on various points for staff to avoid future potential conflict which would reflect poorly upon the convention./[B]

An thats my feedback for this years Youmacon.

Supreveio
First Anime: Steins;Gate

Postby Supreveio » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:37 am

Move the con out of the Ren Cen entirely. Please.

Getting ripped off for a hotel room is not a fun con experience.

Jenieve
Tabletop DH

Postby Jenieve » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:41 am

Okami5567 wrote:Well even though I didn't get to do much this Youma for reason's unrelated to Youmacon itself it seemed as awesome as always. And while I'm usually not the type to just complain, I kind of feel that's what this thread is for so here's all my complains...

Thursday Pre-Registration
Registration itself wasn't that bad, my complaint is the lack of a bag with a schedule. Having to borrow schedules from others that got their badge Friday is just silly. Of course it seems like a lack of planning because...

Schedules
Why on earth did we have two schedules this year? Well, again, I would be asking but it seems due to a lack of planning. Here's my theory on why the schedule was just a print off and here's why... My theory is that the schedule online was put up just to appease people who were enraged one was up three days before Youmacon. In truth, even Thursday the schedule wasn't done... The reason I'm assuming this is because the schedule was wrong for the TFS Panel and it failed to indicate which 1 AM was referred to on the night daylight savings times ended.

Tabletop Gaming Room
Dear lord, I know that no con has decent organization in their table top rooms but I at least expected the organization would slightly increase the bigger the con got, not that it would become a bigger mess. I entered three tournaments and funny enough, I have a story for each one, well, aside from EVERY tournament starting an hour late.

Friday Cardfight - Slightly grateful but the organizer's actually forgot to collect an entry fee for this tournament. Of course, this is because they had literally no idea what they were doing. It seemed like whenever cardfight was involved I had to start a sign up sheet (Although my name sometimes got lost because a new one would be started later even though I was told to start a sign up sheet and they were aware of it's existence). Perhaps the worst part though is that for this first tournament there were no time limits on rounds. We only had nine people and the tournament started at 1, I was sure I'd have plenty of time to eat between when it finished and my next tournament began, but due to the lack of time limits and some new players playing each other we ended up going to 5. I'm just lucky that the next tournament that was supposed to begin at 4 was hosted by the same people.

Friday Weiss Schwarz - Now this tournament actually went pretty smoothly... Why? Because we had official judges playing in the event. As for those who organized the event, they didn't even know if it was a best of one or a best of three until I asked during the first round. Not to mention no one in the tournament knew that it was single elimination until they were not announced for the second round.

Sunday Cardfight - The "big" card tournament for cardfight, more people, higher entry, better prizes. Aside from it starting an hour late and actually going over a half hour into the table top rooms closing time the tournament wasn't that bad. But imagine my suprise when I got first and found out that the pool was going to be split amongst the top 4. I really wouldn't have minded if I knew that ahead of time, but I'm pretty sure it was a last second decision.

YuGiOh - Didn't play, but heard a friend did. Apparently while a lot was advertised about the event, none of it was true. Go figure...

Overall - We have a year to plan for Youmacon, why can't the tabletop gameroom spend that time and have their **** together? Like seriously, come up with a format, post it. Come up with a prize distribution, post it. Set a time and stick to it. I really feel like I'm only asking for really basic stuff here....

Video Game Tournaments

In part, what happened was mostly my fault and I'll agree to that... I had planned all Saturday to play in video game tournaments, but, much to my surprise, when I went to sign up Saturday they were all filled. Now it makes sense that when working with a limited time tournaments will fill up, but not everyone would know this so it would have been nice to have a little disclaimer that tournament space is limited. I could have signed up Friday morning if I knew. Granted, it would have been just as well to say that registration is open all weekend, or have registration open two hours before the tournament...

Other than all that though, Youmacon was awesome. Would just like to see better organization, there's a year to go before the next one. Lots of time to work on it.

As the DH of Tabletop I can address your issues there. The dealer we had in the back of the room had as part of his contract that he would handle all the CCG tournament. It was not due to disorginazation on tabletops part. At the time that the CCG tournament was being run I also had 20 other events running at the same time. I am sorry things did not go off smoothly for you regarding the CCG tournaments and I will talk to the dealer about it.

Blake
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby Blake » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

To begin, I'll start by saying that I'm that guy who spends about 80% of my time at Youmacon in the game/arcade room :D . So this is post is mainly about that this year. (Also, I was the guy wearing the blue and black/ green and black Superman shirt with the large biceps 8) lol) But anyways, I can explain last years game room in one word in my opinion. EXCELLENT. There was very little traffic build in areas, I was able to play alot of the games I wanted to throughout the weekend, some consoles had a lot more controllers connected making it easy to join a game and the room felt very hype all day. But overall, the game room was just a wonderful place to be last year.

HOWEVER, this year, I feel the game room took a turn for the worst. Upon arriving, I notice one big difference; in that the room just seemed alot smaller compared to last year, which led to huge traffic build ups especially during the peak times Saturday. Also along those lines, it seemed to be very noticeable around the Smash tournament area and the people just playing Smash casually. But all and all, there just alot of build up in the game room which made uncomfortable to move around. Another point I may add, was that for some reason ALL of the Halo and Call of Duty games were SUPER laggy at points; something I did not experience last year. I dont know if other games had the same happen also, but it was extremely frustrating and it made it almost unplayable. Also, i dont know if was just me, but I LOVED how the lightning was last year in the game room. I mean it's not a big deal, but just like I playing games in a darker room... :D . Theres a few other things that I didnt care too much for that cant think of right now, but that was some of the main things.

Sadly, I just feel that OVERALL, the game room was a big step down from last year.
Last edited by Blake on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayneeWasTaken
First Anime: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

Postby JayneeWasTaken » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:16 pm

As always, Youmacon is a fun experience. Cosplaying, meeting cool people, buying unique stuff from the dealer's room and overall just having a good time sums up what I try to make of it, and what I think most people do, too. :)

I do have one major criticism - and that is the panels. First of all, my fiance and I are YouTubers - we are very popular in the League of Legends community with him at over 600k subscribers and I currently at over 200k. Last year we had a fan meet and the turnout was pretty good, and this year we've grown even more, as well as we've done other panels since then. So, this year we decided to try and get a panel at Youmacon - we applied very early just in case. We were met with no response at all, and when we followed up asking for some sort of response, we were met with a very rude email back stating that they "do not have the time or resources to reply to each individual person". We would not have emailed with our questions had we not read on Youmacon's website that we should "use this email for any questions or concerns regarding panels". ANYWAYS, regardless of how rude they were to us, our panel was eventually (shortly before the con) declined. We were really surprised - I know there are a lot of people who are into League of Legends who come to Youmacon and we thought even those who weren't interested in League would be interested on hearing what we had to say, as we planned on answering questions and going over what it is like to be a YouTuber as well. Although we had an interesting topic and a huge fanbase, we were still declined. We were disappointed and surprised, but we got over it and decided to not let it ruin our con. However, we were also very disappointed in the selection of panels that DID get approved. This is not to sound mean or rude to anyone who had a panel - but next to none of them sounded interesting, and for the ones we did attend, I don't think most people were really prepared or had any experience whatsoever in doing a panel. It is boring if people do not know what to talk about or do during their panel, and aggravating that we got declined when we could have done so much better. Some of you might think "OH WELL EVERYONE DESERVES A CHANCE TO DO A PANEL", or "THAT'S REALLY MEAN, THEY TRIED THEIR BEST", but that is simply unrealistic and unprofessional. I am being very blunt and harsh about this more because of how unprofessional Youmacon was about it - I applaud any of you that got a panel and made it a success. Regardless, we did a fanmeet again this year and had probably triple the turnout of last year, and it was really crowded and hard to manage. It would have been much easier to have a panel, but I guess what's done is done, and I still really enjoyed meeting our fans. :) Please, do not take offense to any of this, it is simply my honest view and the view of many other people that went to Youmacon and discussed this with me.

TL;DR My fiance and I are popular League of Legends YouTubers who tried getting a panel at Youmacon, got no response for months on end, were met with a rude response when following up with another email, and then were declined shortly before the con. We were disappointed with the selection of panels and the unprofessional attitude of Youmacon about it, however we are happy for any of you that got a panel and made it a success. :) We did a fan meet and had a huge turnout which would have been a lot easier to manage had we gotten a panel, but with the response Youmacon gave us, I can only assume they could care less. I still had fun and met a lot of cool people though.

Time Lady Katie
First Anime: Sailor Moon <3

Postby Time Lady Katie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Jaynee, I think that part of why so few new panels were admitted this year has to do with the fact that they dropped the ball on panel applications. They just didn't spend the time or energy vetting new panelists because they were so rushed to get panels done at all. And you can tell that the things approved in the third wave of approvals seemed random as all hell. I think if they prevent this problem next year the entire process will be more equitable.
Youma 2014 Cosplays:
Raine, Tales of Symphonia
Chitose, YuruYuri
And Others

Host of: Lily Girls, Talk Yuri to Me, Atelier Juu and Katie

JayneeWasTaken
First Anime: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

Postby JayneeWasTaken » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Time Lady Katie wrote:Jaynee, I think that part of why so few new panels were admitted this year has to do with the fact that they dropped the ball on panel applications. They just didn't spend the time or energy vetting new panelists because they were so rushed to get panels done at all. And you can tell that the things approved in the third wave of approvals seemed random as all hell. I think if they prevent this problem next year the entire process will be more equitable.

Yeah, they probably should have started working on things like that earlier. The fact that we got the reply saying we were declined only a few days before the con says a lot about how late they left it. They should definitely work on improving this for next year, mainly by taking a little more time earlier on to look at the panels and make their decisions. c:

divinelychaotic

Postby divinelychaotic » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

I didn't get a picture or signature from you or Keyori, but I did see you guys at your fan meet. I'm really glad you guys could make it out and I really hope to see both of you return next year!

Jenieve
Tabletop DH

Postby Jenieve » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 pm

JayneeWasTaken wrote:
Time Lady Katie wrote:Jaynee, I think that part of why so few new panels were admitted this year has to do with the fact that they dropped the ball on panel applications. They just didn't spend the time or energy vetting new panelists because they were so rushed to get panels done at all. And you can tell that the things approved in the third wave of approvals seemed random as all hell. I think if they prevent this problem next year the entire process will be more equitable.

Yeah, they probably should have started working on things like that earlier. The fact that we got the reply saying we were declined only a few days before the con says a lot about how late they left it. They should definitely work on improving this for next year, mainly by taking a little more time earlier on to look at the panels and make their decisions. c:

The reason the panel form was late going up is because the person who created the panel app program decided not to work on staff for Youmacon and took the program with them. That ment we had to come up with a new app. We ran out of time with all the other web/ server issues to create the program for the panels. Live events received over 400 panel apps this year and they had to go through each one and send messages one by one. It wasn't that they wanted to wait it just was too many things all at once that created the delay.

Time Lady Katie

Postby Time Lady Katie » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:20 am

Jenieve wrote:
JayneeWasTaken wrote:

The reason the panel form was late going up is because the person who created the panel app program decided not to work on staff for Youmacon and took the program with them. That ment we had to come up with a new app. We ran out of time with all the other web/ server issues to create the program for the panels. Live events received over 400 panel apps this year and they had to go through each one and send messages one by one. It wasn't that they wanted to wait it just was too many things all at once that created the delay.

I'm surprised how long it took to replace the form, but you all were probably blindsided by the problem so it's understandable. Just please don't let it happen again and look into ways to make use of a bit more space in Cobo to help offset the increased interest in panels and I think a lot, really most, of the problems of this Youma will be resolved going forward.
Youma 2014 Cosplays:
Chitose, YuruYuri
And Others

Sub Zippo
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Speed Racer

Postby Sub Zippo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:24 am

One thing I neglected to mention in the long feedback form I filled out, I was especially disappointed in the programs this year. Not having the schedule printed in them was one thing, but not having panel descriptions, achievements, or even cover art was horrible. The program is an important part of the con experience and I hope those things come back.
Con pics on facebook http://www.facebook.com/nateyork82/photos_albums
Con videos on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/subzippo

Time Lady Katie

Postby Time Lady Katie » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:27 am

Oh, hey, this is something I just remembered and you can make a debate on fairness here, but overflow lines. I was a lone attendee in an overflow line for a panel and I had to wait for the group of six in front of me to all get seats. Either you should split the group up and let them in one at a time or move on to the next group you can fit into the room. That's my perspective on it, anyway. And, as a host of a panel, I'd rather serve the most people than have to wait for one large group to be seated in order for anyone else in my overflow line to get into the room.
Youma 2014 Cosplays:
Chitose, YuruYuri
And Others

Sally
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Sally » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Supreveio wrote:Move the con out of the Ren Cen entirely. Please.

You do realize that you do not have to stay at a hotel in order to go to the convention, right?

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Sub Zippo wrote:One thing I neglected to mention in the long feedback form I filled out, I was especially disappointed in the programs this year. Not having the schedule printed in them was one thing, but not having panel descriptions, achievements, or even cover art was horrible. The program is an important part of the con experience and I hope those things come back.
They did the right thing with the schedule not being printed in the program book. The schedule should be on separate paper given with the program book. The book needs to be sent to print 2-3 weeks ahead. There will always be changes to the schedule in the last 2 weeks. Any schedule printed in the book will be out of date by the time of the event, it only needs to be sent to printers the monday or tuesday before the event.
There is however no reason for that other stuff not to be in the book.

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Sally wrote:
Supreveio wrote:Move the con out of the Ren Cen entirely. Please.

You do realize that you do not have to stay at a hotel in order to go to the convention, right?
Also, Cobo is not open 24 hours. If Cobo is like any other convention center I've worked with, Youmacon would have to pay the overtime costs for the Cobo staff to keep it open those extra hours. If Youmacon is to remain a 24 hour con, either badge prices will have to go up around 20-30%, or a hotel with a large amount of event space near Cobo will need to work with Youmacon. As it is, the nearest hotel with the amount of event space Youmacon would need, that isn't RenCen, is in Greek Town.

Return to “2014 Memories”