Official Youmacon 2014 Feedback thread.

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our tenth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Mairen

Re: Official Youmacon 2014 Feedback thread.

Postby Mairen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:42 am

Please include panel descriptions in the book! I feel like this is asked for almost every year and almost every year, this request is ignored. People really need to know what the panels are before they can decide if they want to go to them. Yeah, some are probably self explanatory, but most are not.

Also, when people pick up their badges, why not include a bag of the schedule, a map of the building so we know where things are and other information pamphlets? It would mean so much to people and make everyone happy.

please no more official/unofficial photoshoots. Lets just have one list of "official" photoshoots and have everything happy and organized. I know it was kind of hard because the photoshoots are usually scheduled via the forums which were kind of abandoned this year.

lastly, as has been said by others, if you are going to abandon the forums, then close them down or make an announcement or something o.o when people come here and post questions and they are then ignored for months, it doesn't make anyone but youmacon look bad. you can get this place thriving again if you start directing people from facebook back over here where we can have nice organized discussions.

Amberspike-Sama
First Anime: .

Postby Amberspike-Sama » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I went through registration early Friday afternoon (around 1:00) and was not impressed by the way it was handled. In spite of having a large, empty room for registration that had roped off areas for the line to weave through, the line was left out in the hallway with only a few people being let into the room at a time. As a result, a staff member had to constantly go up and down and remind people to stand close to the wall to avoid blockading the hallway. It frankly did create some unnecessary confusion and somewhat of a safety hazard and I have no idea why it was done that way. That room was huge, guys--use that space to your advantage and only then let the overflow out into the hallway if you have to.

Loved the Charity Ball this year. The staff showed up early to sell tickets at the door--no confusion this year about whether they were being sold elsewhere--and I was pleased to see the DJ change this year wasn't an issue. The inclusion of more swing era music was pretty cool.

I had no issues with the Cobo photoshoot locations. A huge thank-you to whoever put out the signs marking them!

I'm not sure what was going on re: people's personal bags and coats and the rave. It appeared as though some staff members were permitting people to leave them behind the tables and my friend figured she could do the same, only to be told to take her backpack "back to her hotel room" (we commuted to the con and were parked on Cobo roof, so she had to go back out there to deposit it.) In general, the staff I interacted with around this event were rude and short with me--which I can understand, because there was a lot of wild behavior going on that they were trying to control--but which was offputting all the same. If memory serves (do correct me if I'm wrong), I also don't think there were water coolers and paper cups in the area either, which is rather concerning for a dance that doesn't allow bottles to be brought in.

Overall, I had a good experience this year. There were some disorganization issues that should have been addressed, but they didn't severely impact me, and I was able to attend the events I wished to attend.
2015 lineup:
Friday: Poison Ivy (DC)
Saturday: Edward Nygma (Gotham)

Osseovs
First Anime: Tetsujin 28-Go

Postby Osseovs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Amberspike-Sama wrote:I went through registration early Friday afternoon (around 1:00) and was not impressed by the way it was handled. In spite of having a large, empty room for registration that had roped off areas for the line to weave through, the line was left out in the hallway with only a few people being let into the room at a time. As a result, a staff member had to constantly go up and down and remind people to stand close to the wall to avoid blockading the hallway. It frankly did create some unnecessary confusion and somewhat of a safety hazard and I have no idea why it was done that way. That room was huge, guys--use that space to your advantage and only then let the overflow out into the hallway if you have to.

I would like to second this. Friday's pre-reg line was moved to random parts of the hallway at least three instances in the time I was in it, which led to obvious confusion. Oakland Hall is colossal and contained (for the most part), and that should be used to the con's advantage, if possible. I can't necessarily knock the staff's approach to organising, though, as crowd control on that scale in general is a headache in itself.

solidfalcon
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby solidfalcon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:19 pm

I had fun at this year's Youma! But like all previous conventions, this one had its share of problems that I hope are adjusted in the future. The problems I had this year were few, but quite big enough to be an annoyance. Inc my long post.

The photoshoots: I took part in the Square Enix and Final Fantasy photoshoots this year; and both times photoshoots were an immense headache and problem. On Friday, the Final Fantasy shoot was split into two individual shoots, as they have been in the past but that was never a huge problem since it was usually in RenCen and people could find the shoot easier. The first being 1-6, and the second being 7+. Because of this, 90% of Final Fantasy cosplayers didn't show up as they wanted to take part in the 7+ shoot and not the 1-6. I recommend just combining the two shoots into just one Final Fantasy shoot, its a lot more fun for all FF cosplayers because everyone can show up at the same time and its a LOT less confusing.
Second; the two shoots on Friday ran from 8:30 to midnight. And a lot of people were tired, exhausted and didn't want to wait around forever for the 7+ cosplayers to show up around 10 as night. So some of the cosplayers ended up leaving after we finished the "1-6 shoot"(which we turned into a combined FF shoot since so few people showed). And right as we finished it, we received word other cosplayers were coming to the 7+ shoot. I'm sure the time slot at 8:30 would have been fine had the two individual shoots been combined together.

Also, because of the time slot we got, the line for the Team4Star 18+ panel ended up taking over our location; causing us to be pushed into a back corner near the bathrooms because someone decided to readjust the line and put it against the wall we were taking photos at. No staff members came to ask if we were using the area or not.
And no one had any idea where the photoshoot was. I was under the impression there would be a staff member to direct people to the photoshoots, but when I asked, they just said "maybe downstairs??" so I ended up wandering around until I found some equally lost Final Fantasy characters. And after talking to a cosplayer, I learned that she believed the shoot was being held in RenCen. So I'm sure a ton of Final Fantasy cosplayers were lost in RenCen as well.

Saturday's Square Enix shoot was less of a headache but still a problem. Because so many photoshoots were scheduled all at the same time, the area in Cobo became extremely cramped. We originally had planned to use our original spot from Friday, but the Disney shoot had so many people that it began to spill into our chosen area. So I moved the photoshoot to the other side of the room so no one would step on each others toes(it's happened at a previous Youma, I wanted to avoid any possible drama over photoshoot locations); again crammed into a corner because the other shoots had taken up all the other spots in the area. And because of this move, none of the Square Enix cosplayers could find us. Again. So I had to round up any wandering, lost cosplayers I could to take them to the photoshoot and I'm sure I missed a large portion of them.

It wasn't until hours after the shoot that I learned from my friend that apparently the Square Enix, Disney and DC shoots were all supposed to be combined?? This was not made known to me or any of the other Square cosplayers. So needless to say for us Square fans, the photoshoots were extremely confusing and we would appreciate it if you could make it less so. And also releasing photoshoot schedules at least two or three weeks before the convention so everyone has a chance to see the timing slot and properly plan things out might help a bit.

Autograph lines:
You knew this was coming; its the big problem of this year. I'm a platinum pass member, I have been after Youmacon 2010 when I had the doors to the Team4Star panel closed on my face quite literally after waiting in line for three hours. For me and probably a lot of others who are platinum members, the platinum badge is a "I don't have to wait three hours in line" pass. Yes, you should still arrive early, but not several hours early. The platinum pass is a jump to the front of the line so you can get in, get your stuff done and get out. That's the big perk to the pass, the reason I get one every year. And probably why everyone else gets one too.

This year I wanted to meet Johnny Yong Bosch to have him sign my autograph book like I have all other voice actors do. I got to the line at least 30 minutes before the signing; thinking I had made it in the clear and could get my book signed and get back to the convention as I had so much to do on Saturday. I waited in line for maybe two minutes before a staff member came over and said I wasn't allowed to enter the line and that he had capped it at the group standing in front of me. I, and another man behind me, were confused. We both mentioned we were platinum pass members and that we didn't want to waste any time and just get our stuff signed real quick, but the staff member turned us away regardless. Needless to say I was rather disappointed, as that was Johnny's last signing of the weekend and I was sure I wasn't going to get to meet him. Thankfully he was at his booth in dealers and was kind enough to sign my book there on Sunday.

Then I learn from my friend that she arrived at the line an hour early for JYB and was STILL turned away. She was also a platinum member. This was disappointing to hear as the perk to being a platinum member was getting to the front of the line and getting stuff done. But this weekend it felt like it was reverted to a regular pass: Show up three hours early or no signing.

And upon further digging on facebook, I learn that some platinums were not rushed through signings so everyone else in line could meet with the actors. And I also learned that after the signing, the actors had panels to do, which is why half the time the signing lines were capped or cut? Why not put panels before a signing so the signings don't have to be so rushed? And even if platinum members are "VIPs" they should still be motioned to hurry along and not spend 15 minutes talking to the actors. Even as a platinum member, seeing people just spending all that time talking to an actor and holding up the line is a little obnoxious, as some people have places they want to be and other actors they want to meet and one person is holding all that up. I'm not saying people aren't permitted to talk to the actors, because I know some voice actors love to talk to their fans. So a small chat and a little gift exchange is fine so long as it doesn't take more than 4 minutes out of the signing. Get in, get your stuff done and move along. Platinum or not, its not fair to other people to hold up a line.

Long story short, the convention was very confusing and everything felt like it was crammed in Cobo at the last second. I'm sure that the new GM rules were 100% the reason this happened. There was a lack of communication between staff, it seemed, as anyone I talked to didn't have a clue as to where anything was. The staff I spoke to, though equally confused as I was, were very kind and patient and tried to be as helpful as they could and I appreciated that a great deal. :>

Also would probably help a lot if people would post more on the forums than on the facebook fanpage. So much information is swallowed up on the facebook page. Forum members come baaack. D:

llany1

Postby llany1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:37 pm

I have quite a few issues with the con this year.
1. A lot of the staff was rude or did not know what was going on. Every time I went and asked a question the reply was "I don't know". Well if you don't know I surely don't and don't give me attitude cause I am asking a question.
2. Can we just call this con the running late con? Every panel, event, tournament I went to was running late, therefore it threw off my days schedule because of things running late.
3. Using one computer for 3 tournaments that were kind of running simultaneously. IDK who though " Hey lets have all 3 tournament brackets for these three games in one computer and ignore one of these tournaments for 2 hours. The super smash brothers tournament ran 2 hours late because the game hosts were more concerned with project m and brawl. I ended up dropping from the tournament from how pissed off I was no joke.
4. I also entered the pokemon tournament. Their computer crashed I was waiting for my round 2 opponent didn't hear anything for over 30mins so I went and asked they said they "announced" it but I was right next to them the whole time they didn't. So I got dropped from the tournament wtf at least they gave me a refund though.
5. The video game "rooms" for it being Youma X the game rooms were a lot smaller than previous years kind of disappointing. Still a good selection just a little sad.
I got a platinum badge and feel like I could've easily done without it because in the end I didn't use my any of the "perks" overall id give the con a 5. I still had a blast hanging with friends and meeting new people but I feel like I could've had the same fun at a friends house doing an anime or gaming marathon. I am really disappointed with Youma this year and if I do go back Ill never do platinum again because I didn't really use it this year so kind of dumb to do it again.
I love youma so its sad to see that the tenth year anniversary was kind of bad in my opinion.
Costume Plans
---------------------------------------
Youmacon 09
Thurs: Stitch 30%
Fri: Goku DBZ Finished
Sun Sora KH1 0%
Sat :Link Ocarina of Time 60%
Fri: Ash Ketchum Pokemon Finished

Sally

Postby Sally » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Osseovs wrote:
Amberspike-Sama wrote:I went through registration early Friday afternoon (around 1:00) and was not impressed by the way it was handled. In spite of having a large, empty room for registration that had roped off areas for the line to weave through, the line was left out in the hallway with only a few people being let into the room at a time. As a result, a staff member had to constantly go up and down and remind people to stand close to the wall to avoid blockading the hallway. It frankly did create some unnecessary confusion and somewhat of a safety hazard and I have no idea why it was done that way. That room was huge, guys--use that space to your advantage and only then let the overflow out into the hallway if you have to.

I would like to second this. Friday's pre-reg line was moved to random parts of the hallway at least three instances in the time I was in it, which led to obvious confusion. Oakland Hall is colossal and contained (for the most part), and that should be used to the con's advantage, if possible. I can't necessarily knock the staff's approach to organising, though, as crowd control on that scale in general is a headache in itself.

Thirded. When I got in line on Thursday, because it reached so far out the door, I thought that I was going to be waiting for several hours to get my badge.

It's like registration doesn't think that they have thousands of attendees. Use the space that you rent, get more registration booths, and get WAY more staff. Why is it that the department that has to interact with every single attendee is the smallest? Do they refuse to hire more people? Will they only hire people who can stand on their head while speaking fluent Japanese?

Someone please get rid of the head of registration... a lot of good gas been done to improve registration, but the man is stuck in his ways and he does not listen to feedback. There is no reason for the registration line to cause a fire hazard and there's no reason not to hire more staff. Registration staff doesn't need to be limited to the DH's best buddies just because they need to handle money, because, SURPRISE, thousands of people are trustworthy with money! I bet 100 bucks that at least 1 out of every 10 attendees has been a cashier before, whether they work at McDonald's, Whole Foods, or volunteer to take concessions at their high school basketball game. I'm sorry that the man thinks that otaku are all a bunch of sniviling thieves, but it's not the truth.

Seriously, I am not shutting up about registration until I talk to someone and have a real two-sided conversation with them. I am SO fed up. I love everything else about this con so so much. But registration makes my blood boil.

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Mairen wrote:lastly, as has been said by others, if you are going to abandon the forums, then close them down or make an announcement or something o.o when people come here and post questions and they are then ignored for months, it doesn't make anyone but youmacon look bad. you can get this place thriving again if you start directing people from facebook back over here where we can have nice organized discussions.
Yes. This. Facebook is NOT a forum and is NOT capable of acting as one. Facebook is useless as it it, even more useless as a "forum replacement".

It did not appear that the "GM rule" was even being enforced.

I have other things to mention (*cough reg, maid cafe cough*, but nothing's changed any other time I've listed issues, suggestions etc, so I see little reason to post them this time.

Sally

Postby Sally » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:15 pm

I got sooooo annoyed by the Facebook group after everyone freaked out about the GM "rule." Everyone thought that they each needed to make an individual status about it, because, you know, you're the only person in the world who ever had that thought, ever, and everyone needs to see you, specifically, post about it. I can't count the number of times I saw the same question get asked over, and over, and over again because statuses on Facebook disappear and there isn't a fair way to encourage looking up answers to questions that have already been asked.

PLEASE don't abandon the forum, guys. We need it.

The Commodore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:19 pm

After 2012 I said I probably wouldn't go back to Youmacon. I didn't go last year but thought I'd give it another chance this year. As someone who doesn't cosplay and rarely attends panels, I can't comment on those aspects of the con. I'll just give a few general thoughts about this year's convention.

PROS:
- Elevators seemed well managed. Never felt like I had to wait exceptionally long for one.
- Police/DPM staff presence at the Ren Cen and Cobo stations was very helpful. Kept things moving and undoubtedly prevented injuries or other incidents.
- As always, love the Bemani Invasion presence in the game room. It was nice to play things like Jubeat and Technika that I don't see anywhere else.
- Dealer's Hall/AA was great, and much better than I remember it being in 2012.
- Pre-reg pickup was fast, thankfully. I wonder how long people had to wait for at-con reg though. The line looked hellishly long on Friday, wrapping all the way around the lobby.

CONS:
- Flimsy badges and cheap programs. I guess it's better than having no program at all like two years ago. Programs felt pretty useless without schedules. I know there were paper ones floating around but I didn't see any when I went to pick up my badge.
- Where was the staff? Besides the staff members controlling elevator traffic and checking badges, I feel like I didn't see a single staff or security member walking around the convention.
- Mods need to pay attention to the forums again. I saw lots of questions going unanswered in the weeks leading up to the con.
- Much of the con is now located in Cobo, which has taken some of the energy out of the Marriott and Ren Cen. I guess this isn't necessarily bad since the Ren Cen doesn't seem to want us around, and it won't really change unless a hotel that's connected to Cobo is built. It just made walking around the hotel/Ren Cen feel different this year.
- People really need to learn some common sense when it comes to stopping and/or taking photos. Do not block those entire narrow circular hallways around the elevators to take a photo or congregate with your whole group of friends. Step off to the side to take a photo of a cosplayer so people can keep walking through, etc. Just think for a second!
- Saw some pictures of the carpet in the main ballroom after the dances. Y'all probably should have put down a dancefloor.
- What was up with that GM "no weapons/masks" rule? Pretty sure that wasn't being enforced at all after all the freaking out about it before the con.
- The payment machines at the parking garage went down on Sunday afternoon, causing a huge backup and essentially trapping people until they were fixed. This is not the con's fault at all, but it sure was annoying and ended the weekend on a sour note for me. It could have been worse too, since I was on my way to drop a friend off at the airport.

I honestly didn't spend much time in convention space over the weekend (Thursday night I went to a concert and Friday night I went to the hockey game), so take what I've said with a grain of salt. I think I've kind of outgrown conventions (at least anime conventions) and this year's Youmacon will probably end up being my last anime con. That said, it was nice to go to what was my first convention back in 2006 one last time.

Hethran
First Anime: Digimon

Postby Hethran » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:39 pm

I was really upset to hear that panels that weren't anime-related were rejected en masse with people being told to try them at the Midwest Media Expo.

Please don't try to make Youmacon an anime-exclusive con in order to prop up Midwest Media Expo; Youmacon has always been a hub for all things nerdy, with anime only being the primary focus, and that's one of the things I loved about it.

I loved Midwest Media Expo too, but I don't want the two cons to become strictly segregated into anime-only for Youmacon and anime-banned for Midwest Media Expo.

Also, panel submissions took horribly long to approve this year, and the final schedule release at the con didn't even have panel descriptions like they had in previous years; I had to look them up on my smartphone.

Otherwise, it was the best Youmacon I've ever had! =D

imnotbenji
First Anime: Kenshin

Postby imnotbenji » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:48 pm

I only had a couple of things this year that I didn't care for and one major issues.

The awkward placement of the photoshoot areas made it kind of hard to understand where it was and there was no map to help.

In artist alley the walkways started out fairly decently spaced until you got to the side wall and it become very closed in and hard to navigate by people without brushing against them or the booth.

My big issue though was on Friday night during the dance, I had already gone in a couple times to check in with some of the tech people and listen to some music and had a messenger bag with my tablet, a bottle of water and tums in case I get ill or dehydrated (As I am prone to reflux I try not to be too far without either of them lest I want to curl up in a ball.)

Either way I had no issues with the bag several times until 2 AM when walking in with a couple other friends, where I walk into the room and got about 15 feet in through the door before I had someone brusquely hook their arm around my elbow from behind and tug me around.

I was not only just startled but quite honestly scared as I had no idea who in this loud deafening dark room was suddenly almost pinning my arm and yanking me around like I was about to be thrown to the ground and dragged out if I didn't comply.

Turns out it was someone from the door who promptly shouted in my face without letting me go that I couldn't bring my bag in. Normally I would have tried to clarify and even offer them to look through my bag as I have nothing to hide, but in my bad all I managed to sputter in confusion was just what I've had it in here several times tonight before getting cut off with more rudiness.

It was not only humilating but legitimately terrifying too to have a total stranger lay hands on me like that. I've staffed conventions and can understand the importance of not wanting illegal objects to be snuck into a rave but to with no warning roughly handle an attendee from behind is such a big no. All I could do is slink back to the room the rest of the night and nurse my arm from him yanking it while looking on twitter feeling like I was missing out on all the fun.
Of course I'm insane, were you expecting any less?

Jenieve
Tabletop DH

Postby Jenieve » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:44 pm

NIQ9 wrote:I spent most of my time at the con in the arcade gaming room. I have no issues with that room at all, really. I tried to enter the console room a few times and literally every time I did, it was beyond crowded. Meanwhile, the tabletop room next door had a ton of vacant space. I think next year, the console room should take up both of the Ontario rooms and tabletop should be moved to a smaller room elsewhere. The arcade games being in a separate room was nice. That room was the perfect size.

As the DH of tabletop I can tell you that after 10 pm there was not a lot of vacant space. We ran Werewolf at 10pm and had about 40 chairs in a circle in front of the front desk area. We also had areas that due to fire code issues we could not block.

MonaLisaSmiled
First Anime: Rockman

Postby MonaLisaSmiled » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Complaints/Things That Need Fixing

Game room: Simply unacceptable this year. The selection what killed it for me though. It was the set up. Everything was cluttered to me. Which caused much traffic throughout the weekend(Yes, even Sunday). I think All high traffic games should be moved to one side of the room. It was hard getting to the Arcade machines in the main room because Smash had some many people clogging up the path. Dance Central Also caused the same issue. (If I remember correctly either 2013 or 2012's room was so much better and traffic was minimum) It also pained me to have to go to another room just to play the rhythm games (There needs to be some kind of regulation on Taiko, I saw people waiting half an hour to play three songs :/). Also, Rock band was really lacking this year. No mic, and the drums were dead long before Sunday. Now, I believe it was said the set up was the way it was because Tabletop wanted more space. I say, next time, don't do it. It really ruined the polished look of the game room and caused a sense of clutter and unbalance.

Panels: It was a difficult trying to find panels. I really think there should signs pointing out where they are upon entering Cobo. Also, maybe move some of the popular ones back to the Marriott? Trying to get to TFS 18+ was really trying for me.

Dealer's Room There was a big selection, but things felt a tad cluttered. I think moving the booths of cons who are advertising to one side would really help. Also moving autograph booths to one spot would be nice. Other than that, I think it was good?

Transportation/Getting Around: I really think we need a shuttle service. Especially considering that there are attendees with handicaps or medical conditions. It would also make getting to Cobo a much safer and easier travel for those of use who can't get a people mover pass, or are trying to save money. I also think it would help with the very, VERY heavy traffic the People Mover gets during the con. Just a thought.

Miscellaneous: This is more of a suggestion, but do you, the staff, think you can collaborate with the Marriott staff to get a floor designated just for parties? I kept hearing about room parties getting shut down and attendees still being stalked and harassed by security long after. I think it would help in cutting noise complaints from non-attendees. I think picking a high up floor would be great. Or maybe having a con sponsored after party would be nice.

That's all I can think of for now.
No matter where you are, you can always see the stars~Image

I_am_Varrick
First Anime: Death Note

Postby I_am_Varrick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:41 pm

May I suggest something? As I'm sure it's already been suggested before, I hope this doesn't make anyone cringe. Can the con be made into an actual 3 day con? (excluding Thursday) I understand people have to go home and have life to get back to and everything, but isn't there something that can be done to make it like an actual 3 days? I dunno, maybe I should start showing up on Thursday instead of Friday, maybe then I'll feel a bit more fulfilled. It's just that.. the con is so much fun! In a way, it's more like a 2 day con. There's the half day Friday after you show up, get your badge, and get settled in, then there's the full Saturday, then there's the half day on Sunday (IF you even stick around for the rest of the day, most don't because it's kinda pointless) where you basically just get your stuff together and head home. I know it has to end sometime, but I'm just venting. Sorry!

All in all though, for my second year, this was GREAT. I heard that some attendees were calling it bad, but honestly I think this was better than last year. Keep up the awesome work!

Okami5567
First Anime: DBZ

Postby Okami5567 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:20 am

Well even though I didn't get to do much this Youma for reason's unrelated to Youmacon itself it seemed as awesome as always. And while I'm usually not the type to just complain, I kind of feel that's what this thread is for so here's all my complains...

Thursday Pre-Registration
Registration itself wasn't that bad, my complaint is the lack of a bag with a schedule. Having to borrow schedules from others that got their badge Friday is just silly. Of course it seems like a lack of planning because...

Schedules
Why on earth did we have two schedules this year? Well, again, I would be asking but it seems due to a lack of planning. Here's my theory on why the schedule was just a print off and here's why... My theory is that the schedule online was put up just to appease people who were enraged one was up three days before Youmacon. In truth, even Thursday the schedule wasn't done... The reason I'm assuming this is because the schedule was wrong for the TFS Panel and it failed to indicate which 1 AM was referred to on the night daylight savings times ended.

Tabletop Gaming Room
Dear lord, I know that no con has decent organization in their table top rooms but I at least expected the organization would slightly increase the bigger the con got, not that it would become a bigger mess. I entered three tournaments and funny enough, I have a story for each one, well, aside from EVERY tournament starting an hour late.

Friday Cardfight - Slightly grateful but the organizer's actually forgot to collect an entry fee for this tournament. Of course, this is because they had literally no idea what they were doing. It seemed like whenever cardfight was involved I had to start a sign up sheet (Although my name sometimes got lost because a new one would be started later even though I was told to start a sign up sheet and they were aware of it's existence). Perhaps the worst part though is that for this first tournament there were no time limits on rounds. We only had nine people and the tournament started at 1, I was sure I'd have plenty of time to eat between when it finished and my next tournament began, but due to the lack of time limits and some new players playing each other we ended up going to 5. I'm just lucky that the next tournament that was supposed to begin at 4 was hosted by the same people.

Friday Weiss Schwarz - Now this tournament actually went pretty smoothly... Why? Because we had official judges playing in the event. As for those who organized the event, they didn't even know if it was a best of one or a best of three until I asked during the first round. Not to mention no one in the tournament knew that it was single elimination until they were not announced for the second round.

Sunday Cardfight - The "big" card tournament for cardfight, more people, higher entry, better prizes. Aside from it starting an hour late and actually going over a half hour into the table top rooms closing time the tournament wasn't that bad. But imagine my suprise when I got first and found out that the pool was going to be split amongst the top 4. I really wouldn't have minded if I knew that ahead of time, but I'm pretty sure it was a last second decision.

YuGiOh - Didn't play, but heard a friend did. Apparently while a lot was advertised about the event, none of it was true. Go figure...

Overall - We have a year to plan for Youmacon, why can't the tabletop gameroom spend that time and have their **** together? Like seriously, come up with a format, post it. Come up with a prize distribution, post it. Set a time and stick to it. I really feel like I'm only asking for really basic stuff here....

Video Game Tournaments

In part, what happened was mostly my fault and I'll agree to that... I had planned all Saturday to play in video game tournaments, but, much to my surprise, when I went to sign up Saturday they were all filled. Now it makes sense that when working with a limited time tournaments will fill up, but not everyone would know this so it would have been nice to have a little disclaimer that tournament space is limited. I could have signed up Friday morning if I knew. Granted, it would have been just as well to say that registration is open all weekend, or have registration open two hours before the tournament...

Other than all that though, Youmacon was awesome. Would just like to see better organization, there's a year to go before the next one. Lots of time to work on it.

Return to “2014 Memories”