This year's masquerade was a joke. [RANT]

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Keyori
First Anime: Cardcaptor Sakura

This year's masquerade was a joke. [RANT]

Postby Keyori » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:19 am

As the title suggests, this is a rant about the absolute joke that was the masquerade.

I don't mean the acts or cosplay itself - that is what I attend the masquerade to see. I wanna see cringey skits, I wanna see people's cosplay, good and bad alike, the joke was the fact that after only 30 minutes of actual content I would call "Masquerade content", the announcer spent AN HOUR AND A HALF doing his bad stand up comedy that just got very irritating within a few minutes.

I'm fine if he wanted to fill time for half time, fair enough, but why in the hell was the half time "show" 3 times the length of the first half, I mean what the hell?

If there wasn't enough skits and cosplay to fill the full time as indicated in the handbook, then just cut the masquerade short, people will understand! What I can't understand is why Youmacon thought it was acceptable to use the masquerade as a plot to get people into a room to watch someone's bad stand up comedy, cos it sure as hell wasn't about the convention-goers.

I left before the second half even started, as did most of the audience, and I heard the second half only lasted another 20 minutes max, and that really pissed me off. Why? Because I chose to watch the masquerade instead of going to the Mario Party - which I heard from my friends who did go to it that it was the best part of the entire event.

Next year, Youmacon, PLEASE, do not subject us to that again. I did not come to see one of your employees do stand-up, I came to see cosplay, and if your 3 and a half hour time slot cannot be filled then just cut it short. Simple.

Sub Zippo
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Speed Racer

Re: This year's masquerade was a joke. [RANT]

Postby Sub Zippo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:52 pm

I gave up on the masq years ago. If other people like it, that's great, but I found the skits obnoxious and tedious. The most impressive thing I've seen was a vocaloid cosplayer doing a dance routine. The comedy isn't that funny and it's not worth the inevitable late start. No worries, there's lots of other stuff to do at the con. :)
Con pics on facebook http://www.facebook.com/nateyork82/photos_albums
Con videos on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/subzippo

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Actually, the halftime show is to fill in the time the judges spend deliberating to select the winners of the masquerade awards. The MC only goes on until they signal him that they're ready to announce the winners.

NeptuneFanatic
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby NeptuneFanatic » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:18 pm

I wish I could have seen more skits, to be honest. I had gone to the Masquerade for the first time this year and it was OK.

The MC (Tom?) is actually a good addition to making Youmacon fun, I think. I like his humor and I have to give him props for either memorizing all of that material or coming up with it on the spot because even if he was talking a lot, I didn't mind it because I personally found it to be a treat.

I'm debating as to whether or not I'll attend the Masquerade next year...
Youmacon 2014 Cosplays:

Friday: Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger & Bunny
Saturday: Lucina - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Sunday: Temari - Naruto Shippuden

Upcoming cons:
Youmacon '14
Almacon '15
Shuto Con '15
Anime Expo '15

Aiko-Chan

Postby Aiko-Chan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:56 am

Keyori wrote:As the title suggests, this is a rant about the absolute joke that was the masquerade.

I don't mean the acts or cosplay itself - that is what I attend the masquerade to see. I wanna see cringey skits, I wanna see people's cosplay, good and bad alike, the joke was the fact that after only 30 minutes of actual content I would call "Masquerade content", the announcer spent AN HOUR AND A HALF doing his bad stand up comedy that just got very irritating within a few minutes.

I'm fine if he wanted to fill time for half time, fair enough, but why in the hell was the half time "show" 3 times the length of the first half, I mean what the hell?

If there wasn't enough skits and cosplay to fill the full time as indicated in the handbook, then just cut the masquerade short, people will understand! What I can't understand is why Youmacon thought it was acceptable to use the masquerade as a plot to get people into a room to watch someone's bad stand up comedy, cos it sure as hell wasn't about the convention-goers.

I left before the second half even started, as did most of the audience, and I heard the second half only lasted another 20 minutes max, and that really pissed me off. Why? Because I chose to watch the masquerade instead of going to the Mario Party - which I heard from my friends who did go to it that it was the best part of the entire event.

Next year, Youmacon, PLEASE, do not subject us to that again. I did not come to see one of your employees do stand-up, I came to see cosplay, and if your 3 and a half hour time slot cannot be filled then just cut it short. Simple.

Well take a look at this, instead of algus doing his stand up last year fanservice renji did his show... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSSrQ2SFObU
I actually liked the stand up but click to the middle, he at least kept us laughing while the judges were doing their thing. I like algus(the mc) the last guy who hosted open ceremonies etc was boring to me :( algus keeps us entertained. Look up youmacon 2008 masquerade see what i mean total bore :(
:) I likes making new friends!
Find me at!
Youmacon 2013 :)
Acen 2014
Youmacon 2014!
What I cosplayed for at youmacon 2012: Mew Lettuce from tokyo mew mew, Sailor Saturn and Pirate seychelles!
https://www.facebook.com/IzzysCrazyCosplay

NeptuneFanatic

Postby NeptuneFanatic » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Aiko-Chan wrote:
Keyori wrote:As the title suggests, this is a rant about the absolute joke that was the masquerade.

Well take a look at this, instead of algus doing his stand up last year fanservice renji did his show... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSSrQ2SFObU
I actually liked the stand up but click to the middle, he at least kept us laughing while the judges were doing their thing. I like algus(the mc) the last guy who hosted open ceremonies etc was boring to me :( algus keeps us entertained. Look up youmacon 2008 masquerade see what i mean total bore :(

Where did I get the name Tom from, then? Lol, he looks like a Tom but at least now I know the MC's name. I appreciate him being up there (probably didn't have much of a choice), but I agree with you about cutting it short I it can't fill the entire timeslot up with worthwhile material. I actually stayed the entire time and every time he told a joke I was hoping he would be done right after, to be honest.
Youmacon 2014 Cosplays:

Friday: Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger & Bunny
Saturday: Lucina - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Sunday: Temari - Naruto Shippuden

Upcoming cons:
Youmacon '14
Almacon '15
Shuto Con '15
Anime Expo '15

Aiko-Chan

Postby Aiko-Chan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:50 pm

NeptuneFanatic wrote:
Aiko-Chan wrote:

Where did I get the name Tom from, then? Lol, he looks like a Tom but at least now I know the MC's name. I appreciate him being up there (probably didn't have much of a choice), but I agree with you about cutting it short I it can't fill the entire timeslot up with worthwhile material. I actually stayed the entire time and every time he told a joke I was hoping he would be done right after, to be honest.

His name is tom I call him algus because that's his name on facebook, it's sort of a nick name for him, I haven't called him tom since i saw that, I feel bad for him that he's up there he really doesn't have a choice. I mean, we can have fan service renjii do his thing again, which was cool, but alot people complained about that too, oh well can't please everyone :P
:) I likes making new friends!
Find me at!
Youmacon 2013 :)
Acen 2014
Youmacon 2014!
What I cosplayed for at youmacon 2012: Mew Lettuce from tokyo mew mew, Sailor Saturn and Pirate seychelles!
https://www.facebook.com/IzzysCrazyCosplay

AlgusUnderdunk
SPACE LANCE.

Postby AlgusUnderdunk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Wow this thread's confusing o-o

Just to clarify, I'm the MC, hiyas folks. Name's Tom, or Algus on here and Facebook. Really, when I do my half-time show at the Masquerade, what I'm really doing (spoilers!) is trying to keep everyone entertained while the judges deliberate. If you watch me you'll notice every few minutes I glance off-stage to the right to see if the judges are done yet.

I was rather disappointed this year too that we didn't have as many skit entries, although I do want to say that the skits we DID have were quite excellent and very clever. There were a few that sadly had to drop out at the last minute, as sometimes things such as illness or a missed flight can screw up a skit, especially if you have a group that needs to be in ensemble for it.

I can also say that I most certainly did not have 90 minutes worth of half-time, I think it was closer to 30 minutes, but again it's based on how long the judges need.

If in the future you'd like to see more skits, encourage your friends or groups you know to sign up! Mayhaps even come up with a skit yourself, compete, win a few prizes, etc. I'm always happy to see loads of skits and walk-ons, especially when they've got clever jokes and routines (for example, this year's Luigi Shop of Horrors was fantastic). So that's it really, if you want to see more skits, encourage as many cosplayers as you know to join in on the Masquerade, and hopefully I'll see you next year!
I do say, I'm rather put off by these serpents aboard our aircraft.

CIAAPC
First Anime: YuGiOh/Tokyo Mew Mew

Postby CIAAPC » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 am

AlgusUnderdunk wrote:Wow this thread's confusing o-o

Just to clarify, I'm the MC, hiyas folks. Name's Tom, or Algus on here and Facebook. Really, when I do my half-time show at the Masquerade, what I'm really doing (spoilers!) is trying to keep everyone entertained while the judges deliberate. If you watch me you'll notice every few minutes I glance off-stage to the right to see if the judges are done yet.

I was rather disappointed this year too that we didn't have as many skit entries, although I do want to say that the skits we DID have were quite excellent and very clever. There were a few that sadly had to drop out at the last minute, as sometimes things such as illness or a missed flight can screw up a skit, especially if you have a group that needs to be in ensemble for it.

I can also say that I most certainly did not have 90 minutes worth of half-time, I think it was closer to 30 minutes, but again it's based on how long the judges need.

If in the future you'd like to see more skits, encourage your friends or groups you know to sign up! Mayhaps even come up with a skit yourself, compete, win a few prizes, etc. I'm always happy to see loads of skits and walk-ons, especially when they've got clever jokes and routines (for example, this year's Luigi Shop of Horrors was fantastic). So that's it really, if you want to see more skits, encourage as many cosplayers as you know to join in on the Masquerade, and hopefully I'll see you next year!
Hi, just wanted to let you know, I don't know about anybody else but I appreciate your comedy, I wasn't present this year or last year Youma but there was one time I had you sign the Youma card you were carrying because I thought you were hysterical. Everyone has different comedic taste I'm starting to realize. I personally find you hilarious.
Youma2012:
Princess Celestia [I will attempt this, because I didn't see any this year ;-;]
Hinaichigo from Rozen Maiden

Post-con depression is depressing.....

simply_mad
Live Programming Staff
First Anime: Digimon, My Neighbor Totoro, Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby simply_mad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:28 pm

As a participant, this year's masq was TINY. There were I think seven skits total, and maybe 50 walk-ons? That's a pretty big decrease from last year. The upper division skits were all really well done, which probably contributed to the length of deliberation time with the judges. But I agree, it dragged horribly, and we mostly ignored it in the green room. owo

Youmacon's drifted away from being a cosplay-focused convention. It's also become highly rooted in Western media. Encourage your friends to try their hand at competing and encourage the Masq. staff to open the masquerade to Western sources in addition to Eastern--that'll open the field to a host of previously-excluded new cosplays.

Return to “2013 Memories”