Two things I would really like to see next year.

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

User avatar
jeremysart
Live Programming Staff
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 pm
First Anime: Akira
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby jeremysart » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Two things I would *REALLY* like to see next year.

1.) More Artist related gatherings, ie: drawing/painting sessions, manga drawing, art lessons (I'm down to volunteer, I have plenty of skill in art and art tutoring under my belt.) Youmacon may not be an art fair, but anime, manga, geeks and art go hand in hand, a LOT of us draw. It would also be a great way for artists that do happen to run a booth in the dealers room to mingle with con-goers and fellow artists.

2.) MORE SINGLES EVENTS. A lot, and I mean a LOT of us come to Youmacon single, in fact, I have the past three conventions. But a lot of people are also afraid of talking to strangers or afraid to mingle. A singles only dance, and singles only games, perhaps a singles "auction", karaoke etc. would help break the ice or maybe even spark a flame.

But first and foremost, everyone keep the peace and kindness. Don't let one ass-hat ruin your experience. I got into con-going and came back because of how happy, kind and loving I was treated my first year.

User avatar
underourcontrol
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm
First Anime: Naruto
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby underourcontrol » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:12 am

I really like the sound of both of those things.
It would be really cool to get artist together to exchange techniques and knowledge all in open area cause let's face it. There's a lot of anime artists out there but we never know each other because we're just a mass stuck in a room with nothing to talk about. And a singles event would be amazing, it'd be like connecting you with someone who enjoys the same things you like or at least give you someone to enjoy your time at the convention even more so them before.
:rd:
That kills people....

User avatar
saratonin
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:39 pm
First Anime: Dragonball
Contact:

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby saratonin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 am

For the artist related activities you should submit panel applications for your ideas. You can propose them as open discussions or workshops or what ever you want. You probably won't get much involvement from those off us in Artist Alley because during open hours we won't want to leave our tables, and after hours we are too hungry and tired and probably want to see or do other things. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I know there are a lot of artists at cons that don't vend, but the con isn't going to program for target groups, you have to propose and run it yourself.

For the singles, there was at least one thread in the forum called lonely at con or something like that, that was proposing a meet up.I don't know if they pulled it off, but once again, it was organized by attendees, not the con staff. I have been to cons that had some singles programming, stuff like theme based speed dating and mixers, but they were done as panels.
So I guess what I'm saying is good ideas, but if you want to see it happen, you'll have to do it. Of course now that I've said that, someone from staff is liable to jump in and say great idea, we'll do that :).

User avatar
jeremysart
Live Programming Staff
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 pm
First Anime: Akira
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby jeremysart » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks for the positive feedback you two. I have definitely thought about trying to organize a "con-artists" (pun intended) event. I think it would be great to get some of the more creative folks together in a nice open room, have a few pop up tables and chairs, some easels, pencils, art supplies etc. Everyone could share their work or collaborate, could be a lot of fun, or a nice haven for the shy folks who just want to take a break and draw something. Hopefully enough folks feel the same way about the singles events to get some more interesting things rolling for next year, something like that would need someone with high energy who has no problem making others active or uncomfortable in a social setting (not me! haha) :kirby:

User avatar
Coronetta
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 pm
First Anime: Outlaw Star

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby Coronetta » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Im so on board for this! I wonder how possible it would be to bring Mark Crilley on as a guest next year, or to get him to run a panel. He's a successful American Manga artist but his work looks pretty authentic. He has a couple how to draw books, a Youtube channel and a couple different mangas out. And as far as I know, he's a local.
2013 Cosplays:
Lucca from Chrono Tigger
Midna (imp form) from Zelda: Twilight princess
WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE?

My 2013 Album: https://www.facebook.com/crystal.mutsch ... 894&type=3

User avatar
feuerwerke
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby feuerwerke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:30 pm

idk man, I don't really like the idea of having a bunch of singles only events. I mean, I'm seeing someone, but I still want to make friends and stuff and I'd find it pretty offputting if a bunch of events that I'd enjoy going to are things that I'm barred from because I'm taken. I feel like there should be a few events like that (including ones for LGBT singles because that's almost always overlooked), but mostly just. Things that are open to everyone and if you're single keep your eyes open. That's just me, though.

TheMoonGetsMe
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z
Location: Near Flint (but far enough to not worry!)

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby TheMoonGetsMe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:47 pm

feuerwerke wrote:idk man, I don't really like the idea of having a bunch of singles only events. I mean, I'm seeing someone, but I still want to make friends and stuff and I'd find it pretty offputting if a bunch of events that I'd enjoy going to are things that I'm barred from because I'm taken.. . . . Things that are open to everyone and if you're single keep your eyes open. That's just me, though.


I dislike you. (I'm trying to not use the word 'hate', so you're in luck!)

You basically just told single art guy (hereafter referred to as 'SAG') that YOU don't want to feel excluded so he should abandon his idea so that you don't miss out. In the meantime, he can just go to every existing current situation and just "keep your eyes open" for other singles.

Good thing all single people wear those handy sticker name badges that declare relationship status.

I'm sure Sag is happy that you're taken, because regardless of your artistic abilities, you have no idea what's going on.

And I'm not very artistic, but I know some people who are, and most of them seem to be at least conscious enough to finish smoking the joint they lit and the shadowing on Ariel's tits (apparently I'm on an Ariel kick tonight?).

Anyway, good idea, Sag. Your artsy orgy idea sounds sweet.

Hopefully feuerwerke's current lover will awake from their stupor and break it off so that he/she can attend, too. We wouldn't want him/her to feel left out.

User avatar
feuerwerke
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby feuerwerke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 am

@Moon Oh for the love of. How dare I want to go to things at a con. How dare I have fun with everyone else. I'm sorry, but anime cons are not meant to primarily be hookup events and it'd be ridiculous to have a bunch of singles only things. A few, sure. A bunch, noooot so much. Youma already doesn't have much programming, or at least it didn't this year, and I'd be pretty ticked if I couldn't go to a whole bunch of events because I'm dating someone, since last I checked this isn't okcupid con.

Also the dance idea in particular is an issue because dances are big events that take up a lot of time and space. A current big event would probably have to be taken out and that's not okay with me.

Look. Finding romance isn't easy. I know. But that doesn't mean being such a bitter, jealous child over it is okay. I find it pretty hilarious that me disagreeing with more singles only events is so offensive to you that you'd go so far as to wish my boyfriend would break up with me. Grow up.

TheMoonGetsMe
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z
Location: Near Flint (but far enough to not worry!)

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby TheMoonGetsMe » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:06 am

feuerwerke wrote:worst attempt at making a point in the history of the internet


The things you say make me giggle. If I remember correctly, you said this in another post:

feuerwerke wrote:When we were packing, my boyfriend completely neglected to pack my shoes for my cosplay, even though I asked him to specifically make sure they went in the car, and asked him if he'd took them out later and he assured me he did. I spent the first part of the con suffering in shoes I'd bought last minute that were killing my feet, then finally just gave up and wore the costume with completely inaccurate shoes (which embarrassed the heck out of me) until we could check into our room. It took a lot of fun out of the con for me =<.


You should be nicer to Sag; you're obviously going to be single soon. Blaming others for your shortcomings is a sure-fire way to wind up alone.

So no worries, you won't miss a thing next year!

User avatar
underourcontrol
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm
First Anime: Naruto
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby underourcontrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Guys guys. Calm down.
:roll:
This guy who started this just wanted to put out there a couple of good ideas.
yeah you may have a disagreement, but it isn't about us. It's his idea.
Yeah okay a singles event would be amazing. Because it would introduce a lot of people to others who feel alone, some people feel like they have no one to share something they enjoy entirely
A.k.a Anime and raves and things.
This isn't to say "Oh look, if you're taken don't come in, you're banned."
But there is like,
over several panels that you could go to if you're not intrested in the singles event.
It's not like we're telling anyone that they HAVE to go.
Go do something else why that panel is in motion.
Hell it's not the only place to go.
You have the dealers/artist alley, probably about 8 more panels open at the same time, game room.
It's not like it's your only option? Go make friends sure,
But you wouldn't go inside a (just putting for reference) MLP panel if you're looking for Attack on Titan.
Makes no sense right?
Just like you wouldn't go into a singles meet up if you're taken.
No ones going against anyone for being in a relationship, all power to them.
:peace:
But that doesn't mean panels have to be dropped because someone doesn't like it?
Someone could not of liked the Durarara/Baccano panel as much as they wanted, but it would of still been there.
It's not fair to others if one person just said 'I don't like it' And it put off the other thousand that wanted to go.
Hell if we incorrporated art into the singles panel thing. It would be a hit, even if you're **** at art, you possible would have the chance to meet someone who was better at it and could help out a lot?
I don't know, I'm just ranting now, just speaking from experience, there's no reason to get in an argument about someone else's opinion.
You agree or you don't.
:rd:
That kills people....

User avatar
feuerwerke
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby feuerwerke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:34 pm

@undercontrol I'm not saying singles events shouldn't happen. It seems like SAG wants quite a few of them, though, and that's just. No. There is limited space for events, and also, idk if you noticed or not, but this year there really weren't very many panels or events of any sort. Plus, a lot of the things he suggested are things that. Aren't really related to being single. That sort of thing is usually a meetup or speed dating or a mixer type environment, not "singles only (insert activity here that lots of people enjoy)" like a dance. Also, the image of the con needs to be considered. If a whole bunch of events on the schedule say "SINGLES ONLY (thing)", it's going to make Youmacon look like DesperateNerdsCon, and no one wants that. I apparently can't disagree with someone without an immature user (who is single for a reason, judging by her behavior) jumping down my throat for civilly stating my disagreement.

Also worth pointing out: 99.9% of singles gatherings seriously bother me because they're almost always for straight people and that's kind of gross. I'd be a lot more open to this if it was explicitly stated to be for all orientations, or if there were also LGBT versions. But again, not too many, because this is not OKCupidCon.

@Moon Sorry, but you don't know more about my relationship than I do. He feels bad about the last minute packing screwup, apologized to me for it, and is still happily by my side. I can see that you're single, bitter, and jealous, but you can stop slinging mud any time now because it means nothing. Also, that quote has nothing whatsoever to do with my "shortcomings". I asked him to help me with something, he agreed, even said he did it, but it didn't happen. Perfectly valid criticism. And But you don't seem to understand how interpersonal relationships work in general, let alone on a romantic level. No wonder you're single.

TheMoonGetsMe
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z
Location: Near Flint (but far enough to not worry!)

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby TheMoonGetsMe » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:48 pm

feuerwerke wrote:A bunch of scrambled and angry words that make absolutely no attempt at a point


Actually, I don't think I need to follow up. If anyone takes a few minutes and actually reads all of the ridiculous **** that you write, then there really isn't anything more for me to say. Everything you write is pure comic gold.

User avatar
underourcontrol
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm
First Anime: Naruto
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby underourcontrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:04 pm

:diedie:
Agree to disagree anyone?
That kills people....

User avatar
feuerwerke
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby feuerwerke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:28 pm

underourcontrol wrote::diedie:
Agree to disagree anyone?


Pretty easily. I just find it laughable how nasty someone can get over seeing a simple disagreement. Siiiiiigh. Well, whatever, I'm done with the child here.

That said, I stand by what I said. I don't want to see the con overrun by singles events. A couple would be fine, though.

@OP: if you want to see the events you're talking about, I'd suggest applying to run them.

User avatar
underourcontrol
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm
First Anime: Naruto
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby underourcontrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 pm

feuerwerke wrote:
underourcontrol wrote::diedie:
Agree to disagree anyone?


Pretty easily. I just find it laughable how nasty someone can get over seeing a simple disagreement. Siiiiiigh. Well, whatever, I'm done with the child here.

That said, I stand by what I said. I don't want to see the con overrun by singles events. A couple would be fine, though.

@OP: if you want to see the events you're talking about, I'd suggest applying to run them.


I think he meant only a few, like maybe one or two.
Considering it's a whole weekened and panels usually run up to one or 2 hours.
:rd:
That kills people....


Return to “2013 Memories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest