Two things I would really like to see next year.

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

feuerwerke
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Re: Two things I would really like to see next year.

Postby feuerwerke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:29 pm

underourcontrol wrote:
feuerwerke wrote:
underourcontrol wrote::diedie:
Agree to disagree anyone?

Pretty easily. I just find it laughable how nasty someone can get over seeing a simple disagreement. Siiiiiigh. Well, whatever, I'm done with the child here.

That said, I stand by what I said. I don't want to see the con overrun by singles events. A couple would be fine, though.

@OP: if you want to see the events you're talking about, I'd suggest applying to run them.

I think he meant only a few, like maybe one or two.
Considering it's a whole weekened and panels usually run up to one or 2 hours.
:rd:

He suggested games (plural), an auction, karaoke, AND a dance. To me, that's a lot. One or two of those would be fine, but not all of them.

underourcontrol
First Anime: Naruto

Postby underourcontrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 pm

He suggested games (plural), an auction, karaoke, AND a dance. To me, that's a lot. One or two of those would be fine, but not all of them.[/quote]

He was giving options....
like how people give different options for different types of music at a dance.
He was giving a maybe there can be this or this?
And that's only 4 things, games being most likely one panel because one game wouldn't last an hour.
That kills people....

feuerwerke

Postby feuerwerke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:10 pm

underourcontrol wrote:He suggested games (plural), an auction, karaoke, AND a dance. To me, that's a lot. One or two of those would be fine, but not all of them.

He was giving options....
like how people give different options for different types of music at a dance.
He was giving a maybe there can be this or this?
And that's only 4 things, games being most likely one panel because one game wouldn't last an hour.
:rd:[/quote]
It was worded ambiguously. If it's just a couple from the list, sure. All of them? No. And I really doubt if a dance would be feasible.

underourcontrol

Postby underourcontrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:03 pm

TRue, a dance will probably be a little over but maybe a singles event before the dance itself, just to meet someone you can be with at the dance.
I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun is all.
I honestly think the other girl who was arguing had no right to insult you though. Inappropriate if I might say, but hey, people like that exist sadly.
Nyan.
But what is a forum without a few disagreements.
Utopia doesnt exist hehe
That kills people....

feuerwerke

Postby feuerwerke » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I just find it really laughable that me disagreeing with the idea of a whole bunch of singles events apparently warrants someone wishing my relationship will fail. Just. Wow way to be a stereotypical bitter single person. It's not like I don't want singles events at all. I mean, really, I know how hard it is to find someone. But I read the original post as asking for A LOT, and honestly, one of my biggest complaints about Youmacon this year was how sparse the event options were compared to years past, other cons, etc. So if it stayed like that and then suddenly there were a whole bunch of events that I can't go to in good conscience because I'm not single, I'd be irritated. Especially since some of those things, like a dance or karaoke, 1. have nothing to do with being single or not (well a dance can depending on how you look at it but you get my point), and 2. take up a pretty significant amount of time and planning. The singles only versions could potentially bump out the regular ones, and that'd be pretty lousy for everyone else.

(Also again singles events really need to be more inclusive of LGBT people. Seriously.)

underourcontrol

Postby underourcontrol » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 pm

feuerwerke wrote: (Also again singles events really need to be more inclusive of LGBT people. Seriously.)

honestly, you don't know how badly I would love to have a LGBT event but it seems like everyone and their brother is against even giving me the slightest bit of help or apathy.
This year one was almost formed but only three people showed including myself.
I would be happy to run a single panel just for LGBT but as it's going out of the 90% of people in Youmacon who I'm sure is a part of LGBt aren't making it worth their time.
That kills people....

feuerwerke

Postby feuerwerke » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:51 pm

underourcontrol wrote:
feuerwerke wrote: (Also again singles events really need to be more inclusive of LGBT people. Seriously.)

honestly, you don't know how badly I would love to have a LGBT event but it seems like everyone and their brother is against even giving me the slightest bit of help or apathy.
This year one was almost formed but only three people showed including myself.
I would be happy to run a single panel just for LGBT but as it's going out of the 90% of people in Youmacon who I'm sure is a part of LGBt aren't making it worth their time.

I wanted to go to that meetup and planned on tagging along with a friend of mine, but I was running late and she couldn't find you. =<. But yeah, I find it really offputting how a lot of singles events, especially at anime cons where a lot of people are LGBT, seem to be implicitly straight only. I'm actually bisexual and polyamorous and currently quite open to having a girlfriend (before anyone flips their lids over this, my boyfriend has given me his blessing on this, I'm not going behind anyone's backs here), but lol anime con singles events wouldn't help me anyway since they're always geared towards straight people.

Assuming I can go to Youma next year, I'd be more than happy to help run an LGBT meetup or something, btw. I'd recommend we get big rainbow flags or something so we're easy to find.

underourcontrol

Postby underourcontrol » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Yeah I happen to only be into girls, but sadly this isn't the plane of existence that people where signs on their chest telling people they're sexuality or taken status.
Maybe we could plan a panel?
I would do something like that
but it's a lot easier to plan with and work on it with someone else who is a little more active about it.
That kills people....

feuerwerke

Postby feuerwerke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 am

underourcontrol wrote:Yeah I happen to only be into girls, but sadly this isn't the plane of existence that people where signs on their chest telling people they're sexuality or taken status.
Maybe we could plan a panel?
I would do something like that
but it's a lot easier to plan with and work on it with someone else who is a little more active about it.

That could be doable. I'm a copanelist for the yuri panels already, so I already have some idea how to go about panel stuff. Something that's on the schedule may get more attendance, too. Shoot me a PM and we can talk more about this.

simply_mad
Live Programming Staff
First Anime: Digimon, My Neighbor Totoro, Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby simply_mad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:04 pm

First off as a general PSA and Thing #3 that I'd like to see next year:

Second, I like both of OP's ideas :) I spend a lot of time just wandering around since I'm usually the odd man out of my five-person convention group. It would be cool to see some just general hang-out panels (or at least fewer Ask-A panels), whether or not they're aimed at singles or not.

kyuryu
First Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby kyuryu » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:29 pm

jeremysart wrote:...
2.) MORE SINGLES EVENTS. A lot, and I mean a LOT of us come to Youmacon single, in fact, I have the past three conventions. But a lot of people are also afraid of talking to strangers or afraid to mingle. A singles only dance, and singles only games, perhaps a singles "auction", karaoke etc. would help break the ice or maybe even spark a flame....

Add blue for "Single but I'm completely oblivious to flirting, please be direct" and I think it's a perfect idea. Doesn't HAVE to be glow stick either, but it would be fairly helpful to have like...those rubber bracelets or something, right?

EyesToTheSun
First Anime: Flame of Recca

Postby EyesToTheSun » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:39 am

LMAO, that would be funny!! The organizers will have a hell of a time making sure the couples don't sneak a "single" bracelet and vice versa... I can imagine the resulting chaos! :roll:

Jeana68158
First Anime: Jeana68158

Postby Jeana68158 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:41 am

Talking about the jammer, i would like to recommend the portable gps jammer ,this is the good device to use in the daily life,you can have a look at

Lokione
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Robotech

Postby Lokione » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:33 am

Whoo859
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Postby Whoo859 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 pm

kyuryu wrote:
jeremysart wrote:...
2.) MORE SINGLES EVENTS. A lot, and I mean a LOT of us come to Youmacon single, in fact, I have the past three conventions. But a lot of people are also afraid of talking to strangers or afraid to mingle. A singles only dance, and singles only games, perhaps a singles "auction", karaoke etc. would help break the ice or maybe even spark a flame....

Add blue for "Single but I'm completely oblivious to flirting, please be direct" and I think it's a perfect idea. Doesn't HAVE to be glow stick either, but it would be fairly helpful to have like...those rubber bracelets or something, right?

Even better, each person who goes into a certain event could be given- or, better yet, to avoid the potential "Embarrassment" of having to possibly directly come out to someone who might be homophobic nearby, obtained by each congoer there- a bracelet that says what your individual sexual orientation is if you're available ;)

As well as perhaps whether you're ready for a full-on relationship, casual fling, or simply a hookup (among other things) :love:

Return to “2013 Memories”