Bootleg Pokemon item

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Bootleg Pokemon item

Postby MasterTaco » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 pm

I don't know where to post this so I decided to bring this issue here. I bought a Flareon plush toy from the game room Pokemon Center table this weekend for $20. I got home and decided to research to buy the rest of the set since I was not able to over the weekend. Turns out I bought a bootleg plush. I was under the impression that no bootleg items are to be sold at the convention so I bought this item thinking everything would be fine. Of course when getting home I realized that the tags on the Flareon are dated differently and 1 tag was missing with another tag having misspelling which makes is a giveaway for bootleg. Is there anyway of resolving this year so this does not happen again to anyone else or for everyone who bought bootlegged items from this stand? Though the plush was only $20 I'm pretty pissed I wasted $20 on a fake.

FenRir TenHoor
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Salior Moon

Re: Bootleg Pokemon item

Postby FenRir TenHoor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:01 pm

While I truely feel for you, having bought a fake and all, Caveat emptor (for those of us who don't know latin, "buyer beware."). I was at a panel at Shutocon ran by Greg Ayres about spotting fakes and bootlegs. He also shared a small bit of wisdom, that the burden of proof of bootlegs is on the accuser, not the seller. For example, Square has NEVER released a key blade prop (liability issues, you know), but I have seen at least one at every con I have ever been to! While it still sucks that you actually bought a fake, at least it wasn't too awfully much, and you did get something for your money. Just take the lesson, and do the research while at the con, we all have smart phones, it shouldn't be too hard.

Ichigo Ikane
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah, I realized my Espeon was bootleg as soon as I bought her and read the tag that said it was made at the "POKEMON CONTER." I had one where the stitching was coming loose, but I was able to luckily switch it for a better one from the table. Honestly, I don't really mind that it was a bootleg. All I wanted was an Espeon plush, and an Espeon plush I now have. The fabric that was used to make it though, I like way better than the authentic, and it's way, way softer.
Help my eggs out with clicks! ^^

Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 pm

FenRir TenHoor wrote:I was at a panel at Shutocon ran by Greg Ayres about spotting fakes and bootlegs.
I wouldn't pay much attention to someone who flames and insults people who don't buy things at that cons dealers room during his panels.

First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby feuerwerke » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Pretty much every con will have bootlegged merchandise in its dealer room, and Pokemon bootlegs are extremely prevalent in particular. The problem is that, while bootlegs aren't allowed to be sold at most cons, the dealer that has them has to get caught with them. Otherwise they'll stay up for sale. Some dealers aren't even aware that their products are bootlegs in the first place, for that matter. You always need to pay attention to what you're buying at a convention. Know what you're interested in and know what bootlegged products exist. Know how to compare them to the real thing. I personally outright avoid Pokemon plushies at cons because I'm not as good at spotting fakes as I am with figures.

First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby NoaQep » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:56 am

Oh no! D: I got two Fennekin, a Jolteon, an Umbreon plush set, and an Eevee messenger bag from that stall! I had seen so much stuff there, it was amazing. At least, at first sight. :c
I thought it was legit since they had so much awesome food and drink there, too!

Return to “2013 Memories”