Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Sally
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Re: Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Caffeine wrote:[*]Why no panel space at the courtyard across the street? Ive heard a few rumors that amount to 'they want nothing to do with the con', someone should be contacting their corporate and waving money in their face. Fairly sure a regional GM could come down on the hotel management to get in on things.

I kinda wonder about this as well. It doesn't make sense for them to want nothing to do with us if it means that they will make lots of $$.

I know that it may seem pointless to have extra panel space from them if we have Cobo, unless that means more room for 24 hour programming. It was extremely disappointing to have MST4K early because it needed to be on Cobo for space reasons.

Just something to think about to see if it is worth it to tell some higher-ups that that hotel is denying your business for probably no good reason.

cascade
First Anime: pokemon

Postby cascade » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:52 pm

"2012 - Wreck it Ralph. 2013 - Fix it Felix" thats what a staffer said on a post about youma 13 back in like june but this year was more like Nazi Germany.

thursdays pre-reg staff was rude as hell. all they did was shout and scream and not in a way so we could hear them.

whoever the staffer was who ran the autograph line for team fourstar on saturday should be fired. the lines meshed with the attack on titans line cause attack on titans was LATE as all panels were and for reasons no staff could say. Once A Green Lantern Cosplayer showed up and fixed the line. Only then did staff step in. i think its cause he was making them look bad. congrts Green Lantern. you proved sometimes we can run things better than them

panels were sure as hell cut off on time but always started late for some reason- Look if you know a panel is gonna be big then make it your duty to RUN IT ON TIME!!!!! i understand it cant always be done this way but this seemed to happen to EVERYTHING from opening ceramonies to many 18+ panels. hell even staff cut D.C Douglas short on his erotic reading but ran the voice actors after dark panel late.

FIRE THAT RAVE DJ- jesus christ all he was doing was yelling in the mic. i had a megaphone at the rave and almost felt like yelling to shut the f*** up

the dealers room was a overpriced joke- no offense but the dealers (not artists) are a joke on there prices. many times i seen something i wanted WAY over priced. i could get it cheaper on ebay (and proved it on my phone to the dealer) which must have cause butthurt cause i was ultimatly asked to leave. sorry for being a smart shopper :skeptical:

the only thing i think youmacon listend to us on was the game room and the registration line. sorry to say but unless youmacon gets some ultra big guest i wanna see next year. they lost a attendee :nono:
06: Pokemon Trainer
08: Yugi Moto
11: Edward Elric
12: Vampire Hunter D

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 pm

cascade, you made exactly the same post a few pages ago...

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 pm

ISOS_Duke wrote:Would it be possible to have a single line, maybe two for Platinum members and then 2+ lines for pre-reg 3-day members? From what I saw (though I don't know the actual numbers), there weren't really too, too many platinum members, or at least it seemed that the 3-day people out numbered them greatly. The pre-reg lines could be split booth-wise depending on what type of pass was pre-reg'd for and then from there, split alphabetically (whether with last names or names on cards) so that way each booth would have the named passes for people ready to go?
Once you go over a small amount of badges, personalised badges do nothing but slow down the entire pre reg collection process.
If you want names on badges, unless they are limited small run badges (eg, VIP, Platinum, staff) that are (or should be) handled in a special location, the best way to go is how Otakon does it. Blank space on the badge for people to write their own names after the badge has been collected.

Dark_Sage
First Anime: Desu Desu Desu

Postby Dark_Sage » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Himeno wrote:Once you go over a small amount of badges, personalised badges do nothing but slow down the entire pre reg collection process.
If you want names on badges, unless they are limited small run badges (eg, VIP, Platinum, staff) that are (or should be) handled in a special location, the best way to go is how Otakon does it. Blank space on the badge for people to write their own names after the badge has been collected.

Or you offer to mail the badges out for a fee like ACen does.

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Dark_Sage wrote:
Himeno wrote:Once you go over a small amount of badges, personalised badges do nothing but slow down the entire pre reg collection process.

Or you offer to mail the badges out for a fee like ACen does.
We've already gone over that. Mailing out badges creates more problems then it "solves".

Sally
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:30 pm

I agree with at least having a space to write your name on.

Dark_Sage
First Anime: Desu Desu Desu

Postby Dark_Sage » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Himeno wrote:We've already gone over that. Mailing out badges creates more problems then it "solves".

Enlighten me.

heavens-punisher
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon

Postby heavens-punisher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Dark_Sage wrote:
Himeno wrote:We've already gone over that. Mailing out badges creates more problems then it "solves".

Enlighten me.
a staff member at registration actually fruited out on me when he overheard me and my friends talking about this. he went on saying how allowing people to have badges early could allow people time to counterfeit badges. i replied with how NYCC and SDCC mail there badges and they do it just fine and he just shouted and i tuned him out.

thatsme2
First Anime: VOLTRON

Postby thatsme2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Dark_Sage wrote:

Enlighten me.

Yes Himeno please enlighten us. I know you think you know the ins and outs of the business. As an event promoter for over 20yr one thing I know is that working for an event is MUCH different than being one the promoters. Saying you work for the largest in Australia really is not as relevant as you try to make it. Logistics, laws, pricing, demographics, and the list goes on are much different than here in the states. Having promoted events drawing over 10,000 people, and promoted outside the US I can personally tell you trying to compare promoting in the US is MUCH different than outside.

The folks at Youmacon have continually worked to smooth out the process. Is it perfect...no, it never will. The event continues to grow each year and that alone makes for greater challenges each year. There will never be a point where everyone is completely happy with the event. It is SO easy to armchair quarterback and point out flaws or try to make people believe you can fix it so easily.

BigDoug
First Anime: Riding Bean

Postby BigDoug » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Kagthul wrote:In response to only the bolded:

I go to 5-7 cons a year (that i attend, not work) - not one of them gives out lanyards. Those that have them available at all make you pay. We're talking big cons, too, like Dragon*Con. I pre-reg'ed and everything and all i got was a lousy clip. Lanyards aren't as cheap as people think and it is one of the first places the con will look to save money.

Time Lady Katie wrote:Agreed. Lanyards are not a common free thing like people seem to think. I think ACen might've had them last year, Youma had them, but other than that nothing. I've been expanding my con attendance, and most have transitioned to using the clips the Youma badges used this year. I don't think it's reasonable to hold Youma to some higher standard. I do almost agree, though, that Youma might consider getting rid of them entirely, or just making them a Platinum freebie instead of trying to sell them, though. If the con wants to sell them, I'd suggest doing so in Dealers with the rest of their merch. Having them there at registration felt a little heavy-handed.

First off, $1 or $1.50 seems more like a reasonable price.

It might also be noted that I've been to two different midwestern cons, both about 1000-2000 people in size, that handed out free lanyards, that I can remember. There may have been more. And these were cons that probably operated with a much smaller budget than Youmacon. So when I said that lanyards could be given out for free or for a lot cheaper than $5, I wasn't just talking out my rear with no experience, since I've seen them passed out for free elsewhere.
Formerly PsychoLee
Cosplays for Youmacon 2017:
Gendo Ikari - Done but needs adjustments
Kyubey - Working on it... doesn't help that a lot of costume and other stuff is like "IN STOCK NOV 1".
MAYBE Lupin III

Raika
First Anime: Ronin Warriors?

Postby Raika » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I would actually love to see a Guild wars 2 tournament next year ^.^, or just having the game available to play.

Scoot
First Anime: Beyblade

Postby Scoot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 am

This was my first year attending and I didn't do much besides walking around, but I had a good time, but there were a few things on my mind.

-the way the lines looked for the panels and such scared me away from wanting to attend one, especially since my heart was set on DC's fanfic panel, and also hearing how some were cut off early made me glad that I didn't waste time standing in those lines.

-I didn't pay too much attention to it, but not being able to put our names on our badges was kind of a bummer. I was pretty paranoid about losing my badge the entire time and kept checking my belt loop to make sure I still had it (paying another $60 to replace it was not something I wanted to do). I've lost a badge before and my name being on it ensured that it would be and was found.

-The game room was amazing. I loved the selection of games and being reunited with my love for Para Para Paradise (those who played it and kept seeing the name Rae on there would know...) which I haven't played in years and getting to try out Technika for the 1st time. But, as mentioned by a lot of people here I am sure, the game hogs and line jumpers were pretty annoying. There were people trying to cut in front of others waiting to play DDR or people trying to sneak in their pals in the Pop n' music lines. I was also a little worried about seeing kids playing Left 4 Dead and Gears and being a little rough with the controllers, but someone was there to tell them to calm down. I did love how there were water stations as well as people selling drinks, but holy cow $3 for a bottle of ramune...(also, my boyfriend and I were curious as to what happened to rockband?)

-The dealer's room was also great. I liked how the dealers and artists shared a space rather than having them in separate places. Seeing a mix of anime and pop culture was nice too. My wallet is still aching.

I still had fun and hope to attend again in the future!
Youmacon cosplay:
-TF2 BLU FemScout (entire weekend)

Am I supposed to put something here...?

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 am

BigDoug wrote:
Kagthul wrote:In response to only the bolded:

I go to 5-7 cons a year (that i attend, not work) - not one of them gives out lanyards. Those that have them available at all make you pay. We're talking big cons, too, like Dragon*Con. I pre-reg'ed and everything and all i got was a lousy clip. Lanyards aren't as cheap as people think and it is one of the first places the con will look to save money.

Time Lady Katie wrote:Agreed. Lanyards are not a common free thing like people seem to think. I think ACen might've had them last year, Youma had them, but other than that nothing. I've been expanding my con attendance, and most have transitioned to using the clips the Youma badges used this year. I don't think it's reasonable to hold Youma to some higher standard. I do almost agree, though, that Youma might consider getting rid of them entirely, or just making them a Platinum freebie instead of trying to sell them, though. If the con wants to sell them, I'd suggest doing so in Dealers with the rest of their merch. Having them there at registration felt a little heavy-handed.

First off, $1 or $1.50 seems more like a reasonable price.

It might also be noted that I've been to two different midwestern cons, both about 1000-2000 people in size, that handed out free lanyards, that I can remember. There may have been more. And these were cons that probably operated with a much smaller budget than Youmacon. So when I said that lanyards could be given out for free or for a lot cheaper than $5, I wasn't just talking out my rear with no experience, since I've seen them passed out for free elsewhere.

First, to the bolded: they my COST the con 1$ each. I have no hard facts here, but i know they aren't cheap, and secondly, those other cons may have gotten a deal with their badge printing or otherwise. Youma itself had free lanyards for a year or two because the badge printer gave them to the con for free - and then stopped.

Not every situation is directly comparable to every other, but when a con that draws 70,000 people doesn't give them out for free because of costs (Dragon*Con) its fair to say that cost CAN be a factor
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

Lokione
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Robotech

Postby Lokione » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:31 am

This year was a VAST IMPROVEMENT.

All the positive were mostly done: Reg and what not. I loved the fact that the Battlepods came back. That was awesome.

Neg. The con now has 500000 panel rooms ( I know, not really) Can we schedule some buffer time in between panels. Is that something the Panel host can request?

BIG NEG> The Masquerade host....not so happy with him. I had my 12 and 15 year old sister, and his jokes almost make me pull them from the room. The only reason I stayed was that my friend and wife (their sister) was in the Masquerade.

Make it more kid friendly. It wasn't posted as 18+

Dixie

Return to “2013 Memories”