Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

thatsme2
First Anime: VOLTRON

Re: Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Postby thatsme2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 am

BoomTakeThat wrote:Email contacts. I understand people are busy perhaps rapping this event up still a week later, but over a week to respond to an email makes me think there is a lack of care. I emailed someone at feedback@youmacon.com i believe. Which leads to the next issue or negative thing.

Honestly, having worked youma this year I can tell you that I needed a week to recover, all I did was volunteer 20hrs, on top of all the panels i went to and other events. Most of the actual staff worked on the con for majority of the year and worked 16-20hr days for the event. I know a couple that made it clear they would not be responding to anything for at least 2 weeks. So give them a little more time, it's not a matter of tear down time, or of not caring. They devote so much to the con that they need some personal time now that it is over before starting work on next year.

sycamore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby sycamore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm

This was my first Youmacon and only second-ever convention, and let me just preface this by saying that I had the best time of my life. My group and I never wanted to leave, and will have those memories to keep us happy forever!

My issues mainly revolved around the Press badges. The confusion on Thursday was thankfully minimal, but only because I happened to wander by while looking for where to pick up the press badge and found another group of people doing the same. We were lucky enough to get someone to guide us to the appropriate place and give us what we needed quickly, and I'm very thankful for that man!

Unfortunately, the information packet (which included what events we'd be able to get into early, which would have no line, and information about the round table interviews we were there for - so important stuff!) that our e-mails stated we would receive with our badges was not ready in time for us to pick it up on Thursday. We were asked to return later to receive this information. I came back on Friday, and the information was not ready. The lovely woman at the booth could tell me that information was planning on being e-mailed to each of us. This e-mail was never received.

I'm almost certain that I missed out on the round table interviews that were organized by the convention. If they did, indeed, happen at all, then I wasn't in attendance. This would have been very helpful for my website, and they were the main reason that I applied for and received my press badge.

That being said, I was able to enter one event early (the Random Gibberish/TAMBURIN LOVERIN/Steam Powered Giraffe concert), which was very helpful, as I could speak to a few members early and get some good statements. For the panels and Q&As I attended, they had me wait with the Platinum badge line. While this was still nice, as I got to be quite good friends with the Platinum holders over the course of the weekend, entering as press for the concert showed the guests of honor that I wasn't just a fan and had some business to speak with them about. The staff was generally helpful in this, but many of them had to be coaxed into asking on their walkie talkies to find out when to let me in to events. More solid information known to staff about the badges would be greatly appreciated!

I also don't know where I'm supposed to submit my coverage about the event. The initial email says that this must be submitted in a timely manner, or it could threaten our ability to get the press badge for next year for our organization. If anyone has more information about this, could you please let me know? I definitely would like to get a badge next year!

I don't believe I had any other issues aside from press-badge related while at the convention. Definitely keep those water coolers filled as best as you can, as they were often the only way I got liquid in between running from event to event. Thank you very much!

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:38 pm

sycamore wrote:I also don't know where I'm supposed to submit my coverage about the event. The initial email says that this must be submitted in a timely manner, or it could threaten our ability to get the press badge for next year for our organization. If anyone has more information about this, could you please let me know? I definitely would like to get a badge next year!

I think you said you publish on a website? It should be sufficient to simply e-mail a URL to press@youmacon.com after you've finished publishing (preferably a permalink).

BoomTakeThat
First Anime: Robot Circus

Postby BoomTakeThat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:02 pm

thatsme2 wrote:
BoomTakeThat wrote:Email contacts. I understand people are busy perhaps rapping this event up still a week later, but over a week to respond to an email makes me think there is a lack of care. I emailed someone at feedback@youmacon.com i believe. Which leads to the next issue or negative thing.

Honestly, having worked youma this year I can tell you that I needed a week to recover, all I did was volunteer 20hrs, on top of all the panels i went to and other events. Most of the actual staff worked on the con for majority of the year and worked 16-20hr days for the event. I know a couple that made it clear they would not be responding to anything for at least 2 weeks. So give them a little more time, it's not a matter of tear down time, or of not caring. They devote so much to the con that they need some personal time now that it is over before starting work on next year.

No joke! I understand, this is a job. I told myself that I would give the time length of a month...a month. If I don't receive a reply to [this] or other things in my life in month, i figure that the person/team cares little or at all. I always give people the benefit of the doubt. You guys work a untraditional job putting this together and i'm not in a huge rush, my email (in time) on my phone will tell me almost asap. See but people don't know that you guys need time (or plan on that length) to recover from this in such a fashion so, work with us too :)

sycamore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby sycamore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm

mgperkow wrote:I think you said you publish on a website? It should be sufficient to simply e-mail a URL to press@youmacon.com after you've finished publishing (preferably a permalink).

I did just that, but I was only doing it as a best guess of where to submit. ^_^

Dark_Sage
First Anime: Desu Desu Desu

Postby Dark_Sage » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 pm

I just ended up interviewing myself.

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 am

Erranty wrote:I felt like it was a bit nicer last year when Cobo was being utilized more. The Ren Cen got really overcrowded this year because nobody was interested in the Dealers room long enough to stick around at Cobo, which is partially due to it turning into Fan-art alley.

Sure Cobo doesn't have the nice food court that the Ren Cen has, but Cobo has a lot more room to do a lot of nicer things.
For instance the Area below the dealers room that you turned into a ticket line was WAY too big, and the gaming room felt a bit cramped in certain spaces.
Swapping the two would be perfect.

Right up until gaming had to shut down when Cobo does.

Gaming is in the hotel for a reason - because it is 24 hours and Cobo is not.
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

Sally
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 am

I wonder how much work it would be to have two gaming rooms... a 24-hour room at the Ren Cen and one in Cobo for tournaments and a few other things.

If the con continues to expand, sure it may not be ideal to split the game room up and it would be something to hold off on until absolutely necessary, but it is something to think about if the con grows to hold 20K+ people.

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Sally wrote:I wonder how much work it would be to have two gaming rooms... a 24-hour room at the Ren Cen and one in Cobo for tournaments and a few other things.

That was exactly what we did in 2012. It cost the con a lot more money, because then we had to have two power bills, two staffs, and two bandwidth bills for for internet. And rent on two different rooms. Also, the turnout for tournaments was lower because people didn't realize there were two rooms.
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 am

Kagthul wrote:
Sally wrote:I wonder how much work it would be to have two gaming rooms... a 24-hour room at the Ren Cen and one in Cobo for tournaments and a few other things.

That was exactly what we did in 2012. It cost the con a lot more money, because then we had to have two power bills, two staffs, and two bandwidth bills for for internet. And rent on two different rooms. Also, the turnout for tournaments was lower because people didn't realize there were two rooms.

I am sure that it cost a lot more money. Also no one knew that anything was in Cobo in 2012 anyways. That is one of the reasons why the artists did so poorly and why Cobo panels didn't have anyone in them.

Like I said, I know that it is not ideal to have two rooms but I am just saying that if the con grows to ridiculous sizes then it may be worth it to try again. There would be more revenue coming in due to the increase and with clearer communication and better maps more people would sign up for tournaments. 2012 was not a good year to experiment with the idea because the program books came late, there were no maps in the program books, and communication in general was pretty dang awful.

I understand that it is more work to have more than one room and I am by no means demanding that for next year. I am just saying that it is something to consider (again) for future years.

rawien
First Anime: FMA:Brotherhood

Postby rawien » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56 pm

As far as I can tell, this hasn't been brought up in this thread... but as far as receiving feedback for being in the masquerade and participating in the hall cosplay goes... for the past few years we've been offered to get feedback from the judges on our craftsmanship, but we've never received anything. I'd really like to see what the judges had to say about my cosplay so then I know what to improve on in the future as well as what they liked the most. You give the option to give our e-mail on the actual forms and it seems like they enter it into their system right after we finish the form and we've never received anything after con! I'd very much like the feedback, so how can this process be easier??

MugzieIsGir

Postby MugzieIsGir » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:48 am

This isn't the fault of con staff or volunteers but rather the Ren Cen and the Marriott. I was rushed to DHT Receiving for an inflamed gallbladder and had to undergo emergency surgery. Needless to say, I was very disappointed because I spent so much money on a platinum badge that I didn't even get to use but for two things. They discouraged me from doing a whole lot of walking for the next couple of days and I was devastated because I was looking forward to the con (I've been going to since 2007). I spent from Friday at 6 am to Saturday until 2 pm in the the hospital, and when I was released I went back to the hotel because I was sure that the Marriott had wheelchairs and I wanted to go to the con SO BADLY.

First thing to happen was I went to the concierges who directed me to the front desk, who said they only had two wheel chairs and could not just "rent" them out and that they had to wheel me around in them. So I personally went down to talk to them and they directed me back to concierges. Concierge gave us a list of places to rent wheelchairs and every place was closed and even then could not help me. So I had to walk, I was able to go to the Masquerade but after standing for about 15 minutes, I was exhausted and still had to walk up to my room. I slept most of Saturday.

Sunday, I called to have Marriott wheel me to the people mover were I had a wheelchair waiting for me at Cobo (who were VERY helpful with me renting one). They wheeled me to the main floor after having me wait for 45 minutes and made me walk to the second. I didn't really care to much about it (they were very busy I'm sure with people checking out) because it was only an escalator and a little bit of walking. However as I was leaving Sunday night, I called to have them wheel me to my car. They let me wait an hour and called back saying that both of their chairs were broken. Both of them? Really? So I had to walk down to the lobby to my car, but this time I was very upset because until this point no one was checking out and even the guests had already left (I saw Todd Haberkorn leaving, I would have probably said hi if I wasn't so sad).

I have no feedback for the con... I didn't see it. I went to two things and because I couldn't get a chair... And I didn't get to enjoy the con like I wanted to. I missed pretty much all the events. My only feedback goes to the Marriott, I hated them... they weren't helpful at all and they treated me like utter crap and it made me really, REALLY unhappy. I never stayed at the hotel before and I don't think I want to again.

Though I can say I liked the t-shirts (the one with the blue flame thing on it), that was cool. Dealers room was nice, and people need to do more skits for the Masquerade... I felt like it was a little short this year.

Sally

Postby Sally » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:05 am

MugzieIsGir wrote:This isn't the fault of con staff or volunteers but rather the Ren Cen and the Marriott. I was rushed to DHT Receiving for an inflamed gallbladder and had to undergo emergency surgery. Needless to say, I was very disappointed because I spent so much money on a platinum badge that I didn't even get to use but for two things. They discouraged me from doing a whole lot of walking for the next couple of days and I was devastated because I was looking forward to the con (I've been going to since 2007). I spent from Friday at 6 am to Saturday until 2 pm in the the hospital, and when I was released I went back to the hotel because I was sure that the Marriott had wheelchairs and I wanted to go to the con SO BADLY.

First thing to happen was I went to the concierges who directed me to the front desk, who said they only had two wheel chairs and could not just "rent" them out and that they had to wheel me around in them. So I personally went down to talk to them and they directed me back to concierges. Concierge gave us a list of places to rent wheelchairs and every place was closed and even then could not help me. So I had to walk, I was able to go to the Masquerade but after standing for about 15 minutes, I was exhausted and still had to walk up to my room. I slept most of Saturday.

Sunday, I called to have Marriott wheel me to the people mover were I had a wheelchair waiting for me at Cobo (who were VERY helpful with me renting one). They wheeled me to the main floor after having me wait for 45 minutes and made me walk to the second. I didn't really care to much about it (they were very busy I'm sure with people checking out) because it was only an escalator and a little bit of walking. However as I was leaving Sunday night, I called to have them wheel me to my car. They let me wait an hour and called back saying that both of their chairs were broken. Both of them? Really? So I had to walk down to the lobby to my car, but this time I was very upset because until this point no one was checking out and even the guests had already left (I saw Todd Haberkorn leaving, I would have probably said hi if I wasn't so sad).

I have no feedback for the con... I didn't see it. I went to two things and because I couldn't get a chair... And I didn't get to enjoy the con like I wanted to. I missed pretty much all the events. My only feedback goes to the Marriott, I hated them... they weren't helpful at all and they treated me like utter crap and it made me really, REALLY unhappy. I never stayed at the hotel before and I don't think I want to again.

Though I can say I liked the t-shirts (the one with the blue flame thing on it), that was cool. Dealers room was nice, and people need to do more skits for the Masquerade... I felt like it was a little short this year.

This sucks so bad. I am so sorry all of this happened to you.

You need to call and complain to management. The way that they treated you and the fact that you could not get a wheelchair is simply unacceptable. That Marriott is world famous and has business people from all over staying there, including nation leaders. If the same thing happened to Barack Obama, and their only 2 wheelchairs were broken, um, that would be pretty horrendous.

As a world-famous and important landmark hotel, they should be far more accommodating to needs like that. They aren't some crappy motel who can't afford amenities like that. Their customers pay big money to stay at their hotel and like I said, if a similar thing happened to Obama while staying at their hotel, would they be totally unable to serve him in a special way because of their broken wheelchair policies?

Aiko-Chan

Postby Aiko-Chan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 am

AlgusUnderdunk wrote:
Lokione wrote:This year was a VAST IMPROVEMENT.

All the positive were mostly done: Reg and what not. I loved the fact that the Battlepods came back. That was awesome.

Neg. The con now has 500000 panel rooms ( I know, not really) Can we schedule some buffer time in between panels. Is that something the Panel host can request?

BIG NEG> The Masquerade host....not so happy with him. I had my 12 and 15 year old sister, and his jokes almost make me pull them from the room. The only reason I stayed was that my friend and wife (their sister) was in the Masquerade.

Make it more kid friendly. It wasn't posted as 18+

Dixie

My sincerest apologies, generally I do try to keep my material more age-appropriate. Was there one bit in particular that was more ...naughty, than need be?

I didn't hear anything naughty in there, AT ALL. No offense to the person who was upset but if you were pulling your 15 year old sister out of there and If I were her I would be totally embarrassed and feel like I'm being treated like a kid for a 15 year old. I've been attending this con since I was about 12 going on 13 at that time, and the other guy who hosted the masquerade way back then, was kind of boring, Algus you did a great job and keep up the great work, I hope they keep you as the Masquerade Host and the host of everything else that you do! :) You had everyone laughing their butts off! I'm 19 now, I'll be 20 for youmacon 2014! I'm expecting to see you again.
:) I likes making new friends!
Find me at!
Youmacon 2013 :)
Acen 2014
Youmacon 2014!
What I cosplayed for at youmacon 2012: Mew Lettuce from tokyo mew mew, Sailor Saturn and Pirate seychelles!
https://www.facebook.com/IzzysCrazyCosplay

BoomTakeThat
First Anime: Robot Circus

Postby BoomTakeThat » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:09 am

BoomTakeThat wrote:
thatsme2 wrote:

No joke! I understand, this is a job. I told myself that I would give the time length of a month...a month. If I don't receive a reply to [this] or other things in my life in month, i figure that the person/team cares little or at all. I always give people the benefit of the doubt. You guys work a untraditional job putting this together and i'm not in a huge rush, my email (in time) on my phone will tell me almost asap. See but people don't know that you guys need time (or plan on that length) to recover from this in such a fashion so, work with us too :)

So...how much longer should I wait admins? I'm starting to go with the "team cares little or not all." Lack of communication seems to be an issue when it comes to answering emails, replying to feedback forms, and these forums...and overall responsibility. Only one supposed admin....come on. I'll come back in another couple weeks and see if I get an answer to my original post.

Return to “2013 Memories”