Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

DietSoDuh
First Anime: Death Note

Re: Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Postby DietSoDuh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

tekfox wrote:Hi!

Tekfox here, I was the last DJ to go on Saturday night. I just wanted to poke in here and say a few things about the rave issues/concerns. I don't have anything to do with the programing of the rave, I'm just lucky enough to be able to play at them, but I do run similar events at other conventions so while I can't speak for youmacon I can shed some light on what goes on at least from an organizers perspective.

It is impossible to program to make everyone happy 100% of the time, which is the challenge presented at any event like this. I think the con staff did a great job with saturday as the night had a flow and a ramp up spanning lots of different genres. It started with some techno/house, and moved into trance/electro, after that was Robert Lux playing his electric style which I have a hard time pinning down to a specific genre. After that the DJ played mostly Final Fantasy remixes, which then moved into drumstep/dnb and finally I played some dubstep/trap/dng and glitchhop. I personally tried to integrate a lot of game/anime tracks into my set because thats what all of you are there for :)

Maybe it might help to advertise which DJs are playing what over the course of the night?

The suggestion for the "lapfox guy" is a good one, especially because just about all the DJ know him personally, so I'll pass that along to the staff.

To everyone that came to the dances and at least enjoyed some little part of it, thank you so much. This was my second year coming out to Youmacon and to be honest it is the one gig I look forward to more than any. The energy that everyone brings is infectious and to see and feel that just blows me away every time.

Thanks so so much for passing the word about LapFox along. Next year i'll listen for it~
dietsoduh.tumblr.com

Sally
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Sally » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Guys, you done good this year.

We were at the bottom of page 13 by this time last year. This year we are only starting page 8.

So yay!

AlgusUnderdunk
SPACE LANCE.

Postby AlgusUnderdunk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Lokione wrote:This year was a VAST IMPROVEMENT.

All the positive were mostly done: Reg and what not. I loved the fact that the Battlepods came back. That was awesome.

Neg. The con now has 500000 panel rooms ( I know, not really) Can we schedule some buffer time in between panels. Is that something the Panel host can request?

BIG NEG> The Masquerade host....not so happy with him. I had my 12 and 15 year old sister, and his jokes almost make me pull them from the room. The only reason I stayed was that my friend and wife (their sister) was in the Masquerade.

Make it more kid friendly. It wasn't posted as 18+

Dixie

My sincerest apologies, generally I do try to keep my material more age-appropriate. Was there one bit in particular that was more ...naughty, than need be?
I do say, I'm rather put off by these serpents aboard our aircraft.

TaroMaster4
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby TaroMaster4 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 pm

delusional_mrsstein wrote:I just wanna say I've been coming to Youmacon for 4 years, and Youmacon ~ you got it so right this year! ! If I look back at feedback threads, you've taken a lot of feedback into account and have acted on it so this just a BIG FAT THANK YOU POST!

You can't help it but, I hate that @#&% People Mover! ! ! ! D:<

They almost got it right. Apparently they or someone else has it out to get me because i was kicked out of the convention right after the teamfourstar 18+ panel on friday. I have to guess it's Teamfourstar and they hate me for some reason i can guess why too. I did pester them in the past which i apologized multiple times for in the future but i think it was because of how mad I get when people talk down to me. I think I may have said something i regretted and now they think i'm an awful person. Actually yeah i think i can confirm that it's just i did say i was sorry about that too multiple times as well but i think they took it rather seriously.

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 am

TaroMaster4 wrote:
delusional_mrsstein wrote:I just wanna say I've been coming to Youmacon for 4 years, and Youmacon ~ you got it so right this year! ! If I look back at feedback threads, you've taken a lot of feedback into account and have acted on it so this just a BIG FAT THANK YOU POST!

They almost got it right. Apparently they or someone else has it out to get me because i was kicked out of the convention right after the teamfourstar 18+ panel on friday. I have to guess it's Teamfourstar and they hate me for some reason i can guess why too. I did pester them in the past which i apologized multiple times for in the future but i think it was because of how mad I get when people talk down to me. I think I may have said something i regretted and now they think i'm an awful person. Actually yeah i think i can confirm that it's just i did say i was sorry about that too multiple times as well but i think they took it rather seriously.

Wtf

How would they know that you were even there among hundreds of other people

Why would they have you kicked out of the convention after their panel?

You sure you weren't breaking some other con rule that gave staff a reason to take your badge?

I don't even know why you are posting this here. Like what do you expect sympathy from us? We know too little about this situation, you could even be making up parts of it because why should I trust that what you are posting is even true? It just sounds too weird to me.

TaroMaster4

Postby TaroMaster4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Sally wrote:
TaroMaster4 wrote:

Wtf

How would they know that you were even there among hundreds of other people

Why would they have you kicked out of the convention after their panel?

You sure you weren't breaking some other con rule that gave staff a reason to take your badge?

I don't even know why you are posting this here. Like what do you expect sympathy from us? We know too little about this situation, you could even be making up parts of it because why should I trust that what you are posting is even true? It just sounds too weird to me.

I'm telling the truth here. Apparently they knew my name due to my twitter which has my real name on it, how they recognized me out of hundreds is still a mystery to me maybe they found a picture of me or something. As for why i was kicked out i'm still not sure but apparently they have it in their contract that if I'm there they don't want to be there which I learned so nicely after investigating with my dad from the head of security guy named owen. Owen said it was because Teamfourstar are uncomfortable around me and they really need to make sure the guests are happy. Thing was i wasn't told this till the next day and after some investigating they almost got the police involved and i didn't know why.

Apparently owen said that they were about to put a restraining order in the process for me. Well after my dad convinced him about how i'm not a threat and completely harmless owen said he'd tell TFS about this and get it lifted.

My only worry right now is next year and since they go every year they won't want me there. Any advice? Please understand from my autistic prospective that it's hard for me sometimes.

Dark_Sage
First Anime: Desu Desu Desu

Postby Dark_Sage » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:09 pm

TaroMaster4 wrote:I'm telling the truth here. Apparently they knew my name due to my twitter which has my real name on it, how they recognized me out of hundreds is still a mystery to me maybe they found a picture of me or something. As for why i was kicked out i'm still not sure but apparently they have it in their contract that if I'm there they don't want to be there which I learned so nicely after investigating with my dad from the head of security guy named owen. Owen said it was because Teamfourstar are uncomfortable around me and they really need to make sure the guests are happy. Thing was i wasn't told this till the next day and after some investigating they almost got the police involved and i didn't know why.

Apparently owen said that they were about to put a restraining order in the process for me. Well after my dad convinced him about how i'm not a threat and completely harmless owen said he'd tell TFS about this and get it lifted.

My only worry right now is next year and since they go every year they won't want me there. Any advice? Please understand from my autistic prospective that it's hard for me sometimes.

If they were creeped out enough by you that they were gonna throw a restraining order against you, maybe it's best for everyone that you don't go to the con.

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 pm

TaroMaster4 wrote:I'm telling the truth here. Apparently they knew my name due to my twitter which has my real name on it, how they recognized me out of hundreds is still a mystery to me maybe they found a picture of me or something. As for why i was kicked out i'm still not sure but apparently they have it in their contract that if I'm there they don't want to be there which I learned so nicely after investigating with my dad from the head of security guy named owen. Owen said it was because Teamfourstar are uncomfortable around me and they really need to make sure the guests are happy. Thing was i wasn't told this till the next day and after some investigating they almost got the police involved and i didn't know why.

Perhaps this is something you may want to speak directly to Youmacon staff about. I do not believe that this is something that regular members can solve and from the sounds of it, the nature of the topic seems less suited for the boards and more suited in PMs with staff (to keep from arguments and whatnot). I do not think you will find any solid answers outside of those that are responsible for the event.
Last edited by ISOS_Duke on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

TheMoonGetsMe

Postby TheMoonGetsMe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:24 pm

People.

The elevators.

Get over it.

90% of you could use more exercise. And if you'd stop throwing up in them, other people could use them.

Erranty
First Anime: FLCL

Postby Erranty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:22 am

I felt like it was a bit nicer last year when Cobo was being utilized more. The Ren Cen got really overcrowded this year because nobody was interested in the Dealers room long enough to stick around at Cobo, which is partially due to it turning into Fan-art alley.

Sure Cobo doesn't have the nice food court that the Ren Cen has, but Cobo has a lot more room to do a lot of nicer things.
For instance the Area below the dealers room that you turned into a ticket line was WAY too big, and the gaming room felt a bit cramped in certain spaces.
Swapping the two would be perfect.

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:53 am

Erranty wrote:I felt like it was a bit nicer last year when Cobo was being utilized more. The Ren Cen got really overcrowded this year because nobody was interested in the Dealers room long enough to stick around at Cobo, which is partially due to it turning into Fan-art alley.

There were just as many dealers this year as last year. There were fewer artists this year then last year. All they did was change the layout of the room so the artists weren't at the back of the room.

Sally

Postby Sally » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 am

ISOS_Duke wrote:

Perhaps this is something you may want to speak directly to Youmacon staff about. I do not believe that this is something that regular members can solve and from the sounds of it, the nature of the topic seems less suited for the boards and more suited in PMs with staff (to keep from arguments and whatnot). I do not think you will find any solid answers outside of those that are responsible for the event.

If whatever you did to them caused them to file a restraining order against you, then a feedback thread is not the place to be posting about this. This is a legal issue that needs to be dealt with by con security and the police.

Whatever you do, do not talk to Team Four Star directly. Have some sort of third party involved to communicate between you.

If TFS still finds that a restraining order is what is best, then don't plan on going to the con. If whatever you did was bad enough to file a restraining order, then it is difficult for them to just shake it off, especially since they are somewhat famous and have to deal with crazy people often I am sure. They are just trying to be safe and careful and as unirritated as possible.

Taiju
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Taiju » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Erranty wrote:Sure Cobo doesn't have the nice food court that the Ren Cen has, but Cobo has a lot more room to do a lot of nicer things.
For instance the Area below the dealers room that you turned into a ticket line was WAY too big, and the gaming room felt a bit cramped in certain spaces.
Swapping the two would be perfect.

I guess you weren't there last year for youmacon. The tickets were inside the Ren Cen, and due to understaffing (along with other problems), the line took absurdly long, much longer than this year. Also, switching the gamerooms to Cobo would cause an unimaginable amount of backlash. Cobo shuts down after (I think midnight), and a lot of people enjoy the after hours gaming. I do believe that one of the Youma staff leaders has mentioned this in the forums before.

the real death note
First Anime: Sailor moon

Postby the real death note » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:37 pm

The only bad thing I have to say is the people that schedule people need to be better. I was in bubblestuck, and they cut are panel an hour. Those people need to be fired, bubblestuck had a 2 hour slot. This should not happen next year. I don't care if you don't if you don't like homestuck, you have a job to do. That means not cutting a panel time because you don't like something.
youmacon 2014
sailor mercury swag- 99% thur.
Dead!Dave- 100% sun.?
spritzee- 100% fir.,sat

BoomTakeThat
First Anime: Robot Circus

Postby BoomTakeThat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:29 am

First time to Youmacon, but not my first cos-con.

Pros:

As some sort of beginning photographer, cosplayers were awesome. Most everyone seemed cool to talk to and loved getting their pics taken.
Easy parking on cobo roof saturday, despite the construction.

Cons:

Lanyards and badges...i don't know how ShutoCon makes it work, but I got a plastic card (with artist work) and lanyard for free as a walkin. It'd be sweet to see that.

Like some else said, foldable map and schedule. I carry a backpack with camera gear, i don't have room for that magazine. Also, ShutoCon gave a bag out and that was included and the staff members directly gave it to you.

Email contacts. I understand people are busy perhaps rapping this event up still a week later, but over a week to respond to an email makes me think there is a lack of care. I emailed someone at feedback@youmacon.com i believe. Which leads to the next issue or negative thing.

And I discussed this in the email; (PM me if you want) A certain vendor/artist had issues with people taking photos directed at their booth. Instead of having security or a staff member handle it, they took the issue into their own hands. My wife and i (yes i'm older) were cornered by a rather big black man with dreads and told to delete the photos on the camera. I deleted the photo i took out of fear that he would be rash and take my camera by force. They seemed to be stopping other people who were taking photos as well. Most vendor/artists didn't seem to care, but i don't understand the reason they would freak and chase people down. And what I said in the email, was whether or not they have a right to ask or possibly force con-goers to delete photos? If its a big deal, email me back like I ask kindly or PM me about so I just avoid using a camera in there.

Ultimately we had a great time, but everyone i tell that situation about can't believe it. Its like, whats the difference between this and some shop owner in A2 calling the cops on me because i took a photo of someones car outside their place...when the shop owner has merch in the window, which is coincidently in my shot? (Sorry for the run-on sentence.)

Return to “2013 Memories”