Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our ninth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Postby mgperkow » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:31 am

This is the official feedback thread for Youmacon 2013. Comments? Suggestions? This is the place.

PrettyFufu
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Re: Youmacon 2013 Official Feedback

Postby PrettyFufu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm

This was my first year there and I had a really great time! The staff at the Cobo were more friendly than the staff at the Ren Center, and I wished there were more video game themed vendors.

feuerwerke
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby feuerwerke » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:08 pm

I had a good time, but I feel like programming was lacking. I know you guys have no control over what panels people apply for, but more alternative events would've been nice. It seems like, once the dealer room closed, literally every panel was attracting massive lines just because there were so few options on what to do. I would've appreciated the maid cafe being open on other days, too, since I only attended on Saturday and missed out.

Ichigo Ikane

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Can we please get a rave without the dubstep for a change? In prior years it was nothing but awesome, dancible trance, but more and more I keep hearing dubstep with beats impossible to dance too. I didn't care for the DJ either. In the beginning, he was cool, but as the night went on, he began to sound more and more like a preacher, and it made dancing for me awkward. I want to listen to MUSIC when I dance, not someone on the mic trying to continuously drum up hype from the crowd, OR the rapping.
Help my eggs out with clicks! ^^

BigDoug
First Anime: Riding Bean

Postby BigDoug » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:49 pm

The rain. Make it stop.

(Okay, so I know you couldn't control the weather...)
Formerly PsychoLee
Cosplays for Youmacon 2017:
Gendo Ikari - Done but needs adjustments
Kyubey - Working on it... doesn't help that a lot of costume and other stuff is like "IN STOCK NOV 1".
MAYBE Lupin III

Maus

Postby Maus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I enjoyed the con, but there are definitely a few things that need fixing.

1.) The popular panels need bigger rooms. For many panels, more than half of the people in line were being turned away, which sucks because they paid to attend these panels. An online survey could be used to determine panel popularity, and thus determine the size of the rooms.

2.) The lines for the panels were very disorganized, often overlapping other lines. This could be mitigated by staggering all of the events by 10 minutes.

3.) Many of the panel presentations were negatively affected by the lack of Internet. I know that the Internet is out of Youmacon's control. However, it might be wise to warn the panelists about these problems. Advise them to bring their presentations on a flash drive.

4.) There needs to be better communication about rescheduled panels/events. People need to be kept informed, and in the event that the people are informed they need more than a five minute heads-up. (My friends and I didn't get to see the Evangelion 3.33 premier and we're super sad about it.)

Side Note: Can me make it mandatory to attend a "How Not To Be A Giant ****" panel? Ahaha. I'm kidding, because I'm fairly certain this wouldn't help at all. There were definitely video game hogs, though. Also people spitting off the balconies, and people just lashing out at off-gender/off-race/off-size cosplayers.

I would also like to mention the things Youmacon did right!

1.) The Dealer's Room/Artist's Alley was fantastic. While it was still a little crowded at times, you could definitely still move and breathe.

2.) The Thursday night line was handled beautifully. There were a good thousand people ahead of me and I only had to wait for a little over an hour. I hope the same is true of the Friday and Saturday lines. I know that the Friday registration didn't begin until noon and that some people were upset about this, but I would like to point out that most of the panels/events didn't begin until 3pm.

3.) The People Mover passes were a great idea. I don't know if this was Youmacon's doing or Detroit's, but they helped keep things running smoothly.

Side Note: I really enjoyed the panels I did get to attend. Shout out to the panelists that ran "How to Con", "Otaku Pop Quiz", "Critical Analysis of Anime", "Talk Yuri To Me", and "Youma Whose Line". Also, shout out to all of the kind and respectful con-goers.

DietSoDuh
First Anime: Death Note

Postby DietSoDuh » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I have a different approach to the music at the dance.

I didn't recognize any of the music as dubstep. Though, I only hung around from probably two hours. Maybe it changed- i don't know.
I thought the music was too trance-based. Each song sounded the same and became monotonous. I love electronic music, don't get me wrong, but it gets to a point where you need to change it up.
If i can suggest- look into Lapfox Trax. Completely dance-y and absolutely refreshing sounds. For starters, I'd check out these songs: http://lapfox.bandcamp.com/album/reload-x-on-trax-vol-3

If the music was more fun i probably wouldn't of gone to bed so early.
dietsoduh.tumblr.com

Melodux
First Anime: Yu Yu Hakusho

Postby Melodux » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 pm

feuerwerke wrote:I had a good time, but I feel like programming was lacking. I know you guys have no control over what panels people apply for, but more alternative events would've been nice. It seems like, once the dealer room closed, literally every panel was attracting massive lines just because there were so few options on what to do.

I agree. There were a number of panels that I wanted to attend, that I couldn't because the line was too long to get in. One time, a staff member remarked that panels are often downgraded from the rooms that the panelists apply for. While I can't say that it's true or not, I do see the sense in giving returning, popular panels {like All Tied Up} bigger rooms for more attendees.

That being said, my friends and I found ourselves in the game room more often than any other place, because there simply wasn't much to do, and even though the variety in the game room was phenomenal and I did have fun in there most of the time, I can play video games at home for free. The only other gripe about the game room that I have is the controllers being taken away for many games.

The last thing that I can think of is a little disappointment that pre-reg badges didn't have nicknames printed on them, even though we went through the redeeming process and were asked to put one in the system.

Other than that, this year was a huge improvement from last year and I'm loving the pre-reg People Mover passes. It really has eased my tension about travelling to and from Cobo. The guest roster was amazing, as was the surplus of dealers {though I also agree with getting more video game dealers}. And everything seemed spaced out well. Good job, guys!

I only date Keyblade Masters.

allanime01
First Anime: Toonami as a whole.

Postby allanime01 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

What time I didn't spend working behind the desk I found usually enjoyable.
I agree on the Rave part, i've made comments on this before but the thing is this rave is less and less "Youmacon Dance/Rave" and more "Way less awesome version of a normal Detroit Rave I attend once a month" I'd say either the DJ needs to change up his line-up, or some better entertainment would be necessary.
I liked the Panels. Most were good, although the unforeseen restriction Cobo had on Nudity images apparently halted some of the more adult panels? I wasn't aware of this since I didnt visit Cobo for any 18+ other than Guests Against Humanity (Which was amazing btw, especially TFS playing)Video Game Room was as usual a shining gem here! So many great games and great folks, free to play, 24 hours a day.
People Mover was super crowded at a lot of times but then again, thats not something you can control, just a note. On the subject of People Movers though the passes situation might need to be handled better next year, though going about that I have no idea. Other than these, i've no real complaints. The panels were pretty good, I even ran one myself that turned out to be better than expected (though will need to be longer than I thought next year) The dealers room was as packed with goodies as usual all of which made me sob due to lack of finances, annnnd yeah. All around a great Youma. MUCH better than last year too!

A main suggestion for next year: Information Booths. One at the Ren Cen (probably around Con Ops, or hell make it a part of the Con Ops booth) and one at Cobo. So many folks asking (80% of them the same) questions and apparently running around the con/between the two for answers, until they were sent to Con Ops for the answer where I or someone then sometimes had to send them elsewhere. I think it would be good to have booths where someone can clearly see "ah so this is where I can ask my question" and such. Just a thought.

Already looking forward to 2014, planning my cosplays, and hoping to work alongside the great staff myself. Until then I hope to see everyone at M2X!!!!
Youma '13 Achievement score: 420/1000 (I wish I could say I planned that)

Voice Acting Website
Voice Acting FB Page

M2E 2015 Cosplays: TBA
Youma '14 Cosplays: Cancelled due to destruction ;~;

heavens-punisher
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon

Postby heavens-punisher » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:07 pm

the cobo staff was really nice and i loved how the registration went so fast. the dealers room again was very welcoming since it was so open and i loved how big the game room was.

what i didnt like was the panel timing. many times i seen staff stop the panel so they could start the next but then they would start the next panel 10-15 min late. perfect example was when D.C Douglas had his erotic wesker reading panel. They didnt hesitate to cut it off when the time was up but then they started the next panel which was voice actors after dark 20 min late which only gave them 40 min to do there thing. kinda unfair and a tad BS.

the autograph lines on saturday was total chaos. security let me a normal 3-day run the line and organize it. only then did staff step in once i had it organized :?

i know youma cant fix this but the DTP were totally rude. they forced many people out of the People mover and shouting to "go left" and such. i still have no idea what all that was about

daegan

Postby daegan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm

+ Con seemed much much more "together" than last year. Where it felt disjointed before, it felt pretty well-organized this year which is great.

- Con seemed under-staffed. Obviously this is more something you hope for rather than actively seek out but I just plain did not see many staffers all weekend, nor did I see security during such obvious problems as the Spider-Man and Deadpool riding office chairs around the glass ring (which I'm sure they were eventually staffed but still.) I am sure this puts more stress on the staffers you do have so hopefully this is something that can be turned around!

+ Game room. Simply awesome. An entire TurboGrafx/PC Engine section?! Jubeat?!?! Saturn Bomberman? Fantastic.

- Post when the game room play closes down! I wouldn't have rushed back this afternoon if I would've known I wouldn't get to get some jubeat in!

+ Cobo is much much nicer now.

- Panel rooms in Cobo can sometimes be too big?

- Panels that have previously filled bigger rooms were pushed into smaller ones. Good idea to pay attention in future to previous attendance...

Aiko-Chan

Postby Aiko-Chan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Okay, this year was the BEST year I've had in years of going.
There is however some downsides
Main Programming- Opening Ceremonies was 45 minutes late, the Friday night Rave Nearly 2 hours late!!!
Alot of the main programming was off and late. The least you all could be was on time with some of the events.
During the Rave some guy on the mic kept shouting on it, it was all cool at first but then it went on all night that became so annoying to where a few of us left out, we're like um, can we at least listen to the music... not some guy shouting over them, even the dj's were looking at him like what the heck stop. I want to listen to the DJ's art.

Up side - Your Staff did an AMAZING Job this year, I lost my badge at the Rave while trying to get out, I cried (because I over panicked) But, your staff remained calm, even with me being drunk as well, they remained calm and did anything they could to help me! Turns out one of your security staff picked it up when I was walking out. I went to con ops and security, I forgot the one particular girl's name who helped me. But I just want to say thank you! Staff you were completely professional and did an awesome job!
Also, on friday night of the rave, I noticed a guy was forcing younger girls to grind on him, and I went and reported him to a staff, the staff came inside to see for themselves, and they took him out in an orderly fashion and I really appreciate that we're being taken care of like that.
:) I likes making new friends!
Find me at!
Youmacon 2013 :)
Acen 2014
Youmacon 2014!
What I cosplayed for at youmacon 2012: Mew Lettuce from tokyo mew mew, Sailor Saturn and Pirate seychelles!
https://www.facebook.com/IzzysCrazyCosplay

allanime01
First Anime: Toonami as a whole.

Postby allanime01 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Oh right! Badges! What was up with that? Two main things were 1 I had my SN for Twitter/FB /Tumblr on mine so that way folks that enjoyed me at panels and/or while socializing can find me, but this time they were so plain. I can understand that maybe it was for simplicity, to basically hand a badge to one who payed and voila you're done, however this kinda left them impersonal. More so of an annoyance though was lost badges. A couple were turned in and the thing is we couldn't technically find out who they could have belonged too (except for a couple that had sharpie printings on them and one with a leash) if one were to try looking for it. A lot of folks were asking if we had found their lost badge and even though every time I was working we didn't, I couldnt help but wonder even if we did, how could we even prove it was theirs?
Even if it's just a blank spot and you have sharpies (whether you're pre or at con registration) there really should be an area to write a name of some kind, that or you should really encourage folks to initial or draw on the backs of their badges.
Youma '13 Achievement score: 420/1000 (I wish I could say I planned that)

Voice Acting Website
Voice Acting FB Page

M2E 2015 Cosplays: TBA
Youma '14 Cosplays: Cancelled due to destruction ;~;

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Postby Himeno » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Reg was better then last year but still has a lot of work to do. Almost all the youmacon reg staff I've dealt with have been rude.
There was a booth for press pass collection near pre reg. I see no reason why this booth couldn't have been used for Platinum badge pick up as well.
Attendees were told they were not allowed to line up for reg more then 1 hour before opening. Yet around 200 people entered the on day line on Friday morning before prereg opened, and thus skipped the on day queue forming upstairs. Why was there no one in the hall at the on day line entrance making them go back upstairs to join the queue?

You need to fire and replace the webmaster. She has disappeared repeatedly over the last 2 years and this has caused a number of problems (eg, late AA/panel submissions last year, reg database update/correction issues this year) A friend of mine is out $120 solely because she spent 4 months trying to contact Youmacon through every possible contact option only to run into people who never responded or staff saying "not my problem".

The sunday morning RenCen elevator issue needs to be fixed. I spent 45 mins on floor 64 waiting for a ride down because people kept going up to go down. I then took my bags down the stairs to floor 40 to try the lowrise from the top. I was there for at least another 25 mins while at least 7 elevators arrived already full from people getting on at lower floors and coming up when they didn't need to.
All it takes to fix this is having 12 staff (either youmacon or hotel) for 5-6 hours on Sunday morning to make people use the elevators properly. Or for the elevators to be set to go to the highest active call, then go right down to 1/3. Each elevator could be set to cover a range of 8-10 floors and on Sunday morning only respond to down calls on those floors.

delusional_mrsstein
First Anime: Bleach

Postby delusional_mrsstein » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:14 pm

I just wanna say I've been coming to Youmacon for 4 years, and Youmacon ~ you got it so right this year! ! If I look back at feedback threads, you've taken a lot of feedback into account and have acted on it so this just a BIG FAT THANK YOU POST!

You can't help it but, I hate that @#&% People Mover! ! ! ! D:<

Return to “2013 Memories”