Con Horror Stories

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eighth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Re: Con Horror Stories

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm

I ruined my Deadpool cosplay, my Snake cosplay was falling apart and I forgot stuff for my two others back at home. Then when I was taking off the face paint for Snake, it wasn't coming off completely. Had me terrified for a while.
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

shamrock2lilly
First Anime: Sailor moon/ Dragon Ball

Postby shamrock2lilly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 pm

For those with disabilities on the elevators and those who had stories realated:
Honestly I hate hearing this since my sister is disabled it annoys me to know some people refuse to give them help.
I thank anyone who was awesome and assisted any individual you thought required assistance.
I remember trying to assist a pregnant woman last year as well as a 85 yr old grandmother get a space on one so I get it.

Don't get your hopes up but to solve this issue:
It is on my list of complaints for next year, that those with a bona fide handicap may be able to have an elevator they can use possibly even the service elevator.
They are harder to find but I know last year hotel staff did allow Youmacon staff to use them from time to time and it should be ok for handicap use.
I also believe it possible to give a badge (such as the blue car tags) to those individuals so that they may establish themselves as actually in need of assistance.

Once again I thank those super people who stood up and helped out I know it took your time and patience, as well as a great deal of effort not to be rude to the others.
I hope we may come up with an appropriate solution for next year so that ALL our guests can feel less frazzled, a lot safer, and far more appreciated than this year.

MaskedxMaestro
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby MaskedxMaestro » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Well, let's see here. Three buttons fell off (dry cleaners weakened them.), a belt piece came unsewn, four roommates of mine bailed on me the day of, and my fiance didn't get the time off from work to be able to stay the whole weekend.
Yup.
Sebastian Michaelis
Hiram McDaniels
~Youmacon 2013~

caitie2243
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby caitie2243 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Well um. I was really sick the whole time?
Also I lost my shorts and my sister lost her flag.

Annnd heres an actual horror story thing that happened on Sunday:

I had to stay later on Saturday (I think i ended up leaving around 8?) and all my friends had left around 6ish. So I was left wandering the con on my own looking for people to talk to. It was pretty empty except for a few people, I got tired of walking around and so i just sat at a table by myself in the wintergarden texting people until i had to leave. I was maybe sitting there 4 minutes on my own when this guy comes up to me and he's like "You are so beautiful and you even get a table all to yourself!? ****." and i fake laughed and said thank you, i was trying to be polite. I could kind of smell alcohol on him and I was already guessing he was drunk. I didnt want to be rude and get up and leave so I stayed put hoping he would just leave me alone. He sat down and showed me this laminated book thing (I have no idea what it was - i started to read it but he kept talking so i just gave it back.) He was talking to me and not really making too much sense about how people are racist and he was saying he's from the East side of Detroit and women like me dont talk to them and he didnt know why (his words not mine.), he was also saying that people steal others joy and I told him you cant rely on others to make you happy, you have to do that for yourself. And he agreed with me and kept telling me not to let anyone steal my joy. He would also randomly say I was sexy and beautiful and whatever. He told me how he's a salesman and he told me he got "**** up with some kids" and I was just being polite and stuff- finally he said he was gonna go eat and I told him to go soon because they may close soon. He agreed and was about to go but this other guy came up to me saying he thought he saw me before at a meetup - I was wondering which one and I was gonna ask but the drunk man stopped and stayed and he just yelled "No you didnt." and the other guy was like "Well she looks familiar, and i think i might have." He then left and in my head I was just like "nooo dont leave me with this guy ohmygosh. please come back no." and the drunk guy SAT BACK DOWN (no ;;) and he started talking about people stealing joy again and how i was beautiful and blahblah and so I say "I have a girlfriend." then he goes really loud, "****. I figured you were gay right when you said Hello. A woman beautiful as you is gay then we know these guys **** up." and i fake laughed and said thank you and he went on again about not letting anyone steal my joy. I finally got him to leave though telling him to go eat and he ended up leaving but not going to eat. A few seconds after he walked away I got up and started walking somewhere else and I texted a friend of mine asking if he was still there. He was and he told me to go meet him - so i did. He was staff and so I was safe and all was well. It was still scary though and I am just glad that guy didnt try anything. dsbgfdkg
あいしてる<3

Emiko87

Postby Emiko87 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Deadend wrote:Bohemian Rhapsody. I heard it being played (generally poorly) in Rock Band for at least 5 hours of my weekend.

omg, that and Dani California. SO MANY PEOPLE SINGING DANI CALIFORNIA. Sunday morning there were three people singing it together and I swear each of them was in a different key, and I couldn't move away because I was in the chair monitoring that end of the room :x
q. how many kids with add does it take to change a lightbulb?
a. let's all go ride bikes!

...in America

Juvia Lockser 2014

The_Original_UberCuber

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Emiko87 wrote:
Deadend wrote:Bohemian Rhapsody. I heard it being played (generally poorly) in Rock Band for at least 5 hours of my weekend.

omg, that and Dani California. SO MANY PEOPLE SINGING DANI CALIFORNIA. Sunday morning there were three people singing it together and I swear each of them was in a different key, and I couldn't move away because I was in the chair monitoring that end of the room :x

Gangnam Styllleeeeeeee

2012 Plans:
Tommy Wiseau

rachelroseanne

Postby rachelroseanne » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I ran into this girl who is in all aspects a terrible and mean person, and I just ignored her because we don't like each other
But because she loves to be mean, she came up to me and gnawed on a hot dog while repeatedly saying "hi rachel, hi rachel"

And because I wanted no part of this, I had to walk away from a conversation I was having with an old friend. I felt bad, and I was also pretty upset at this girl for needing to make my life a little worse every chance she gets. She's also in her 20's
So that was pretty immature of her

But yeah, I just walked away and spent the rest of the con enjoying myself. :kirby:

The_Original_UberCuber

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 pm

There was the moment where Mario Party was in line and we were being noisy - so noisy that we were all wondering when it was going to be kicked out

2012 Plans:
Tommy Wiseau

morning-glories
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby morning-glories » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Well, a lot of people asked me for hugs because they were big Vocaloid fans (I was Luka), which I was completely fine with and really appreciated for the most part...
except it means that I got a few... smelly creepy hugs...
Coulda been worse though!

xerodok
First Anime: Ramana 1/2

Postby xerodok » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Pretty sure every Homestuck cosplayer could be considered a con horror story.
2011 Youmacon
FFXII - Balthier
2012 Youmacon
Legend of Zelda Four Swords
FFXIAH- Genjo @ Phoenix

herenity86
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby herenity86 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm

The Cat wrote:Here's something scary. Waiting in line for three and a half hours just to get my badge even though we preordered it a while ago. That's ridiculous, isn't it?

And I'm sure a lot of people hated the line for pre-registered badges this year.

*nods* that is my horror story, that and a friend following me around all day long like a lost puppy @_@.... He didn't pre-reg his badge, yet he got his within minutes, and waited in line with us for nearly four hours... Who the hell does that? If I had my badge I'd be walking around with my boyfriend.

DGStudios
Fan Art Theater ADH Audio

Postby DGStudios » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Kev3136 wrote:I got locked in the bathroom in my hotel room because the door handle broke. Luckily fellow staff members were in the room and we were able to call the hotel to come up and save me from the hostile bathroom.

All this and more. Video at 11 on 60 minutes!

Wrapped in my protective wings, forever will you be safe.

Shiroiyuki
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust

Postby Shiroiyuki » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Sub Zippo wrote:Horror may be an exaggeration, but after getting someone very generous and talented to make me my best cosplay ever, after a year of anticipation, and after last year's photoshoot getting about 40 people, the schedule was botched and the Sailor Moon photoshoot had a turn out of about seven people.

Yeah? That sucks. I have something similiar to share *sigh*.

I spent a MASSIVE AMOUNT OF TIME on my Black Butler Ciel (pink dress from ep. 4) cosplay, we are talking epic time here and a lot of money, etc., and was completely DENIED entrance into the Hall Cosplay Contest (as in, couldn't even fill out the form V_V. I had staff pull it out of my hand!) on Friday because staff members said that I had to be present on Satuday to participate.

O_O

All that time. All that money. All the stress to finish in time between my full-time job and regular life activities...not to mention all the possible issues I may have encountered just finding somewhere to change into my costume, as I came all the way down from Muskegon area (3+ hours away) for the day (ended up changing in the parking garage (lol, no shame) and could have totally been seen or busted >_<, but I did it for you, Youmacon!), just to be let down completely. That, that is my horror story.

Oh, and the nightmare continues -- I found out from a member of staff yesterday on these forums that this information was incorrect and I COULD HAVE ENTERED AFTER ALL. Now I'll never know if I would have had a chance at winning or not. I know that I completely wasted my time on this costume, that's for sure. AND it looks like no one even got my picture so I can't even have that momento to cling onto *cries*.

I am forever unhappy about this injustice *sigh*.

DeltaSierra4
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: lol

Postby DeltaSierra4 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Not a horror story but a few things I got annoyed with...

My flight got delayed, and my months of prep for my costume went to waste when I missed my Touhou photoshoot. Worse, I missed the mahjong game I wanted to participate in with the Chicago Anime Mahjong Players as well as a few from the Touhou cosplay. Plus, one of my friends missed his flight to the con and never showed up.

tl;dr - my first day had a rocky start... (until after I met up with the Touhou cosplayers! Thanx for making my day gaiz)

Envisioner wrote:this wasn't me but there was a guy that was in a wheelchair that he needed. and had to have an elevator called up for him because none was nice enough to let him take there spot. it wasn't a nice thing to see seeing it wasn't a prop and such, like some cosplays that were seen this year that used them as props.

Hey I think I met you in the elevator at one point, if I'm correct (or maybe it wasn't you lol)... You were getting off the fifth floor and telling us that people weren't letting this wheelchair person on the elevator. Yes I agree that wasn't nice at all. I mean, that guy came to the con despite such handicap to enjoy, only to see everyone not giving him a helping hand when he needed it...
There were several other people on wheelchairs I met at the con. When I saw some of them at the elevators, I would simply step back to let the person in first, only to see all others just crowding in the elevator even before the person can make it in. In the end, managed to hold down an elevator to let the person in.
Behind each smile... is ten thousand sorrows

WynterWillow
Fan Art Theater General Staff
First Anime: Cardcaptor Sakura

Postby WynterWillow » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 pm

My feet were swollen for almost the entire weekend, though a lot of that's my own fault with this being my first con and not knowing how much standing and walking I'd be doing. The BK staff was quite rude, though they were probably super overwhelmed with the amount of people they had to serve. Also, there was this rude lumpy space princess that just kept glaring at my lsp cosplay every time I saw her. I was going to say hi and stuff because she had a really awesome lsp cosplay but every time I tried she walked away from me. Also, the cartoon network shoot was scheduled and a lot of us showed up but no one ever showed up with a camera.

The only really horrible thing that happened was on the ride home from the con the tread on one of our tires completely shredded while we were on a high way and we almost got hit by a semi. We ended up sitting in the van in a shifty neighborhood for 4 hours trying to figure out what to do. In the end some one from back home got us a couple hotel rooms for the night and we were able to get the van fixed and back on the road by 11 the next morning.
2013 Cosplays
Olivia Kirkland (2p! Rule 63! England [Hetalia])
Maddie Williams (Fem! Canada [Hetalia])

Return to “2012 Memories”