Con Horror Stories

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eighth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Zimadonna
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Re: Con Horror Stories

Postby Zimadonna » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Wow, what's up with the increasing amount of rude men hitting on women who clearly don't won't reciprocate, or guys who brazenly hit on girls who clearly have boyfriends? :/ I kept hearing these things where arrogant assholes would insult the girl's boyfriend infront of him

I too had people hit on my right infront of my boyfriend, but I just politely brushed them off. I think the best way is to say "I'm taken." and walk away. And if they harass you to say they're better than whoever you're with, threaten violence. I'm sorry, I know it's hard but half the time these idiots are drunk and are thinking selfishly.

Craig Bayfield
First Anime: Ah! My Goddess

Postby Craig Bayfield » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 pm

It's not just one way, though. I had an old friend flirting with me in the presence of the person she had sparked things off with that very weekend. It's her nature (and her multi-year relationship is breaking apart so she has a way of seeking attention/affection from any source). I was used to it from the past and letting it slide off in a very practiced manner of being kind without reciprocating... but during all of this I was getting some really dirty looks from the guy she was with. I will assume the two of them got together during the weekend.

I felt pretty uncomfortable because I couldn't flee from the situation without offending a friend and I couldn't very well let her flirt aggressively with me when her lines are "How's your marriage?" and "Me and [boyfriend of 4 years] I have been having some really hard times lately... I don't think we're going to last much longer."

Fortunately for all parties the guy she was with spotted a friend and took her off to speak with him.

*Shudder*

I kind of don't know what to do in those situations. I don't get flirted with... like. Ever... and ---well--- I didn't even know what to do. Can you imagine how uncomfortable it is to be dragged in to a situation like that?

Fortunately it was only 4 minutes of the weekend and all parties can just walk on and forget about it. Friendships and relationships intact.

I told my wife the moment I reconnected with her and she laughed at me. She's evil like that.

akiozoro

Postby akiozoro » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 pm

Moriko Suzuki wrote:
akiozoro wrote:It's not so much a horror story, but guys hitting on my girlfriend while I was right next to her. Wasn't so much an issue for me but it made her really uncomfortable. Hell, even one of the dealers tried to hit on her and insult me while we were there - it was pretty nuts.

I dunno why they feel the need to do that. What exactly do they expect is going to happen...?

Oh gosh, I have a similar story. It's not horrifying or anything like that...

But one of the dealers was trying to sell me some shirts. I was in my Fem!America cosplay, so he was showing me some Hetalia shirts. My boyfriend was right next to me because he was buying me the shirts as a present. Once I had chosen what I wanted, the guy started talking about body painting. He pulls out his phone and starts showing me all these designs he painted on only girls. Sure it was pretty and all, but the places he painted were strictly on inappropriate places. It was obvious to me that he wanted to paint me due to the fact of what I was wearing. I knew I would get a few weirdos talking to me because my cosplay was revealing, but that's nothing new to me...

Anyways, I was looking over at my boyfriend because I could tell he knew this guy's intentions. I kindly declined, but he continued to try to convince me. Finally he left me alone, so I left with my shirts...

Was that shirt vendor the one that was all the way to the end towards the back near the Artist's Alley? Because if so, it was probably the same guy that was doing it to us.

Xenes
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby Xenes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:08 am

Kind of reminds me when I tell my friends that a certain girl has a bf so I shouldn't be trying to mess with them and they always say so?

But anyways, On Friday at the rave there was a light that fell from the ceiling near me and 2 of my new con friends. Kind of startled us. Though we kept dancing near the area while keeping an eye on the ceiling. It was really bumping in there.

kungfood
First Anime: Macross

Postby kungfood » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:21 am

On Saturday night around 11pm, my buddy and I were on the people mover going back to the Ren-Center when suddenly everyone was forced off the tram at a random spot in the worst part of Detroit to shut the train down for the night. It almost turned into Left4Dead: Detroit Edition.. luckily some of us were able to cram into the next train that went by..

Moriko Suzuki

Postby Moriko Suzuki » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 am

akiozoro wrote:
Was that shirt vendor the one that was all the way to the end towards the back near the Artist's Alley? Because if so, it was probably the same guy that was doing it to us.

Yes it was actually. And I had assumed it was the same guy because all the other vendors I have spoken to were respectful and kind people...
2013 Cosplays:
Asuna - Sword Art Online
Nyotalia America - Hetalia
Sasha Braus - Attack On Titan

PiercetheHeavens
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Postby PiercetheHeavens » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 am

Omg, that shirt vendor did that to me too! Told me that he wanted to draw some flames on a Yoko cosplayer and that I should direct one over to him, then wanted to draw Kamina tattoos on me. I didn't take it as creepy at first but after hearing this....noooowww I understand.
Kamina cosplayer, driller of heavens, puncher of unpunchables.

Craig Bayfield
First Anime: Ah! My Goddess

Postby Craig Bayfield » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 am

Urgh. Sorry to hear that there was such a creep working the hall. Any idea what company/studio he represented?

Digipup
First Anime: Kingdom Hearts

Postby Digipup » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 am

rachelroseanne wrote:I ran into this girl who is in all aspects a terrible and mean person, and I just ignored her because we don't like each other
But because she loves to be mean, she came up to me and gnawed on a hot dog while repeatedly saying "hi rachel, hi rachel"

... Man, you're patient.... I would have said 'go away' and threatened to slap her if she didn't. XD
Youmacon 2011 - Suigintou (Rozen Maiden) Saturday
Youmacon 2012 - Nothing :c
Youmacon 2013 - Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario+Vampire) Friday/Saturday
Youmacon 2014 - Elsa (Frozen) Friday/Saturday

If you have any photos of me, do share!

rajamitsu
First Anime: Slayers

Postby rajamitsu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:13 pm

NelxNny wrote:I got so nervous I forgot my lyrics and cried on stage during a singing contest
and I got sexually harassed by an Urahara cosplayer Saturday night ._.

I was one of the judges and I really wanted to find you and give you a hug during the break. :( You had a great start and I'd love to see you go for it again next year.

akiozoro

Postby akiozoro » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Craig Bayfield wrote:Urgh. Sorry to hear that there was such a creep working the hall. Any idea what company/studio he represented?

I just checked the map in the program, and if I'm looking at the right spot it was the "Yes Anime/Deleter USA" booth.

aakahasha
First Anime: Fushigi Yuugi

Postby aakahasha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 pm

[color=#008040]Getting to and from the Cobo Center!

On the People Mover we had a group of guys get on and it was like Christmas had come for them in some weird way. They began to jump around the train excitedly and yelled like they expected us to just all start partying because we were in costumes. One sat next to me and began hitting on me which in no way was ok because he started to mess with my clothes and badge. Not to mention him and his other friends started messing with other's props for their cosplays. I all but bolted off that train just to get away from these creeps.

Walking to and from the Cobo. I heard a lot of problems with this from pissed off drivers, the homeless, and people being mugged. I had someone almost hit me because he got sick and tired of waiting for people to cross and he wanted to push his way through. Then walking back on Sunday there was a group of guys standing around and watching everyone go by. It wasn't just "watching" as we all would like, oh I want to look at their outfits or I'm just passing the time waiting for a bus or something. That is the situation where one sees something valuable on a person and begins to follow and their friends take note and help rob someone, isn't the first time I've seen it and to be frank I'm glad I wasn't the target. RenCen I know inside has their security system down and it works when you need it. I saw a single cop car the entire weekend at the Cobo for security...If you needed help between those buildings, you were on your own.

Anyone else think there should be some type of Security on the trains or along the pathway to the Cobo? I hope Youmacon/Cobo/RenCen would care enough about their guests to take one step more to ensure our safety? Sure, going in groups means numbers...but if that group is a group of young girls I don't care if I know them or not, I want to know every single Otaku is safe and can feel safe. Youmacon is in no way cheep and if we spend/carry this money back and forth between these centers; I know I don't want to get mugged or anyone else. I heard a few mugging stories, one girl was even with a group of guys and some man came up and tried to snatch her purse. Detroit isn't a safe place even in the middle of the day, and we no longer can just stay at one building with our size so now we might need a few extra measures to try and avoid someone getting mugged, hurt, or even killed if they fought back. (The last I know is a bit of an extreme, but it is Detroit and sadly this is the world we live in)
[/color]

shamrock2lilly
First Anime: Sailor moon/ Dragon Ball

Postby shamrock2lilly » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Zimadonna wrote:Wow, what's up with the increasing amount of rude men hitting on women who clearly don't won't reciprocate, or guys who brazenly hit on girls who clearly have boyfriends? :/ I kept hearing these things where arrogant assholes would insult the girl's boyfriend infront of him

I too had people hit on my right infront of my boyfriend, but I just politely brushed them off. I think the best way is to say "I'm taken." and walk away. And if they harass you to say they're better than whoever you're with, threaten violence. I'm sorry, I know it's hard but half the time these idiots are drunk and are thinking selfishly.

Please don't "threaten violence" if they can't take hint try to remove yourself from the situation. I know it is hard in the crowded space but do your best to just turn and leave. If you must find security and have them deal with it that is what they are there for. The big guys in uniform are PAID to deal with the drunken and abusive individuals.

A word to the gentlemen who are being ignore by the lovely women you are persuing, you might want to change your approach. You are coming off as creepy not cool. You want to be cool say something nice and then take a hike. More of our girls were flattered and crushing on guys who stayed the misterious nice guy than the one who hounded them for half an hour til they got lost. It will work to your benefit later down the road and security won't have to remove you from the fun you were having.

FrenziedMuffin
First Anime: Ghost in the Shell

Postby FrenziedMuffin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Walking with friend... turn around... HE's GONE! :shock:

In all seriousness. Girlfriend got poop on her Sailor Jupiter gloves. Don't ask.

rubekk
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew

Postby rubekk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 pm

While waiting for the People-Mover to go and get my badge, a girl snuck up behind me and hugged me. It was TERRIFYING.
Okay, I'm kind of over exaggerating, but it was seriously REALLY scary o___o

Return to “2012 Memories”