Con Horror Stories

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eighth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Dagon Akujin
Security Staff
First Anime: Fist of the North Star
Location: Detroit Kung Fu Academy of Southfield-- 10 1/2 and Greenfield

Re: Con Horror Stories

Postby Dagon Akujin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 am

bankai_shinigami wrote:We are walking around the conspace when a security guy comes up and demands that I put a shirt on, saying that being shirtless was illegal.

Security guy grabs me by the arms and yanks me away from the stairs saying "You don't need to be in there". I told him that I was headed up to floor 20 to get a bag that a friend had let us keep in his room for the day and that my fiance is anemic so she <b>needs</b> her jacket, he still refused saying "You aren't a guest at this hotel, you aren't allowed on the stairs". (This was resolved with a Detroit cop who happened to be on floor 5 at the time.)

Again, several members of the RenCen security told me that I "wasn't allowed" to be wearing that cosplay, on of them even going as far as waving a pair of handcuffs at me and another doing the "angry walk" after me and a friend.

First off, I'm really hoping this is all hotel security and never Youmacon Security (and seriously, if anyone has had any problems with Youmacon Security please send me a PM and let me know). Secondly, he grabbed you? That was highly, highly inappropriate of him. Nobody should be touching you like that unless they HAVE to, and going into the stairs is not some emergency that needs to be stopped that way.

bankai_shinigami wrote:
Craig Bayfield wrote:Apparently in Detroit it is very illegal for men or women to go around shirtless. Unfair, yes, but it is the law of the land.

The problem there is that Detroit Police even saw me in this cosplay and said nothing about it.

Detroit cops know that there are more important things. Plus, I probably saw 20 guys with their shirts off during the con. I really don't understand why you were singled out.

aakahasha wrote:

Anyone else think there should be some type of Security on the trains or along the pathway to the Cobo? I hope Youmacon/Cobo/RenCen would care enough about their guests to take one step more to ensure our safety? Sure, going in groups means numbers...but if that group is a group of young girls I don't care if I know them or not, I want to know every single Otaku is safe and can feel safe. Youmacon is in no way cheep and if we spend/carry this money back and forth between these centers; I know I don't want to get mugged or anyone else. I heard a few mugging stories, one girl was even with a group of guys and some man came up and tried to snatch her purse. Detroit isn't a safe place even in the middle of the day, and we no longer can just stay at one building with our size so now we might need a few extra measures to try and avoid someone getting mugged, hurt, or even killed if they fought back. (The last I know is a bit of an extreme, but it is Detroit and sadly this is the world we live in)

Detroit Police promised, promised us that they would have constant patrols in Hart Plaza and around the People Mover. I'm very sad that this wasn't even close to the case.
Dagon "the security guy" Akujin
http://www.facebook.com/dagonakujin
Instructor at the Detroit Kung Fu Academy: Southfield Branch
http://www.KungFuDetroit.com

blkmagick

Postby blkmagick » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 am

FrenziedMuffin wrote:Walking with friend... turn around... HE's GONE! :shock:

In all seriousness. Girlfriend got poop on her Sailor Jupiter gloves. Don't ask.

Mario Party? If so, I read that in their thread and ughhhh. So gross.

Youmacon 2013 costumes:
Thursday: Fionna- Adventure Time
Friday: B.B. Hood - Darkstalkers
Saturday: Fire - Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Rave: Rave Megurine Luka
Sunday: Fionna

fujimorisunao
First Anime: Pokemon, Gundam Wing, CC Sakura, Sailor Moon

Postby fujimorisunao » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 am

The guy I'm sorta in love with got engaged on saturday night. I freaked the hell out, especially considering he said they were breaking up the week prior, and that we've been having sex since the new year. I had a couple of newly made friends that kinda helped me through the first minutes, but I kept texting back my disbelief and devastation. He said I should have just been happy for him, which is kinda true, and I sorta am, now. But I don't really think he'd be treated right honestly and yea, I was empty. So after a little while, he unfriended me on fb and the whole schpeel. Anyway, my friends wanted to sleep and I went down to the patio and sat on the very ledge and looked at his fb pics (his photos arent private for some reason) and cut myself a little and smoked like 15 cigarettes before someone noticed me from the sidewalk below and I left cuz I was scared of security coming. Went back to my room and cried more until my roommate told me to STFU. So yea, that sucked. And now I have a cold *sniffle*

ladysphinx07
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby ladysphinx07 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:23 am

It's not as horrific as some of the things I read, but on Saturday when my cosplayer comrade and I were loitering in one of the areas overlooking the Wintergarden, we had a guy with a lot of facepaint and nerf gun come up to us twice. The first time he complimented our costumes and said some incoherent things I can't recall and then wandered off. He came back a little while later and more compliments and asked for a picture which we obliged. Then he wrapped us up in his arms and proceeded to give her a kiss on her cheek. I get wide eyed and shocked and then he kissed me on my head. Then he wandered off. Never to be seen again.... After he left I said "****, did he just smear his facepaint on my wig?!" to which my friends assured me my head was paint free. Until I got back up to the room and looked in a mirror. I had red and white splotches right on the top and when I tried to gingerly wash them out so as not to ruin the styling, it wouldn't really come off. Lesson learned: be more assertive and don't let anyone get away with any form of harassment, whether it was intentional or not. >___>

pnkfld7892
First Anime: Dragonball/Dragonball Z

Postby pnkfld7892 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:31 pm

The only bad thing that happened during my con experience was this kid that was highly rude to my girlfriend and i in cobo.

My girlfriend and I were cosplaying as the Riddler and Harley Quinn from Arkham City and this kid(looked to be about 13-15) was sitting in a line in cobo and out of the blue says "the Riddler and Harley Quinn? That's a crap combination if I've ever seen one." I mean who the hell says that to people who took time and put in a lot of effort into costumes?

My girlfriend and I just chalked it up to him being jealous of us. XD
2013 Cosplays
Warhammer 40k Techpriest
Riddler
Possible Splicer cosplay from Shuto

bankai_shinigami
First Anime: Gundam WING

Postby bankai_shinigami » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Dagon Akujin wrote:
bankai_shinigami wrote:We are walking around the conspace when a security guy comes up and demands that I put a shirt on, saying that being shirtless was illegal.

Security guy grabs me by the arms and yanks me away from the stairs saying "You don't need to be in there". I told him that I was headed up to floor 20 to get a bag that a friend had let us keep in his room for the day and that my fiance is anemic so she <b>needs</b> her jacket, he still refused saying "You aren't a guest at this hotel, you aren't allowed on the stairs". (This was resolved with a Detroit cop who happened to be on floor 5 at the time.)

Again, several members of the RenCen security told me that I "wasn't allowed" to be wearing that cosplay, on of them even going as far as waving a pair of handcuffs at me and another doing the "angry walk" after me and a friend.

First off, I'm really hoping this is all hotel security and never Youmacon Security (and seriously, if anyone has had any problems with Youmacon Security please send me a PM and let me know). Secondly, he grabbed you? That was highly, highly inappropriate of him. Nobody should be touching you like that unless they HAVE to, and going into the stairs is not some emergency that needs to be stopped that way.

bankai_shinigami wrote:
Craig Bayfield wrote:Apparently in Detroit it is very illegal for men or women to go around shirtless. Unfair, yes, but it is the law of the land.

The problem there is that Detroit Police even saw me in this cosplay and said nothing about it.

Detroit cops know that there are more important things. Plus, I probably saw 20 guys with their shirts off during the con. I really don't understand why you were singled out.

1) This was hotel/RenCen security that did it. I've since filed a complaint with the RenCen. Still waiting on a response. I've never really had a run in with Youmacon Security other than one asking me (Very politely) to step back against the wall while in the reg line.
2) I'm glad to see that this is actually not against the rules at Youmacon.
"Look Mr. Bubbles. It's an angel. I can see light coming from his belly. Oh wait. He's still breathing. But don't worry. He;ll be an angel soon."

"16th MS Team: Striving Towards A Better Battlefield."

KawaiiDesuSunshine
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby KawaiiDesuSunshine » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:48 pm

My sisters drunk bf peed on my bed wile Iwas sleeping ino it. i was so mad I FREAKED OUT

Rukeya
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Rukeya » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 am

Not so much a horror story, but a weird and somewhat embarassing event.

Some guy stopped me while I was on my way to my hotel room and complimented my costume, asking who I was cosplaying as and what series it was from. I answered, thanked him and as I turned to leave, the woman with him moved in front of me and randomly says, "SORRY, but I've never heard of you, so we will NOT be taking your picture."

The comment was completely unnecessary. I just smiled politely and left.

CrossedCrowns
First Anime: Hetalia

Postby CrossedCrowns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Not really too much of a horror story, but this made me a little upset.

I was cosplaying Belarus on Saturday. Now, I'm a really shy person, and Belarus really really shouldn't be a character I'm cosplaying. Because I'm too shy to run up to people and chase them and whatnot.

Anyways, I would instead politely walk up to the Russia cosplayers, make sure they saw me, and go 'Oh, big brother! Can I have a hug?"

It worked out nicely for a while. But then I met this one Russia cosplayer that just glared at me and was like 'No, I hate Belarus cosplayers. Buzz off.' ;A;

KnuxieChan
First Anime: Sherlock Hound

Postby KnuxieChan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:22 am

Moriko Suzuki wrote:
Oh gosh, I have a similar story. It's not horrifying or anything like that...

But one of the dealers was trying to sell me some shirts. I was in my Fem!America cosplay, so he was showing me some Hetalia shirts. My boyfriend was right next to me because he was buying me the shirts as a present. Once I had chosen what I wanted, the guy started talking about body painting. He pulls out his phone and starts showing me all these designs he painted on only girls. Sure it was pretty and all, but the places he painted were strictly on inappropriate places. It was obvious to me that he wanted to paint me due to the fact of what I was wearing. I knew I would get a few weirdos talking to me because my cosplay was revealing, but that's nothing new to me...

Anyways, I was looking over at my boyfriend because I could tell he knew this guy's intentions. I kindly declined, but he continued to try to convince me. Finally he left me alone, so I left with my shirts...

I, too, ran into this guy. I was dressed as Papillon from Busou Renkin so I showed a bit of skin but it's a guy character. He didn't care. I had the TornadoCon!Doctor, her friend, and our friend Zak with me. Guess who he creeped out to? The other girl and myself. He insulted Zak's cosplay then took a photo of me and the girl, then showed us the tattoos, offering to do that for us. I was like "uh, it'll mess with my cosplays." I was thinking to myself "really. from the clevage? you're a friggin' creeper."

I remember specifically where his table was too. He was the last table on the far right, right before the AA tables started.

I feel kinda violated by having him take my photo since it's pretty **** obvious what he's gonna do with them. >_<
[Youmacon 2013 Cosplay]
Joltik Hoodie (Pokémon)
Marik Ishtar (YGO Abridged)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)

LittlestReaper
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby LittlestReaper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 am

My horror story?

More like, "Make the witch cry for real" story.

So I was walking to the people mover with my fiance, who was dressed as Salem from Army of TWO, and I'll admit, I'm decently small, with a small tummy. My shorts were sitting awkwardly so it was showing my tummy and I heard a girl say, "Ew, she's fat." I actually turned around and looked at her like, what the hell? And she was looking RIGHT AT ME. My fiance stopped and she suddenly had this look at him like, oh, hey, call me. I guess I turned red because he asked me what was wrong, and when I didn't answer, he just carried me away. That kinda killed my self esteem, especially because I spent so long with the make up and the claws and such.

Also, on Friday, it was my Birthday. <3 And I was alone because all the people I was with were hung over or sleeping, so I was walking around alone, and I was so happy with how nice people were being with my fionna costume, but then I saw someone I didn't want to see, who pestered me and saw my engagement ring and was just generally nasty about it -.-U

Other than that, I had a great con. 8D

jessibren
First Anime: sailor moon

Postby jessibren » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 am

well a few things upset me a bit
1) i had booked a double standard room months in advance but ended up with a king when i called down they said they had run out of doubles i was like wtf man shouldn't you guys be paying more attention to the rooms you had available. truthfully i did get there rather late but still...

2) one of my roommates who kinda kept bugging me all of thursday (for me to get to the con already even though i had to take a greyhound and something about the wristbands) she just wouldnt stop. then i think this was saturday her friend who was suppose to be coming that day and was also suppose to be sharing the room with us shows up and is all like yo i can't stay and were backing out last minute so i'm not paying my share then they both leave. i wouldn't have even found out they were doing this had i not randomly waked into the room as they were getting ready to leave. i was trying to be nice about it as they were leaving but afterward i really wanted to slap that *****.

theunknown14
First Anime: Gundam

Postby theunknown14 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:50 am

The hotel charged me 150 extra because they said one of the guests in my room did not check out. It was a bogus charge and i had to call the hotel 6 times and talk to 6 different people to get my money back. The whole hotel experience was not good and if i do ever come back i will not be staying there.

RichardZuk
First Anime: Cowboy Bebop

Postby RichardZuk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 pm

The only part of the con that was truly horrible for me (which wasn't actually a part of the con) was when my girlfriend and I waited in line for twenty minutes for our wristbands in the hotel lobby only to get up to the desk, she gets hers and they tell me that I have already received mine. Quite a feat considering I just drove a car for the last three hours from Grand Rapids in order to get there in the first place. :? The nice lady at the desk asked what I can only assume is her superior what she should do and the only reply she got was: "Everyone only gets one wristband" To which I reply: "Well, ma'am, I never got mine, here is my driver's license to prove I'm who I say I am, we just got here." only I got to about the license part before the woman just turned her back and walked away from me in the middle of a sentence. At this point my girlfriend notices I'm about to lose my temper and start screaming so she quickly jumps in and convinces the nice lady there was a mistake and she decides to just give me a wristband, especially considering I had a photo ID and everything proving I was who I claimed to be.

Appart form that though, it was a great con. :D

cactusmomma
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: Speed Racer

Postby cactusmomma » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:15 pm

Horror story? The hotel shift manager, Mrs. Hughes. Yes, she pissed me off and my tone with her was -quite- bitter.. her customer service skills and tone were intensely appalling. Exchange went like-a so:
*Checking in* Could we please get the lowest floor?
Hughes & desk lady: We have one on floor 19.
Is there anything lower? I'm disabled. *Shows cane*
Hughes & desk lady: That's the lowest we have, we need the names of everyone in the room and hold out your wrists.
*Get into argument about how we had 5 people for our staff room since one of the people has severe social anxiety and can't be in with a room of people she didn't know* (For the record, the Marriott booking site has a choice to fit 6 people in one room.) Ended up having to move one of the people in our room to another room...who checked in 20 minutes after we did and got on floor 10. Suspicious? With the wristbands, I told her that they would -not- go over well, since people go up to the rooms to finish their costumes and visit their friends. In the woman's condescending tone, she told us -very- flatly: Rooms are for sleeping.

So later, I called the hotel manager to see if we could get the room changed due to my staffing room being at the top of the tower. He claimed his manager didn't lie when they told me 19 was the lowest floor, when another group of my own staffers picked up a room on 10 not even half and hour later.. He was also entirely insensitive to the disability issue.. His words: "I don't see how it will make a difference if you're on 19 or 10. You're only going down a couple more floors in an elevator." Here I am, thinking 'does this guy -really- know the nature of our convention? Is he new? Does he know how -long- it takes to get through the floors? I didn't have the 10-30 minutes to spare going from floor 19 to either 40 or floor 3 (Either going up 21 floors or down 16 floors..) just to get onto another elevator to go up to the top of the tower? Given the nature of our department, time is of the essence, especially with having no choice but to hobble around with a cane.. Thankfully, one of our other ADH's and I ran into the HR manager (Her name is Kim.) on one of the elevators.. she was the most empathetic and amazing woman, bless her heart. She saw how tired we were from trying to play elevator Frogger and immediately went to get us to a different room on floor 66.

I've also heard the horror stories of people in wheelchairs who ended up waiting in excess of 45 minutes for someone to come and unlock floors 4-5 to get them to floors 1 and 3 or elsewhere. Many of them had to be pushed up and down escalators, which is illegally dangerous! Didn't help that we saw quite a few of the 'up' escalators turned off over the weekend.

tl;dr: Customer service at the Marriott was rarer than a Cubs pennant win and so many ADA Compliance rules were broken by the hotel's staff. I'm -definitely- sending my own letter to corporate about this. If any other people had issues with how they or their disabled friends/family were treated, please send me a pm and I'll include it in the letter.
Last edited by cactusmomma on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest updates and random con shenaniganry: http://beegobuzz.tumblr.com

Return to “2012 Memories”