Con Horror Stories

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eighth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

bankai_shinigami
First Anime: Gundam WING

Re: Con Horror Stories

Postby bankai_shinigami » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Mine weren't so much with convention issues as issues between hotel/rencen security and the con-goers. One of my friends let my fiance and I store a bag in his room at the rencen so that we weren't carrying it around all day. In this bag was her jacket. (He was in room 2005 in the RenCen). Nothing wrong there, right? Well, after dropping off the bag, we all headed back down into the convention area. I was cosplaying as Tidus from the Amano Blitzball artwork (also his default for Dissidia Duodecim), which meant I was shirtless. We are walking around the conspace when a security guy comes up and demands that I put a shirt on, saying that being shirtless was illegal. So we turn around and walk away. Later in the day, I had headed back to our room (4 blocks away) to change into my Dead Space cosplay. She stayed at the RenCen.

When we went to leave at around 11PM, I went and headed to the stairs to hike up to floor 20 to get the bag. Security guy grabs me by the arms and yanks me away from the stairs saying "You don't need to be in there". I told him that I was headed up to floor 20 to get a bag that a friend had let us keep in his room for the day and that my fiance is anemic so she <b>needs</b> her jacket, he still refused saying "You aren't a guest at this hotel, you aren't allowed on the stairs". (This was resolved with a Detroit cop who happened to be on floor 5 at the time.)

After that, I spent Saturday limping and hobbling around the con even during Whose Line Is It Anyway. Sunday, I was feeling better and went as Tidus once more, having acquired an infinitely better wig for the cosplay. in Dealers. Again, several members of the RenCen security told me that I "wasn't allowed" to be wearing that cosplay, on of them even going as far as waving a pair of handcuffs at me and another doing the "angry walk" after me and a friend.

This wouldn't have been such an issue if they were doing this to every other shirtless cosplayer, but I didn't see them doing that at all. Instead, they severed to not only come off as extremely rude, but also it seemed like harassment to me. I spent time working on this cosplay, and I wasn't about to not show it off.

While I understand that they have the right to arrest you if you are breaking the law, I was not running around shoeless, and was well within the rules of the convention. Also, I was unaware that it was illegal for men to be shirtless in public. Anybody else have this happen? Because these people just ruined my entire weekend for me.
"Look Mr. Bubbles. It's an angel. I can see light coming from his belly. Oh wait. He's still breathing. But don't worry. He;ll be an angel soon."

"16th MS Team: Striving Towards A Better Battlefield."

Craig Bayfield
First Anime: Ah! My Goddess

Postby Craig Bayfield » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I discovered the illegality of shirtlessness during the 2010 convention. Apparently in Detroit it is very illegal for men or women to go around shirtless. Unfair, yes, but it is the law of the land. What I did was carried a flesh colored tunic with me and remove it for photoshoots. Sadly this is about all we can do for it.

The security problems, though. That is unforgivable.

bankai_shinigami

Postby bankai_shinigami » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Craig Bayfield wrote:Apparently in Detroit it is very illegal for men or women to go around shirtless. Unfair, yes, but it is the law of the land.

The problem there is that Detroit Police even saw me in this cosplay and said nothing about it. Here is a photo for reference: Image

I later (As I said) did this with the wig on.
"Look Mr. Bubbles. It's an angel. I can see light coming from his belly. Oh wait. He's still breathing. But don't worry. He;ll be an angel soon."

muuwiko
First Anime: Sailor Moon, Inuyasha

Postby muuwiko » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 pm

My Con HORROR Story:

Youmacon was really fun, but it did have its scary parts!
Friday I ran into a guy that used to really like me, but I had to turn him down Dx he was one of my cousin's crush's friends..that her and I happened to run into at the con.
Saturday night at the rave was freaky!
At the rave I had to dance by myself because my cousin was too tired and my sister and her boyfriend were hula hooping on the side. So I was pretty much forced to dance by myself. Creepy guys, who didn't even look like they were into the anime scene kept coming up to me and trying to dance with me...They didn't even come up to my face and ask, instead, they grabbed me by the waist and started trying to grind on me..(ewwww!! xP)
Then a light bulb from the ceiling fell on my arm. It startled me, but I shook it off and kept dancing...which I don't know why I did because the creepy guys kept bothering me. Luckily, I ran into my guy friend from one of my college classes. He had to say that him and I were together in order for them to back off -.- if it wasn't for him I would've been bugged for the rest of the night!

And that was my story xP

NelxNny
First Anime: Sailor moon!

Postby NelxNny » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:18 pm

I got so nervous I forgot my lyrics and cried on stage during a singing contest
and I got sexually harassed by an Urahara cosplayer Saturday night ._.
Derp Derp Derp

animegamer04

Postby animegamer04 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:26 pm

A few people were kinda rude, not many. Come on it's a con!! Your suppose to have fun!! Security was rude this time too. I blame the few con goers that were rude to people truthfully. I did come across a little unexpected thing when I joined the crowd. I ended up flooded by a bunch of girls nearly knocking me down hugging me. I never felt so confused in my life lol. I then end up bumped into by plenty of rude people that were walking "hey someone is in costume and possibly can't see!! Let's crash into them!!". That was very rude. I then saw security heckle a shirtless dude I tried finding the offices to report them but got lost. There was mutiple things that felt plain rude!! Especially the idiot that thinks hitting people in the head is awesome!! It's one thing to play around and another to try and physically assault someone. If peoole are goofing around and playfully doing it, that's different!! There was far less idiots this year though. The con was enjoyable overall. I just wish people would pay attention to what they are doing as well. I do know why the wristbands happened. One rude elevator people, two a few rooms had 16 to a room, three someone put their head through a wall drunkily having a room party on my floor last year. I'm pretty sure it was why things got strict. It was also to reduce lines for the elevators. I found the lack of sign directions to be annoying too. Cobo was a nightmare to get back. I hope it's a bit better next year.

bankai_shinigami

Postby bankai_shinigami » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 pm

animegamer04 wrote:A few people were kinda rude, not many. Come on it's a con!! Your suppose to have fun!! Security was rude this time too. I blame the few con goers that were rude to people truthfully. I did come across a little unexpected thing when I joined the crowd. I ended up flooded by a bunch of girls nearly knocking me down hugging me. I never felt so confused in my life lol. I then end up bumped into by plenty of rude people that were walking "hey someone is in costume and possibly can't see!! Let's crash into them!!". That was very rude. I then saw security heckle a shirtless dude I tried finding the offices to report them but got lost. There was mutiple things that felt plain rude!!

Security heckling a shirtless guy? When and where was this? It may have been me that you saw being heckled!

akiozoro
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby akiozoro » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 pm

It's not so much a horror story, but guys hitting on my girlfriend while I was right next to her. Wasn't so much an issue for me but it made her really uncomfortable. Hell, even one of the dealers tried to hit on her and insult me while we were there - it was pretty nuts.

I dunno why they feel the need to do that. What exactly do they expect is going to happen...?

Em0XAlucard
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Em0XAlucard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 pm

AKADave wrote:
bowies in space wrote:Ran into someone you didn't want to see?

^ Mostly just this. A friend and i were waiting in line for our badges and I saw someone that I wouldn't exactly care to see in this point in time. She saw us, walked up to us, called us assholes, and then left...

Not much of a horror story but it wasn't like I could have just avoided the situation or anything. I was in liiinnneee...which was awful >.>

That stinks Davy. I had to run into my ex 3-4 times. I caught glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye. I know I should be over it and everything... but it still hurt and was upsetting. Also, there was a group of people making fun of me when I was dressed as Alucard. Really??? Messing with someone dressed as Alucard? I originally thought they were joking around so I played along but no... they were douche bags.... and deserved what came to them.
~Fine night tonight isn't it?~

AKADave
First Anime: DBZ

Postby AKADave » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Em0XAlucard wrote:
AKADave wrote:
bowies in space wrote:Ran into someone you didn't want to see?

^ Mostly just this. A friend and i were waiting in line for our badges and I saw someone that I wouldn't exactly care to see in this point in time. She saw us, walked up to us, called us assholes, and then left...

Not much of a horror story but it wasn't like I could have just avoided the situation or anything. I was in liiinnneee...which was awful >.>

That stinks Davy. I had to run into my ex 3-4 times. I caught glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye. I know I should be over it and everything... but it still hurt and was upsetting. Also, there was a group of people making fun of me when I was dressed as Alucard. Really??? Messing with someone dressed as Alucard? I originally thought they were joking around so I played along but no... they were douche bags.... and deserved what came to them.

Sorry robby. it does suck when you run into your ex :/

...no one messes with alucard!
Click on the sig...You'll be glad you did!!!

PiercetheHeavens
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Postby PiercetheHeavens » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Em0XAlucard wrote:That stinks Davy. I had to run into my ex 3-4 times. I caught glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye. I know I should be over it and everything... but it still hurt and was upsetting. Also, there was a group of people making fun of me when I was dressed as Alucard. Really??? Messing with someone dressed as Alucard? I originally thought they were joking around so I played along but no... they were douche bags.... and deserved what came to them.

I can't believe the people that make fun of other people's cosplay at cons right there in front of them. I mean, we're all dorks in costumes, those kind of people are seriously immature. What exactly did they say? That's rotten.
Kamina cosplayer, driller of heavens, puncher of unpunchables.

Wade(Tom Cruz)Wilson
First Anime: Bobobo.....

Postby Wade(Tom Cruz)Wilson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:53 pm

akiozoro wrote:It's not so much a horror story, but guys hitting on my girlfriend while I was right next to her. Wasn't so much an issue for me but it made her really uncomfortable. Hell, even one of the dealers tried to hit on her and insult me while we were there - it was pretty nuts.

I dunno why they feel the need to do that. What exactly do they expect is going to happen...?

Oh **** was I nervous of accidentally doing this. "Is that guy next to her a friend, a boyfriend, some random con guy..."
"Concussion grenade.... ouch.... healing factor... the old pain receptors... constantly shuffling... letting me... absorb... the blast... but now...

TALKING... LIKE... SHATNER..." - Wadey

Digipup
First Anime: Kingdom Hearts

Postby Digipup » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 pm

ChaosDynasty wrote:Also, 4 people in 1 room with 1 king size bed when I made reservation for 2 = not cool.

Gah, that happened to me and my family too! >.>
Youmacon 2011 - Suigintou (Rozen Maiden) Saturday
Youmacon 2012 - Nothing :c
Youmacon 2013 - Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario+Vampire) Friday/Saturday
Youmacon 2014 - Elsa (Frozen) Friday/Saturday

If you have any photos of me, do share!

Moriko Suzuki

Postby Moriko Suzuki » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 pm

akiozoro wrote:It's not so much a horror story, but guys hitting on my girlfriend while I was right next to her. Wasn't so much an issue for me but it made her really uncomfortable. Hell, even one of the dealers tried to hit on her and insult me while we were there - it was pretty nuts.

Oh gosh, I have a similar story. It's not horrifying or anything like that...

But one of the dealers was trying to sell me some shirts. I was in my Fem!America cosplay, so he was showing me some Hetalia shirts. My boyfriend was right next to me because he was buying me the shirts as a present. Once I had chosen what I wanted, the guy started talking about body painting. He pulls out his phone and starts showing me all these designs he painted on only girls. Sure it was pretty and all, but the places he painted were strictly on inappropriate places. It was obvious to me that he wanted to paint me due to the fact of what I was wearing. I knew I would get a few weirdos talking to me because my cosplay was revealing, but that's nothing new to me...

Anyways, I was looking over at my boyfriend because I could tell he knew this guy's intentions. I kindly declined, but he continued to try to convince me. Finally he left me alone, so I left with my shirts...
2013 Cosplays:
Asuna - Sword Art Online
Nyotalia America - Hetalia
Sasha Braus - Attack On Titan

Em0XAlucard
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Em0XAlucard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 pm

PiercetheHeavens wrote:
Em0XAlucard wrote:That stinks Davy. I had to run into my ex 3-4 times. I caught glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye. I know I should be over it and everything... but it still hurt and was upsetting. Also, there was a group of people making fun of me when I was dressed as Alucard. Really??? Messing with someone dressed as Alucard? I originally thought they were joking around so I played along but no... they were douche bags.... and deserved what came to them.

I can't believe the people that make fun of other people's cosplay at cons right there in front of them. I mean, we're all dorks in costumes, those kind of people are seriously immature. What exactly did they say? That's rotten.

I know right. They kept going on about the whole "sparkle vampires" bit in such a rude manner. I started spitting out lines from the abridged series like "I'm a real vampire" but they kept going on about it in a demeaning manner. They were in the pre-reg line and talking a bunch of crap. My friend ended up "dropping" a bottle of random soda on top of them from above. I didn't want him to do it but was thankful for it anyway lol. I'm not a fan of payback done by myself but if it happens... it wasn't me :rotfl: .
~Fine night tonight isn't it?~

Return to “2012 Memories”