Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eighth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Himeno
Platinum Attendee
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 am
First Anime: Sailor Moon :D

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Himeno » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:52 pm

MugzieIsGir wrote:AND WHY did you hide the Artist Alley behind the dealers room?! They need a place that gets a lot of traffic where people can see them. I'm so glad I didn't get a table this year... I might have been pissed.
Many of the artists are pissed and many of them aren't going back.

And then I felt bad for the venders because they couldn't sell food this year thanks to this choice to stick them in Cobo. Cobo would have charged them double the price to sell food. So that meant, no pocky, no ramune, no panda cookies... NOTHING. That made me disappointed even more to find out that I wasn't even going to get any melon bread.
Every large event venue has a preferred caterer (either in house or contracted out) who, generally, is the only company allowed to sell any food or drink within that venue. There are ways around these, but they tend to require paying off the caterer and/or venue in some way, normally either a food license fee or giving the venue/caterer a cut (often 20+%) of all food/drink sales.

AND PLEASE START MAILING OUT THE BADGES, WE CAN PAY A LITTLE EXTRA FOR POSTAGE... THE PRE-REG LINE WAS LONGER THAN THE REG LINE.
:rotfl: Mailing badges out won't solve the reg problems. It will just create more problems. The way to fix reg is better planning, enough staff, training and a better reg location.

Jenieve
Tabletop DH
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:54 pm
Location: Auburn Hills, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Jenieve » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 am

And then I felt bad for the venders because they couldn't sell food this year thanks to this choice to stick them in Cobo. Cobo would have charged them double the price to sell food. So that meant, no pocky, no ramune, no panda cookies... NOTHING. That made me disappointed even more to find out that I wasn't even going to get any melon bread.
Every large event venue has a preferred caterer (either in house or contracted out) who, generally, is the only company allowed to sell any food or drink within that venue. There are ways around these, but they tend to require paying off the caterer and/or venue in some way, normally either a food license fee or giving the venue/caterer a cut (often 20+%) of all food/drink sales.


There were 2 dealers that were given the option to sell in the dealers room. One is no longer, and the other didn't get their info in in time. In the tabletop game room at the ren cen and in video gaming there were dealers with pocky.

AND PLEASE START MAILING OUT THE BADGES, WE CAN PAY A LITTLE EXTRA FOR POSTAGE... THE PRE-REG LINE WAS LONGER THAN THE REG LINE.
:rotfl: Mailing badges out won't solve the reg problems. It will just create more problems. The way to fix reg is better planning, enough staff, training and a better reg location.


Due to many different issues this won't happen. Plus the issues we had this year with reg was having the hotel pull the room on us the week of con and sent us scrambling to find somewhere to have reg. It was not due to help as much as a space issue.

User avatar
DragonGirl007
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:44 pm
First Anime: Pokemon
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby DragonGirl007 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey everyone!

I should have done this much earlier, but with life and Finals getting in the way well, things happen.

Here are my thoughts on Youmacon 2012.

I have only been to one other convention prior to this one, Youmacon 2011. Last year and this year had some big differences and most were good, some were bad, and others were just terrible. I'm going offer my complaints here in the hopes that they are fixed or corrected somewhat by the time Youmacon 2013 rolls around.

PRE-REGISTRATION

Dear **** in heaven. This was what made the convention bad for me the most. When you pre-register for a badge, it means you are taking the time to pay for something so you don't have to wait for hours at the door. Having a pre-registration line that took from 5:30pm - 8:30pm to get through completely defeats this purpose. Last year my boyfriend and I pre-registered for 3-Day badges and got them in less than an hour tops. This year was just the opposite. My feet were so sore from standing in that long line I almost was crying by the time I got my badge. I also paid extra for a Platinum badge this year, the perks of which were to hopefully facilitate the writing of my article for my college newspaper. Now, for Platinum badge holders there are a couple of perks you are supposed to get with your badge - the free t-shirt and a pass to either the Maid Cafe or the Charity Ball. I'll get into more detail on that in a bit.

RECEIVING BADGE PERKS AND PROGRAMS

Normally when someone gets a Platinum bade, they get the voucher and t-shirt immediately with it. Not the case with me. I didn't get my free t-shirt until Saturday, two days after I got my badge (my boyfriend and I came on Thursday) and only after I went all the way to Cobo to Youmacon's booth and finally got it after exchanging a voucher I received after much more hunting around.

Speaking of the vouchers. There was literally nothing posted on how or where to get them if you had a Platinum badge. I had to walk around the Ren Cen for almost a half hour until I asked multiple staff members where to get one (I specifically wanted one for the Maid Cafe). Once pointed in the right direction by a staff member who actually had a brain in her skull and could tell me where to go, I finally went up to the 4th floor of the Ren Cen to Cosplay Sign Up which was where they were apparently. I got three or so yellow vouchers and exchanged one for a Maid Cafe pass. I get a tiny little white piece of paper in return. A piece of paper I almost lost multiple times. They need to make these passes bigger and sturdier so they don't end up lost or dropped by someone who had to hunt around to find one.

Then the programs. It should never take almost the entire time of the convention to get programs handed out to con-goers. This was just wrong and frankly very annoying for myself and probably others who were trying to work their schedules out for the con and not miss anything they wanted to see. I almost wanted to say "Are you **** serious?" When one staff member suggested I take a picture of the one program they had out at the booth near the Gaming Room so I could have it on my phone, as my phone does not have the ability to pull up the program online which by word of mouth was the only way I found out you could have one prior to them being printed out. Because I didn't get a program until Saturday night I missed a few things I really wanted to see.

The worst of this was simply getting my free t-shirt as mentioned above. Because they weren't handed out immediately to those who held Platinum badges like me, I had to go on a hunt to find mine. I went out to Cobo and finally got mine at the Youmacon booth. I could tell there were issues right off the bat because the booth was a freaking mess and the staff looked as if they needed more help when they were supposed to be providing it.

Messy booth notwithstanding, I asked a staff member about getting my free t-shirt and showed her my badge. She gave me this look at first like I was saying nonsense before I explained that I was supposed to get a free shirt with my Platinum badge status. The staff member finally told me I needed a voucher to get my shirt. A vouchers which was back at the RenCen. In my mind I was jumping over that table and strangling her but outwardly I projected calm and decided to try giving her one of the yellow vouchers I received. She said it wasn't the right one but she could sense my frustration mounting and so she gave me the shirt anyway, scribbling 'T-SHIRT' on the back of the yellow voucher and taking it in place of the real one needed. I had no idea there were separate vouchers for getting a t-shirt as well. Should have clarified that.

COBO HALL AND AUTOGRAPH SESSIONS

Autograph lines can be a real pain in the ****, often worse than lines for Registration or Pre-Registration. Having the autograph sessions at Cobo in my opinion was a huge mistake. Though it offers more space, the lines were just as bad if not worse and it still took forever to see the guest you wanted to see. This was very apparent on Sunday afternoon when I was in line to meet Steam Powered Giraffe and there were almost three other lines alongside ours for either Caitlin Glass or TeamFourStar and nobody could tell which line went to whom.

I remember asking several staff members about when SPG would be at their autographs session as they were increasingly running late by the hour. I don't blame SPG in the slightest for being late but it would have been nice for staff to tell people in line that the guests in question were running late and why if possible (I found out later they were running late because they were actually lost and couldn't figure out where to go themselves. Great job Youmacon. You even make the guests get lost with your lack of organization).

This needs to be rectified either by staggering the autograph times so there is only one line for one particular guest at any time or moving autographs out of Cobo entirely and back to the RenCen. Another idea could be to have equal numbers of autographs sessions at Cobo and the RenCen.

BACK AND FORTH

While I enjoyed Cobo Hall being part of Youmacon's space (I loved how airy and bright it was when you came in on the people mover and walked to the Dealer's Room) I really didn't like the back and forth travel. Basically you had two options to get to Cobo - walk through ghetto downtown Detroit or the People Mover. Now, I primarily used the People Mover and one thing that irked me was that I never knew you could purchase a weekend pass for its use until I heard from another con-goer. The convention staff should have posted something about this from the get-go. I don't mind paying 75 cents for fare (it's cheaper than the usual bus fare I pay to get to school!) but it does add up after a while.

I think that the split between two venues is a real hassle and Youmacon should either find a way to keep everything at the Ren Cen or move everything over to Cobo which has much more space.

I hope these complaints help to paint a picture of what I felt was wrong with Youmacon 2012. I really enjoyed the convention otherwise and loved seeing the amazing cosplays and meeting some of my favorite people such as Caitlin Glass and Steam Powered Giraffe (Bunny looked adorable in nekomimi ears, seriously it was beyond adorable). I did enjoy the large Dealer's Room and Artist Alley though I was surprised at the fact the Artist Alley was all the way in the back and it was hard to tell what was an Artist Alley booth and what was Dealer's space. Maybe the Artist Alley should have a separate location?
Youmacon 2016
* Thursday: Raven - Teen Titans (Cartoon Version)
* Friday: Ruby Rose - RWBY (Season 1 Version)
* Saturday: Mad Moxxi - Borderlands (Red Version)
* Sunday: N/A

User avatar
Kagthul
Gaming ADH
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:10 pm
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Kagthul » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:16 pm

DragonGirl007 wrote:ear **** in heaven. This was what made the convention bad for me the most. When you pre-register for a badge, it means you are taking the time to pay for something so you don't have to wait for hours at the door. Having a pre-registration line that took from 5:30pm - 8:30pm to get through completely defeats this purpose. Last year my boyfriend and I pre-registered for 3-Day badges and got them in less than an hour tops. This year was just the opposite. My feet were so sore from standing in that long line I almost was crying by the time I got my badge.


This wasn't the con's fault. Registration actually had more staff than they could put out, because the hotel pooched them. Reg was supposed to be in the Ambassador-III (right next to VAT) up until about 8 days before the convention, when the Hotel surprised the convention and told they couldn't do reg there because of fire codes (which, btw, is total crap... but the hotel was on a roll of throwing surprises at the convention this year).. so they had to scramble to find any place to have reg at all. Yes, it sucked. Yes, the con is aware. Yes, theyre taking steps to make sure it wont happen again.

BACK AND FORTH

While I enjoyed Cobo Hall being part of Youmacon's space (I loved how airy and bright it was when you came in on the people mover and walked to the Dealer's Room) I really didn't like the back and forth travel. Basically you had two options to get to Cobo - walk through ghetto downtown Detroit or the People Mover.


Or, walk down the brightly-lit, open, clean River Walk directly to Cobo; you know, the one with a police station sitting right on it and that is patrolled by Customs and Border Patrol night and day.
:skeptical:

And, ah, at no point fromt he Ren Cen to Cobo, no matter which way you walked, are you in ghetto Detroit. Trust me, you'd know if you were.

I think that the split between two venues is a real hassle and Youmacon should either find a way to keep everything at the Ren Cen or move everything over to Cobo which has much more space.


Neither is possible. The con cant fit into the hotel anymore, even if it wanted to, and Cobo closes. When conventions get big, they go multi-venue. There's no way around that. A lot of conventions (Otacon, Anime Central; GenCon, Dragon*Con, et al) are spread out over as many as 5 locations which are often even further apart than the Ren Cen and Cobo. Im not saying it couldn't have been handled better (i work as a sub-contractor in Video Gaming, providing equipment, so i didnt get out much, but when i got to Cobo, i was unimpressed by the lack of signage, etc at Cobo. More could be done. Im confident that the guys in charge are working on it.

Just trying to offer some info on why things were the way they were.
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

User avatar
Mike12833
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:31 am
First Anime: D. N. Angel
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Mike12833 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm

From most of what i have heard it seems to me that the ones people should be more upset with is the hotel, They changed several things that the youma staff had planned and kinda messed that up for them, The hotel staff in general ( not all ) seemed grumpy and not very pleased with the situation, Which lead to many different issues and such.
-Youmacon 2015-

--Going to the Anime Convention Reviews meet-up

User avatar
EveryRoadisanOption
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:32 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon (Isn't that every one's?)
Location: Detroit, Mi
Contact:

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby EveryRoadisanOption » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 am


Or, walk down the brightly-lit, open, clean River Walk directly to Cobo; you know, the one with a police station sitting right on it and that is patrolled by Customs and Border Patrol night and day.
:skeptical:

And, ah, at no point fromt he Ren Cen to Cobo, no matter which way you walked, are you in ghetto Detroit. Trust me, you'd know if you were.



To be fair, my mum and I (Detroit residents, btw) walked the River Walk to Cobo since we know the area already and here are the problems with that:

-No signage for those who didn't know the area on the River Walk
-Construction at the Doors to get into Cobo from the River Walk, so the proper public crossing spot was blocked and cars did not want to let people cross since it was not a cross walk (and a lot of con people got sworn at for crossing mob style).
- Once you entered from there, you had to guess where to go to get to the proper part of Cobo since their were no signs and the security guard there had no idea where anything was.

We had no issues since we already knew about it and prepared for it. It was also empty and no cops, but I know Boarder control is always there (and crazy strict), so it's no big deal. Anyways, so people who didn't know the area, wouldn't have done the River Walk simply from lack of info and we can't blame people for lack of info this time around.

User avatar
Sally
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Sally » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Basically you had two options to get to Cobo - walk through ghetto downtown Detroit or the People Mover.


Wrong. There was a third choice.

The Detroit Riverwalk. From the Wintergarden where there were photoshoots, to the side entrance at Cobo.

It is easy, it took 5 minutes to get to and from at a decently quick pace, and it was safe. The only downside is that it was cold. But that only encouraged you to walk more quickly, so it wasn't bad. The scenery was beautiful. It was a very enjoyable walk despite the cold weather.

Granted, this was probably Youmacon's fault for not making that option clear to its attendees.

So how did I know about it?

I scrounged the forum for all information I could get about the con. I kept myself informed and found a couple of people mentioning the Riverwalk. I decided at the con that that was going to be the easiest way for me to get to and from Cobo. I couldn't believe how ignorant people were of that option...

Listen, I don't plan for anything - I am the type of person who likes to take things as they come. But I plan for Youmacon. I let plans change when necessary - but I keep myself informed of all changes and locations and information as much as I can. And that makes the con a much more enjoyable experience for me.

So please, people. Research everything that you need to know about the con. If you have done as much extensive research as possible and you still are not completely satisfied, then you can complain. You can't expect everything at such a huge con to be handed to you on a silver platter. Fend for yourself. That's not an excuse for Youmacon to be lazy, but when they do mess up, you at least have a plan.

User avatar
YellowPancreas
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:51 pm
First Anime: Unico
Location: Mount Pleasant, MI
Contact:

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby YellowPancreas » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm

There really needs to be like scheduled chaperoned walkers to help those who don't feel comfortable walk to/from Cobo.

During the day it is fine probably won't need it, but once it gets closer to being dark out there should be a designated person or security guard who walks a group from the Ren Cen to Cobo, and then another person/security guard walking from cobo to Ren Cen.

Not everyone can use the people mover, especially those who have disabilities or other mobility issues. I've heard of a few people who had been mugged on the walk over, and we're lucky that people only got mugged--not raped or killed.
2012 Cosplay & Pics
Image
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b28453f430
Add me as a friend on fb!

Ome1217
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm
First Anime: Salior Moon

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Ome1217 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 am

All rating are on a scale of 1-10, 1 being horrible and 10 being the best.
I don't know if any one agrees but I felt that this year it was even more unorganized and unprepared. I would have to give an over-all rating of a 7 out of 10. First I would like to name a few of the bad points of the convention. When arriving on Thursday around 4:30\5 pm I did expect to see a long line, but what I witnessed wasn't even close to what I could have ever imagined. The line included those who paid in advance AND those just arriving to get a badge. I was told by a few people who were in line had already been there for a couple of HOURS. Because of the mass amount of time to just wait for ANY badge I would have to give a 2. I was glad because of the wait they allowed people to still visit the game room and check out the lay out of how a convention is ran. I would give this an 8 because that really gave guests an idea of what we as fans of anime, cosplaying, and what have you of our world. I would dare to say that it may have gotten people to think about joining in next year or interested in going to another convention. So as you figure i gave up on getting my badge on Thursday, and I was informed that a new line would start back up at 8 am. So I decided to wake up extra early (thinking the line would be shorter) to get my badge and for the day explore what I could. That would end my Thursday plans just gamed it out and meet up with my crew.
Well to my surprise 9 am Friday morning I went down to get in line and IT WAS STILL JUST AS LONG! Not only was the line extreme, they staff also kept changing the time the line would actually would start. The time went from 10 am to 11:30 then to noon. However, on a good point they did pass out the forms for registration and held places in line for quests to get cash if they only had a credit card on them. The staff did this so both guests and staff would be extra prepared and it would make all transactions faster. Therefore i would have to up the rating to a 3.5, because I was in line for 5 hours. When I received my badge I was told that programs still were not available. I feel that this was totally unacceptable because there should have been plenty of time to print them out at least 2 days before the actual convention to cut down on the chaos. Next came the all of a sudden wrist bands that were needed to return to one's room. I can't be too mad about the hotel staff promoting safety and care for their guests and elevators. So I rated this rule change as a 6. It became a pain trying to get a wrist band or at least to get to my room. But again technically I was a 5th wheel in a 4 person room. Then with the rule change staff became annoyed and many of the them became a bit rude. Again, a pain in the **** but when you're working in disorganization I would expect anyone to get a little frustrated. But there were a few that didn't really seem to want to help, they were just doing it to get a free ticket it seemed. But it wasn't all bad people, I did find people to help me get around the building so it wasn't a big deal. So while I waited on a wrist a band I attended opening ceremony because of the massive line waiting they pushed the time back to 1:30, then to 2 pm. The mc for open ceremony was awesome and super funny. However he was set-up for failure. He announced guests names that had not arrived yet. Some guests were late and were skipped over then then as soon as they arrived we would back track to them so we could hear their spiel and kinda have an idea when and where their panels would be held. Which there were no programs really so they barely knew. I rated this important start off to the convention a 7. I gave it that because even thou unprepared and unorganized they still pulled out all the stop to keep everyone laughing and almost made you forget you were just in line for several hours. On a better note my Friday evening photo shoot, The Avatar shoot, was well organized and exceptionally executed. I rated it an 8 because it was great fun, it was quick, and managed almost like a professional shoot. The young lady running it would call out characters and people jumped and snapped into a pose. She would give a count down so the next group would be ready and cameras would have time to reset and be ready. Friday night, I will have to admit was the best night EVER! I returned to my room changed into some dancing clothes and chased down some other friends so we could be ready for the rave. When I meet up with them I was able to meet Jon St. John (star-struck!) by my friend's room. He was very funny and seemed to be having a ball. We headed down and everything was in place. People were in line water jugs full and placed throughout both the hall ways and near the dance floor.The rave started, which I'm sorry I can't remember the dj, was so amazing. The base was perfect, the light show was phenomenal, and there was so much room to dance. It was my booty shaking dream. I stayed till the rave ended and still had energy. What better way to burn that off then to visit the game room again. The Game room was uber awesome! It had a great variety of games which included table top, computer, console, and arcade games. I jumped on some DDR then to some Halo both great. I did see the tournament but unfortunately I am not that skilled and did not sign up for them. However, I did hear from a friend who did sign up that all the tournaments went well and were every organized. One thing you don't mess up is a gamer's tournament there will be blood on the walls. I rate the whole thing a 9 because of the even or variety of games added to this year's room and even more space provided to play them. So ends my Friday night.
I started my Saturday off a little late but still before noon. Because of my long Friday I did not get to fully explore events held. Quickly got dressed and headed to the dealers' room. I did visit it Friday but I bought all my items on this visit. I rate the whole experience an 8 because the amount of space both provided and used was amazing. There were so many venders to choice from and it really tested your bartering skills. Mid afternoon I attended the Naruto shoot. It started off a bit shaky, but when we did finally got things in order. The shoot turned out just as well as the Avatar one. In fact, it was a little better because there were some real comedians there. Afterwards, I went to see part of the Cosplay Nation's panel. I really enjoyed learning about their projects and seeing the documentary getting put together. I loved it so much I offered to help them whenever their in town or if I see them at other cons. One of the panels I went to was given by Katelyn Kivel. I really liked her panel because it gave a interesting view on yuri hentai and she is a great speaker. I did go to the Sailor Moon, one other hentai panel, and to several rooms showing Anime related movies. As a collection of all these panels I rate then a 9. It was hard because many panels I want to for sure see were during my shoots so I was unable to see many of them. That is why i went to see bits and pieces so I was able to at least get an idea and settle down on some for next year. On to the dance portion of the night. Sadly Saturday night's rave couldn't even hold a light to Friday night's. I didn't stay for more then and hour. I did not like the dj's choice in beats or the clips they had on the screen. I would have to rate it a 5 for that reason. Therefore, I went to the happiest place in the building, the game room.
Sunday was another cathodic day, only because everyone was trying to leave at once. It did become another few hours waiting to go anywhere on the elevators. So it was time to chat with last minute cosplayers and guests of the con, and nap by the elevators while waiting to exit the building. So I rated this a 7 because what could you really do.
For the few things I saw and heard I rated them together because I didn't fully experience it but I did get a good general idea. The musical guests were pretty on point. It was a little different then what I usually listen to but its always good to try new things. I did like how the city opened up for the con goers. The people mover was always full and everyone seemed to enjoy their ride, including non-con goers. It ad to be an interesting experience for Detroiters. I did like that Cobo Hall opened up to provide more room for panels and for more to see. I would give the city opening an over all 8. Other then that youma is always a ton of fun. There is always great people to meet, new things to see and hear and I'm always sad when it ends. I sit and wait for the following year to come. And check out Cosplay Nation I'm hoping they'll be a guest again next year. I'm Garra in one of their youtube videos!
http://ome1217.tumblr.com/

http://www.facebook.com/Cosplay.Nation

http://www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV

User avatar
Aiko-Chan
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon
Location: Gibraltar, Michigan

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Aiko-Chan » Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 am

I don't think I ever gave this a proper feedback. I mostly just said the lines. I have a few more to add.
At the convention, I showed up on Thursday with my group of friends. We bought platinum passes and well, it became a waste of money because, in some of the events like for instance the maid cafe....they were suppose to let the platinum pass people go in first . Instead they let the regular pass people go in first. When in 2011, if you have a platinum pass you were to go first... didn't make any sense to me..
Thursday the line wasn't bad to wait in for pick up of badges because you guys said to show up on thursday..which i did. So when I was getting my pass the staff gave me the wrong badge. I had to read it three times before they even picked up the right one. Then they accidentally gave my friend a platinum pass when she bought a regular and they didn't realize it. So we went back and gave them a heads up and traded it for a regular one.
Anywho, went up stairs to get our tickets for the free stuff passes, apparently my name wasn't in the system. So that was another LONG 30 minute wait just to get that straightened out because at this point.. I'm like okay...what's going on here..
Oh and the kids that are like under 5 years old, parents were having their kids run around like it was nothing...uhhh.. i can't tell parents what to do or whatever, i know that's not your fault. but they were everywhere.
Now, I know the computers went down and the wifi at the rencen just completely sucks thats understandable on your half.
The wrist band crap that the hotel pulled was ridiculous. However, I heard that a hotel at Acen was doing the same thing, so I guess this is gonna be a thing for hotels that hold conventions...It's just crappy.. I wish there was a thing that they could just put on the badge...
I dunno about having registration at cobo...i mean yes youmacon had a spike in attendance but how is that gonna make it better? im just curious.
All throughtout the bad stuff. This con still is at my number one home con. keep rocking youmacon :peace:
Okay, and I know that mailing the badges is a big problem too. Because acen has problems with that.. so i already know that's not an option
:) I likes making new friends!
Find me at!
Youmacon 2013 :)
Acen 2014
Youmacon 2014!
What I cosplayed for at youmacon 2012: Mew Lettuce from tokyo mew mew, Sailor Saturn and Pirate seychelles!
https://www.facebook.com/IzzysCrazyCosplay

User avatar
Aiko-Chan
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon
Location: Gibraltar, Michigan

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Aiko-Chan » Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 am

DragonGirl007 wrote:Hey everyone!

I should have done this much earlier, but with life and Finals getting in the way well, things happen.

Here are my thoughts on Youmacon 2012.

I have only been to one other convention prior to this one, Youmacon 2011. Last year and this year had some big differences and most were good, some were bad, and others were just terrible. I'm going offer my complaints here in the hopes that they are fixed or corrected somewhat by the time Youmacon 2013 rolls around.

PRE-REGISTRATION

Dear **** in heaven. This was what made the convention bad for me the most. When you pre-register for a badge, it means you are taking the time to pay for something so you don't have to wait for hours at the door. Having a pre-registration line that took from 5:30pm - 8:30pm to get through completely defeats this purpose. Last year my boyfriend and I pre-registered for 3-Day badges and got them in less than an hour tops. This year was just the opposite. My feet were so sore from standing in that long line I almost was crying by the time I got my badge. I also paid extra for a Platinum badge this year, the perks of which were to hopefully facilitate the writing of my article for my college newspaper. Now, for Platinum badge holders there are a couple of perks you are supposed to get with your badge - the free t-shirt and a pass to either the Maid Cafe or the Charity Ball. I'll get into more detail on that in a bit.

RECEIVING BADGE PERKS AND PROGRAMS

Normally when someone gets a Platinum bade, they get the voucher and t-shirt immediately with it. Not the case with me. I didn't get my free t-shirt until Saturday, two days after I got my badge (my boyfriend and I came on Thursday) and only after I went all the way to Cobo to Youmacon's booth and finally got it after exchanging a voucher I received after much more hunting around.

Speaking of the vouchers. There was literally nothing posted on how or where to get them if you had a Platinum badge. I had to walk around the Ren Cen for almost a half hour until I asked multiple staff members where to get one (I specifically wanted one for the Maid Cafe). Once pointed in the right direction by a staff member who actually had a brain in her skull and could tell me where to go, I finally went up to the 4th floor of the Ren Cen to Cosplay Sign Up which was where they were apparently. I got three or so yellow vouchers and exchanged one for a Maid Cafe pass. I get a tiny little white piece of paper in return. A piece of paper I almost lost multiple times. They need to make these passes bigger and sturdier so they don't end up lost or dropped by someone who had to hunt around to find one.

Then the programs. It should never take almost the entire time of the convention to get programs handed out to con-goers. This was just wrong and frankly very annoying for myself and probably others who were trying to work their schedules out for the con and not miss anything they wanted to see. I almost wanted to say "Are you **** serious?" When one staff member suggested I take a picture of the one program they had out at the booth near the Gaming Room so I could have it on my phone, as my phone does not have the ability to pull up the program online which by word of mouth was the only way I found out you could have one prior to them being printed out. Because I didn't get a program until Saturday night I missed a few things I really wanted to see.

The worst of this was simply getting my free t-shirt as mentioned above. Because they weren't handed out immediately to those who held Platinum badges like me, I had to go on a hunt to find mine. I went out to Cobo and finally got mine at the Youmacon booth. I could tell there were issues right off the bat because the booth was a freaking mess and the staff looked as if they needed more help when they were supposed to be providing it.

Messy booth notwithstanding, I asked a staff member about getting my free t-shirt and showed her my badge. She gave me this look at first like I was saying nonsense before I explained that I was supposed to get a free shirt with my Platinum badge status. The staff member finally told me I needed a voucher to get my shirt. A vouchers which was back at the RenCen. In my mind I was jumping over that table and strangling her but outwardly I projected calm and decided to try giving her one of the yellow vouchers I received. She said it wasn't the right one but she could sense my frustration mounting and so she gave me the shirt anyway, scribbling 'T-SHIRT' on the back of the yellow voucher and taking it in place of the real one needed. I had no idea there were separate vouchers for getting a t-shirt as well. Should have clarified that.

COBO HALL AND AUTOGRAPH SESSIONS

Autograph lines can be a real pain in the ****, often worse than lines for Registration or Pre-Registration. Having the autograph sessions at Cobo in my opinion was a huge mistake. Though it offers more space, the lines were just as bad if not worse and it still took forever to see the guest you wanted to see. This was very apparent on Sunday afternoon when I was in line to meet Steam Powered Giraffe and there were almost three other lines alongside ours for either Caitlin Glass or TeamFourStar and nobody could tell which line went to whom.

I remember asking several staff members about when SPG would be at their autographs session as they were increasingly running late by the hour. I don't blame SPG in the slightest for being late but it would have been nice for staff to tell people in line that the guests in question were running late and why if possible (I found out later they were running late because they were actually lost and couldn't figure out where to go themselves. Great job Youmacon. You even make the guests get lost with your lack of organization).

This needs to be rectified either by staggering the autograph times so there is only one line for one particular guest at any time or moving autographs out of Cobo entirely and back to the RenCen. Another idea could be to have equal numbers of autographs sessions at Cobo and the RenCen.

BACK AND FORTH

While I enjoyed Cobo Hall being part of Youmacon's space (I loved how airy and bright it was when you came in on the people mover and walked to the Dealer's Room) I really didn't like the back and forth travel. Basically you had two options to get to Cobo - walk through ghetto downtown Detroit or the People Mover. Now, I primarily used the People Mover and one thing that irked me was that I never knew you could purchase a weekend pass for its use until I heard from another con-goer. The convention staff should have posted something about this from the get-go. I don't mind paying 75 cents for fare (it's cheaper than the usual bus fare I pay to get to school!) but it does add up after a while.

I think that the split between two venues is a real hassle and Youmacon should either find a way to keep everything at the Ren Cen or move everything over to Cobo which has much more space.

I hope these complaints help to paint a picture of what I felt was wrong with Youmacon 2012. I really enjoyed the convention otherwise and loved seeing the amazing cosplays and meeting some of my favorite people such as Caitlin Glass and Steam Powered Giraffe (Bunny looked adorable in nekomimi ears, seriously it was beyond adorable). I did enjoy the large Dealer's Room and Artist Alley though I was surprised at the fact the Artist Alley was all the way in the back and it was hard to tell what was an Artist Alley booth and what was Dealer's space. Maybe the Artist Alley should have a separate location?

There was a big sign that said 3 dollar all weekend pass for the people mover... i bought that very lovely saved myself 75 cents each ride
:) I likes making new friends!
Find me at!
Youmacon 2013 :)
Acen 2014
Youmacon 2014!
What I cosplayed for at youmacon 2012: Mew Lettuce from tokyo mew mew, Sailor Saturn and Pirate seychelles!
https://www.facebook.com/IzzysCrazyCosplay

User avatar
Sally
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Sally » Thu May 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Aiko-Chan wrote:I dunno about having registration at cobo...i mean yes youmacon had a spike in attendance but how is that gonna make it better? im just curious.

I think that the reason that people believe that it will be better is because the room at Cobo that they are using is gigantic. A gigantic room means more room for registration tables and more room for staff members to work the computers. It also means more room for the line to form.

The reason why registration took FOREVER was because there were only 4 computers for thousands of people. Let's do some math here. If there were 4000 people in line for prereg on Thursday night with only 4 computers, that means that 1000 people would stop at every station. If it takes 30 seconds to process each registration, that is 500 minutes of prereg time. 500/60 is about... 48 hours of registration? Lol it may gave been that bad for the whole weekend. XD But anyways, if you have 40 computers for 4000 prereg attendees, that is only 100 attendees at each computer. It would only take an hour to go through the entire line.

Blackdragon0228
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:47 am
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Blackdragon0228 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 am

There's so much I could say about this Youmacon I could fill a book with my absolute annoyance in this con right now.
1: Wristbands are insane. I understand checking badges but wristbands?? they're annoying they're tight and they get wet and people aren't to happy about getting you new ones when something that wasn't your fault happens to them. I admit I do keep a few people extra in my room for con most years and having an overflow isn't something you want at a hotel but this HAS to be handled better. This was just unacceptable.
2: The staff was rude. Every staff person that I encountered that weekend was rude. I know it's a busy time for them but when I'm paying as much as I am and when EVERYONE is paying this much they better at least TRY to be hospitable.
3: The lines were RIDICULOUS. There needs to be multiple places for lines or more staff because waiting HOURS for a badge, especially if it was pre-ordered is awful.
4: No schedules or anything until mid friday. I was basically done with this con by this point. This was a joke.
5: All the major events were at horrible times. the most popular ones overlapped and were in different buildings and it was a MESS.

There was little I liked about this con. I've been coming to Youma for 4 years and this was the WORST i have EVER seen this con done. This con used to be first on my list but it gets worse every year. I don't want this con to end up being shut down but with this terrible planning, terrible staff, and terrible/inconvenient rules I think the numbers for this will plummet.

User avatar
Sally
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Sally » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:13 am

Blackdragon0228 wrote:There's so much I could say about this Youmacon I could fill a book with my absolute annoyance in this con right now.
1: Wristbands are insane. I understand checking badges but wristbands?? they're annoying they're tight and they get wet and people aren't to happy about getting you new ones when something that wasn't your fault happens to them. I admit I do keep a few people extra in my room for con most years and having an overflow isn't something you want at a hotel but this HAS to be handled better. This was just unacceptable.
2: The staff was rude. Every staff person that I encountered that weekend was rude. I know it's a busy time for them but when I'm paying as much as I am and when EVERYONE is paying this much they better at least TRY to be hospitable.
3: The lines were RIDICULOUS. There needs to be multiple places for lines or more staff because waiting HOURS for a badge, especially if it was pre-ordered is awful.
4: No schedules or anything until mid friday. I was basically done with this con by this point. This was a joke.
5: All the major events were at horrible times. the most popular ones overlapped and were in different buildings and it was a MESS.

There was little I liked about this con. I've been coming to Youma for 4 years and this was the WORST i have EVER seen this con done. This con used to be first on my list but it gets worse every year. I don't want this con to end up being shut down but with this terrible planning, terrible staff, and terrible/inconvenient rules I think the numbers for this will plummet.


Lmfao this thread has been around for over 7 months and you think that none of these issues have been brought up already? You think that Youmacon itself though that last year went peachy-keen? Have you read none of the threads started by Youma staff explaining many of the changes that will be taking place next year?

I am not going to repeat what multiple people have said multiple times about improvements for next year. Go seek them out yourself. Unless, of course, you want to continue having a negative attitude toward the con. Then keep yourself in the dark about changes.

The main thread that addresses last year's issues is from Bo in the Youmacon Discussion subforum.

I think that the only complaint that you made that isn't just a rehash of everyone else's complaints is the scheduling conflicts for major events. I agree that something like that probably needs to be addressed. But what, specifically, would you consider to be major scheduling conflicts? This is something that the scheduling staff NEEDS to know so that they can improve.

I do know that every year, Youmacon has had a decently bad time scheduling LittleKuriboh and/or TeamFourStar panels correctly. From 2009-2011, one of TFS's panels has been in too small of a room. Last year, they originally scheduled LK's panel to take place at the same time as TFS's 18+ panel. They made last-minute adjustments to the schedule that time, but that mixup still happened and it was irritating.

And yet, despite those annoyances that happen to them every single year, they still keep coming back. Why? Because they adapted to their circumstances and made the most out of their time at Youmacon.

That is not to say that Youmacon shouldn't make improvements to their scheduling process - I know that they could use as much improvement as possible. But at the same time, I understand that scheduling is a horribly horrendous and difficult thing to do, ESPECIALLY as the con gets bigger and you can't please everybody all the time.

You may just be a small con type of person. Do you think that maybe you think that it gets worse every year because it gets bigger every year? That Youma was your favorite until it got very large?

Nobody is making you go this year. But if you think that Youmacon is stupid enough to repeat many of last year's mistakes and misfortunes, I don't think that you realize what they did in the first place to make them one of the fastest-growing cons in the country.

User avatar
Mike12833
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:31 am
First Anime: D. N. Angel
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby Mike12833 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:03 am

Time to randomly re-post about half a year later... c:

Heh gonna try for just some subjects i would like to see changed or in some way prevented...

While the walking between the two areas is fine maybe except for night but heck cobo closes near night so why would you be out? the only real issues i had with walking was... The beggars idk if its legal or not or what i just... could not stand it i aint trying to be mean but it was almost like torture walking through there with ppl begging it was enough i even tried to rush near groups when passing by so not to be singled out...

Winter garden doors if anything i would love for these to be left open later i cannot be the only person who just needs some fresh air ( even at night ) and wants to go out without having to worry about security locking up the doors then preventing ppl outside from getting in... idk it aint gotta be majorly late but heck the rave is from whenever to like so such in the night having it open least till 12:00 or a bit later would be nice... ( Though i realize this would be handled by the hotel )

Please get the main programing and stuff a little more near the schedule i know the schedule is not set in stone but things like the opening ceremony which i would have went too ( well did sit in line for like 40 min, only to leave and apparently 5 min later open up go figure ) had they been more near said time or least a little quick yell from staff saying "It may be [insert amount of time] before the [insert event] will begin! ).

Wristbands... I think y'all already got that point down...

------------------------------------
Question that is probably pretty dumb to ask but just wondering... Couldn't youmacon hold two reg/pre stations one in RenCen and the other in Cobo...? ( I do realize several issues just seems like a way to split the crowd and spare some the long lines )
-Youmacon 2015-

--Going to the Anime Convention Reviews meet-up


Return to “2012 Memories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest