Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our eighth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Re: Youmacon 2012 Official Feedback

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

The People Mover wasn't so bad if you bought a pass for it. I think it ended up paying for itself a few times over with how much I used it, although it was less than ideal that it had to take a full trip to get back. Stopping in Greektown for 5 Guys and Coldstone was great though.

It'd be great for Youma to add a pass with your badge if you pay an extra few dollars, if that would be possible. I think I've mentioned it here before, but something that would be totally awesome if it were possible would be to include a stripe so you can use your badge as a pass. It'd solve the problem with everyone buying tokens instead of getting a pass as well as curbing people from counterfeiting the badges. Granted, it'd probably drive up production costs and not work right, but a boy can dream.

I also think someone mentioned earlier that Youma really can't do badge pickup at Cobo since the venue would demand a sizable cut of badge sales or something.
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 am

The_Original_UberCuber wrote:The People Mover wasn't so bad if you bought a pass for it. I think it ended up paying for itself a few times over with how much I used it, although it was less than ideal that it had to take a full trip to get back. Stopping in Greektown for 5 Guys and Coldstone was great though.

It'd be great for Youma to add a pass with your badge if you pay an extra few dollars, if that would be possible. I think I've mentioned it here before, but something that would be totally awesome if it were possible would be to include a stripe so you can use your badge as a pass. It'd solve the problem with everyone buying tokens instead of getting a pass as well as curbing people from counterfeiting the badges. Granted, it'd probably drive up production costs and not work right, but a boy can dream.

I also think someone mentioned earlier that Youma really can't do badge pickup at Cobo since the venue would demand a sizable cut of badge sales or something.

Yep, though there is an attempt underway to get them to waive that.. Unions are notoriously unwilling to budge on such things.

Also, to address a guy on the previous page - the entire convention cant move to Cobo. It closes.
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

Melima331
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Melima331 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

The_Original_UberCuber wrote:The People Mover wasn't so bad if you bought a pass for it. I think it ended up paying for itself a few times over with how much I used it, although it was less than ideal that it had to take a full trip to get back. Stopping in Greektown for 5 Guys and Coldstone was great though.

I really wish I knew about the passes! How much were they and where did you get them?
There was no info anywhere I could find that mentioned people mover passes.
2015 Possible cosplays:
Kitana (Mortal Kombat X), Daenerys, Catwoman, Baby Doll (Sucker Punch), FFX Rikku, Sailor Mars (Fan art version)

Cosplay page: www.facebook.com/melimacosplay

Medieval
Technical Staff
First Anime: Star Blazers

Postby Medieval » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I can gives answers and add some insight on these particular parts, a few have already been stated previously in this same thread.

Blazegryph wrote: If the attendance last year outgrew the Rennaisance by such a large amount, why not move the entirety of the programming to the Cobo Centre?

Cobo is extremely expensive to use and it also has set hours for when it is and isn't open, which would not be conducive to 24 hr programming. Hence youmacon will never be moving 100% of its programming to cobo.

Blazegryph wrote:I understand that the RenCen has been Youmacon's home since the convention started, but I do not think sentimentality is an acceptable reason to split a convention between two locations considering the distance between them and the time of year. For example, Anime North in Toronto is split between 3 buildings (the Congress Centre, the DoubleTree across the street, and the Renaissance down and across the street), but they are all within a 10 minute walk and the convention is held at the end of May when the weather is usually lovely.

Correction this is only our 3rd year at the RenCen, we were' previously at the Dearborn Hyatt and prior to that at a Hotel in Troy. As for other nearby locations they either have no conference/convention space available, so little space that it is impractical for use, or has previously told the convention that they are not interested in our business.

As for the walk length, I walked between cobo and rencen more than a few time and even rode the people mover, in both cases it never took longer that 13 minutes for me to reach my destination. I was walking with my mother in law who has MS and has to walk with a cane as well as my 9 year old daughter at the time.

Blazegryph wrote:However, if Youmacon will continue to hold part of its programming at Cobo and part at the RenCen, it should at the very least have registration at the Cobo, so the dealers and artists who paid good money to be there get the exposure they deserve.

Registration will most likely never be at COBO, COBO has indicated if we were to try having registration there they would want 15-45% (35% was the last number I recall hearing that they wanted) off the top of every dollar the convention brings in, a cost over head like that is simply to big a chunk out of the budget and would kill the convention. Now if they were willing to waive that it would be a different story all together, that is going to take allot of talking though and possibly some good faith as well.

As for Signage at Cobo, unfortunately those suffered the same issues as the programs (they had the same printer) and were not delivered to the convention until half way through the day on Saturday.

Now I agree the people mover pass is a good ID and it actually was something we were trying to negotiate, but it did not come to fruition this time around.
This is my normal voice.
This is my mod voice
Please, please, don't make me use the mod voice.

gandbloot
First Anime: Code Geass

Postby gandbloot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:39 pm

This was my first year at Youmacon, and I have to say that while it was enjoyable at the con... everything leading up to it was a bit of a mess. Here's my breakdown of the weekend:

As An Artist
Registration: Honestly this was one of the worst parts for me. Out of all of the conventions I've been to in the past, this one was by far the most difficult to get into. My biggest gripe with registration was the utter lack of communication... I sent multiple e-mails before the AA reg opened with absolutely no responce. After checking the forums daily for about a month, I gave up. It was on a whim that I check the forums again to see which artists would be at Youma (as I was assuming reg had already opened and closed) only to find out that registration was opening in less than 12 hours.
I was happy that we managed to get in... but such a last minute notice is shameful for a con this size. If it wasn't for pure luck, I would have missed out altogether, and I know there were others out there that DID miss reg because of this.
Also not mentioning the fact that you no longer accept Paypal until AFTER reg opened was a bit... jarring.
I completely understand that it wasn't any one particular person's fault for the way it happened, but there really isn't any excuse as to why there couldn't have been a bit more notice...

Setup
My biggest question here is why, if this is a four day convention, are we not able to set up on Thursday? Most artists I know have quite the display, ranging from PVC displays to those metal cubes... not to mention sorting out all of their charms, necklaces, prints, etc... Having the option to set up on Thursday would have saved me a ton of trouble, and I'm sure there are other artists out there that would agree.

Room Layout
Another big disappointment for me was the setup. At almost every con I've been to before, the artists are in FRONT of the dealers. This makes people at least walk by artist tables in order to get to the dealers room, which helps out business a lot. As soon as I walked in and saw that the artists were behind the dealers my heart sank... I knew that we weren't going to be seeing as much traffic as we normally do because we were tucked back behind everything else. In future years, PLEASE put the artists in front of the dealers. People will always be interested in what the dealers have to offer, so putting the artists in front will do them no harm.
The layout itself was nice. The aisles were nice and roomy... For the few minutes I actually got to walk around the alley I was very happy with how spacious everything was. I never felt pressure to move away from an artist because someone else was behind me.

Dealers Hall Hours
Another benefit to putting the artist in front of the dealers is that you can have separate hours. At a bigger con like this one, it would have been nice to stay open a bit longer than the dealers. If we had been in the front of the room it would have been easy to rope off the dealers section and force people back through the artist portion of the room. ACen does this, and I can say that we often made more during that extra hour we were open than we did during the late afternoon.

As A Con Goer
Staff
Most of the staff that I ran into in the Dealers Room was quite helpful. They knew the answers to what questions I had, held the doors open for me while I carried my things in, and there was one particular fellow who even offered to help us set up on Friday.
Unfortunately, most of the staff I ran into outside of the AA was not so pleasant. I saw more than one person who was on a serious power trip; yelling at people for no reason, threatening to take badges away, etc. Out of all of the inappropriate behavior I see at conventions from kids running in the halls, obnoxiously loud yelling, glomping, etc I never saw ANY of that reprimanded and yet somehow a girl standing slightly out of line is screamed at to get back against the wall or her badge will be revoked? Completely unnecessary, and quite frankly rather disturbing. Fresh-out-of-highschool kids on a power trip do NOT make good staff. Whoever briefs the staff next year needs to clear up that just because you get a blue shirt with the word "staff" on it does NOT make it okay to be a ****.

Venue
All in all, I really liked the Cobo/RenCen combo. It was my first year at Youma so this was my only experience with either building... but the overall setup of things was decent. The People Mover was really easy to use and very well worth the price. Honestly, it wasa lot cheaper than I expected it to be which was a nice surprise. Going back to communication though... it would have been nice to see more announcements about the People Mover ahead of time, as I had no idea it existed until someone mentioned it to me at the convention.
Really, my only complaints are that separating the Dealers/Artists from everything else wasn't good for business. At the con I could tell that there wasn't as much foot traffic as there is at other big conventions, and reading through some of the comments in this thread just confirms it. I don't even know how many times I read "The walk sucked/was dangerous/etc so I only went to the Cobo once" Rather disheartening to think that if the AA/Dealers Room were in a different location that we could have gotten more business...

Schedule
Again with the bad communication! I can't even believe that the schedule wasn't announced until a week before the con... Coming from out of state, it is ESSENTIAL to have the schedule in advance.
I think what bothers me the most is that Youmacon's Facebook was constantly posting about what guests would be in attendance but there wasn't ever any mention of the schedule. Even if it isn't finished yet, link us to some rough drafts so we have a basic idea of what is going to be going on. Heck, at least tell us that it's not finished yet but will be up soon... The worst part was just being left in the dark.

Overall, my experience was decent. Youmacon is hesitantly on my list of cons for next year. I'm hoping by then things will be a little more organized... but in the end I still had as good of a time as I do at any other cons. I know that this convention has been growing at a rapid pace, and this year it was evident that staff is having a hard time keeping up with that growth. Live and learn, though... I hope to see this con grow even more next year, but also see the staff keep up with it this time. [;

love4Sora
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby love4Sora » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm

On the homepage, a link has been posted, asking for con-attendees to give their feedback. I am giving mine, with quite a piece of my mind in it. If you have any complaints & concerns just as I do, I highly suggest filling it out if you haven't done so already--I filled mine out as soon as I came home & saw it that Sunday.
There were many more problems than the ones that I listed below, but I am only posting the ones that affected myself.
I could also add in the disastrous & unbelievable problems that I had with the hotel, but that is not the convention's fault, so I left those out.

I am blunt & a bit harsh, but I do believe I got my points across very clearly.

Now, here is what I put in their comments section:

Please tell us in your own words, what do you love about Youmacon?
I loved seeing a bunch of my friends that I don't get to see very often. However, there were far more cons than pros with the con this year.

How would you like to see us improve for next year?
1) Having the convention in two separate buildings that could not be SAFELY reached on foot is unacceptable. Yes, the People Mover worked fine & was convenient in its own way. However, the attendees SHOULD NOT have to take PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION to reach the other side of the convention. It is very unsafe to those that are unfamiliar to the area, like myself, and it is very time consuming & bothersome when trying to meet up with people or trying to get to one place to the other. I heard that people got mugged on their way to/from each building. Also, the website made it sound like the Cobo could easily be reached by just walking down the boardwalk along side the river a little bit; try to get it across better.

2) I enjoyed the Dealer's Room/Artist Alley. HOWEVER, I have a friend who had a table in the artist alley, and she was saying that she wasn't getting as many customers as she normally would, simply because the artists were BEHIND all of the dealers. If you plan on doing the same thing next year, I HIGHLY suggest splitting that giant room into four/three areas with some kind of signs that say, where things are, rather than just throwing them & piling them in there. There should be an area for the dealers, an area for the artists, an area for the conventions that were a part of the roadshow, & then an area for autographs--if they're not in a separate room again. All these different areas should be very visible from the entrance.

3) Pre-registration was absolutely atrocious, and there is NO excuse in this entire world as to how bad it was. Get your act together; pre-registration is supposed to be quick & easy, not painstakingly frustrating & time-consuming.

4) The People-Mover was closed until noon on Sunday. Although the public-transportation pamphlets of the area say this, your website, however, did not; there were several artists, dealers, con-goers, etc. stranded waiting to get to Cobo because of poor & inaccurate communication from the convention. That is inexcusable. Of course, people could have walked, but as I stated previously, it is VERY dangerous for people to do so, ESPECIALLY for those that are not from the area. The convention is held in DETROIT, the country's most dangerous city. Of course it's dangerous.In the pamphlet, however, it does say, "The People Mover Will Extend Hours for Special Events as Needed". From what I understand, Youmacon did not do what they needed to do to extend these hours. Next year if you plan on doing this travelling between buildings nonsense again, do what you must to extend those hours for the con attendees.

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 am

Disclaimer: due to how the Youma forums deal with sub-contractors, it say's im convention staff. While i am friends with many of the senior staff, i dont serve on the staff and dont help plan the convention other than the one part im sub-contracted to work on. The following opinions are my own, period.

love4Sora wrote:4) The People-Mover was closed until noon on Sunday. Although the public-transportation pamphlets of the area say this, your website, however, did not; there were several artists, dealers, con-goers, etc. stranded waiting to get to Cobo because of poor & inaccurate communication from the convention. That is inexcusable. Of course, people could have walked, but as I stated previously, it is VERY dangerous for people to do so, ESPECIALLY for those that are not from the area.

No it isn't. Walking in that area of Detroit isnt any more dangerous than walking in Livonia, Rochester, Waterford, or any other suburb in the area. It is heavily patrolled. Downtown is not unsafe and hasn't been for over a decade. In between the Ren Cen and Cobo is a Detroit Police station, (in addition to the one inside the Ren Cen itself) C&BP headquarters, and surveillance cameras provided by Homeland Security. The area is patrolled by the C&BP guys, the detroit police, and Homeland security.

The convention is held in DETROIT, the country's most dangerous city.

A single Forbes article that has more caveats and technicalities than the typical US budget plan does not the truth make. In both murders per capita and violent crime per capita, Detroit isn't even in the top 10 and hasn't been in almost a decade. The Forbes article uses the belief that "the crimes simply aren't being reported" to make its claim. ANY large urban area is dangerous; but also, almost universally, the "downtown" areas of those cities might as well be separate entities. That is particularly true in Detroit.

Of course it's dangerous.In the pamphlet, however, it does say, "The People Mover Will Extend Hours for Special Events as Needed". From what I understand, Youmacon did not do what they needed to do to extend these hours.

I know for a fact that the convention chair and members of the senior staff met with both the Detroit Police *and* the Transit dept (+Transit police) to plan for more patrols and extended hours - twice. We're talking in-person, face-to-face meetings with police officials. The city didn't follow through, and there was nothing the convention could do about that. You'd be a lot better of sending your complaints to Mayor Bing's office. (When this topic came up when i was having lunch with some of the senior staff last week, i recommended going straight to the Mayor's office for next year and getting the entire city involved).

Next year if you plan on doing this travelling between buildings nonsense again, do what you must to extend those hours for the con attendees.

Bolded for emphasis by me.

Nonsense?

So, i suppose you'd be happier with the convention capping attendance at just over 9500 people, then (because that's the limit the fire marshal is going to enforce)? Seriously, some of you people need to get perspective. Go to other big conventions. they ALL use multiple venues, because no single venue around has the space needed. Dragon*Con takes over 5 (going on 6!) hotels in Downtown Atlanta (which is actually a lot more dangerous than Downtown Detroit) that are sometimes several city blocks apart. Otacon, last i heard, was in three venues, and overflow attendance hotels are up to a mile or more away from the convention. Same with GenCon. Acen has programming in at least two hotels and the convention center (but they are fortunate to have skyways connecting everything, which is NOT the norm).

Multiple venues is a fact of life in large conventions (i should make a caveat here: conventions that need to be 24 hours; there are several large convention centers that can handle "Expo" style conventions quite easily with huge attendance numbers, but that isn't what we're talking about here). It isn't going away.

People need to stop fearmongering about downtown Detroit. Yes, *most* of Detroit is quite dangerous, but downtown is as safe as the suburbs and has been for almost a decade. People need to stop whining about a 1900ft walk. I have to wear a pedometer for my health insurance (lower premiums!); without ever leaving the Ren Cen, or really even the room that my company has equipment in, i put in almost 3 miles a day at the con. a 2/5th of a mile walk to Cobo isn't an issue.
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

VerticalForklift
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby VerticalForklift » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:35 am

This was my third year attending Youmacon, and Youmacon is the first and only con I've attended so far.

Here is my feedback according to my own experience.

Cons:

- Lack of communication amongst the Youmacon staff, and between Youmacon staff and Marriot staff. It is imperative to have good communication among staff at a large event like Youmacon. There are many people who don't know what's going on or who feel overwhelmed, and it's the staff's job to ease this by knowing where things are and what's going on. Some examples of this lack in communication: no one knowing which line was Reg or Pre-reg, staff not knowing where things are or having a map(s) to aid, and not knowing if there is or where the luggage hold was.

- Lack of signs. It was the first year we've been in the Cobo and there was a grotesque lack of signs to help guide our way in this recently expanded convention. Had my friends and I not followed a random photographer guy there, we likely would have taken an hour or more just figuring out how to get to the Cobo (we walked along the river, still no clue where the people mover is) and where on earth the Dealer's Room/Artists' Alley was.

- Can I just stress communication? Seriously, communication is SO important. Maybe use walkie-talkies or something? /doesn't know squat about staffing & communication for large events

Pros:

- I loved the Dealer's Room and Artist's Alley being in the Cobo. There was so much more room to walk and it was so much less crowded and, as if to make it that much better, there was food and seating available there as well (although it was incredibly overpriced).

- Other attendees. Everyone I met was so nice. There was even this guy who just went around shaking peoples' hands and introducing himself. Then there was that guy with the pink shirt and blue boombox(?) who was dancing in the GM Wintergarden! That was great, I even got a chance to talk to him and although he was obviously exhausted from dancing he was still really nice. Later that night there were some girls on the same floor near a pair of escalators who had a boombox and were dancing, too. They invited me to dance with them and were just so nice and fun (I totally regret not dancing!). Then the cosplayers! The ones I encountered were so kind and friendly. Not to mention the fantasic Sokka cosplayer, Sophie cosplayer, Inuyasha cosplayers, and the Clone cosplayers who all let my friend pose with them for photos (it was her first con, too).

- Cosplay. Is it me or was there more cosplay this year? Even so, it was amazing. I'm so glad I remembered my glasses so I could see everyone's amazing outfits. There were some cosplayers that I missed who I wanted to meet, but the ones I did meet were so fantastic (as people and as cosplayers).

Some notes on things that I've seen people saying:

- Wristbands. I don't know about other groups, but the hotel had us put our wristbands on ourselves. I don't usually wear any sort of jewelry so wristbands are always extremely uncomfortable for me and, additionally, I was going to cosplay on Saturday and I just couldn't have that on my wrist. To solves my friends and I put them on ourselves loosely so that we could slip our hands out of them later on (for bathing, sleeping, etc.). I also bought a little bag from an artist so I just put my wristband in there and pretty much never wore it when it wasn't necessary.

- Getting from the Ren Cen to the Cobo and back. I see a lot of people apparently walked along the road or used the People Mover. First I'd like to emphasize that the part of Detroit that Youmacon takes place in is incredibly safe- we're even right next to a Police station! Even so, seeing the concern with walking along the road I'd like to point out that there was another path to the Cobo that you could have taken that is much safer (especially in terms of cars). It's that pathway from the river viewing area (with a map of the world on the ground) outside the Ren Cen alongside the river all that goes all the way to the Cobo (and past it). It's a straight path and was probably the safest route short of taking the people mover. My friends and I took that route each time and encountered no problems whatsoever.

I think that's about it. Have a good night. ovo /

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 am

If it makes people feel better, should Youmacon just rent out the forcefield that Grosse Pointe uses to keep out vagrants?

Or Robocop. Let's get Robocop.

But really you people are being ridiculous. I'm not going to take "I heard someone got ___ed" seriously until I see a police report or news article.
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

KawaiiDesuSunshine
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby KawaiiDesuSunshine » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Everything was so great!!!!!!! only thing that was bad was someone peed in my bed and that was horrible. No more people allowed to drink in our rooms. ewwwww

i wont go stay with my older sister every again!

KuroroCure
First Anime: Outlaw Star

Postby KuroroCure » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Pros :rd:

-Other cosplayers, other congoers. I was really happy to see a lot more friendly people this year.
-Lots of non-stinky con-goers, yay for showers!!
-Scott McNeil- thank you for bringing him to Youmacon. I appreciate it. So much!!!
-Guards guarding the panels. Thanks! They were informative and friendly.

Cons :nono:

Cosplay Judging/Hall Cosplay/Masquerade
*EDITED* It's just going to make me sound like a sore loser.
You guys need to find judges that will judge based off of skill not what they like.
Otherwise, you're just going to end up with no one entering except the judge's friends.

Youmacon Staff
I'd like to say Security was very nice this year. Then I'd like to say the people sitting around doing nothing, not so much. I asked about cosplay judging, not one person had a clue what that was, let alone where or when it was. Needless to say, I was okay with that. I wasn't okay with the rude attitudes. It was FRIDAY MORNING PEOPLE! It wasn't even Saturday, the busiest day of the con.... I'd understand the attitude at that point but it was 11:00AM and you were eating ramen noodles and doing NOTHING. Yes, you don't get paid, but if you ever volunteer outside of the con, I don't know anyone that would take that kind of attitude seriously without kicking your butt to the curb. Never have I seen such horrifyingly snotty staff.

Elevators
Thank **** it was good the rest of the time, but you need security up there ASAP on Sunday morning. Please. For all of our sakes.

Schedules
Beating the dead horse here. No comment.
Youmacon 2014:
Saturday: The Nightwalker from Princess Mononoke

thatsme

Postby thatsme » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 pm

No it isn't. Walking in that area of Detroit isnt any more dangerous than walking in Livonia, Rochester, Waterford, or any other suburb in the area. It is heavily patrolled. Downtown is not unsafe and hasn't been for over a decade. In between the Ren Cen and Cobo is a Detroit Police station, (in addition to the one inside the Ren Cen itself) C&BP headquarters, and surveillance cameras provided by Homeland Security. The area is patrolled by the C&BP guys, the detroit police, and Homeland security.

A single Forbes article that has more caveats and technicalities than the typical US budget plan does not the truth make. In both murders per capita and violent crime per capita, Detroit isn't even in the top 10 and hasn't been in almost a decade. The Forbes article uses the belief that "the crimes simply aren't being reported" to make its claim. ANY large urban area is dangerous; but also, almost universally, the "downtown" areas of those cities might as well be separate entities. That is particularly true in Detroit.

Of course it's dangerous.In the pamphlet, however, it does say, "The People Mover Will Extend Hours for Special Events as Needed". From what I understand, Youmacon did not do what they needed to do to extend these hours.

I know for a fact that the convention chair and members of the senior staff met with both the Detroit Police *and* the Transit dept (+Transit police) to plan for more patrols and extended hours - twice. We're talking in-person, face-to-face meetings with police officials. The city didn't follow through, and there was nothing the convention could do about that. You'd be a lot better of sending your complaints to Mayor Bing's office. (When this topic came up when i was having lunch with some of the senior staff last week, i recommended going straight to the Mayor's office for next year and getting the entire city involved).

Kagthul I have to disagree with you on your points.
Being a Police Officer, 20yrs in a Detroit suburb, I know far more about the Detroit Police and "How well Downtown is Patrolled"

I had written a rather lengthy retort to your statements, but felt it best to keep it shorter. Let me say this. You are basing your safety on a City that can't protect itself, and you are putting the safety of your con goers in their hands.

If something should happen, it's not the Detroit Police or Mayor Bing who will suffer from it. Youmacon will bear the consequences, and the Youmacon staff. Saying "We talked to the Police" won't take that burden from your shoulders.

If you think suggestions haven't been made, well I for one have made them and tried to volunteer my experience and training. I would happily help out with planning and security, and not ask for one cent. I have brought my kids to Youmacon every year for 5 years now. It is a part of our lives that we greatly enjoy. We don't want to see it go away. All anyone has to do is hit me up and I will be glad to help. 20yrs as a Police Officer, Command Officer for 15yrs, Army veteran, more training than I can begin to recite on here. Offered my help before and offering again.

Yui
Live Programming Staff

Postby Yui » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

KuroroCure wrote:Cons :nono:

Cosplay Judging/Hall Cosplay/Masquerade
*EDITED* It's just going to make me sound like a sore loser.
You guys need to find judges that will judge based off of skill not what they like.
Otherwise, you're just going to end up with no one entering except the judge's friends.

Nah, actually all that filler during the award presentation was "flavor text" while we waited a million years for people to get up on the stage. None of those "interesting tales" actually had any bearing on the awards. There were actually some other convoluted stories of super-extensive million-hour work sessions where the costume did not place in this year's competition.
Except for the "Judge's Awards" (where each individual judge can pick out a costume to highlight for absolutely any personal reason they wish) all winning entires were derived on a scaled point by point system per various criteria and compared to each other on a grading curve for the assortment we had this particular contest. The winners won by numbers alone, but I figured it was *way* too boring to go into the mathmatical formulas on-stage since anyone who had not been participated in the contest themselves (i.e. the majority of the audience) would have nothing to connect to.

Yeah, and just to get this out there…uh, I am not really into *any* Japanese media these days (certainly nothing that is older than 2005 or so) - so in my case, none of my preferred current rabid fandoms could have even entered the contest anyway, as per Youma's masquerade rules. So on that note, I'd like to think I am particularily unbiased towards all of the entries. >XD And I would submit that the rest of the panel of judges were also behaving in a fair and professional manner to all eligible submissions, regardless of any insights/interests/obsessions. We've all got years and years of judging a ton of different contests by now (I'm on year 7 just for Youma myself) and we stick to the interview itself alone for choosing the top choices of the year. (And just to check-and-balance that claim, none of the various judges' "favorite" or familiar series even remotely overlap as far as I could tell.)

And...man. I think at this point, I am acquainted with just about every cosplayer I ever see, so it's gonna be hard to avoid "friends" entering. O_o
(Also, I'm *much* harder on people the more of their costuming resume I'm familiar with, as I will not only compare their current entry with the current contest competition, but also to what I know they are capable of based on their own past work.)

Yui
Live Programming Staff

Postby Yui » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:26 am

AlgusUnderdunk wrote:
Chamelion wrote:
HimeNoToki wrote:Half-time entertainment - I was really put off by this at the Masquerade. Especially the bad taste in jokes. I'm not always the most, uh...politely spoken person, and sometimes I can be a bit vulgar and sarcastic, but this guy even made ME uncomfortable. And it can take a lot for me to have that kind of reaction to anyone. I was very concerned for the children in the audience who had to listen to that.

Unless it's specified an age restricted event I do not feel anything over PG-13 should be said or shown by anyone in the Masquerade or the Staff.

-C

Hm, technically my material didn't go beyond PG-13, but I can see where it was teetering precariously. I'll work to keep it cleaner in the future.

Dude, thanks for future considerations. I have to admit that when we finally made it back from final deliberations with the masq awards in tow, I was stunned and confused that we hadn't even walked into the right room based on what was being said. And I would have immediately walked back out if I wasn't supposed to be there. O_o;; So, that was a very hard stage to follow and kinda flustered many of the judges.

I think next half time show, perhaps all we need do is park The Chair. ^_-
(In all seriousness, though, some possible more-related HT options include showing video from previous years' masq skits. Also, many other conventions I've helped with set up live performance reprises from currently non-competing cosplay groups and/or have cosplay speakers point out some costume/photo/skit tips.)

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby Chamelion » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 am

Yui wrote:
Dude, thanks for future considerations. I have to admit that when we finally made it back from final deliberations with the masq awards in tow, I was stunned and confused that we hadn't even walked into the right room based on what was being said. And I would have immediately walked back out if I wasn't supposed to be there. O_o;; So, that was a very hard stage to follow and kinda flustered many of the judges.

I think next half time show, perhaps all we need do is park The Chair. ^_-
(In all seriousness, though, some possible more-related HT options include showing video from previous years' masq skits. Also, many other conventions I've helped with set up live performance reprises from currently non-competing cosplay groups and/or have cosplay speakers point out some costume/photo/skit tips.)

I'm all for video from previous years winning cosplay skits :)

We certainly have enough I bet to fill a half hour.

C
---------------------------------------
I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.
---------------------------------------

Return to “2012 Memories”