Youmacon 2011 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our seventh year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

SeekingElegance
Video Programming Staff
First Anime: Magic Knight Rayearth

Re: Youmacon 2011 Official Feedback

Postby SeekingElegance » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Kikai wrote:
Otakumals wrote:I have to say my only "complaint" of sorts was the inability to find the Artist Alley DH when I needed her (and Con Ops wasn't much help when I asked them to locate her for me). On Saturday there were a few people selling glowsticks in the Alley, and in the contract we signed it clearly states that only Art is to be sold in the Alley, not store bought merch. I did go up to one of the girls selling the glowsticks, and she pretty much gave me the "Well I could last year so I can this year without Beth's permission" spiel. She continued to sell glowsticks for the rest of the night and no DH or staffer came by to make her remove the glowsticks. I know how much money one can make from selling glowsticks (I do so when I am given express permission when I am promoting Shuto Con), but the AA is just not the place for that kind of stuff. Also, if my feelings are if the artist in question did get permission, then EVERYONE should.

4. Artists Alley is NOT A GARAGE SALE. I had to underline this as we keep having people doing this despite my griping, and their tables were revoked. PLEASE DO NOT DO IT THIS YEAR. Artists Alley is for art productions, not for your old, store-bought merchandise that you wish to get rid of.

15. All Artists must sign a contract . This contract will merely state the rules I have listed above and show that you are understanding of them and willing to comply to them, nothing more. If you refuse to sign the contract, you will not be allowed to keep your table.

Arghhhh THIS THIS THIS THIS. I sat right across from someone selling glowsticks who was supposedly a STAFF artist. That's was very uncool to watch. And there were people selling stickers that were just printed offical artwork. And those pillows being sold were really cute and all, but they were just silhouettes of official artwork. If that's totally allowed then I could have brought in all the official artwork I wanted on sticker paper and made a killing, or sold so many glowsticks to the lounging rave people before it started.

And most bead-sprites are based off of ACTUAL sprites, lots of things come into the mix when you bring in already existing characters. I'm not going to comment on the stickers, and I don't condone the glow stick sellage (not that it detracts from my own sales, I really don't care), I do think the pillows were a unique enough twist (and if you're going to bring a complaint against another artist specifically, I think that should go in the Artist Alley Feedback, not here, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), it's not like they didn't put any effort into them. For the record, I did not purchase one, nor do I even kind of slightly know whoever made them. Just saying.
2013 Cosplay:
THURSDAY: Gwen Stacy (Spider-man)
FRIDAY: Maid Cafe: Lorelai Bunny Meido (Original Design)
FRIDAY: Evening: Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
SATURDAY: Naru Narusegawa [Christmas Ver.] (Love Hina)

Cynical Pink Productions
Visit me in AA or Online!

Kikai
First Anime: Sailor Moon! 8D

Postby Kikai » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46 pm

SeekingElegance wrote:I do think the pillows were a unique enough twist (and if you're going to bring a complaint against another artist specifically, I think that should go in the Artist Alley Feedback, not here,

I did bring it up, but no staff from the AA have responded to topics in that forum thus far, and I was just replying to the topic brought up here. :)

I don't know though, still. I thought the pillows were really cute and I would have bought them... just not in the artist alley. I just don't see that kind of thing belonging in the AA.

SeekingElegance
Video Programming Staff

Postby SeekingElegance » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Kikai wrote:
SeekingElegance wrote:I do think the pillows were a unique enough twist (and if you're going to bring a complaint against another artist specifically, I think that should go in the Artist Alley Feedback, not here,

I did bring it up, but no staff from the AA have responded to topics in that forum thus far, and I was just replying to the topic brought up here. :)

I don't know though, still. I thought the pillows were really cute and I would have bought them... just not in the artist alley. I just don't see that kind of thing belonging in the AA.

=D Fair enough.
2013 Cosplay:

Cynical Pink Productions

Super_Nova
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Super_Nova » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 pm

I had a great time this year. Every con that I've gone to has the same issues as Youma experiences. Some stronger or weaker in some aspects. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here is mine....

IF you were UNHAPPY w/ how Youma went this year, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT for next year. If you choose to not come next year, that is your choice. Please don't make childish remarks about how you might be coming back next year b/c of what occurred this year. (In all honesty, I would prefer that you DID NOT come back next year if you're going to have the same negativity you have now, then. This is supposed to be a great weekend for everyone). IF you do come back, keep an open mind that this is a YOUNG CON, only 6 years old. Otakon was started in 1994, do you really think that the 1st couple of years that everything ran amazing?!?

Realize that this con is strongly supported by VOLUNTEERS who are NOT GETTING PAID TO DO THIS WORK. Yes they do get reimbursed for a 3 day badge but have you even looked into the details of being a volunteer? You have to volunteer a MINIMUM of 16 hrs which is roughly getting paid $3.17 an hour if you work the minimum req'ed. If you had an issue w/ a staff member/volunteer then yes leave your feedback so that it is bought to the department heads. They can not correct something if they do not know about it. I'm sure if Youma could actually PAY ppl to do the work there would be less stress for all parties. Last number I heard was about 400 ppl running this con, 400 ppl vs the predicted 12,000 con goers. You do the math. Then toss in volunteers not even bothering to show up for their shifts & those who did having to work extra hours to cover said shift b/c of that person. Yup, I know I wouldn't be peachy keen about that.

Also here is something to think about, why not volunteer for Youma '12?!? I plan to. Many of y'll have pointed out that it wasn't the staff being rude but the con goers themselves. So let's just take that 1 rude person y'll encountered & times that by let's use a low number, 100. SO you have staff working their azz off to make this weekend amazing for you, encountering 100 rude ppl left & right, still expected to have an attitude of Lil Miss Sunshine, ....do you want fries w/ that too?!? Step up into being a volunteer for a con & realize how much work / planning goes into everything. Sh*t happens, deal w/it, & learn to plan better for next time. I agree there could have been better communication @ events/panels but go back to you have ppl who have LITTLE to NO experience volunteering at a con. & sadly some might have only been focused on getting the req'ed hours in so they could get that free pass. (For some reason, the song from Mulan, "I'll Make a Man Out of You" keeps playing though my head right now...)

The price of badges is DIRECTLY related to guests/events/game room, list goes on. The bigger cons that have those "amazing guest lists" check out the badge prices, $120 @ door Dragon*Con, Otakon $75 @ Door, etc. Please don't tell me that you really expect the guests to "volunteer their time out of the goodness of their heart"?!? I have no problem paying more for a good con. Recently went to another con where I paid $30 for a weekend pass, Artist Alley had maybe 6-9 tables, dealer's room, 4 dealers, yup big dealers room. Went 1 day for maybe 3-4 hours & didn't bother going back. Back to the classic saying, you get what you pay for. If you're going to be cheap then only go to the cheap cons. Problem solved.

I could ramble on but I feel that I've spent enough time on this. Looking forward to the interesting feedback that I'm sure I'll get for this ramble.

BTW, just wanted to tell the staff that I had an awesome time & thanks for y'lls hard work. Already looking forward to an amazing time next year.
I’m Pretty, but I’m not Beautiful. I Sin, but I’m not the Devil. I’m Good, but I’m not an Angel.

Lina
Video Programming Staff

Postby Lina » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Super_Nova wrote:I had a great time this year. Every con that I've gone to has the same issues as Youma experiences. Some stronger or weaker in some aspects. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here is mine....

IF you were UNHAPPY w/ how Youma went this year, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT for next year. If you choose to not come next year, that is your choice. Please don't make childish remarks about how you might be coming back next year b/c of what occurred this year. (In all honesty, I would prefer that you DID NOT come back next year if you're going to have the same negativity you have now, then. This is supposed to be a great weekend for everyone). IF you do come back, keep an open mind that this is a YOUNG CON, only 6 years old. Otakon was started in 1994, do you really think that the 1st couple of years that everything ran amazing?!?

Realize that this con is strongly supported by VOLUNTEERS who are NOT GETTING PAID TO DO THIS WORK. Yes they do get reimbursed for a 3 day badge but have you even looked into the details of being a volunteer? You have to volunteer a MINIMUM of 16 hrs which is roughly getting paid $3.17 an hour if you work the minimum req'ed. If you had an issue w/ a staff member/volunteer then yes leave your feedback so that it is bought to the department heads. They can not correct something if they do not know about it. I'm sure if Youma could actually PAY ppl to do the work there would be less stress for all parties. Last number I heard was about 400 ppl running this con, 400 ppl vs the predicted 12,000 con goers. You do the math. Then toss in volunteers not even bothering to show up for their shifts & those who did having to work extra hours to cover said shift b/c of that person. Yup, I know I wouldn't be peachy keen about that.

Also here is something to think about, why not volunteer for Youma '12?!? I plan to. Many of y'll have pointed out that it wasn't the staff being rude but the con goers themselves. So let's just take that 1 rude person y'll encountered & times that by let's use a low number, 100. SO you have staff working their azz off to make this weekend amazing for you, encountering 100 rude ppl left & right, still expected to have an attitude of Lil Miss Sunshine, ....do you want fries w/ that too?!? Step up into being a volunteer for a con & realize how much work / planning goes into everything. Sh*t happens, deal w/it, & learn to plan better for next time. I agree there could have been better communication @ events/panels but go back to you have ppl who have LITTLE to NO experience volunteering at a con. & sadly some might have only been focused on getting the req'ed hours in so they could get that free pass. (For some reason, the song from Mulan, "I'll Make a Man Out of You" keeps playing though my head right now...)

The price of badges is DIRECTLY related to guests/events/game room, list goes on. The bigger cons that have those "amazing guest lists" check out the badge prices, $120 @ door Dragon*Con, Otakon $75 @ Door, etc. Please don't tell me that you really expect the guests to "volunteer their time out of the goodness of their heart"?!? I have no problem paying more for a good con. Recently went to another con where I paid $30 for a weekend pass, Artist Alley had maybe 6-9 tables, dealer's room, 4 dealers, yup big dealers room. Went 1 day for maybe 3-4 hours & didn't bother going back. Back to the classic saying, you get what you pay for. If you're going to be cheap then only go to the cheap cons. Problem solved.

I could ramble on but I feel that I've spent enough time on this. Looking forward to the interesting feedback that I'm sure I'll get for this ramble.

BTW, just wanted to tell the staff that I had an awesome time & thanks for y'lls hard work. Already looking forward to an amazing time next year.

Where is the like button when you need it? I completely 100% agree.

Youma '12 Cosplays:
Black Canary [DC] - 99%, Rarity [My Little Pony] - 90%, Fluttershy [My Little Pony] - 30%

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH

Postby ngsilver » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Yeah.... nuf said :D

Soul Eat3R
First Anime: Happy Lesson

Postby Soul Eat3R » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 pm

The_Original_UberCuber wrote:
Soul Eat3R wrote:
John St. John was rude especially Friday night (Quote from the man himself " that's whyI don't like these kinda Cons to attend to")

Are you talking about the same Jon St. John that came to Youma? Because that's not the impression he gave off at his panel Sunday morning. In fact, it seemed like he had a hell of a good time and even said himself that he'd be completely willing to come back next year if he was asked. We also might have convinced him to give anime a try.

Then again, maybe you just ran into him before his bromance with Sonny Strait

Or because he was very and I mean VERY Intoxicated after the T4S 18+ panel and he wanted people to stick around for a late late nite panel he wanted to do. Rumor was after he was done saying inapproprate words and done with his panel he bough whoever was still there Subway. Different huh :shock:
Attending since 07...YESSIR!!

Soul Eat3R
First Anime: Happy Lesson

Postby Soul Eat3R » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 pm

ngsilver wrote:Image

BOSS
Attending since 07...YESSIR!!

SeekingElegance
Video Programming Staff

Postby SeekingElegance » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 am

Hah! Love it.
2013 Cosplay:

Cynical Pink Productions

RAWowner333
Dealers Staff

Postby RAWowner333 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:25 am

Super_Nova wrote:I had a great time this year. Every con that I've gone to has the same issues as Youma experiences. Some stronger or weaker in some aspects. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here is mine....

^^^ THIIIIISSSSSS
THAAANNNKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :))

i love you random internet stranger!

onestar
First Anime: Why is this a required field?
Location: I'm not sayin' that I'm the best, but uh, it's kinda obvious from the way you're hatin' on me

Postby onestar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 am

Oh wow, when did I even make that? Did you salvage that from the other thread?
The Velvet Room | Metagame 3 | How to Con: Elegant Garden Party | to be revealed | to be revealed | Youmacon Achievements 2014

Mimiru
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: DragonBall Z

Postby Mimiru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:36 am

For one thing I appreciate everything the staff and volunteers did for us during the convention!

One thing i will NOT tolerate, however, is being yelled at by security when we were doing NOTHING wrong but taking pictures with our One piece group.
It was saturday night, the last full night we all had together and what happens? A security guard completely freaks out on us for being in (and I quote) "his section of the hotel with shirtless guys" It wouldnt have been that big of a deal if he had just asked us kindly to move our shoot, thats no problem. BUT!

He blatantly disrespected us and our group, a complete (lack of better word) ****. There was no reason for his behavior towards us, especially if they were informed ahead of the convention and some of the 'dress' habits of some of its attendees. There is no reason for him to treat a guest like that, complete disrespect when we did nothing but want to take a few pictures in a quieter area of the hotel/convention center and we were nothing but cooperative and respectful back to him.

Another thing is when I heard a guard cuss at another con-goer, once again this is NOT acceptable by any means, I dont care if he didnt have his shirt on (beacuse once more it was a cosplay and they may've or shouldve been informed) there was no reason for the guard to be all "put your **** shirt on your not at home!" no reason for it, if he had just asked once more it wouldnt have bothered but really? Is that really neccessary?

I think not.

I tried not to let it ruin my weekend, but it seemed like any security guard I encountered was either rude or disrespectful. Like...one wouldnt even let us onto the elevator with him when we were only going to the 40th floor and he was going to the 60th or something like that, he blatantly told us no and if it wasnt for a nicer guard telling him otherwise we wouldve had to wait another 30 minutes or so for an elevator to get our stuff from our room so we could check out.

I know that cons are stresssful for the staff, security, etc. But there isnt any reason to treat someone like crap just because your in a pissy mood or what have you. I felt completely insulted and appalled that men of the 'law' were going to act this way.

Detroit's Finest? I think not. Seriously, the guards were rude and disrespectful to me, my sister, my cousin and my friends at every turn and that is NOT acceptable int he slightest and it makes it hard to really trust these men when they are being as such <: /!

That's all I gotta say.
2012 Youmacon Line Up;
Sanji (One Piece)
Cana Alberona (Fairy Tail)
**** Tier Aradia (Homestuck)
Dead Aradia(?) (homestuck)

Neotestament
Gaming DH
First Anime: Robotech

Postby Neotestament » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:30 am

I had an attendee punch the mini crane machine no less than 9 times. And he wasn't the only attendee to resort to physical violence.

I had bite mark on the zip ties that hold my controllers down.

I had someone take a L4D2 disk when I had to close the room down for rewiring.

I have attendees turning up the volume on every tv to max which blows out speakers, and when we turn them down to a decent or maybe even slightly quick level we get threated. (Keep in mind, you turn one tv up and then everyone else does)

I had to buy a metal drum set for Rock Band to ensure it would make it through the year. Real percussionists don't even do to sets what people have done in the past.

I have had an attendee decide he knew how to fix the computer and started deleting files.

I have had "play" fights break out in my room, only to be there just in time to catch the tv on it's way to the floor.

I have had attendees, upon our openning, push staffers aside to make it into our game room.

When we were breaking fire codes and I had to limit the amount of people in (1 in 1 out), while explaining this an attendee just blinked at me and continued to walk in. When I stopped them. They said they were pushed, even though the closest human to them was me and I was 5 feet away.

Thankfully "do you know how much these shoes cost" guy wasn't around or drinking.

And I can't even count the amount of times someone has stomped off or growled literally at me because they didn't have their badge.

One of my staffers got head-butted because he turned the Dance Central 2 sound down to match all the others.

Oh were all smiles! Please sir, would you like to punch me will I let you break/steal $1000 in equipment.

So. All smooth sailing on this side. Thanks for those who enjoy the room that is.

tsukeru

Postby tsukeru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:50 am

I have to step in to say something about the cost about the badge. I would be happy to pay the price of the badge if there were guests there that I actually wanted to see. Dragon*Con, Otakon... all get guest that are well-known (and not so less known). Look at Dragon*Con for example, they had 11+ guests and this is already for 2012!, including musical guests. I know for a fact, that this is what really bugs me about Youmacon. Please, for the love of ****, get a new guest line up list for 2012.
2012 Cosplay Plans:
Princess Bubblegum - Adventure Time (tart dress)
Frodo Baggins - Lord of the Rings
Kiyone Makibi - Tenchi Muyo

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tsukeru

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:13 am

Soul Eat3R wrote:
The_Original_UberCuber wrote:
Soul Eat3R wrote:
John St. John was rude especially Friday night (Quote from the man himself " that's whyI don't like these kinda Cons to attend to")

Are you talking about the same Jon St. John that came to Youma? Because that's not the impression he gave off at his panel Sunday morning. In fact, it seemed like he had a hell of a good time and even said himself that he'd be completely willing to come back next year if he was asked. We also might have convinced him to give anime a try.

Then again, maybe you just ran into him before his bromance with Sonny Strait

Or because he was very and I mean VERY Intoxicated after the T4S 18+ panel and he wanted people to stick around for a late late nite panel he wanted to do. Rumor was after he was done saying inapproprate words and done with his panel he bough whoever was still there Subway. Different huh :shock:

You do realize that he isn't the first (or for that matter, only) guest to get drunk at Youmacon, right? Him and Sonny were walking around and talking to people in the artist's alley and I really didn't hear anything bad from that other than him telling some woman to go out with her boyfriend or something like that
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

Return to “2011 Memories”