Youmacon 2011 Official Feedback

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our seventh year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Kikai
First Anime: Sailor Moon! 8D

Re: Youmacon 2011 Official Feedback

Postby Kikai » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:11 am

dairylives wrote:
i feel like im taking crazy pills. I never said stating it on here was a bad thing. In fact, thats the best way to go about it. " hey, i noticed some guy was allowed to peddle glow sticks" can someone clarify the rules for either him or i?" would be the best way to handle it. I haven't been rude, so please don't pretend to have some sort of higher ground here by telling me to stop voicing my opinion.

dairylives wrote:"I haven't been rude"

dairylives wrote:Unfortunately, especially at cons, things arent always fair and being a baby about not being allowed to do something makes you look like a sore loser. I get that there are rules, but whining and tattling about it is probably the absolute worst way to go about it.

dairylives wrote:as an AA participant you have no business getting to decide what goes on at AA. You can report stuff, but then you look petty and juvenile.

dairylives wrote:geezus, what kind of artist are you? Who gives a **** what other people are selling? I can't for the life of me understand why some people, especially creative people, can't just mind their own business and let people do what they want. Obviously Youmacon had no problem with these people selling this stuff , so don't worry about it. I can't help but picture that kid in elementary school who would run around and tattle on people for no good reason. people hate tattle tales.

And just to quote Hikaru back in the AA forum since it's pretty obvious you haven't checked there about this issue and what she says about it...

Hikaru0 wrote:As for the glowsticks, I'd already told two people to take what they had out, down, but it seems they ignored me later.

I can not stress enough that glowsticks are FORBIDDEN. Some dealers will not return if they find artists selling glowsticks. Why, I couldn't tell you, but that's how it's been.

Next year there will be an official, legal contract for all artists to sign, and if anyone is found breaking it, they will be EJECTED from the alley and possibly the convention itself.

Apparently someone still doesn't get that the AA is for things you made, and not merchandise? I hope this post has both enlightened your knowledge of the rules and your own attitude a bit!

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 am

Kikai wrote:
dairylives wrote:
i feel like im taking crazy pills. I never said stating it on here was a bad thing. In fact, thats the best way to go about it. " hey, i noticed some guy was allowed to peddle glow sticks" can someone clarify the rules for either him or i?" would be the best way to handle it. I haven't been rude, so please don't pretend to have some sort of higher ground here by telling me to stop voicing my opinion.

dairylives wrote:"I haven't been rude"

dairylives wrote:Unfortunately, especially at cons, things arent always fair and being a baby about not being allowed to do something makes you look like a sore loser. I get that there are rules, but whining and tattling about it is probably the absolute worst way to go about it.

dairylives wrote:as an AA participant you have no business getting to decide what goes on at AA. You can report stuff, but then you look petty and juvenile.

dairylives wrote:geezus, what kind of artist are you? Who gives a **** what other people are selling? I can't for the life of me understand why some people, especially creative people, can't just mind their own business and let people do what they want. Obviously Youmacon had no problem with these people selling this stuff , so don't worry about it. I can't help but picture that kid in elementary school who would run around and tattle on people for no good reason. people hate tattle tales.

And just to quote Hikaru back in the AA forum since it's pretty obvious you haven't checked there about this issue and what she says about it...

Hikaru0 wrote:As for the glowsticks, I'd already told two people to take what they had out, down, but it seems they ignored me later.

I can not stress enough that glowsticks are FORBIDDEN. Some dealers will not return if they find artists selling glowsticks. Why, I couldn't tell you, but that's how it's been.

Next year there will be an official, legal contract for all artists to sign, and if anyone is found breaking it, they will be EJECTED from the alley and possibly the convention itself.

Apparently someone still doesn't get that the AA is for things you made, and not merchandise? I hope this post has both enlightened your knowledge of the rules and your own attitude a bit!

is this real life?
not one single time did i say that glowsticks were allowed, not one single time did i say they should be allowed. Not one time did i rudely address anyone. people need thicker skin if those quoted things are considered "insults" or even "rude". I'm just being honest. Someone going around and whining about what other people selling at a con, unprovoked, is someone being petty and intrusive. Let these people figure out this stuff for themselves. Thats all ive ever said. I pray to **** that you actually read this and understand what im saying so i don't have to repeat myself again.
Last edited by dairylives on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kikai

Postby Kikai » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 am

dairylives wrote:
is this real life?
not one single time did i say that glowsticks were allowed, not one single time did i say they should be allowed. Not one time did i rudely address anyone. people need thicker skin if those quoted things are considered "insults" or even "rude". I'm just being honest. Someone going around and whining about what other people selling at a con, unprovoked, is someone being petty and intrusive. Let these people figure out this stuff for themselves. Thats all ive ever said. I pray to **** that you actually read this and understand what im saying so i don't have to repeat myself again.

Stop digging, dude. You're deep enough as it is. A mod asked you to let it go, I'd assumed you got that by now.

[L33t m0d 1337][Already been noted. Please take this argument to PMs. This is no longer about providing feedback and has stopped being a civil disagreement and proper discussion posts ago.]

On a thankfully unrelated note -- are there more food options in Cobo? Because of being in the AA all day I didn't eat util late at night, when everything else was closed except subway, mcdonald's, etc. I was so tired of fast food by the end of the weekend and it seemed like there was no place that delivered to the hotel.

Lina
Video Programming Staff

Postby Lina » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:12 am

Kikai wrote:
dairylives wrote:
is this real life?

Stop digging, dude. You're deep enough as it is. A mod asked you to let it go, I'd assumed you got that by now.

On a thankfully unrelated note -- are there more food options in Cobo? Because of being in the AA all day I didn't eat util late at night, when everything else was closed except subway, mcdonald's, etc. I was so tired of fast food by the end of the weekend and it seemed like there was no place that delivered to the hotel.

I wanna say around 8 or so some fellow staff members and I ordered pizza from Papa Johns and they delivered to the Ren Cen. I don't know if you like Papa Johns Pizza, but I figured I'd let you know since they deliver to the Ren Cen.

Youma '12 Cosplays:
Black Canary [DC] - 99%, Rarity [My Little Pony] - 90%, Fluttershy [My Little Pony] - 30%

Kikai

Postby Kikai » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 am

Lina wrote:I wanna say around 8 or so some fellow staff members and I ordered pizza from Papa Johns and they delivered to the Ren Cen. I don't know if you like Papa Johns Pizza, but I figured I'd let you know since they deliver to the Ren Cen.

Yeah... This was at like midnight XD We ended up staying very late on Saturday. It was strange, we called a couple places and they answered saying they were closed, but then looking up their times this would have been like two hours after they closed. Why would they answer the phone if they had been closed for two hours? D:

edit: I should mention that I live in chicago and am used to hopping on grub hub to find food past midnight. i didn't realize how attached to it i was until youmacon... :c

Lina
Video Programming Staff

Postby Lina » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 am

Kikai wrote:
Lina wrote:I wanna say around 8 or so some fellow staff members and I ordered pizza from Papa Johns and they delivered to the Ren Cen. I don't know if you like Papa Johns Pizza, but I figured I'd let you know since they deliver to the Ren Cen.

Yeah... This was at like midnight XD We ended up staying very late on Saturday. It was strange, we called a couple places and they answered saying they were closed, but then looking up their times this would have been like two hours after they closed. Why would they answer the phone if they had been closed for two hours? D:

edit: I should mention that I live in chicago and am used to hopping on grub hub to find food past midnight. i didn't realize how attached to it i was until youmacon... :c

Papa Johns is usually open late. The one we ordered from delivers 'til 12:30 and do carryouts 'til 12:10. At least you know for next year if it's getting late you can always call them. lol

Luckily I've never really had a problem with trying to find food late at night. I usually find something to snack on at home. lol Or I run on over to Wal-Mart and pick something up. lol

Youma '12 Cosplays:
Black Canary [DC] - 99%, Rarity [My Little Pony] - 90%, Fluttershy [My Little Pony] - 30%

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:59 am

Kikai wrote:On a thankfully unrelated note -- are there more food options in Cobo? Because of being in the AA all day I didn't eat util late at night, when everything else was closed except subway, mcdonald's, etc. I was so tired of fast food by the end of the weekend and it seemed like there was no place that delivered to the hotel.

I remember when I was at the Detroit Fanfare, they had a few snack stands inside the hall, alongside a coffee shop and a fancier snack stand in the lobby of it. Other than that, I don't remember seeing anything like the food court in the Ren Cen
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

Alois is so fancy
First Anime: inyuasha,paranoia agent, cowboy bebop,

Postby Alois is so fancy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 pm

might i just say...
IT WAS THE BEST CON EVERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!~~~~
CANT WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR~
>//u//< so many people find me weird for cosplaying and my family thinks i'm a nerdy lesbian for it....
but it doesn't stop me from going to youmacon! xD
I love the art, the dearlers room, the events and the game room.
i just wanna thank everyone for making old boring crappy Detroit into the next anime hot spot.

Also, everyone at the youmacon was very nice and amazing, not even my whole school or family combined treats me better than
how the people at youmacon do. It's like... we all have this connection that wont melt away. <3

soo yea... plus the youmacon inspired me to be a cosplay model, and hopefully soon enough, i can travel the world to different cons on my own so i can meet new people and new adventuress~
Image "Youmacon 2011 cosplays: NEko alois trancy with "y u no love me sighn" & lolita rave girl with "y u no love me" sighn

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Kikai wrote:
dairylives wrote:
is this real life?

you realize this false superiority act youre trying to pass off is trolling and "uncalled for" as well, right? Here's something to remember, you don't get to tell posters what to do on this site.

the mod was out of line, my comments were misunderstood, and any sort of explanation of my comments has been ignorned in favor of rude dismissal. Thats why i keep doing this, its all just principle at this point, to be honest.

[L33t m0d 1337][Already been noted. Please take this argument to PMs. This is no longer about providing feedback and has stopped being a civil disagreement and proper discussion posts ago.]

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:11 pm

enough, both of you.

One more post on this nonsense and i go for an admin.

www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

EdrickV
First Anime: Robotech

Postby EdrickV » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Kikai wrote:

Not sure specifically about that date/time, but there were food vendors that setup at various places. (I believe there was one late in the hotel lobby, and was one near the Wintergarden at times. I'm thinking the lobby one was probably open around midnight.) Didn't eat at any of them so can't vouch for the food quality. :)
Youmacon 2012 Pictures: viewtopic.php?p=266173#p266173
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:
FF1 Red Mage, Pokemon Scientist Trainer from B/W
Pictures include Pokemon, Final Fantasy, CLAMP, photoshoots and Misc. pics

SiShenDao
Gaming Staff

Postby SiShenDao » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:37 am

Minus 2 or 3 attendees I saw while wandering the halls, I think this year was definitely improved a lot. The hallways didn't feel as crowded and the elevators didn't look like a giant a mass of people. After last year's line issue I pretty much decided not to attend any of the events simply due to the increased number of people this year, so I'm glad we're probably expanding next year. The only real problem attendee I saw was this guy in a sleeveless shirt was walking down the hall sounding like he was trying to talk "gansta" I suppose, and then spat on the carpet. Honestly I found it disgusting and I would have told him off, but he was with 3-5 other guys and they were all definitely taller than me and I was much too tired to think of anything besides food at that point. Minus that guy every other attendee I met were really pleasant and were willing to listen to me when I had to ask them to move out the way or I just had a nice quick chat such as with EdrickV in the elevator sunday morning(I think it was you?), so special shout out to the attendees I interacted with.

EdrickV
First Anime: Robotech

Postby EdrickV » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:50 am

SiShenDao wrote:Minus 2 or 3 attendees I saw while wandering the halls, I think this year was definitely improved a lot. The hallways didn't feel as crowded and the elevators didn't look like a giant a mass of people. After last year's line issue I pretty much decided not to attend any of the events simply due to the increased number of people this year, so I'm glad we're probably expanding next year. The only real problem attendee I saw was this guy in a sleeveless shirt was walking down the hall sounding like he was trying to talk "gansta" I suppose, and then spat on the carpet. Honestly I found it disgusting and I would have told him off, but he was with 3-5 other guys and they were all definitely taller than me and I was much too tired to think of anything besides food at that point. Minus that guy every other attendee I met were really pleasant and were willing to listen to me when I had to ask them to move out the way or I just had a nice quick chat such as with EdrickV in the elevator sunday morning(I think it was you?), so special shout out to the attendees I interacted with.

Not sure if it was me or not. I know I didn't use the central elevators much Sunday, and I was not in costume.
Youmacon 2012 Pictures: viewtopic.php?p=266173#p266173
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:
FF1 Red Mage, Pokemon Scientist Trainer from B/W
Pictures include Pokemon, Final Fantasy, CLAMP, photoshoots and Misc. pics

MissGyk
First Anime: Death Note and Higurashi

Postby MissGyk » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Well, the con itself was great, but I had an Artist's Alley issue and I tried to e-mail the Youmacon staff about it and I have yet to hear back from them. ^_^"
Youmacon 2014:
    Beatrice (Umineko)
    Remillia Scarlet (Touhou)
    Personal **** Tier - Prince of Time (Homestuck OC)

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 pm

MissGyk wrote:Well, the con itself was great, but I had an Artist's Alley issue and I tried to e-mail the Youmacon staff about it and I have yet to hear back from them. ^_^"

If your email is the one I'm thinking of, I'm still looking into getting a response from other staff about your request. I will reply to your email as soon as I get a response.

Return to “2011 Memories”