Official Youmacon 2010 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our sixth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

KawaiiVannaChan

Re: Official Youmacon 2010 Feedback Thread

Postby KawaiiVannaChan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm

I've attended Youmacon since it began...and I went all three days this year as well. I'm gonna try really hard to condense this down so it doesn't turn into a mega-rant because I did still have a LOT of fun but here were the most prominent frustrations occurring for me:

Waiting in line for 2 1/2 hours on Friday to pick up the 3-Day badge that I had already paid for months in advance was not only a huge annoyance, it caused me to miss the one photoshoot I would have been able to be apart of (Fullmetal Alchemist) I heard there was absolutely no problem for pre-reggers that were able to get in on Thursday and get theirs, but I wasn't able to get there until 5pm Fri and in previous Youmacon experiences, Friday at 5pm for a Pre-reg line has been extremely non-existent (Seriously, I've gotten out of work early every year, gotten to the con around 5pm on Friday every year and just walked in and picked up my badge...never had a line like this for Youma before :( )

Absolutely NO Signs indicating Pre-reg vs. regular Registration lines, the poor woman standing in line behind me (who had also Pre-regged) had been waiting in the wrong line by herself for *2 hours* before a staffer yelled down the line which line it was. She then walked over to the Pre-reg line and stood in the Pre-reg line with us for our 2+ hours, (poor woman!)

My Fiance and another friend got there early Friday as they were only going for the one day. After waiting in line for a 1/2 hour they were informed that badges could be bought with cash only. I understand the line didn't move for the first hour, so it was probably because the credit card processing was down, but it was also a rough start for the day as a bunch of people had to get out of line and run to the ATM.

Getting yelled at by staffers that we couldn't step out of Pre-reg line to go to the restroom. Seriously. When you're standing in line for more then 2 hours and have a bladder the size of a chihuahua (like me?) This only serves to make you more irritated. If they were concerned about 'cutting' I'm pretty sure the people standing in front of/behind me in line were pretty aware that I was there with them the whole two plus hours lol.

While standing in the insane pre-reg line; having my eardrums assaulted upon every two minutes by one of the staffers who felt the need to *continually* yell at people in the line over the megaphone/radio built into their military-esque costume was also extremely NOT fun.

I understand completely the need to 'keep order' in such cramped quarters when line goers can potentially block hallway movement; but when said staffer is 10 steps away from the (oblivious) person they keep screaming at, and they continue to just YELL at the person instead of walking the 10 steps over to get their attention calmly and ask them to stick closer to the wall? Unnecessary.

Having maps of the three floors Youmacon used in the 'Youmanomicon' was a great idea...but when you don't get that until *after* you have to find your way up from the parking lot to Level 3 and to the registration line? It's really hard to find your way to the right line without any SIGNS telling you where to go!

Again SIGNS, or NOTES in the guide book would have been extremely helpful here: Not pointing out where escalators were and where they would take you was also extremely NOT helpful. The way I understand it, most people didn't even realize they existed because of the maze the RenCen is; We did not want to even attempt the Elevators, but found out the hard way (i.e. trial and error and getting lost) how the escalators only take you every HALF floor and how they were scattered around the floors.

Having a layout of the surrounding streets of the Detroit area along with how to get from street level to the con on the front page of the website BEFORE the con would have been extremely helpful.

As it was, getting from the streets of Detroit to the Con was a quest in and of itself...if not for several helpful Detroit business commuters an entire crowd of us would have been utterly lost.

I understand the foodcourt on the ground level was the reason for the lack of ConSuite, but not providing a MAP or LIST of the available eateries, and the *hours they were open* would have been a godsend as they all closed so early in the day.

This was probably just me, but it seemed scheduling of panels was really odd this year. Usually there's one (or two) really popular panels an hour with several other great (but admittedly not as popular) panels going on at the same time...this year it seemed the most popular panels/events were scheduled first thing in the morning, or at the same time as two other panels that would be really popular: For example, Saturday Morning at 9AM there were the Avatar, Shugo Chara and Fruits Basket Panels (all at the same time) with the Music Video contest going on as well during this time with the 'Cosplay:because nobody actually looks like that' and 'Inuyasha' and 'Cosplay 101' panels were at the same time etc. Also the Potter Puppet Pals Panel being first thing on Sunday morning, when people are the most tired from staying up late from Saturday parties seemed odd, I would think that would be at Noon.

Regardless of how huge this post is, I still had a lot of fun with fellow con-goers and at the panels and Artists Alley/Dealers room, and can't wait to go again next year as I know the staff will figure ways around a lot of the issues we ran into this year.
~*~KawaiiVannaChan~*~

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Youmacon has never yet accepted anything other than cash in US funds for on-site registration. I don't know if/when that will change or not, but just thought I'd clarify that.

Wings of Mana
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby Wings of Mana » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 pm

KawaiiVannaChan wrote:I understand the foodcourt on the ground level was the reason for the lack of ConSuite, but not providing a MAP or LIST of the available eateries, and the *hours they were open* would have been a godsend as they all closed so early in the day.

Most Cons I've gone to don't normally tell you the nearby places to eat or their operating hours. The only time I've had that luxury was Youma in 2006. However, the con did compensate the early closingness of it all by having a cart outside of the mariott starting around 9ish for there to still be food.

There was a paper you could grab over at the front of the registration line letting people know this. It also gave you helpful information about breakfast (for when the foodcourt also wasn't open), so food was never an issue for me.
Cons Attendance Status:
Youmacon 2011: Attended
Anime North 2012: Yes.
********** 2012: Hopefully.

shamrock2lilly
First Anime: Sailor moon/ Dragon Ball

Postby shamrock2lilly » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:04 pm

KawaiiVannaChan wrote:never had a line like this for Youma before :( )

Absolutely NO Signs indicating Pre-reg vs. regular Registration lines, the poor woman standing in line behind me (who had also Pre-regged) had been waiting in the wrong line by herself for *2 hours* before a staffer yelled down the line which line it was. She then walked over to the Pre-reg line and stood in the Pre-reg line with us for our 2+ hours, (poor woman!)

First we have never had lines like this because we never had this many people, 9,000 = MAJOR shock! To top it off there was not enough staff at the registration booth because the hotel gave us that tiny space to work with.

Unfortunately we had very little available to us this year around. Last year the Hyatt knew us and the chaos that would be youmacon and had all those small things we needed available like signs. This year there was no such luck. The hotel did not think we would have the 6,000 people we told them we would have in the beginning, let alone 9,000. They were completely unprepared for what happened. They have learned their lesson, I am sure of that.

Also in regards to the maps and guides there has been a post that people have been posting on since 2009 about Detroit, the layout, surrounding restaurants, and maps of the building. I know it would be great to have guides in advanced and that is defiantly something to work on for next year. The good news is, you now have a map! The panels may not be the same and some of the things, like the registration desk (I hope), will change. The main programming and its major events will most likely stay in the room it was at the times they were this year,and the ambassador rooms will most likely stay for all of the larger panels. This should cut down on confusion on how it will go down next year and now that you all have kindly pointed out the problems, the con admins can now sort everything out and make it a wonderful con in 2011. The first con in a new venue has ALWAYS been an issue for every con there ever was. Now that all the staff from out of state have seen the space (and yes many do not live near Detroit or Michigan for that matter) I can imagine that the panel schedule and layout for many things will get rearranged for next year. Hopefully there can be some way to make the registration flow smoother, but this year everyone was just simply blind sided by the amount of people and the strange surroundings, and we did the best we could with what we had.

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:54 am

KawaiiVannaChan wrote:I've attended Youmacon since it began...and I went all three days this year as well. I'm gonna try really hard to condense this down so it doesn't turn into a mega-rant because I did still have a LOT of fun but here were the most prominent frustrations occurring for me:

Waiting in line for 2 1/2 hours on Friday to pick up the 3-Day badge that I had already paid for months in advance was not only a huge annoyance, it caused me to miss the one photoshoot I would have been able to be apart of (Fullmetal Alchemist) I heard there was absolutely no problem for pre-reggers that were able to get in on Thursday and get theirs, but I wasn't able to get there until 5pm Fri and in previous Youmacon experiences, Friday at 5pm for a Pre-reg line has been extremely non-existent (Seriously, I've gotten out of work early every year, gotten to the con around 5pm on Friday every year and just walked in and picked up my badge...never had a line like this for Youma before :( )

My Fiance and another friend got there early Friday as they were only going for the one day. After waiting in line for a 1/2 hour they were informed that badges could be bought with cash only. I understand the line didn't move for the first hour, so it was probably because the credit card processing was down, but it was also a rough start for the day as a bunch of people had to get out of line and run to the ATM.

Getting yelled at by staffers that we couldn't step out of Pre-reg line to go to the restroom. Seriously. When you're standing in line for more then 2 hours and have a bladder the size of a chihuahua (like me?) This only serves to make you more irritated. If they were concerned about 'cutting' I'm pretty sure the people standing in front of/behind me in line were pretty aware that I was there with them the whole two plus hours lol.

While standing in the insane pre-reg line; having my eardrums assaulted upon every two minutes by one of the staffers who felt the need to *continually* yell at people in the line over the megaphone/radio built into their military-esque costume was also extremely NOT fun.

I understand completely the need to 'keep order' in such cramped quarters when line goers can potentially block hallway movement; but when said staffer is 10 steps away from the (oblivious) person they keep screaming at, and they continue to just YELL at the person instead of walking the 10 steps over to get their attention calmly and ask them to stick closer to the wall? Unnecessary.

Having maps of the three floors Youmacon used in the 'Youmanomicon' was a great idea...but when you don't get that until *after* you have to find your way up from the parking lot to Level 3 and to the registration line? It's really hard to find your way to the right line without any SIGNS telling you where to go!

Again SIGNS, or NOTES in the guide book would have been extremely helpful here: Not pointing out where escalators were and where they would take you was also extremely NOT helpful. The way I understand it, most people didn't even realize they existed because of the maze the RenCen is; We did not want to even attempt the Elevators, but found out the hard way (i.e. trial and error and getting lost) how the escalators only take you every HALF floor and how they were scattered around the floors.

Having a layout of the surrounding streets of the Detroit area along with how to get from street level to the con on the front page of the website BEFORE the con would have been extremely helpful.

As it was, getting from the streets of Detroit to the Con was a quest in and of itself...if not for several helpful Detroit business commuters an entire crowd of us would have been utterly lost.

I understand the foodcourt on the ground level was the reason for the lack of ConSuite, but not providing a MAP or LIST of the available eateries, and the *hours they were open* would have been a godsend as they all closed so early in the day.

This was probably just me, but it seemed scheduling of panels was really odd this year. Usually there's one (or two) really popular panels an hour with several other great (but admittedly not as popular) panels going on at the same time...this year it seemed the most popular panels/events were scheduled first thing in the morning, or at the same time as two other panels that would be really popular: For example, Saturday Morning at 9AM there were the Avatar, Shugo Chara and Fruits Basket Panels (all at the same time) with the Music Video contest going on as well during this time with the 'Cosplay:because nobody actually looks like that' and 'Inuyasha' and 'Cosplay 101' panels were at the same time etc. Also the Potter Puppet Pals Panel being first thing on Sunday morning, when people are the most tired from staying up late from Saturday parties seemed odd, I would think that would be at Noon.

Regardless of how huge this post is, I still had a lot of fun with fellow con-goers and at the panels and Artists Alley/Dealers room, and can't wait to go again next year as I know the staff will figure ways around a lot of the issues we ran into this year.

sounds like you want the con to hold your hand in just about everything. find the best routes to places by yourself, figure out where the lines are yourself, find out where you can eat, and find where to park. These are pretty basic things that you can easily do, that the con shouldn't have to spoon feed you

VessaSushi
Dealers ADH

Postby VessaSushi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Please keep this a feedback thread, not a 'read other peoples posts, then make snarky comments on them' thread.

~Vessa
Plushthulhu at Youmacon2009 was a success. Let's see what crazy warm mascot cosplay I come up with next!

Sally
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Sally » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm

This was my second time at Youmacon, although I dunno if you can even count my measly 6 hours on Saturday last year as my first time (although I do, LittleKuriboh and Team Four Star are more than enough reason to come back to Youmacon).

Most of the things that I would praise or complain about would probably just be repetitive (I only read the first 10 pages and even then things just started repeating), but I will say the following:

I have absolutely no idea why Team Four Star's panel was once again in a smaller room, but for whatever reason the Youmacon schedulers decided that it would be a good idea to put them in a smaller room for the second year in a row, even though for the first year they had to split the panel in two in order to accommodate everyone in line. Because the schedulers did not learn from this last year, Team Four Star had to do the same thing this year. What makes things even more confounding is that their 18+ panel was in Main Programming and was PACKED, yet their all-ages panel, which you would assume contains more people considering that they have plenty of non-18+ fans, was in a smaller panel room. Makes no sense. PLEASE fix this for next year. If I find that they're in a smaller room again, I WILL complain and ask that they switch rooms... TFS and LittleKuriboh are so much more popular than people seem to believe and it's a shame that people have to miss out on them just because people don't seem to believe that their panels will be jam-packed. And they are so much fun too, some of the very best panels at the entire convention.

I hated having to go down to go up, but it was like I had no choice... I waited for at least a half hour for an elevator on Friday night trying to do things the normal way, but there was just no way that I was going to tolerate people cutting in front of me and others going down to go up, etc, for the whole night while I was standing there in my warm coat and heavy luggage for much longer. But when everyone else is doing it, you don't have that much of a choice. I didn't even bother with the elevators on Sunday, I just went down 30 flights of stairs so that I could check out in time and make it to Potter Puppet Pals.

I agree with whoever said on page 10 that there needs to be an official rule on elevators. When other people break the rules, it becomes an every man for himself situation, and the people who try to follow them end up being the people who lose the fight, unfortunately. If we have signs, if we have staff members taking shifts in the elevators themselves, then maybe things will flow more easily. They'll be able to tell whether or not more people can come on the elevator (there would be people who would force themselves on even after the weight-limit beep sounded, which obviously isn't safe) and give priority to those who are handicapped or pregnant.

Everyone knows about the registration problems, everyone knows that it needs to be severely improved for next year... I am all for sending badges in the mail. Please consider this.

I really loved the space even though it was confusing and tight. The confusion of it is half the fun, lol.

For those of you complaining about the coldness of your bedrooms, just turn up the heat. It was set at 70 in my room and the windows were drafty, so we set the temperature higher so that the draft wouldn't make the room as cold. It worked for the most part, if I remember right.

LOVED the food court, better than the con suite. There was a lot of variety and the 42 Degrees North restaurant was lovely.

Sucked not to have wireless Internet in the room, but all you had to do for Internet access was go to the lobby on the 3rd floor and use the free wireless there. Much more worth it than paying for wired Internet. I mean yeah you have to get out of your room to do so, but in the end it actually benefited my group of friends because had we not been in the lobby by the restaurant to be on the computer, this video would not have happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7PUu4LCoX8

If it's any consolation, most high-class hotels make you pay for Internet. So that's just what I expect whenever I go to a conference or convention in a Marriott or a Hyatt or something.

One more thing... could you pretty please reserve like 90% of the rooms in the Marriott next year for con-goers? I reserved my room at the beginning of October but we still missed out on our Youmacon discount and as a result had to pay about $100 more than we probably should have. I suppose that now the hotel actually expects about 10,000+ people there they should be better about that for next year, but I just want to make sure that this happens so that we don't pay a fortune for something that most of the rest of the con-goers are getting discounted for.

I had a really really really good time at Youmacon this year and you will be seeing me there next year as well! :)

Dagon Akujin
Security Staff
First Anime: Fist of the North Star
Location: Detroit Kung Fu Academy of Southfield-- 10 1/2 and Greenfield

Postby Dagon Akujin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 am

As one of the Security ADH's (assistant department heads), I take it very personally when any of you at Youmacon are treated poorly. Do you guys have any clue just how awesome you are? I mean, someone at Youmacon lost an envelope with $300 cash in it, and do you know what happened? Well, someone turned it in. That's how awesome you guys are, because I can't imagine anywhere else in the world where that would happen.

Someone had a bag that had a camera and around $1000 of camera equipment stolen in the game room. And do you know what? Someone must have convinced the person who took it that Youmacon was too cool for that, because it was later turned in. I love helping out with Youmacon each year because it's filled with the creative, goodie-two-shoes, A++++ people. You know, people like me. And I really do see my younger self in the great majority of the kids who come to this convention. And I pretty much get post-con depression each year thinking about how on Monday, many of the Youmacon kids will go back to schools where they won't be in "the cool crowd", and they won't be accepted, and they'll instead be labeled "awkward" or "nerds" or "weird" or "not-worth-it". But at least for Youmacon weekend, you're all the coolest kids in the world. And that's how you all deserve to be treated.

Let me tell you this little story here. I met someone this year who told me that they did IRT at Acen. When he noticed it said "Security" on my shirt, this is how the conversation went:
IRT guy: So, what's your A-hole count so far?
Me: What?
IRT: I do security at Acen, and we count how many times we get to be total A-holes each day. I got up to a 23 one day this year!
Me: Um.... my count is ZERO.
IRT: LOL! This con is too small. Just wait until it's a real convention, and then you'll get to have an A-hole count too.
Me: Eh.... no I won't.
IRT: You don't even know! You'll just be yelling at some idiot kids so often that you'll start keeping track.
Me: Um no, I won't. These kids really are the awesomest kids in the world. And they don't deserve some 'A-hole' count.
IRT: Nah, kids are idiots. Just wait. Just wait!

Would it be wrong of me to admit that I have never wanted to punch somebody as hard as I did that night? I'm sure it wouldn't have helped to prove my point though. It made me feel like I was back in high-school again, and one of the "cool kids" was making fun of a good friend or something. "A-hole counts". Those are NOT for you. And if anyone from the Security department was treating you like you did deserve one, then I do greatly appologize.

So this is where I'll ask something of you. Of course, as a Security person, I can at this point really only help in my own department. So, if you had any negative run-ins with Youmacon Security, please please please please PM me with as much of a description as you can. It'll help as I go to meetings to debrief and reflect, and to plan on making things better for next year. And if it was someone on my team, then I do sincerly offer my appoligies to you and anyone affected.

And just so everyone knows, the SWAT people were not Youmacon Security. They had a totally different department. Security had red shirts (like in my profile pic) or the blue pumpkin shirts that said Security instead of Staff.

--Nathan
Last edited by Dagon Akujin on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dagon "the security guy" Akujin
http://www.facebook.com/dagonakujin
Instructor at the Detroit Kung Fu Academy: Southfield Branch
http://www.KungFuDetroit.com

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:46 am

VessaSushi wrote:Please keep this a feedback thread, not a 'read other peoples posts, then make snarky comments on them' thread.

~Vessa

the snarkiest posts in this thread are coming from staffers. Not to mention consdescending passive-aggression. If you have a problem with my post, please point it out.

UMB-694

Postby UMB-694 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:45 am

Dagon Akujin wrote:And just so everyone knows, the SWAT people were not Youmacon Security. They had a totally different department. Security had red shirts (like in my profile pic) or the blue pumpkin shirts that said Security instead of Staff.

--Nathan

They (We) were Volunteering Staff...we just all happened to be wearing the same outfits. We are working on a way to distinguish ourselves from the Security Staff since we were getting mixed up the whole weekend. Sorry if there was any problems.
Matusicon 2012
Mid Ohio Con 2012
Dragoncon 2012
Youmacon 2012

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 am

dairylives wrote:
VessaSushi wrote:Please keep this a feedback thread, not a 'read other peoples posts, then make snarky comments on them' thread.

~Vessa

the snarkiest posts in this thread are coming from staffers. Not to mention consdescending passive-aggression. If you have a problem with my post, please point it out.

Being as how I'm not Vessa, I don't know what goes on in her head, but I think she was attempting to keep this thread on the track of feedback, not necessarily bringing up an issue with you.

As someone who's also trying to divert any further hostilities in either direction, I must humbly request that you (or anyone for that matter) take any arguments into the PM region. It's better to not include the world in on your disagreements, despite the entertainment value it may provide for others, imo.

Its really easy to misunderstand text to be hostile, even when the original poster did not intend it to be so, and everyone seems to be so on edge about their various complaints that it's being horridly mistaken as a poke, prod or outright attack upon them. I can't even begin to count the various posts and stories where staff attempts to respond to a very valid complaint, explain their side of the story, and immediately get misunderstood to be attacking the poster.

It's a two-way street as well, as some staff may be reading the nature of your posts as hostility directed towards them, or their event/department. This could also be causing the defensive responses from staff.

I understand the nature of your complaints, guys, but please understand also that we're human, we're gonna make mistakes, we're not going to be able to accurately prepare for every explosion that could and did happen. We're gonna do what we can to track, identify and fix the sources of your complaints. Just please take into consideration that not every staffer is rude, and even the ones that may have exploded once or twice really did try hard to please the masses this year. ^^;

I've been staff since Youmacon began, so as a veteran, I sincerely and humbly apologize for all of the discomfort you've experienced, at con and here on the forums. We will do our best to rectify each issue to the best of our ability with what's available to us.

Azuna

Postby Azuna » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 am

Yukinari wrote:
Azuna wrote: However, the staff was rude and acted like they were the ****.

to say "the staff" in general is a mouth full as it i referring to all of us. could you be more specific as to who you are referring to?

I was more specific. Some girl named "Steff"

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 am

Azuna wrote:
Yukinari wrote:
Azuna wrote: However, the staff was rude and acted like they were the ****.

to say "the staff" in general is a mouth full as it i referring to all of us. could you be more specific as to who you are referring to?

I was more specific. Some girl named "Steff"

Thank you, that will help immensely. :)

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:32 am

Hikaru0 wrote:
dairylives wrote:

~Vessa

Being as how I'm not Vessa, I don't know what goes on in her head, but I think she was attempting to keep this thread on the track of feedback, not necessarily bringing up an issue with you.

As someone who's also trying to divert any further hostilities in either direction, I must humbly request that you (or anyone for that matter) take any arguments into the PM region. It's better to not include the world in on your disagreements, despite the entertainment value it may provide for others, imo.

Its really easy to misunderstand text to be hostile, even when the original poster did not intend it to be so, and everyone seems to be so on edge about their various complaints that it's being horridly mistaken as a poke, prod or outright attack upon them. I can't even begin to count the various posts and stories where staff attempts to respond to a very valid complaint, explain their side of the story, and immediately get misunderstood to be attacking the poster.

It's a two-way street as well, as some staff may be reading the nature of your posts as hostility directed towards them, or their event/department. This could also be causing the defensive responses from staff.

I understand the nature of your complaints, guys, but please understand also that we're human, we're gonna make mistakes, we're not going to be able to accurately prepare for every explosion that could and did happen. We're gonna do what we can to track, identify and fix the sources of your complaints. Just please take into consideration that not every staffer is rude, and even the ones that may have exploded once or twice really did try hard to please the masses this year. ^^;

I've been staff since Youmacon began, so as a veteran, I sincerely and humbly apologize for all of the discomfort you've experienced, at con and here on the forums. We will do our best to rectify each issue to the best of our ability with what's available to us.

Understandably so. Every single staffer I've known or met in real life is awesome and they do a lot of hard work. Its incredibly stupid for an attendee to assume that a personal issue with one or two staffers is a result of something bigger than them just being rude to a staffer. The reason i posted my snarky point earlier was because it was one of those ones that was just begging for a frustrated comment from a staff member, mostly because it was very harsh on the organization of the con. I thought, instead of a staffer getting caught in this, I'd just lay it all out and let that poster know that he/she is capable of taking two minutes to find where the escalators are, instead of railing against the con organization, as you guys have better things to do than hold people's hands around cons, making sure they don't waste a precious 5 minutes in getting a feel for the layout. So i apologize i guess if you guys think this has been some attack on Youmacon, but i was mostly posting to help out so those silly "blame Youmacon" posts might be a bit discouraged in the future. I dislike reading them just as much as you guys.

ElysiumFields

Postby ElysiumFields » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I agree, getting angry with the staff over the layout of the hotel seems a little ignorant. It would be like getting angry with a waitress over the prices in a restaurant (which has happened to me a few times). There is nothing they can do about it, and if you were having trouble navigating the floors then you could just do what I did. I looked at the schedule, saw what room it was (Marquette for example) Then I checked the foor, and instead of looking for signs that said Panel 1 or the like I just looked for the name of the room because they were posted in big letters right above the door. It might not have been a very speedy way to do things, but for people who cant read mps (like me) it was much easier. I would really like to thank the staff for your patience in dealing with us congoers, especially those who blamed you for things you could not help.
Two scary looking dudes in a pickup: "Hey can you give us a push?"
Me: ~looks at the pickup~ ~looks down at myself, Ms. I'm-five-foot-four-on-a-good-day~ ~looks back up at the pickup~ "..." ~keeps walking pretending I didnt hear them~

Return to “2010 Memories”