Official Youmacon 2010 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our sixth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Official Youmacon 2010 Feedback Thread

Postby mgperkow » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 pm

This is the official Youmacon 2010 feedback thread. Please post your comments and suggestions. If you want to provide feedback privately, you can PM it to me, and it will be reviewed by the convention staff without being revealed on the public forums.

TheBlackLuffy

Re: Official Youmacon 2010 Feedback Thread

Postby TheBlackLuffy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I thurally enjoyed my 1 day at the Con..and I'm dying to go next year! I'm extremely Glad the GM Build is less then 20 minutes away from my hometown! The GM building is very very big..and I felt like I could breathe unlike at the Hayatt..even though it was my first year at a Con. This 2nd Con was very well organized! Each floor had its very own set up. I hope maybe we can stay in this location for a long time..maybe 2-4 years if possible! Or at least until next year! So I can actually drive down there and stay down there! Like everyone will probably say, The Dealers room was the most crowed place, and it was hard to get to one store because of the traffic. Other then that everything was AWESOME!!
Last edited by TheBlackLuffy on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
VIVA SABODAY! I NEED LADY!!!

Cosplay 2010:
One Piece: Monkey D. Luffy (2 year Time Skip outfit)

Cosplay 2011:
One Piece: Monkey D. Luffy
Kizaru (completed)

Cosplay 2012:
One Piece Monkey D. Luffy
Kizaru
Zoro (time skip, MAYBE)

Krystal
First Anime: Dragonball Z!

Postby Krystal » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 am

I have never been to a con with such unprofessional and mean-spirited staff. I understand that they have to work hard, but a staff or volunteer has made me cry four times this weekend, and also insulted one of my friends.

I have been to Anime Central several times, and even though the cruelty of their IRT is infamous, the majority of ther staffers have at least one shred of decency.

I think that in the future, a psychological evaluation of staffers should be considered on the application, because this year, you definatley allowed a few horrible people to slip through the cracks.

I understand that this probably infuriates the people that worked hard at this con, so I apologize to the staffers that realize that working hard is not an excuse to take out frustration on attendees. Unfortunatly though, a few can ruin things for all.

On the other hand, the maid cafe was fun and the people in it were really nice.

EDIT: This is done for many jobs. I'm not implying a radical concept.
Last edited by Krystal on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

- Winston Churchill

Elite
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby Elite » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:57 am

The Ren Cen is a really nice place and it's good to see the Convention grow. Only a few suggestions I saw that could help.

It seemed that the lanes for the dealer's room were a bit too crowded but I'm not sure that could get remedied. Same goes for half of the artists alley with the dual rows.

Oh and events started late and very late at times. Then again, is nothing really on time at the convention as far as this goes anyways?

Let's see...might as well say something about them, but elevators...yeah...you may need to have some staff or security designated with a first come first serve basis or line for those wishing to board elevators. People would swarm to an elevator when they heard the token bing sound and you would simply be standing there in the dust if you weren't quick enough or other people elbowed their way through you which is kind of rude if you've been standing there longer waiting patiently.

Keyashi

Postby Keyashi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:33 am

I was pretty pleased with the size of the place but the location wasn't really too great. I was a little disappointed that it moved.

Well, the registration lines. . .yeah, they were a pretty big thing and didn't seem organized at all. Last year you walked in and stood in line for way less than this year to get your badge. We waited 2 hours to get our badges and even if it was pre - registered it was still really long. We missed a few things and weren't able to get photos of some people we really wanted.

I honestly felt more crowded around than at the Hyatt. I was a big con, but there was no room in some certain area's. The elevators were a mess but they were like that at the Hyatt too so I can't really complain for that. Though the dealer's room was way to packed and you could barely breathe in there. You couldn't even stop to look at something without people trying to get you out of the way or getting pushed a bit.

I do agree that some staff were not very pleasing. When my friend glomped someone and they fell on the floor for like a minute they got yelled at for being on the floor. I found that sort of stupid unless it was like super crowded and they were a risk of being trampled, but it was a big open space.

Other than those things I had a very great time and will be there a bit tomorrow for the last day. I really can't wait for next year already! I just hope that the next time will be a little more organized.
Yoite from Nabari No Ou = 90%
Rui from Yu Yu Hakusho = 45%
Lacie Baskerville from Pandora Hearts = 10%

Naiiki
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby Naiiki » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:51 am

What I've noticed... The larger the con gets, the "meaner" the staff becomes. They're around for safety reasons, and yes, I will agree some are meaner than others. Thing is... no one will listen to the nice staffer. They'll listen to the one who sounds pissed off and will kick you out for not being in a single file line.

A friend of mine had a horrible experience with the staffers, maybe volunteers. She is in a wheel chair, and they expected her to be able to jump around from floor to floor with no problem just to find another person with the right answer. It was very frustrating to hear about... :/ I did find out the hotel isn't the most wheel chair friendly, but again, not Youmacon's fault.

I personally had no bad experiences with staffers, but I saw them being strict for a very good reason.

Elevators were very frustrating, despite there being twelve of them. People were riding them down to go up, which I know happens often. There's nothing Youmacon can do about that, except place staff members (hotel or Youma) to regulate people.

I was very happy to see staffers letting panelists know when it was 5 or 10 minutes before the end of their panel. The panels I went to weren't too bad. The video rooms felt on time too, from what I saw.

I didn't stand in any lines for big events, but it felt like that everything started on time for the most part. No one waiting for extra hours to get into this or that.

The dealer's room was PHENOMENAL. Best one yet, oh my gosh. I looved it. I never wanted to leave! Seriously. If you can some how get those people again, please do.

I also loved the artists that had signed up for the alley. It felt a big cramped here and there, but I have no big complaints about it.

The registration lines were frighteningly long. I picked up my badge on Thursday and had little problem with waiting. I don't want to imagine what it's like taking care of hundreds of people daily... I congratulate the staff for just doing their job.

I loved the layout of the game room. Youma has always had an amazing set up, and this year was no different. It was also very cool (temperature wise) in there, which was very nice to experience. I didn't get any nasty smells either, which I assume is part of having the cooler room. I remember the game room had to be aired out a lot in the first year or two.

Food court was awesome. I never had to leave the hotel for food. Thank you for the coupons for the restaurants in the hotel. A fairly large group of friends and I went to Andiamo's for lunch. :) It was quite delicious.

Overall, I had a very good time. Very easy to navigate. It was very convenient to have the game room, registration and dealer's room in the same area. I liked how main events was on a different floor to make things a bit less cluttered. The con was very organized, as usual. I personally had no problems, but I did hear about some events/signings that got moved last minute.

I know I'll be back next year. Youmacon has been my favorite con for the past six years. I hope to be going every year possible. :) Thanks again for an amazing year.

who me

Postby who me » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:09 am

I am really disappointed with Youmacon this year. Entirely to crowded and to hard to get anything done. The dealer area was a mess. THREE HOURS in line to check in????? Come on folks. Then the security staff... Some were excellent and very nice, and guess what - People listened to them. Then you have people like the girl with the long curly brown hair running around threatening to kick people out if they didn't snap to her orders. She only need Jack Boots to complete here outfit to match her attitude. There was no need for her to act the way she did.

Vic was awesome and the hour with Vic was one of the few things that went smoothly. The autograph session afterwards was a mess.

Go back to dearborn and the smaller crowds it was so much better.

Knightjeran

Postby Knightjeran » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:40 am

I, too, have been a little disappointed by Youmacon this year. I was so excited for the new location, but it ended up having lots of drawbacks. And ruining my weekend. And the next 14 weeks of my life.

It was REALLLY REALLLLYYY great to have a HUGE Artist Alley and Dealers Room (Dealer Room = <3), and it was way less of a hassle to get into those this year. Its nice to expand those, those are important to a lot of people. They didn't feel crowded either, though there were plenty of people, its not like I was locked in. I could freely move about.

I'm glad the RenCen is very large. It allowed Youmacon to do the much needed expansion and gave it space to do 'its thang.' Now I know some of the next few things are not in Youmacon's control, but I'd like to mention that:

\\\the hallways were soooooo smallllllll. You'd have a line going one way on this tiny hallway/walkway thing and on the other side, you'd have a line going the other way. Then there's people just trying to walk through and not get in lines.
\\\ I liked the locations of the Dealers Room, the AA, the panels and whatnot. It seemed very logical and well planned by Youmacon Staff, such as the Dealers Room was right near registration, which was right near the Game room. The AA was also very convenient to get to.

\\\ -cries- Three and a half hours in the registration line. Why only three people checking thousands of people in? Even pre-reg was long.

\\\ The building layout SUCKS. Once again, not in Youmacon's control, but they do have a say in where it is located. I felt like the building itself was very poorly planned out, at least according to this kind of thing. Its a lovely building, but its more built for businessmen and their seminars. They don't have to wait in giant lines and take pictures and get from one place to another place in two minutes between panels. You'd have to do the dumb half-circle thing where you: go up one floor, walk halfway around the circle, go up another set of SKINNY escalators (mind you I'm in a hoop-skirt and other people have wide things too) THEN go around the half circle again to another set of up escalators, which are tiny, just to go up another floor. When I lost my keys, I had to go up and down four floors about 3 times and this took hours because there is so much walking. Plus, its hard to figure out what end of the "circle" you're on, so when you're finally on the appropriate floor, you're trying to work out which way is panel one, which way is this, and you end up walking around the circle trying to find it. I found Youmacon very cramped because it was all based around the centre and the further away you got from the center spire, the less crowded it became. The wintergardens, or the lobby as a bunch of people called it, was nearly empty, but yet the little round halls going up and down five floors was awful. Don't ever try wearing anything that extends from your body, aka ten inch wings. Poor Roxas, they got ripped off.....

\\\ FOOD. Yay! Convenient food court <3. And water all over the place. And the late-night stand thingie.
\\\Charity Ball was wonderful. Wonderful music and lights and videos and DJ. But they kept on calling it "devils night" when really it was the 29th.... Lol.

\\\RenCen staff are very nice. I lost my keys (and they're SUPER lost, still) and, though it took me 3 hours to find someone that could actually help me, they were all very kind, even though they didn't know where I could find the lost and found. "Oh, registration." "Oh, the hotel front desk." "Ask a security guy." "Ask the RenCen front desk in the lobby." "I think its on the third floor." Yeah... NO. But the RenCenSecurity did unlock the bathroom for me and then took my number so they'd call if they found them.

\\\ It was nice to get a heads up about things. For some panels and events, they let you know when its starting and ending if you're outside. I heard "five minutes till so-and-so panel begins!" and "The Charity Ball begins at five minutes after 9!"

\\\Thank you "End of Line" sign-holding fairy princess of wonder. It was great to know where the line was ending. Especially since it winds around and around.

\\\Some staff were kinda mean. I saw a girl get yelled at for just trying to go through the hallway. "Get in line or GET OUT!" Good ****, she was just walking through! Its a hallway for pete's sake! I could tell between those who were just like "Single file line please!" and "GTFO". Both stern, one normal and one RUDE about it.

\\\Autographs sessions were crazy.

\\\My parents, and a whole bunch of my friends' parents were not thrilled about the location. Detroit has some of the highest crime rates, and it doesn't matter if you're in the 'nice' part of town. I personally felt safe, but screw that, I'm grounded now. 14 weeks. Lovely.

All in all, I did like Dearborn better, ain't gonna lie. I didn't feel crowded last year, but this year's skinny halls made it seem like a bajillion people came, which most likey, did. Dearborn was way more convenient (wider halls, nice location, etc). Things could have been changed at the Hyatt to accommodate better instead of moving. But, alas, this was my last Youmacon..... -goesandcries-

DarkPriestess

Postby DarkPriestess » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:14 am

I felt the convention itself was a success. Yes the registration line was confusing and the length was just hell. No one knew if we were coming or going, not even some volunteers. I realize this is a very hard thing to control, especially with a new location and all things considering it wasn't TERRIBLE. At least it wasn't the 10 hour wait you can get at ACEN.

The hotel though was just awful. The layout was confusing even with maps, but that can be forgiven because by Saturday morning I had learned where most things were. When I stopped at the information desk of the convention center to ask where a location was, to make it to my photoshoot in time, I was given attitude. I waited in a line to ask "Can you tell me where the wintergardens are?" and he treated me like he was pissed off and said "In the wintergardens" when he could have just told me "We don't actually have them labelled that well and you're there" The rest of the hotel staff was just as bad. House keeping came while we were getting changed Saturday morning and we asked them to come back in half a hour when they asked when we wanted them to return. They never returned, so we never got clean towels for Sunday morning.

Two days in a row my roommates went down to go get breakfast in the hotel rather than the food court because they wanted pancakes. Saturday they were told "WE DON'T HAVE BREAKFAST!!" even though their own papers state it ran for another two hours at that point. Sunday they were rejected because they wore slippers down instead of shoes, and even then the only way to get pancakes is via room service. Elevators were... awful but this is to be expected, so I'm not going to complain about the obvious, however people were taking the stairs BECAUSE of the crowded situation and tired of waiting after 20 minutes. Hotel security had been going up and down the stairs and yelling at people using them, FOR using them. There wasn't a single thing dropped or mess that I could see from floor 30 and down, there weren't people just randomly standing, we were all just going down the stairs, and we got yelled at just for being there.

The hotel falsely advertised free wireless in the rooms and throughout the hotel. When we asked at the desk about internet, we were told it was $13 and there was a cord in the room, we asked if there was a way to hook up more than one computer, because my room was me and two people, all three of us had laptops. We were given attitude at the check in desk Friday morning and told "no" when we get to the room there was another jack, all we needed was a cable. By 11 pm or so the hotel was trying to lock everybody inside the building. We had a friend who came from Canada just for Saturday, and when my room mates went to see her off they were yelled at to go find another door because they were locking everything down, and when we asked if there was a door they wanted us to use to get outside they ignored them.

The food court had a decent "selection", however the food was crap. This one chinese place had undercooked rice. The egg rolls looked disgusting on the inside, as if they were filled with dirty diapers instead of actual food, and my room mate said they basically tasted like that as well. McDonalds was greasy and sloppy, so much so that a cheese burger I saw someone else get was so nasty they couldn't even pick it up. The grease on it was so bad there was no physical way to pick this burger soup up. I was rather upset there was no pizza huts in the area that delivered as well. We found one in the phone book and they don't deliver at all. I realize Pizza hut isn't anyones fault and there may be other options for delivered pizza, but we have picky people and we didn't want to order pizza we weren't sure we'd like. So just a bit of general feedback there.

The building itself is pretty to look at, however there is too much balcony space and not enough floor space for everyone to stand or move around. The view is beautiful inside and out, however when it feels smaller than it did last year it kinda makes me not want to go out and enjoy everything that I should.

As far as Youmacon staff, other than some confusion as far as registeration and being told we had to get up and move because autographs were going to be there in an hour, I felt everyone did a good job. I personally didn't find any mean staff and since I'm writing this from inside the hotel room with my room mates corded laptop (because there was no wireless signal to be found contrary to what the Marriott's website and flyers had stated) I asked them as well and they had no problems with Youmacon staff either. Even though registration was confusing all staff members we asked for help and directions from were very nice about it.
Nina - Breath of Fire 2 (massive purple wings have been retired)
Jing - King of Bandits: Jing (retired for now)
Mushroom Girl Spar - Breath of Fire 2
Stalker - Ragnarok Online

Kagthul
Gaming ADH
First Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam. Yes, the first one; im old.

Postby Kagthul » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Krystal wrote:I have never been to a con with such unprofessional and mean-spirited staff. I understand that they have to work hard, but a staff or volunteer has made me cry four times this weekend, and also insulted one of my friends.

I have been to Anime Central several times, and even though the cruelty of their IRT is infamous, the majority of ther staffers have at least one shred of decency.

I think that in the future, a psychological evaluation of staffers should be considered, because this year, you definatley allowed a few horrible people to slip through the cracks.

I understand that this probably infuriates the people that worked hard at this con, so I apologize to the staffers that realize that working hard is not an excuse to take out frustration on attendees. Unfortunatly though, a few can ruin things for all.

On the other hand, the maid cafe was fun and the people in it were really nice.

a vague and meandering post isn't going to help them identify any problems. "The staff is mean" is useless feedback. If you could cite some specific instances (and what part of the staff you were dealing with) it may help them address any problems....

as it is... any staffer who reads this is going to be saying to themselves "what is she talking about"? With no specific instance to think of... theyll just brush it off.
www.Deadstatedesign.com

You should go there and check us out. Maybe say hi on the forums. Maybe convince other cons you go to that they need us. =)

Knightjeran

Postby Knightjeran » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Kagthul wrote:a vague and meandering post isn't going to help them identify any problems. "The staff is mean" is useless feedback. If you could cite some specific instances (and what part of the staff you were dealing with) it may help them address any problems....

as it is... any staffer who reads this is going to be saying to themselves "what is she talking about"? With no specific instance to think of... theyll just brush it off.

and on another note - if a few staffers at a con can make you break down into tears, perhaps you shouldn't be slinging the "mentally unstable" bat - in either direction.

Incredibly uncalled for.
On the contrary, some staffers and volunteers could read these and be like "Oh... Snap." it can go "in either direction" as you say. You should not say anyone's post isn't helpful.
Youmacon 2010!
Haruhi Suzumiya - 100%
Ciel Phantomhive (Strawberry) - 100%
Ciel Phantomhive (Ballgown) - 100%
Soul Eater Evans (Formal) - 70%
Seth Nightlord (artbook) - 35%
Kairi (pink) - 90%
Sora (kh2) - 50%
Yuki Cross - 100%
Olette (kh2) - 100%

ThatGuyAtTheCon

Postby ThatGuyAtTheCon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Knightjeran wrote:
Kagthul wrote:a vague and meandering post isn't going to help them identify any problems. "The staff is mean" is useless feedback. If you could cite some specific instances (and what part of the staff you were dealing with) it may help them address any problems....

and on another note - if a few staffers at a con can make you break down into tears, perhaps you shouldn't be slinging the "mentally unstable" bat - in either direction.

Incredibly uncalled for.
On the contrary, some staffers and volunteers could read these and be like "Oh... Snap." it can go "in either direction" as you say. You should not say anyone's post isn't helpful.

I think what Kagthul is trying to say is, without a who/what/where/when/why example, there is nothing they can really do except tell the staffers next year, "Please don't get frustrated when trying to herd a bunch of ungrateful cats around that will not listen." Which I'm pretty sure is a paraphrase of what they tell the staffers at every convention...every year. So it's moot to say people are mean and expect a reaction of any kind if you have no example to cite. My opinion at least. :)

As for me, had a great time overall. My only poin of criticism was Friday night and it was against the attendees:

If you have nothing better to do except stand on every floor and make all the elevators stop just so you can dance in front of the elevator door when it opens, then you have plenty of free time to sit in the hospital when I walk off the elevator at each floor and punch you in the nose. Just a heads-up for next time. Took my gal and I just shy of thirty minutes to get an elevator, only for the ride itself to take another 30 minutes thanks to these twits. I understand there is limited elevator space, and that is not Youma-fault, but delaying the elevators at all is as good as breaking them.

Also, as mentioned above, from Friday to today we took the stairs every time because we did not have an hour to kill going up and down. We were then harrassed by staff and told we were not allowed to be on the stairs. I know this was aimed at keeping people from hanging out there, but just for future reference, say that instead of lying because the staffer received nothing but derision for trying to say the stairs were off limits. Just helpful tidbit. :)

As I said earlier, had fun overall, so no criticism other than the above at the moment.

-That Guy (Sean)

Courtoon

Postby Courtoon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:43 pm

Well, I actually thought the staff was quite nice, and helpful. If they ever got strict it was because they were doing their job- and probably felt like the had been repeating themselves over and over all day, which can get annoying. On Saturday especially a few staff members helped our Princess Tutu Group get an elevator because our costumes were huge and delicate and we had a hard time fitting without a couple members of our group ruining their costumes- and they were really helpful to us- cause as always, Elevators suck. I mean, there's nothing we can do about that- So I'm not complaining. I know this probably isn't possible, but one recommendation I do have is having an option for mailing registration badges. The Pre-Reg line was just as long as the Reg Line- And Youmacon is becoming a pretty big con I think that would be an AWESOME improvement- especially if we stay in the Ren Cen it would really clear up lines on the third floor I think. Maybe some day that would be possible.

But overall! I had fun!! Thanks guys!!
Youma 11'
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Princess Tutu (Princess Tutu)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Artemis (Young Justice)
Applejack (MLP)

Luffluff

Postby Luffluff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Yeah, I saw one bigger male staffer that was putting on the drill sergeant act a little too high but it was mostly called for and not too rude. Overall I personally never got treated rude by a staffer, but didnt have too much interaction with them really as I never waited in any lines for anything. (2 hours to get into the dance you can just walk into anyways once its open and get whatever dance spot you want anyways?)

I pre-reg'd on thurs and maybe had to wait 15 minutes to get my badge? That was flippin sweet. Felt bad for anyone on Fri-Sat waiting in the normal line. That was INSANITY but I guess other than putting more people on staff to check people in it can't be helped?

Event times running almost an hour late sometimes is something I've gotten used to so no point griping about that lol.

Con itself overall was wonderful though. I loved the hotel once I got used to it, granted at first I didnt even know what floors stuff was going on at or where to Register (Sign at the Lobby next time guys?) oh and not youma's fault, but like Knightjeran said, the whole walking ALL the way around that circle to get up and down was WTFDURR on the building designers part.

Again, great con guys, events were fun and there were no incidences that I was aware of!

PS- Having the Spoonybards maybe playing longer at a centralized area of the con would be awesome, the mood music always made the con for me in the old days.
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/FuzaGraphics/KaminaSiggyHeart.png[/img]

Youma 2010!
Todd Ingram - Scott P vs the world - 80%
Lawrence - Spice and Wolf -85%
???? - ???? - 100%?!

Trinity-Hale

Postby Trinity-Hale » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:15 pm

I didn't really have any problems with the staff/ volunteers. The one I encountered in the reg. line was very nice, interacted with the crowd, and kept things moving nicely. I do admit later, some of them were a bit onnery, but that's understandable. It is a long day, after all.

I was sort of upset with the moved panels and the fact that most of the volunteers didn't know where the panel had been moved to. Me and my friend spent about an hour looking for an Autograph signing. We ran up and down the floors and the volunteers sent us all over because they didn't know where it was. Finally, a congoer directed us, but by the time we got there the line had been cut off-- it sort of killed my soul.

Artist Alley and the Dealers Room were wonderful.

The RenCen is a beautiful hotel, but definately not my favorite location. I enjoyed the dearborne location a lot more, but I totally understand the con is growing and needs a larger hotel.
Overall, though, it was an awesome time!

Return to “2010 Memories”