Baked Goods at the Artist Alley?

Moderators: Hikaru0, Public Moderators

VeniceQueen17
First Anime: Card Captors

Baked Goods at the Artist Alley?

Postby VeniceQueen17 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:27 pm

Good afternoon everyone!

I was curious as to whether or not baked items (i.e. cookies, cupcakes, etc.) would be sold at the Artist Alley, assuming they were themed/decorated to things relating to Youma. Michigan has a Cottage Food law, allowing baked goods to be sold even if they were not produced in a USDA inspected kitchen, as long as everything is labeled correctly. Obviously, only certain foods are protected under this law. Here is the link to learn more about Cottage Foods:

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html

Basically, I want to sell Pokemon cookies and cake balls that look like Pokeballs and I wonder if this is allowed at Youma.

Thanks for any feedback! :D

CaptiveAura
First Anime: Soul Eater

Re: Baked Goods at the Artist Alley?

Postby CaptiveAura » Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 pm

No, and I think this is a Cobo Rule. The vendors only sold prepackaged candy, and I remember on the AA rules for last year, you couldn't sell food products.

hathor_sg1x
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby hathor_sg1x » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Due to the contract Youmacon has with the convention Hall, the Artists cannot sell foods. Also I'm guessing another reason is it would be a violation of the Health and Safety Department because the food was not prepared in a placed 'certified' by the Health Department.
[b]2014 Costumes:[/b]
The Sixth Doctor: Doctor Who
The Eighth Doctor: Doctor Who
Donna Noble: Doctor Who: Journeys End PT 1/2
Rose: Titanic Swim dress

VeniceQueen17
First Anime: Card Captors

Postby VeniceQueen17 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:40 am

Well Michigan actually has the Cottage Food law, as long as food is labeled properly you can sell it even if it's not in a licensed kitchen (most baked goods fall under this law) BUT I kind of figured Youmacon/Cobo had something worked out preventing this. It makes sense!

Thanks guys! :)

Return to “Artists' Alley”