Does staff even read our emails?

Moderators: Hikaru0, Public Moderators

nsomniacartist
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Does staff even read our emails?

Postby nsomniacartist » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm trying to be patient with you guys... but I'm really tired of the lack of communication between youmacon AA and the artists. Like I know you guys are busy and everything but these MONTHS of absence and no replies is extremely irritating and it makes me not want to participate in the artist alley at all. I don't have any problems with any of the other cons i go to with getting responses, and they are not small cons either (Otakon, acen, C2e2). But i have sent up to 6-10 emails asking about purchasing an additional table cuz by accident i only got one. i sent the first email pretty much right after i purchased the first table....i've emailed them numerous times, facebook, even tried talking to a couple of friends that work in other departments still nothing.....Can we get a reliable form of communication that doesn't take months to answer a single question??? is that too much to ask for? I want to give you guys more money, isn't that what you want

Kanokawa
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Re: Does staff even read our emails?

Postby Kanokawa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:00 pm

I second this. It's helpful to know that we can contact the staff in charge, especially when the con is as big as it is. If they can simply give us a message back, it'll save a lot of stress if any problems come up. It also helps to know if we have any important questions, that they shouldn't be ignored if they want to avoid serious problems when the con finally starts.

mathis
First Anime: Please Save My Earth

Postby mathis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:40 pm

My partner basically got confirmation for a table and they said to email staff for instructions on how to add another person to the table. We've emailed them back in May... and we still haven't gotten any response to this point. We would really really REALLY appreciate some form of response. I'm starting to get worried because this was a problem I encountered in Youmacon's Artist alley in 2012 and decided to skip out on 2013 because of how horrible the experience ended up being due to the lack of communication between artists and staff. So... getting anxious due to flashbacks of it and now I'm pondering if I made the right choice of trying again.

IcyPanther
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin

Postby IcyPanther » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:54 am

mathis wrote:My partner basically got confirmation for a table and they said to email staff for instructions on how to add another person to the table. We've emailed them back in May... and we still haven't gotten any response to this point. We would really really REALLY appreciate some form of response. I'm starting to get worried because this was a problem I encountered in Youmacon's Artist alley in 2012 and decided to skip out on 2013 because of how horrible the experience ended up being due to the lack of communication between artists and staff. So... getting anxious due to flashbacks of it and now I'm pondering if I made the right choice of trying again.

I hear you. I attended in 2012, was so put off by the communication and execution of the alley that I opted out of 2013. Trying it again this year and realizing there are still some big communication problems.

If you have a Facebook there is a thread there and Beth does respond to some questions. I know in relation to questions asked about the helper badge, we're being told to just purchase them as regular (Beth thought there was some option to indicate it was for AA, but there is not) and they'll somehow be converted... If you aren't on a time crunch you could hold off, but if you're trying to beat any tiers may want to consider buying it and just figuring it out as we go along - that's what a lot are doing on the FB page. Hope that maybe helps!

On a (sort of) positive note, Beth said that if you paid and were not waitlisted you are in the alley, so long as you're not selling anything on the DNS list. So that's good :)
I'll be attending Youmacon 2014 as an artist!
Check out my DeviantArt for samples of my work!
If you're interested in anything, visit my Etsy Shop to order!

mathis
First Anime: Please Save My Earth

Postby mathis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:32 pm

I finally looked in the facebook account and I would have to admit that it just made my anxiety get worse. haha... The comments about how people should stop "freaking out" because staff surely is aware of the problem and than telling them about your concerns continuously will not fix anything kinda made me squint and wonder how that even makes any sense. I mean... if they were aware, shouldn't they try to give all the artist participants the same information instead of just keeping it in a thread here and there in facebook?

I think just... even a simple e-mail reply would be nice. Or a general e-mail to the confirmed artists on what to expect or why there's such a delay, or why emails are being ignored.

I'm pretty sure some of the artists coming aren't even from the country, so having some peace of mind, especially with the lack of communication, would help a whole lot.

But yeah, we didn't want to chance it and bought a second attendee ticket back in May. Hopefully it can be turned into a helper or a second artist badge without any hitches. Meanwhile, we'll just worry in silence.

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:02 am

Ok, here goes. Don't shoot me, I've been busy with things not convention-related and haven't had time to do much on the computer. ;_; I'm fiending for all of my apps and games....-sniff-
Your best bet is to keep an eye on the facebook for information, as that is easy for me to check and respond to while on the go. If the information is VERY important (as in, something people have been asking about) I simply pin the post so it's at the top of the page. If there is no pin or response from me, it means I do not have the info yet.
Why don't I have the info? I haven't contacted the right people for it, or they haven't responded to me or many additional reasons.

I do not know anything about the badges right now. I keep hoping Media will jump in and answer somewhere, since they're the guru of all things technical, or Reg, since they're the guru of all things reggy(they both have access to the youma AA facebook), but so far it looks like I'm going to have to crawl out of my box, and then yank them out of their boxes and poke them for answers.
What I do know is that you are supposed to purchase a standard convention badge for helpers. If push comes to shove, I will have all of you contact me with the names of your helpers, and I will pass that on to Reg to make sure that they separate those names to be put into the alley pile.

IF you have purchased a table, you are in the alley unless I contact you with a letter of doom stating otherwise.
IF you need a refund, do not email me and wait eons(i.e: way past the refund time) for a response, go directly to media or reg.

The waiting list will be tapped once I sit down and figure out how to squeeze more tables into the alley. My keister is being ridden by the conchair for my layout, so yes, this is slow response fault on my part. I apologize for this and take responsibility.
I'll make a note on the facebook group when I've started tapping the waiting list, so don't worry about that.

Return to “Artists' Alley”