Youmacon 2013 Artist's Alley Information (UPDATE OCT 7th)

Moderators: Hikaru0, Public Moderators

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Youmacon 2013 Artist's Alley Information (UPDATE OCT 7th)

Postby Hikaru0 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:29 pm

UPDATE OCTOBER 7th
(also known as "Hikaru wants Takoyaki" day)

CHECK IN
Thurs-There will be limited check-in for artists on Thursday, from 1pm to 7pm. You may set up, but please keep out of the Dealers area as they are extremely edgy about making sure all of their merchandise is accounted for and unknown individuals make them nervous. YOU WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO USE THE LOADING DOCK ON THURSDAY, PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT FOR YOUR TRAVEL PLANS.
Please PM me with the estimated time of your arrival so I'll know when I can leave for din-din.

Fri- Check in will start at 9am this year. IF I AM NOT THERE RIGHT AT 9, please do not panic. I will be there as soon as I am able to surf through the crowds getting to the people mover or when I can hitchhike my way over via car. Check in will end at 4pm, and empty tables will go on sale at 4:30.

NOTICE- As it is we have lots of empty tables right now. If you want a table and have not filled out a spot on the waiting list, do so now. Chances are good that you will get in. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kd6_Uv ... o/viewform

There will be no check-in on Saturday or Sunday unless you have a reeeeeeally good reason.

Loading dock will only be open from 12pm to 8pm on Thursday, but I staggered check-in time by an hour due to the fact that you will be sharing the loading dock with Dealers. Please be sure to obey the orders and signals given to you by Cobo staff. If you run into an issue, I will attempt to place one of my staff there to keep an eye on things (if possible), if not, locate the nearest Dealer's staff and have them come find me.

Load Out will be on Sunday, from 4:30pm to 8:30pm. Again, be mindful of the Dealers, they're going to be in a hurry again. If there is once again any issue with Cobo, I, or my staff will be on hand to try and sort things out.

Closing Time for the Dealer's Hall during the convention is as follows;
Fri-7:30pm, Sat-7:30pm, and Sun-4pm.
When the Dealer's Staff says get out, you're going to have to get out asap. That's just how Cobo is, unfortunately.

Your items will be safe overnight, but I recommend bringing a sheet or table cloth to cover anything you leave on the table, and clothespins to hold it down. This is just to be extra safe, in case a gnome comes in and tries to hoard your pins or pony plushies.

I hope this information is satisfactory. I realize I don't have opening time info for the Dealer's Hall, I will update this post once I get it.

ON THE PLACEMENT OF THE AA.
We are in a much better spot this year, no more being in the back of the hall. If you visualize last year's hall, we are now alongside the dealers. They still take up the majority of the hall of course, but we are now visible from the doors.
What could be an issue that will make some people squirmy, but was a nod towards those that loved the business they received in the hallways of the AA's of yore, the autograph lines will be snaked through the AA. It won't be crowded like the hallways, don't worry, but now you have a captive audience. :) Unless they are legally blind, it will be hard to miss the AA this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In this thread I will respond to every concern, question and complaint listed in other threads. You may also add more questions if I do not cover your complaint.
First off, the basics.

1. Artist's Alley will open in two weeks. This means June 18th-19th. Mark your calendars!

2. I have been discussing at length a new layout for the AA. While I am not in control of how the room is going to get positioned (as it is 85% Dealers space, they are in charge of the layout), I'm trying my best to make sure that last year does not happen again.
2a. To be perfectly blunt, there is some argument that the Dealers deserve the front space exclusively because they pay more for their space, the same
argument that caused our issues last year. Once again, I have been fighting this, and even my husband has stepped in to try and propose better layouts
that will make both sides happy.
2b. "Higher ups" have stated that they want the layout the same as last year, because they believe the addition of an extra entryway at the back of the
room (where people who have just registered will be filtered through, from my understanding) will help the lack of traffic. I remain unconvinced.
2c. If you'd like to voice an opinion or concern about the layout, I would recommend starting a thread in Youmacon discussion.

3. The slow filtering of the AA info every year is due to unforeseen hiccups every year. A different system, other people not communicating, my own move from one state to another. It all adds up and just keeps pushing things back, unfortunately.

This year I have taken a different approach, and while I am not updating consistently (which I do apologize for the silence, I'm still formulating a way to handle everything other than just saying "hey still here!") I am trying very hard not to shift blame from one person or the other, or 'make excuses' as to why everything is silent. (I believe those were two complaints about me last year, that I dodge blame, and that I make excuses.) We wanted the AA to go up at the beginning of the year (actually had plans for it to, was very exciting for a bit!) but then a hiccup came up and things were pushed back. And then another, and then another, ect until we reach now.

While some issues may indeed be fault of others not myself, I am not going to point out blame this year and sic the angry mob upon them. I can only ask that you remain patient when you haven't heard from me (although I do understand how frustrating that is).

4. As of this time I do not have any information on how many tables will be in the alley. I'll update this post and paragraph once I find out for certain (hopefully today, the 5th), but look for at LEAST as many as last year, if not more.
4a. The empty tables last year were unused spares that I try to save just in case a surprise table swap is put on me, and tables that belonged to individuals
who couldn't make it to Youmacon due to the hurricane, or because their own personal plans changed. Sadly the number added up to more than I
anticipated, which is why there was a completely empty row.

5. I have the option of starting a mailing list for the first time this year, HOWEVER, I would have to send every mail that I have to another department to get 'legaleese' squished into it, so at this time I am not starting one. This is more due to the fact that I don't like to rely on another department as delays or things becoming overwhelming are bound to happen.
BUT (yay more caps) I am going to wiggle around and see if I can get everything tucked nicely back into my corner.

EverythingAnna
First Anime: Yu-Gi-Oh!

Re: Youmacon 2013 Artist's Alley Information and Processes

Postby EverythingAnna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Thank you for the update! I will definitely mark my calendar!

Luna_Bunneh
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Luna_Bunneh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Thank you!! I can't wait! I hope I (a newbie) can get a spot. I worked really hard on stock.
Visit and like my facebook page! www.facebook.com/lunabunnehscreations

ETNsilverstar

Postby ETNsilverstar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Only two weeks! Yay! Good luck everyone! :)

karmada

Postby karmada » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Thank you so much for the update! I shall definitely mark my calendar!

I did have a couple of questions - I was curious how sign up, table purchasing, and badge purchasing might work this year.

1.) I assume that there will be an online form to fill out (as in previous years). What types of information are you looking for it on there? (As in, how should we submit our "portfolio"). Will you need just a link to say, a Deviant Art page, or would you need images sent via the form?

2.) For payment, will we need to pay up front, or after we are confirmed?

3.) May we buy badges at the time of table purchase (after confirmation, assumingly)?

4.) May we buy a helper badge at the same time as our own badge - namely I was curious how I would have another person's badge flagged for my table so we can pick them up at the same time at check in?

:) Thank you for the information so far though!
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Don't Drink and Derive.
5/4 people have problems with fractions.

Aimee

Postby Aimee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Yes! Calendars are marked and bookmarked! I have been working hard on stock as well, so my fingers are crossed!

linksliltri4ce
First Anime: Deathnote

Postby linksliltri4ce » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the update, Hikaru0!!!! :D
I hope I get in again this year!!! :fingerscrossed: Last year was so much fun!!!
My cosplay/commission site at http://www.linksliltri4ce.webstarts.com
and my online store http://www.vendio.com/stores/linksliltri4ce

Come check out my Zelda collection!!! http://linksliltri4cezeldacollection.weebly.com/

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm

karmada wrote:Thank you so much for the update! I shall definitely mark my calendar!

I did have a couple of questions - I was curious how sign up, table purchasing, and badge purchasing might work this year.

1.) I assume that there will be an online form to fill out (as in previous years). What types of information are you looking for it on there? (As in, how should we submit our "portfolio"). Will you need just a link to say, a Deviant Art page, or would you need images sent via the form?

2.) For payment, will we need to pay up front, or after we are confirmed?

3.) May we buy badges at the time of table purchase (after confirmation, assumingly)?

4.) May we buy a helper badge at the same time as our own badge - namely I was curious how I would have another person's badge flagged for my table so we can pick them up at the same time at check in?

:) Thank you for the information so far though!

1-It will still be the standard information as it has been every year. I will need links to samples of your work online and/or a basic list of items you'll be selling to make sure it does not fall under our 'do not sell' list.

2-I am pretty sure you're paying up front, and you will be refunded if by random chance you don't make it into the alley.

3-Yes

4-Yes

karmada

Postby karmada » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much for the information. :D
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Don't Drink and Derive.

5/4 people have problems with fractions.

ForteGirl7
First Anime: DragonBall Z and Sailor Moon

Postby ForteGirl7 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Okay, it's great that the registration will open in a few weeks, but I think I still need some other important information before that happens. Mainly:

1) Do we have any idea what method of payment you guys will be taking? Will it be through PayPal or a different system? I know last year not knowing this when the registration opened caused some issues for people not having money in the right place.

2) Was the price of the table ever posted anywhere? I haven't seen yet so far.

3) Is there a contract available for the Alley? If so, are we going to be able to get a copy to read before the Alley opens?

TheAC86

Postby TheAC86 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am

Oh boy, I didn't know it would be so soon, my questions:

1.) Are june 18-19 the only days or will it be open until all tables are sold ;_;!?
2.) Can we add helper badges after we get the tables? ( i'll be sharing again like last year)
3.) Not apart of this thread but when will the banned merchandise list be produced or will it be the same as last year?

That's all I can think of right now..... thanks in advance.
I seriously don't give a **** ^_^
check out my deviantart page =V! Protoman demands it!
http://theac.deviantart.com/

Squishlemon
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby Squishlemon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 am

So this will be my first time selling things. I don't really have a set portfolio of stuff. I probably won't have the items I'm gonna sell until closer to the con since I already work full time. Hoping that's not an issue. I do have a deviantart but nothing I plan to sell :I

The one thing I'm kind of annoyed about with the dealers whining about paying more is the fact that they're selling factory made stuff. Us artists probably work ten times harder to make our own merchandise and we spend more money doing it. I don't see why the fact that they pay more really has anything to do with it. They seriously need to deal with it and stop whining. Just gonna throw that out there. If the setup was as bad as I hear last year I'm going to be very reluctant about buying a spot at the con. I know a couple of people who sell at Youmacon and they were devastated financially because of it.

I totally understand that Hikaru is doing everything in their power to fix it. So fellow artists, if they try to throw that set up on us again, either we need to completely boycott the artists ally and not buy badges or give a petition to the con chairs. The con chairs are the people who are obviously neglecting us. Not Hikaru.
poop <3

ETNsilverstar

Postby ETNsilverstar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:33 am

TheAC86:

1: the 18/19th is just when registration opens. It will be open even after all tables are sold (there will be a wait list after AA is filled), but I'm not sure how long it will be open. It may be open for a couple days or a couple weeks. It depends how the selling goes.
2: technically yes. You can purchase up to three badges when you purchase the table (if you only get one table) and any extras will have to be bought at the regular Pre-reg price using the Pre-reg form on the site. If you only purchase one badge with the table, you can buy more with the standard Pre-reg. I asked about buying more badges at the table cost for badges last year, but I never received an answer.
3: it's safe to say the banned merchandise list is the same as last year for now, but there may be more items added to the list later. Once an item is banned from the AA it's not likely to be re-allowed later. So if you're trying to figure out if an item is sellable or not, that is your best bet for the time being.

Squishlemon: if I'm remembering right, you will need some kind of portfolio when you apply, even though this is not a juried alley. As long as you're displaying the types of items you will be selling (ex. I sell crochet plushies, but the exact ones I have depend on what I've added since applying and what I happen to have on hand when the con comes around) then you'll be fine. Mostly it's just to make sure no one is selling anything against the rules. It may just be a list of items that you have to enter too. As I said, I don't remember exactly from last year.

As for thoughts on AA placement, there's a thread posted on the discussion board about placement. You should go add a comment about your opinion on there. :D

Aimee

Postby Aimee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Do we have an actual time tomorrow as to when the Registration will be open?

Otakumals

Postby Otakumals » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:22 pm

I would really like to know what time it opens too.
Stefanie Shall
Chairwoman of Shuto Con / Artist Alley and Dealers Alley Coordinator
Shuto Con - It's all about U!
http://www.shutocon.com

Return to “Artists' Alley”