AA-DENIED LIST. (aka, what we can't let you sell)

Moderators: Hikaru0, Public Moderators

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

AA-DENIED LIST. (aka, what we can't let you sell)

Postby Hikaru0 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 am

I have this typed up in another thread, but here is what we have so far. Please keep in mind this list is subject to change, and I will ONLY be updating this initial post when I get another 'don't sell this!' from the conchair. I will note in the subject the date of updating, as per what I normally do.

Without further ado.
#1- DO NOT SELL MERCHANDISE RELATED TO RAGNAROK ONLINE OR GRAVITY CO.
-This includes keychains, t-shirts, plushies, hats, and any other non-printed media. This means no poring plushies, no devi hats, no super novice t-shirts or anything like it.
-Selling pre-made RO art is a grey area. We're going to say it's ok for now. Gravity is mostly concerned with the collectible media.
-YOU CAN take commissions for art related to Ragnarok Online, of course.

#2-DO NOT SELL MERCHANDISE RELATED TO GAIA ONLINE
-This includes keychains, t-shirts, plushies, hats and any other non-printed media.
-YOU CAN take commissions for art related to Gaia Online.

#3-DO NOT SELL COPIES OF PRE-EXISTING MERCHANDISE, EVEN IF YOU HANDMADE IT YOURSELF.
-This is called bootlegging kids. Even if your cheese-kun is slightly more oblong than the standard cheese-kun, it falls in this area.

#4-DO NOT SELL CLOTHING/COSPLAY IN THE ALLEY.
-This applies to everything BUT T-SHIRTS at this time. This means you cannot sell full cosplay, historical, gothic lolita or your personal fashions in the alley. The Dealers Room is more suited for this type of product.
-YOU CAN sell accessories such as bracelets, fans, headbands, underclothes, necklaces (and all things similar), and you CAN sell commissions of your work that a customer can choose from a binder. You can also have a binder filled with samples of your work to sell to your customers outside of the alley.

#5-DO NOT SELL HATS IN THE ALLEY.
-This means you CANNOT ONLY SELL HATS in the alley. If you are a straight-up 100% hat seller, dealers is more suited for you.
-If you have a variety of crafts and art to sell that is not only hats, you may limit a portion of your table to hat vending.

#6-DO NOT SELL KINGDOM HEARTS/SQUARE ENIX REPLICA WEAPONS.
-Sadly, this is straight from the horses mouth. Squeenix wants none of that.

TheAC86
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Re: AA-DENIED LIST. (aka, what we can't let you sell)

Postby TheAC86 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok so what about home made plushies? Are these going to be banned as well? I was intending on doing hats and plushies, bookmarks, maybe scarves... o.o are all clothing items just a no-no in general? If plushies are approved, will it be limited to certain anime/manga or original works only? Should I just wait for the AA paperwork to be posted up w/ all the dos and don'ts? Thanks for the response.(noob to AA)
I seriously don't give a **** ^_^
check out my deviantart page =V! Protoman demands it!
http://theac.deviantart.com/

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:38 pm

if your plushies are blatant copies of existing plushies, then yes. If this answer is still confusing, feel free to send me a link to a pic of your mercandise, and I can let you know. :)

the only clothing that is banned is full outfits. T-Shirts are ok still, and clothing accessories are ok (with the exception of felt hats.) The only way you can sell hats in the AA now is if you include it with other merchandise. This is to eliminate people who sell nothing BUT hats from the AA and encourage them to go to dealers, which will suit their needs far better.

TheAC86

Postby TheAC86 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll do that once I get something done. I wasn't doing felt hats, as I feel that's kinda cheap, was going for fleece w/ a possible liner inside. But yeah I'l just post some pics and let you decide.

Raven-Rayee
First Anime: Ouran High School Host club

Postby Raven-Rayee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 pm

This is one of the wallets I make from duct tape

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-as ... 7260_n.jpg

Would items like that be allowed? I'll have a wide selection of nerdy/anime duct tape wallets, mini top hats, jewelry and hair accessories.

If you need another example, you can see here: https://www.facebook.com/crazyhatladydesigns

or here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/crazyhatladydesigns
Like my fb page for a chance to win some of my wares! http://facebook.com/crazyhatladydesigns

Youmacon 2012:
Alice from Alice: The Madness Returns Hysteria Mode 60%

zekeknight
First Anime: Ghost in the Shell

Postby zekeknight » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:44 am

Can I sell my Video Game Pixel Art?

http://pixelbuddy.deviantart.com/gallery/

TheAC86

Postby TheAC86 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:44 am

I have another question, it's in regards to the tables. Do we have to provide our own tables? If so are there specific sizes or are we alotted a certain amount of space? :bow:

ForteGirl7
First Anime: DragonBall Z and Sailor Moon

Postby ForteGirl7 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:00 pm

TheAC86 wrote:I have another question, it's in regards to the tables. Do we have to provide our own tables? If so are there specific sizes or are we alotted a certain amount of space? :bow:

Tables are usually provided. If I remember right, they were 6"x2", so that's usually the space you get, along with the space for your chairs behind the table. It also depends on how they have the Alley set up this year, but we're not sure of the setup, as they haven't released that yet. Last year, in certain areas had the tables in rows, back to back, so if you were in the centre, you had to share that behind-the-table space with the people on the other side of the row. If you along the wall or the balcony edge, then you had from behind your table to well... the wall or the balcony edge.

Hahah... Did that make sense?

Blazegryph
First Anime: InuYasha

Postby Blazegryph » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm

I have a question about subject matter in artwork. Is Youmacon's Artist Alley abiding by Disney/Marvel's request to not sell any fanart containing their characters/properties? I know there are also artists who have requested that fanart not be sold, such as HamletMachine (Starfighter) and the artist behind Homestuck.

The bigger conventions I have been to this year were rather strict with these rules, so I'm curious if Youmacon is following suite.

TheAC86

Postby TheAC86 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for that ForteGirl7, it helps a bit to know what we'll be working with, so all I have to worry about is display and rather or not all our merchandise (sharing the table w/ 2 others) will fit behind that space. I would also like to know about the fanart rules, as I was intending to do prints, when I am able to find a reasonably priced printing company. Should I just wait for the official paperwork? Knowing ahead of time would help more with the planning.

ForteGirl7

Postby ForteGirl7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 am

Blazegryph wrote:I have a question about subject matter in artwork. Is Youmacon's Artist Alley abiding by Disney/Marvel's request to not sell any fanart containing their characters/properties? I know there are also artists who have requested that fanart not be sold, such as HamletMachine (Starfighter) and the artist behind Homestuck.

The bigger conventions I have been to this year were rather strict with these rules, so I'm curious if Youmacon is following suite.

Ooo that is a very good question. Yeah, I'd like to know if that's being enforced this year too.

Atomsk

Postby Atomsk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I didn't see it anywhere on here, but I am part of a caricature and body artist team that are interested in coming to YoumaCon this year, and was wondering if there are any restrictions in that area. I assumed not since I didn't see anything listed above, but I figured it was better to ask.

ForteGirl7

Postby ForteGirl7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Atomsk wrote:I didn't see it anywhere on here, but I am part of a caricature and body artist team that are interested in coming to YoumaCon this year, and was wondering if there are any restrictions in that area. I assumed not since I didn't see anything listed above, but I figured it was better to ask.

I'm not sure about the tattoos, but I don't see any problems with caricature work. I mean, didn't there used to be a person in the Alley who did anime representations/versions of people? That's kinda like the same thing, right? So I think that would be fine. Tattoos/body art, I'm not sure on though.

CaptiveAura
First Anime: Soul Eater

Postby CaptiveAura » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Question regarding the hats. On the registration page it made it sound like you couldn't sell hats at all. And I went onto the dealers application and it says you can only sell licensed material. As I'm sure the rules will be the same next year, I just wanted to clear it up because I'm going to try and come as a seller next year. I've been reading through this post and I've seen that hats could be sold as long as it's not the only thing you sell, same with t-shirts.

One other thing, about plushies.... I know it's as long as it's not a design that is mass produced but what about something like My Little Pony plushies made from a specific pattern not based on the current plushies?

Thanks in advance, I know I have a lot of questions!

ETNsilverstar

Postby ETNsilverstar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:06 pm

The dealer's application is the wrong application to be looking at for your answer on hats. The AA application says no hats made from "fleece/felt or similar material", so I think it's only saying no to more basic, sewn hats. I'm not really sure though. I asked the same question myself elsewhere and still have not gotten a reply. My question was more in relation to crocheted hats though.

And if you scroll up, your plushie question was already answered. As long as it's not essentially a replica, you're good. If you're really worried, you can always show an example of what you have and see if they think that it's too close to the real thing. If it comes down to it, and you try to sell it, they'll just ask you to remove it from your table, in which case you obviously won't be able to sell them. That's just in case no one has a more specific answer for you.

Return to “Artists' Alley”