AA-DENIED LIST. (aka, what we can't let you sell)

Moderators: Hikaru0, Public Moderators

Shoprocks
First Anime: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Re: AA-DENIED LIST. (aka, what we can't let you sell)

Postby Shoprocks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 am

You made it clear in this thread that we can't sell doujinshi in the Artist's Alley, which I respect.

Hikaru0 wrote:The reason that you don't find doujinshi in the artist's alley is because of severe copyright limitations. Even if people were producing doujinshi at Youmacon, if it is seen, we have to request that the artist take it down. Companies that license anime/manga/games in America really do want that proceed a fan would be getting from selling their work. Even some Japanese companies have come down on American doujinshi circles. For some reason in Japan the view of doujinshi is seen as fan appreciation and free advertisement. In America it's viewed as copyright infringement and plagiarism. Hooray double standards.

Sad that it has to be that way, but American-made doujinshi has to be a non-profit effort. Most people who are aware of the copyright limitations don't want to put all that effort into something that they just have to give away. Thus: no doujinshi.

We do allow and encourage people to sell their own original graphic novels though. But, as it's been stated, getting one of those put together is both time consuming and sometimes a bit expensive with printing costs. Perhaps everyone should begin encouraging their favorite AA artists to put out their own manga. Sometimes people just need to know that there are others interested in their stories.

However, would we be able to put together art books that are printed in the same size and format as doujinshi? (I.e. if I created illustrations that were fanart but ultimately my own work, but put them in book form instead of prints. And there was little or no text.)

Also, I might make entirely original comics but print them so they look and feel like real doujinshi, because that's kind of fun. If I do this I plan to show it to a few influential staff members or forum mods ahead of time so they can affirm that it's all original material so I'll be able to sell them.

Or is all of this too risky and not really worth the trouble?

CaptiveAura
First Anime: Soul Eater

Postby CaptiveAura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 am

Okay, another weird question... Assuming we get into Youma this year (so impatient for table registration to open) would we be able to hold a raffle for our products. Like, sell tickets and raffle an item off?

Ebanbo
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Ebanbo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 am

can we sell food goods like bentos, cookies, and candies?

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Unfortunately no, unless it's replica food, then you're good to go.

CaptiveAura

Postby CaptiveAura » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Could you sell snacks like pocky IF you had a food vendor license?

Medieval
Technical Staff
First Anime: Star Blazers

Postby Medieval » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am

CaptiveAura wrote:Could you sell snacks like pocky IF you had a food vendor license?

no
This is my normal voice.
This is my mod voice
Please, please, don't make me use the mod voice.

CaptiveAura

Postby CaptiveAura » Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Medieval wrote:
CaptiveAura wrote:Could you sell snacks like pocky IF you had a food vendor license?

no

Is there any reason they don't allow it? Or is it that only people that are dealers can sell it? :)

Medieval
Technical Staff
First Anime: Star Blazers

Postby Medieval » Fri May 31, 2013 2:04 pm

CaptiveAura wrote:
Medieval wrote:

no

Is there any reason they don't allow it? Or is it that only people that are dealers can sell it? :)

1. Pocky and such would be dealer items, not artist.
2. Cobo said no food item sales, other than that of the union.

Maybe at some point we'll be able to work with Cobo some more to allow the dealers to have the japanese snacks again, but that is not going to happen any time soon most likely.
This is my normal voice.

This is my mod voice

Please, please, don't make me use the mod voice.

ETNsilverstar

Postby ETNsilverstar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm

To go with what is unsellable, I think it should be safe to assume homestuck fan art will not be allowed. The artist for homestuck requested fan art not be allowed to be sold at shutocon (not sure if they specifically asked shutocon to say no or if it's a statement they put on their website) so I think it's safe to say they don't want any fan art sold. Figured everyone should have a heads up on this so they don't get into any trouble.

karmada

Postby karmada » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm

ETNsilverstar wrote:To go with what is unsellable, I think it should be safe to assume homestuck fan art will not be allowed. The artist for homestuck requested fan art not be allowed to be sold at shutocon (not sure if they specifically asked shutocon to say no or if it's a statement they put on their website) so I think it's safe to say they don't want any fan art sold. Figured everyone should have a heads up on this so they don't get into any trouble.

I believe it was an blanket statement for all conventions and selling in general. (I was trying to find the cease & desist, but it eluded me for the moment)

He requested that people no longer sell prints, buttons, cosplay paraphernalia (horns and the like), pretty much anything pre-made, pre-drawn, or mass-produced.

However, commissions I believe still fall into the realm of "allowable", if I remember correctly.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Don't Drink and Derive.
5/4 people have problems with fractions.

linksliltri4ce
First Anime: Deathnote

Postby linksliltri4ce » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Hikaru0 wrote:#4-DO NOT SELL CLOTHING/COSPLAY IN THE ALLEY.
-This applies to everything BUT T-SHIRTS at this time. This means you cannot sell full cosplay, historical, gothic lolita or your personal fashions in the alley. The Dealers Room is more suited for this type of product.
-YOU CAN sell accessories such as bracelets, fans, headbands, underclothes, necklaces (and all things similar), and you CAN sell commissions of your work that a customer can choose from a binder. You can also have a binder filled with samples of your work to sell to your customers outside of the alley.

My answer is probably a no, but I thought I'd ask... since t-shirts are allowed, would costume hoodies be allowed too? Or do those fall under the full clothing/cosplay category? Also, since t-shirts are allowed, does that mean costume t-shirts (like a t-shirt tuxedo for example) allowed as well?
My cosplay/commission site at http://www.linksliltri4ce.webstarts.com
and my online store http://www.vendio.com/stores/linksliltri4ce

Come check out my Zelda collection!!! http://linksliltri4cezeldacollection.weebly.com/

ETNsilverstar

Postby ETNsilverstar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

Tshirts are only allowed when it is your own artwork on them. If you did a tuxedo design of some kind that was completely your own, I have to assume it would be allowed. Not sure about the hoodies...good question!

WeeabooWarehouse
First Anime: Hellsing

Postby WeeabooWarehouse » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:38 pm

linksliltri4ce wrote:
Hikaru0 wrote:#4-DO NOT SELL CLOTHING/COSPLAY IN THE ALLEY.
-This applies to everything BUT T-SHIRTS at this time. This means you cannot sell full cosplay, historical, gothic lolita or your personal fashions in the alley. The Dealers Room is more suited for this type of product.
-YOU CAN sell accessories such as bracelets, fans, headbands, underclothes, necklaces (and all things similar), and you CAN sell commissions of your work that a customer can choose from a binder. You can also have a binder filled with samples of your work to sell to your customers outside of the alley.

My answer is probably a no, but I thought I'd ask... since t-shirts are allowed, would costume hoodies be allowed too? Or do those fall under the full clothing/cosplay category? Also, since t-shirts are allowed, does that mean costume t-shirts (like a t-shirt tuxedo for example) allowed as well?

Yea I'm curious about the hoodies too. Thanks!

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 am

At this time upper torso wear of hoodies, sweatshirts, t-shirts and towel-capes are fine. The conchair is still teetering on the fence about throwing them into the no no pool with cosplay so be prepared, the rule could change at any time.

LillyInverse

Postby LillyInverse » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

What about things like arm-warmers? I consider them 'accessories' (cuz I wouldn't walk out without a shirt but with a pair of arm-warmers xD) but I'd like to be sure.

Another thing I was curious about - if we listed that we would like to sell something that is decided to be disallowed from AA but we have a list of other things which are allowed in AA, would our table request be cancelled or could we just be told not to bring those things? I'd hate to have to apply again, or worse, miss out on a table because I didn't really think something like arm warmers would be 'clothes' >.< Please let me know when you can, thanks!

Return to “Artists' Alley”