Official Youmacon 2009 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fifth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby Chamelion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:47 pm

When a person selects platinum, let them choose a selection of perks to go with it.

I never use the game tournament coupon, but what if there was coupons and each platinum got to choose three when they registered online.

1. Maid Cafe
2. Free shirt
3. Game Tournament
4. Masquerade Ball
5. Front of line for a single autograph session (if three guests are part of the session, they can get three autographs)

I myself would pick 1, 2 and 5. Someone else would select 2, 3, 4.

You would know before the con for all platinum people what to expect for the lines.

C
---------------------------------------
I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.

tznkai

Postby tznkai » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Lukage wrote:So were the guests for the concert expected to play that long Friday night? My Dear Disco played FOREVER.....it was half an hour over the concert's schedule before they even were done playing.

No. Things running over time, you will learn, is the rule, not the exception, in pretty much all of the world.

iheartspoonshine

Postby iheartspoonshine » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Chamelion wrote:When a person selects platinum, let them choose a selection of perks to go with it.

I think that's a pretty good idea, but I think it might be hard for the staff to actually keep track of which platinum chooses what. I know it would end up being on the honor system, but I can also see where that might not happen. I think that it could work well for the maid cafe and the ball (maybe different stickers or something on the badges of the platinums that choose one or the other), though. I do not use the game tournament ticket either, but I do take advantage of one of the autograph signings per set of guests (like i went to the michael/wayne and the caitlin/laura/travis signing--but only the ones on Saturday). I still think that strictly limiting platinums to one item and one photo per guest at the signings may work the best for the autograph debate.

2012 Plans: Lolita Blue, Blue, Formal Blue (obviously I really like to cosplay Blue, lol) Ran Mao, Ms. Swan.

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee

Postby Chamelion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:53 pm

iheartspoonshine wrote:
Chamelion wrote:When a person selects platinum, let them choose a selection of perks to go with it.

I think that's a pretty good idea, but I think it might be hard for the staff to actually keep track of which platinum chooses what. I know it would end up being on the honor system, but I can also see where that might not happen. I think that it could work well for the maid cafe and the ball (maybe different stickers or something on the badges of the platinums that choose one or the other), though. I do not use the game tournament ticket either, but I do take advantage of one of the autograph signings per set of guests (like i went to the michael/wayne and the caitlin/laura/travis signing--but only the ones on Saturday). I still think that strictly limiting platinums to one item and one photo per guest at the signings may work the best for the autograph debate.

I don't know, but is Platinum reserved strictly to online registration before Sept 30th? If so, when a person registers, there's a spot to check mark 3 out of the 5-6 choices, and if they want any more then three, they pay an additional $ on top of it. When they pick up their badges, they are given tickets specifically for the three choices they selected. This let's staff know whom to expect where and for what, and eliminate turning the tickets in for other tickets at the check in booth in artist alley (which is something many people forget to do, and get taken out of line)

C

KaZoMa
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: M0use.

2009 Feedback

Postby KaZoMa » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Goods
The hotel was still lovely by all means.
the staff was a bit more friendly which I like ^^
the whole Annual conca at closeing Ceremonies, that was alot of fun :D let's do it again!
the game room was well done! excellent and superb.
The staff was azaming. kudos
the spoony bards, you can't have Youmacon without them D: keep them.
CHAIR :D X3
good crowd control.
The guest was awesome, Brad was a trip. I hope we have him next year :D

Bad.
I couldn't stay at the rave for long because there were some few annoy drunk people so I left around 2: oo am.
I hope next year the dealers room would be bigger. ^^;
I believe on thursday that some one bring a nerf guns? and I hear from my friends that they been shot at outside in the parking lot. could this issue be address? please and thank you love.
I would love to know the people who were taking picture if they were from a site on the internet so I would be more easyer to find photos.
Youmacon is my life. It gave me strength in myself. Morgan, you really made something that I hold dear & near to my very heart & soul. Thank you.

iheartspoonshine

Postby iheartspoonshine » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Chamelion wrote:If so, when a person registers, there's a spot to check mark 3 out of the 5-6 choices, and if they want any more then three, they pay an additional $ on top of it.

Ok, so what if I only want to have the autograph lines be my choices, and forego my other two choices? Like I want two/three autograph priorities, and, say, the maid cafe. Also, would people have to chose which autograph session they would like to attend? I'm only thinking that this may be difficult as the schedule/final guests are not necessarily up by the time pre-reg closes. Do you think that maybe there could be an option for choosing that specific perk more than once since it is a possiblity? How much extra money do you think would be fair? I'm sure that people anti-platinum would see that as not being acceptable... I'm not trying to aruge with you or anything, just brainstorming ^_^. Here's something else I thought of, along with the ticket idea: what if instead of people having to choose what events/items (except people could include intentions pertaining the ball and the cafe) they want to attend when they pre-reg, what if platinums got 3 (or so) tickets that they could use as they decided? Just since things change so frequently for people, I could see that becoming a mess, too. For example, if you signed up for autograph session A on Friday afternoon, but there is a photoshoot at that same time, but the guests are signing again Saturday afternoon, would you have to lose your perk because you signed up for the "wrong" time? Sorry if that's confusing....

2012 Plans: Lolita Blue, Blue, Formal Blue (obviously I really like to cosplay Blue, lol) Ran Mao, Ms. Swan.

0DDJ0B
Technical Staff
First Anime: Love Hina

Postby 0DDJ0B » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:53 pm

nekatsim wrote:This was my first Youmacon and I thought everything was fantastic.

The only thing is I think the rave went on too long. I was waiting for Mario Party After Hours to start and I ended up falling asleep before it started. :(

I heard it was really awesome though and I hope try again next year!

Sorry about that. With the cosplay starting late and ending late, everything for the dance got pushed back, and thus pushed the rest of the evening back. With the move to the new venue next year, hopefully, the dance and MPAD will be able to run simultaneously. :)
Keith Lesinski
2005-2014 - Technical Department, ADH - Audio
Twitter | Soundcloud | Beatport
#TeamCOBO

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee

Postby Chamelion » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 am

iheartspoonshine wrote:
Chamelion wrote:If so, when a person registers, there's a spot to check mark 3 out of the 5-6 choices, and if they want any more then three, they pay an additional $ on top of it.

Ok, so what if I only want to have the autograph lines be my choices, and forego my other two choices? Like I want two/three autograph priorities, and, say, the maid cafe. Also, would people have to chose which autograph session they would like to attend? I'm only thinking that this may be difficult as the schedule/final guests are not necessarily up by the time pre-reg closes. Do you think that maybe there could be an option for choosing that specific perk more than once since it is a possiblity? How much extra money do you think would be fair? I'm sure that people anti-platinum would see that as not being acceptable... I'm not trying to aruge with you or anything, just brainstorming ^_^. Here's something else I thought of, along with the ticket idea: what if instead of people having to choose what events/items (except people could include intentions pertaining the ball and the cafe) they want to attend when they pre-reg, what if platinums got 3 (or so) tickets that they could use as they decided? Just since things change so frequently for people, I could see that becoming a mess, too. For example, if you signed up for autograph session A on Friday afternoon, but there is a photoshoot at that same time, but the guests are signing again Saturday afternoon, would you have to lose your perk because you signed up for the "wrong" time? Sorry if that's confusing....

I know you;re not arguing, we're brainstorming as you said.

I can't say I have the details mapped out for how it would work. I know when I get the tickets at Pre-reg, I have to turn one in for either the cafe OR the ball. I think adding more check marks for two of one item (two autograph sessions) would be okay. As for things happening at the same time, that happens the entire weekend for all stuff. I had to miss a couple panels that took place during other events I wanted to see; that really can not be helped.

I would say the ticket for an autograph would allow those with them to get in the Platinum line at Autograph sessions, any of them. Much like needing a ticket for the Maid Cafe even with a Plat badge is necessary. This way, you can choose WHICH session you attend.

C

Soul Eat3R
First Anime: Happy Lesson

Postby Soul Eat3R » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:40 am

I never use the game tournament coupon, but what if there was coupons and each platinum got to choose three when they registered online.

1. Maid Cafe
2. Free shirt
3. Game Tournament
4. Masquerade Ball
5. Front of line for a single autograph session (if three guests are part of the session, they can get three autographs)

I myself would pick 1, 2 and 5. Someone else would select 2, 3, 4.

You would know before the con for all platinum people what to expect for the lines.

C

Me personally I was sick of waiting in line for 2 hours to get signatures by Laura, Travis and Catlin as a regular attendee. with what 5000 + next year, I might just have to go Platnium. But with that being said, I don't go the Masqurade, I go to the gaming room, i get autographs, and I would like to go to the mid cafe, i never been there. But if i go platnium, i want first shots at signatures most of all, access to game tourneys and a special token bag full of youmacon goodies, but having certain perks sounds like a good idea, but some people do more then just 3 of the perks and if your paying an extra 100 it better be worth it. there was a good deal going on this year. if there's a good deal next year, i'll go platnium.
Attending since 07...YESSIR!!

lilyclairwell

Re: The Ball

Postby lilyclairwell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 am

iheartspoonshine wrote:I just thought of something concerning the ball and the DJ. I went to request a song (Love Shack), and while the DJ did have it he said that since it wasn't a strict "swing or waltz" he couldn't play it because he wasn't allowed to. I didn't see a lot of people requesting songs, so I'm not sure if this would open up a big can of worms, but would it be acceptable to allow songs to be played that were requested even if they aren't swing or waltz-y types?

The idea behind the charity ball is "classy". We try to keep this dance from turning into a high school dance. Music like Love Shack is played at most typical dances, and we're trying to have a stand-out event.

With that in mind, the DJ was allowed to let loose after midnight. But, like he said, everyone cleared out soon after. Maybe it had something to do with the ballroom music being over?

iheartspoonshine

Re: The Ball

Postby iheartspoonshine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 am

lilyclairwell wrote:The idea behind the charity ball is "classy". We try to keep this dance from turning into a high school dance. Music like Love Shack is played at most typical dances, and we're trying to have a stand-out event.

With that in mind, the DJ was allowed to let loose after midnight. But, like he said, everyone cleared out soon after. Maybe it had something to do with the ballroom music being over?

I mostly requested that since lots of the action on the dance floor was waning, and thought that maybe that could bring people back, but I totally understand ^_^. I think that lots of people were clearing out because the rave was starting soon.

Warsmen
First Anime: Dragon ball Z

Postby Warsmen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Good:
-Everything was planned much better this year
-I got to hang out with my girlfriend! (Not con related)
-The staff was a little nicer
-All the amazing cosplays
-Gaming room was set up nicely

Bad:
-One staff member (African American women) I can agree with, at one point I asked her if the big line at around 10 was the line for the rave she replied "You should be in bed." I'm 19 years old, I know I look young but that gives her no
right to treat me like I'm her kid or something. Then she said come back in 45 mins and everyone will be able to get in...came back 45 mins and then NOTHING, I was still stuck in the line.

-Though this isn't the cons fault, the Dealers room was small...there was a lot of variety don't get me wrong, but I would like it so it is a little more roomy.

-Some staff used their power to get their friends on an elevator by saying it was some sort of "emergency" then right when he got into the elevator he said "I can say that because I'm staff." I'm sorry but that's just rude.

Other then that the con was amazing! :D
Cosplays for 2010:
Star - Arakawa Under the Bridge
(100%)
Mammon (Viper) - Hitman Reborn
Sudowoodo - Pokemon (100%)

Soul Eat3R
First Anime: Happy Lesson

Postby Soul Eat3R » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:25 pm

This year can all the photoshooting please be done inside. For the last 2 years we've lost cosplayers for our Soul Eater shoot because we were sent outside, not to mention the wind kinda screwed up a few peoples costumes as well, can we please have a soul eater photoshoot or all photoshoots inside this time PLzzzzzz
Attending since 07...YESSIR!!

Azerlee
Volunteering DH

Postby Azerlee » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 am

fantasytiger86 wrote: I don’t agree that Volunteer’s should have been allowed to cut in front of the platinum badge holders in anything. Nor do I agree that they should have been given free access to anything ahead of everyone.

I would just like to note that volunteers are not allowed to cut in front of platinum badge holders for any event. They are not even allowed to jump the line with the normal badge holders.

If any volunteers were jumping lines to events they were doing it on their own. No one in volunteering told them that it was allowed or acceptable.

We will be more careful to inform them of this in the future.

ValenciaCrowe
Video Programming Staff

Postby ValenciaCrowe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Soul Eat3R wrote:This year can all the photoshooting please be done inside. For the last 2 years we've lost cosplayers for our Soul Eater shoot because we were sent outside, not to mention the wind kinda screwed up a few peoples costumes as well, can we please have a soul eater photoshoot or all photoshoots inside this time PLzzzzzz

It was planned for inside, but another photoshoot was still going on so people went outside.
YoumaCon '10:
-Menardi [Golden Sun] 0%
-Bunnie Rabbot [Sonic SatAM] 0%
-Julie-Su [Knuckles the Echidna] 0%
-Belldandy [Ah! My Goddess] 0%
-Hooker! Blair [Soul Eater] 100%

Return to “2009 Memories”