Official Youmacon 2009 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fifth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Operations DH
First Anime: Candy Candy

Official Youmacon 2009 Feedback Thread

Postby tohru_tohru » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Here's the official feedback thread for the 2009 Youmacon convention.

Please respond with your comments and concerns. If you feel you need to respond in a private or anonymous manner, please PM me with the title "2009 Feedback".

What did we do right? What did we do wrong? What should we keep in mind for next year? What should we keep and what should we change?

Tell us your thoughts!
"Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now."
-- Alan Lakein

First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin

Postby Faerie » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:17 pm

the good:
* the people in the game room were really good about sharing
*beautiful location
*everything really ran smoothly and was just well organized
*impressive cosplays, I enjoyed taking pictures around the convention
*friendly crowd
*the spoony bards

the bad:
*there was this one security person who was always telling me and my two friends to move because we were a "fire hazard". it was fine at first and we were understanding and cooperative and didn't have a problem at all. but after awhile, it got to the point that no matter where we stood, she would hunt us down and scold us for it. one time we were standing with a large group of people and we were the only ones she got at for standing...after awhile it started to get funny it was so bad
*I don't know if this was just during the one time I went into the game room or if it happened all weekend, but I really discourage having a band in the game room again. it's not that the quality of music is bad, but it was so loud, I could not hear myself think. call me an old lady if you want, but I cannot stand loud music. I don't think someone was considering the fact that not everyone likes having their eardrums violently shaken up. my friend wanted to play the para para machine too but gave up after realizing she couldn't even enjoy it because she couldn't even hear the song she was supposed to be dancing to.
*I would suggest looking into dealers who sell more video game merchandise, I'm not a huge anime fan (though there are some series I like), but I was looking for some video game stuff(posters, figures, bags, anything) and it really seemed that you had to dig for it, if you could find it at all.

it was really an amazing convention. it's now my favorite! I definately look forward to next year. well done everyone!

Chie Chan

Postby Chie Chan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:54 pm

- Less confusing than last year.
- Less people were giving out hugs this year. (What I've seen.)
- Great Hotel.

- Elevators, even though they were an improvment from last year. Since my room was right by the stairs it sounded like a bowling alley with all the people running/walking upstairs.
- Dealer's Room, it's way to small. I don't know how they get everything and everybody in there.
Cosplay 2010
Boris Airay - Heart no Kuni no Alice - 0 %

Ichigo Ikane
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:37 pm

I loved the con. It was a lot of fun, and I met some cool people. There was a really nice atmosphere about the place, and it made me feel really welcome.

Only real big complaint I have is the elevator situation. I was a nervous wreck in the elevators ever since my friend told me a horror story from Anime North. It seemed like no matter how hard I tried to tell people "The elevator was full" they just kept coming in! Some of them were really rude about it too.

First Anime: Chobits

Postby xDarkReality » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:52 pm

-The people were generally polite and nice.
-Interesting cosplays.

-The size of the hotel. It was so small this year and so crowded, unlike last year. It seemed so huge then, but now with the growing amount of people, it's really great that their taking it to the Renaissance Center.
-The elevators. They got SO crowded and sometimes I had to wait up to a HALF HOUR for one. It was chaos.
-The dealers room. It was much too small and It was so hard to move about. People were literally attacking others to get certain things they wanted. I also heard from a nice lady in a wheelchair, that she was PUSHED out of the way well she was looking at something in the Dealers room.

Overall though, It was a good convention. I'm defiantly coming back for a fourth year. :3
'13 Cosplay:
Princess Bubblegum (?) // Adventure Time
Crona // Soul Eater

First Anime: Totoro!

Postby glorwen » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

-More manga and anime in the dealers' room! I was really disappointed last year by the small amount of anime and manga in the dealers' room, but I was happy to see a lot more this year!
-a lot more organization (thank the Lord)
-better crowd control

-Technical difficulties seemed to be the theme of the weekend....
-drunk people. everywhere.
-the whole game (sorry) thing. I mean, honestly? how often can you do that?!?!?

Overall, the con was much improved from last year. I think that the renaissance center is a really good idea, since it's built for conventions.... XD
Youmacon '12 Cosplays:
Quorra from TRON: Legacy (100%)
Clara from Doctor Who (100%)
Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games (100%)
Merida from Brave (0%)

Ichigo Ikane
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

glorwen wrote:Good:
-More manga and anime in the dealers' room! I was really disappointed last year by the small amount of anime and manga in the dealers' room, but I was happy to see a lot more this year!
-a lot more organization (thank the Lord)
-better crowd control

XD I forgot to mention CHAIR!!!! Most epic thing ever.

Postby MIRAI87 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey, drunk people everywhere is awesome. Typically much friendlier.

Unless they're not, or they're falling over. Then they suck.

Postby Solo-dono » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:24 pm

The good
- Guests. AMAZING!
-Air conditioned Rave! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
-Friendly Staff; I didn't have problems with anyone this year!
-Price. The major thing about Youmacon that keeps me coming back is the price of the hotel and the tickets compared to other cons.
-Game room! FREE! THANK YOU!

The bad
- Times & Places for events. The Little Kuriboh panel and Team Four Star Panels were MUCH to small for how many people wanted to go to them; as were the ParaPara Panel
-Potter Puppet Pals! WHY does have to be on a Sunday EVERY YEAR?! It's the worst day for such an early event; everyone is trying to get their things out of their rooms so they're not over charged and by the time we get everything out to the car the line is ROUNDING the Lobby. I wasn't going to even try. So discouraging.
-Dealers room. - Of course, it was too small. That's why we're changing loctations, Right?
-Location/Size of the Hotel. It's SUPER hard to find places for photos where you're not going to be in the way of someone. But again; That's why we're changing locations
-Elevators. Enough said.

All in all I had an AMAZING time even though I wasn't able to get into half the panels I wanted to because of how crowded they were.
Cosplays for '11:
**** Grayson - 100%
Robin (Young Justice) - 95%
Lucy in the Sky (The Runaways) - 90%
Fluttershy (MLP:Fim) - 80%
Abel (Starfighter) - 85%

Postby Luffluff » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:38 pm

The good-
-Great staff this year!
-Tons of friendly people.
-Game room was packed full of great variety, and plenty of space to move around in.
-Some amazing cosplays, as always.
-None of the rooms anywhere really smelled bad at all! I was shocked, however that happened keep it up! Lol.
-Love the Hyatt and surrounding area, but I'm looking forward to a bigger area next year!

The bad-
-Elevators (can't be helped though D: )
-People on full elevators bein kinda rude about keeping you off them, I understand that some people can be jerks and crowd in a full elevator, but also some people can be paranoid jerks and say their elevator is full when its really not.
-The delay in the con suite opening and the lack of food after uh, friday was it? I guess that's kind of a petty complaint there, since it was packed full of plenty of faygo Lol.

Youma 2010!
Todd Ingram - Scott P vs the world - 80%
Lawrence - Spice and Wolf -85%
???? - ???? - 100%?!

Postby tedbob » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:40 pm

The only complaint I really have is not to the Youmacon staff, but a lot of the attendee's who don't understand how to respect the hotel AND their staff.

I couldn't believe the massive messes left behind at 2am Friday and saturday night. For **** sakes, children, learn to clean up after yourselves.

Also, nothing wrong with goofing around, or getting a little drunk, but learn when you're going a little overboard.

Postby Webbster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:49 pm

-Palling around with the Batman villains Saturday as the Riddler. Really fun!
-Everything else not mentioned in the "Bad"

-Lack of social skills for a couple of the Youmacon officials. I get that you've been dealing with idiots some of the day but you can tell us to move a lot more politely than you did.
-Elevators (Duh)
-Hotel had hidden charges about pointless crap, glad it's a new venue next year
2011 Cosplay Ideas:
-Batman: TAS Riddler
-Captain America
-TF2 Red Sniper
-TF2 Red Spy

Postby patrickbooya » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Great year as always.

This year did feel a bit different than usual maybe less 'big family' like. No biggy though.

There was no such thing as being bored.

I always had a bad social problem. I had to get an emergency hair cut so my hair would fit under my wig (lol)
so that kinda worsened it.

Game room was great too, good selection.

Can't wait for the new hotel next year!

Also, the $50 dollar deposit for the hotel was bull. I'm pretty sure they didn't have it last year.
Didn't expect it and left me almost poor for the con.
Last edited by patrickbooya on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby moonlakecatlady » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Over all, the con was pretty good. just as fun as last year. The only thing that i have any negative feelings about is when i tried to get into the maid cafe during the guest hour. Now, granted, this was my first year with a platinum pass, so it's understandable that i'd have a misconception or two about some things, but, i've got to wonder something. I can understand non-platinum attendees needing to show a staff member that blue piece of paper to get in after spending $10 on it, but why did I, being a person who paid $100 for the honor of being a platinum attendee, have to also show a staff member this blue piece of paper? Could i have not just shown them my platinum pass, or perhaps at least have gotten the usual privledge of being placed in front of the non-platinum attendees? I ended up waiting away that hour that i had the privledge of being able to go to that friday night, (I will admit that there was an error on my behalf because i didn't understand that i was supposed to trade the tan voucher for a blue ticket) and even if i did get the blue ticket in time, i wouldn't have been able to enjoy it with my friend because he lost his tan voucher. I was really looking forward to enjoying the company of the various guests in the maid cafe during the actual hour they were supposed to be there with my friend, but because of that whole tan voucher/blue ticket buisness, i ended up wasting an hour and a half of my time worrying if i would get in in time to see the guests, when i could've been out having fun doing something else.

Postby beamo616 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:28 pm

*Cosplay contestants where at a closer location to the masquerade event
*Photo shoots where very well scheduled
*Most Hyatt staff, people and cosplayers had great attitude

*Youamcon staff members were uptight and crabby, also jumping into conclusions without hypothesis
*Contest judging - poor interviews
*Parking - On Friday, limited parking was available
*Dealer room should have more unity and variety - poor location and too small
*Guns, props and weapons control - hardly any weapons check, saw so many people with airsoft guns and mostly wasn't tagged - also people that have already been checked were already checked multiple times before
*Platinums at times weren't allowed to go in front of event lines - there were hardly set lines for platinums
Cosplayer 07 - present
Shuyin - FFX-2 - 100%
Male School Uniform - Bible Black - 100%
Gundam Exia Repair - Gundam 00 - 100%

Return to “2009 Memories”