Official Youmacon 2009 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fifth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Gizmo Crisis

Postby Gizmo Crisis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Cowboy Shogun wrote:Well, it looks like a lot of people didn't want us in the game room.

Here's the deal, guys. We've been doing this for a while, and somehow we still can't get into main programming. We KNOW the game room isn't the best spot for it, but there's nothing WE can do about it. If you like us but want us moved somewhere else, tell the relevant con staffers that we need to be in main programming.

For the record, we had fun and a lot of people seemed to enjoy our shows. Sorry if you didn't, but we put an immense amount of work into what we do, and we agree that we need to be somewhere more appropriate, for our benefit AND yours.

Sorry, I guess. We played for an hour at most on each day. The games were there 24/7 for the duration of the con.

>;O I beg a differ.
you guys were AMAZING.
i loved dancing in the game room XD
even if it was small and crowded.
the panda is by far the cutest thing ever.
and your songs were very well played =D
you are one big band of good looks ;DD
C:

DynaBlade
First Anime: Hamtaro, Pokemon

Postby DynaBlade » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Being my first year at Youmacon, I didn't really know what to expect. But once I was there, I had a BLAST!!! Next year I'm hoping to go for more than one day! Thanks to the staff and guests for making my first Con a memorable experiance!!!
Cosplay Plans:
Kraken (EarthBound) [Progress: 90%] [Needs some repairwork on tail]
Junpei (Zero Escape: 999) [Progress: 80%] [I need to make that freakin' watch...]

ValenciaCrowe
Video Programming Staff

Postby ValenciaCrowe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Another bad:

This one staff member, and I'm not going to name names, got mad at me when I asked when I can pick up my staff badge. He was all like, "Hold on! The badges aren't even ready yet." etc. etc. in a very rude manner. I'm sorry that I was new and knew nearly nothing that was going on.
Last edited by ValenciaCrowe on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoumaCon '10:
-Menardi [Golden Sun] 0%
-Bunnie Rabbot [Sonic SatAM] 0%
-Julie-Su [Knuckles the Echidna] 0%
-Belldandy [Ah! My Goddess] 0%
-Hooker! Blair [Soul Eater] 100%

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 pm

dairylives wrote:My biggest problem is that there was some pretty awkward moments in the rave, encouraged by staff. The fact that the "popular crowd" whatever that means, could go on stage, but no one else could was just a bit ridiculous. People were getting kicked off stage, but others could come and go as they pleased. I think its a little odd that this sort of juvenile behavior is encouraged or allowed by staff. It should be staff, specific performers, or no one in my opinion. I saw a lot of people being treated like crap, and it just reminded me of situations that a lot of people go to cons to get away from.

I'm curious as to what the method of this was. I would like a staff response, as this is something that may be easily explained.

Medieval
Technical Staff
First Anime: Star Blazers

Postby Medieval » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:53 pm

dairylives wrote:
dairylives wrote:My biggest problem is that there was some pretty awkward moments in the rave, encouraged by staff. The fact that the "popular crowd" whatever that means, could go on stage, but no one else could was just a bit ridiculous. People were getting kicked off stage, but others could come and go as they pleased. I think its a little odd that this sort of juvenile behavior is encouraged or allowed by staff. It should be staff, specific performers, or no one in my opinion. I saw a lot of people being treated like crap, and it just reminded me of situations that a lot of people go to cons to get away from.

I'm curious as to what the method of this was. I would like a staff response, as this is something that may be easily explained.

Being part of the tech crew (and back stage for almost the entirety of the dance/rave), the only person I was aware of trying to kick people off stage, was part of DJ Toshi's crew (not staff), which he did only at the beginning of his set, and was an attempt to make room for the dancers that came along specifically for him. Anything after that I wasn't aware of personally.
Last edited by Medieval on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my normal voice.
This is my mod voice
Please, please, don't make me use the mod voice.

Chibi Siren

Postby Chibi Siren » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:56 pm

The Commodore wrote:
ketsueki_raven wrote:-The drunk guy on the elevator who had an open bottle in the 12 pack he was transporting upstairs

The reminds me, at one point I saw a guy walking around in the lobby with an open beer, and I believe I saw someone drinking wine out there too, though it is stated clearly in the program that no open alcohol is allowed in convention space. Hmm.

I noticed that there was someone with an open container of beer that came into the video rooms. I asked him what it was and he told me, but apparently he had gotten it from the hotel and the hotel allowed him to carry it around and drink it. I was unsure that we could do anything about it if the hotel itself allowed it.

Also. I apologize if I was rude to anyone during the con. However, the only time I remember being rude is when I was rushing equipment down the stairs on Saturday and repeatedly asked some people who were screaming at the top of their lungs and plugging up the stairwell at the third floor entry way to move so I may get by. I was in a rush and even though I asked politely, they were shouting so loud that I had to scream and they still didn't move. So my bf and I had to shove ourselves through which caused me to almost knock someone downstairs. I apologized to them quickly for that though, because they weren't one of the ones involved in the screaming smushed mess. Again, I'm sorry for being rude, but sometimes it's necessary.
DeviantArt: http://chibisiren.deviantart.com/
Possible 2012 cosplays:
Gwendolyn (Odin Sphere)

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Medieval wrote:
dairylives wrote:

Being part of the tech crew (and back stage for almost the entirety of the dance/rave), the only person I was aware of trying to kick people off stage, was part of DJ Toshi's crew (not staff), which he did only at the beginning of his set, and was an attempt to make room for the dancers that came along specifically for him. Anything after that I wasn't aware of personally.

Well in the future i would suggest clearly defined rules, or better moderation. At a certain time i counted over 12 people that just waltzed up there. It was only acceptable, apparently, because they were friends with some of the people already up there. meanwhile people seeing this and following suit got rudely told to get off, during the exact moment others just hopped right up and got greeted with a hug. Its kinda ridiculous.

Judo Creature
First Anime: shinzo

Oops.

Postby Judo Creature » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Faerie wrote:the bad:
*there was this one security person who was always telling me and my two friends to move because we were a "fire hazard". it was fine at first and we were understanding and cooperative and didn't have a problem at all. but after awhile, it got to the point that no matter where we stood, she would hunt us down and scold us for it. one time we were standing with a large group of people and we were the only ones she got at for standing...after awhile it started to get funny it was so bad

Webbster wrote:Bad:
-Lack of social skills for a couple of the Youmacon officials. I get that you've been dealing with idiots some of the day but you can tell us to move a lot more politely than you did.

Aryoshi wrote:BAD
-One and I only mean one staff member. The lady during the dance that went near the gift shop yelling at us for single file. I understand she was doing her job to make it go faster and easier for us, including clearing up the halls. But when she yelled at some girls that were dancing (not in the halls mind you, not even horseplay it was that waggy ear dance what ever the name is) that bugged me alot and seemed un-professional.

daegan wrote:She is an older African-American woman, and on Saturday night she was wearing a gray security hoodie. I still haven't got her name because it was too small to read off of her badge. This same woman screamed at me last year for being loud in the hotel lobby at 11pm on Saturday night.

Well, I wasn't gonna say anything, but obviously this has gotten far too common to continue to be overlooked.

I know exactly who all of you are referring to. That's because she lives with me. Her name is Dee, and she's a student at the kung-fu school. Our Sifu is the head of security, which is why she volunteers year after year.

As a fellow volunteer and a housemate of Dee, I feel obligated to strongly suggest that you take your complaints to Owen Matson, who is the head of security. This is not unusual for Dee. She lives in my house and treats me like I am a child--in fact, despite the fact that I am already eighteen and was given permission by my mother [permission that I did not need] to stay as late at the con as I pleased she began yelling at me when I did not want to go back to our hotel, and insisted that I call my mother -- who was sleeping -- to ask permission to stay late. This was done in front of several unrelated people who were made significantly uncomfortable by her childish behaviour.

She is a bit of a control freak. I've seen it with her multiple times when she has yelled at me for things that are not her business, and has tried to run my life from inside my own **** house. I'm not surprised that she carries this from our house to the convention, because. Well. It's her personality.

Beyond which, I'd like to apologize for any of her harassment or unprofessional behaviour. As someone who attends the same kung-fu school and volunteers on security alongside her, I would like to stress that she in no way represents the rest of our security staff. Beyond that, I know [or at least hope] that if many people were to direct complaints then her duties would be re-assigned or that Sifu would talk to her and make sure that next year she would not repeat the kind of harassment that has been seen this year and years previous.

I sincerely hope that Dee's behaviour will not dissuade you from attending Youmacon in the future. Our staff is very competent and I'm sure that her antics will be quickly ended once the higher-ups are aware of the situation.

Beyond that, hope you all had a great time at the con! --Judo

chiyokorose
Live Programming Staff
First Anime: Dragon Ball

Postby chiyokorose » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Cowboy Shogun wrote:Well, it looks like a lot of people didn't want us in the game room.

Here's the deal, guys. We've been doing this for a while, and somehow we still can't get into main programming. We KNOW the game room isn't the best spot for it, but there's nothing WE can do about it. If you like us but want us moved somewhere else, tell the relevant con staffers that we need to be in main programming.

For the record, we had fun and a lot of people seemed to enjoy our shows. Sorry if you didn't, but we put an immense amount of work into what we do, and we agree that we need to be somewhere more appropriate, for our benefit AND yours.

Sorry, I guess. We played for an hour at most on each day. The games were there 24/7 for the duration of the con.

It would make more sense for you to be in main programming, I think you should talk with the department heads if you will. I will support you! I do agree the music was distracting from game play but you guys did an awesome job! Make a forum panel and have a seperate discussion about it, and get feedback on you being in main programming from other attendees. ((sorry if my typing is off, my computer monitor is all wacky today))
If anyone wants to keep in touch with me, send me an e-mail!

Lauren@Youmacon.com

Faerie
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin

Re: Oops.

Postby Faerie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Judo Creature wrote:
Beyond which, I'd like to apologize for any of her harassment or unprofessional behaviour.

aww, don't feel the need to blame yourself for this. I didn't have any kind of problem with other security! the apology is very thoughtful of you though. security did a great job this year for sure!

onestar
First Anime: Why is this a required field?
Location: I'm not sayin' that I'm the best, but uh, it's kinda obvious from the way you're hatin' on me

Postby onestar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 pm

You Guys = Fantastic
The Venue you got = Not as Fantastic.

You guys were AWESOME and one of the two bands I actually WANTED to see this year, WHY you guys got stuck in there is beyond me, but we (at least I) DON'T hold you guys responsible for it. Don't get down, you guys kickass, and as such, deserve a kickass venue. Which I'm sure you guys will get next year.
The Velvet Room | Metagame 3 | How to Con: Elegant Garden Party | to be revealed | to be revealed | Youmacon Achievements 2014

KraZGurl

Postby KraZGurl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm

onestar wrote:

You Guys = Fantastic
The Venue you got = Not as Fantastic.

You guys were AWESOME and one of the two bands I actually WANTED to see this year, WHY you guys got stuck in there is beyond me, but we (at least I) DON'T hold you guys responsible for it. Don't get down, you guys kickass, and as such, deserve a kickass venue. Which I'm sure you guys will get next year.

I don't hold them responsible for it, either. I'm just saying that their location sucks, because, if enough people say, they may actually be placed where they should be: in main programming.

I'd like to apologize for any of her harassment or unprofessional behaviour.

No need to apologize for her. She needs to apologize herself.
http://americanlink.deviantart.com My deviantART

Planned Cosplays:
Thursday: Steampunk(99%)
Friday: Kanaya, green dress (Homestuck)70%
Saturday: Troll Mage Redux (WoW)7%
Sunday: Regular Outfit Kanaya (Homestuck)90%

Soul Eat3R
First Anime: Happy Lesson

Postby Soul Eat3R » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Here's another pro I got to mingle with people at the bar and with people on the forums, It was a great feeling and sociable experience. Also the Guest;s this year were awsome especially kyle, Laura, Travis, and of course Little Kuriboh :)
Attending since 07...YESSIR!!

Seraphim
Technical Staff

Postby Seraphim » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Just a few complaints...

- The staff commandeering elevators. I understand it's necessary, but several of the times when it was done, it was done in a very rude manner. It's okay if you guys take over an elevator on the first floor, but once I was already ON an elevator and a group of staffers announced they were going to kick people off to take it over and asked for "any volunteers". We left, but it seemed incredibly...rude and just rubbed me the wrong way.

- The lack of enforcement on "No Signs". I don't even know if Youmacon HAS a No Signs policy, but if they do, holy crap do you guys need to get on that. The Game cards were some of the most annoying pieces of crap I've experienced at a con this year. It's an amazingly old meme, yet if you give it to the general populus of Youma which has a median age of 16, it is the most hilarious thing in the world.

I had those cards repeatedly shoved in my face to the point where I was getting downright rude at anyone who thrust The Game at me.

Youma really, really needs to enforce No Signs. I don't care if it will wreck the enjoyment of 13-year-olds who like giving free hugs--it congests traffic and impedes the enjoyment of attendees who just want to get from point A to point B without some underage kid shoving The Game in their face and then trying to hug you.

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Seraphim wrote:Just a few complaints...

- The staff commandeering elevators. I understand it's necessary, but several of the times when it was done, it was done in a very rude manner. It's okay if you guys take over an elevator on the first floor, but once I was already ON an elevator and a group of staffers announced they were going to kick people off to take it over and asked for "any volunteers". We left, but it seemed incredibly...rude and just rubbed me the wrong way.

- The lack of enforcement on "No Signs". I don't even know if Youmacon HAS a No Signs policy, but if they do, holy crap do you guys need to get on that. The Game cards were some of the most annoying pieces of crap I've experienced at a con this year. It's an amazingly old meme, yet if you give it to the general populus of Youma which has a median age of 16, it is the most hilarious thing in the world.

I had those cards repeatedly shoved in my face to the point where I was getting downright rude at anyone who thrust The Game at me.

Youma really, really needs to enforce No Signs. I don't care if it will wreck the enjoyment of 13-year-olds who like giving free hugs--it congests traffic and impedes the enjoyment of attendees who just want to get from point A to point B without some underage kid shoving The Game in their face and then trying to hug you.

ugh, the "No signs" rule extends only to those who are impeding traffic. Which none of them really were. Picture takers are far , far worse. If you don't like something, just get over it. Just because you can't tolerate people acting differently than yourself doesnt mean there should be a ban. I'm not gonna get into this, but there's threads for you to look at that explain the ridiculousness of the anti-sign crowd.

Return to “2009 Memories”