"Sign" of things to come?

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Should signs should be banned?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 113

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm

To restate the quote of our Production DH...
If you wish to hold a sign for attendees to respond to, it must be in a location that does not interfere with convention traffic or activities, and passers-by must not be disturbed if they choose not to respond to the sign. Signs must not request or promise money or lewd or disruptive conduct.

So we did not ban signs. We tried to limit their potential disruptive effects based on what has happened in years past. The basic idea was that you could hold a sign as long as you weren't in someone's face with it or offering money (or something) for something else (i.e., soliciting in some form) or otherwise causing a disruptive effect. So standing off to the side or walking around with a "FREE HUGS" sign wasn't against this rule as long as you weren't shoving it in people's faces or asking for money or promising something else for them. (To paraphrase it simply.)

Envisioner

Postby Envisioner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 pm

@Sirene; i can see when its like a 12 or 13 yr old but in my option once you hit late middle school you can say if u want hugs from anyone or not.
facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Foxcross

ChibiKitsune20

Postby ChibiKitsune20 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 pm

I wasn't personally bothered be the signs. Maybe that was because I wasn't being asked but I dunno *shrugs* I just kinda of ignored them all.
I remember the old days ¦<......

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 pm

mgperkow wrote:To restate the quote of our Production DH...
If you wish to hold a sign for attendees to respond to, it must be in a location that does not interfere with convention traffic or activities, and passers-by must not be disturbed if they choose not to respond to the sign. Signs must not request or promise money or lewd or disruptive conduct.

So we did not ban signs. We tried to limit their potential disruptive effects based on what has happened in years past. The basic idea was that you could hold a sign as long as you weren't in someone's face with it or offering money (or something) for something else (i.e., soliciting in some form) or otherwise causing a disruptive effect. So standing off to the side or walking around with a "FREE HUGS" sign wasn't against this rule as long as you weren't shoving it in people's faces or asking for money or promising something else for them. (To paraphrase it simply.)

and you guys did a good job of enforcing it. We had many people asking for hugs and if we refused, they walked away. It was not a problem at all this con, and it was handled well. Its nice to see a well thought out response in this thread.

Envisioner

Postby Envisioner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 pm

dairylives wrote:

and you guys did a good job of enforcing it. We had many people asking for hugs and if we refused, they walked away. It was not a problem at all this con, and it was handled well. Its nice to see a well thought out response in this thread.

i can agree with you, tho i never truned down a hug xD
facebook

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Envisioner wrote:
dairylives wrote:

i can agree with you, tho i never truned down a hug xD

we generally didn't , except for a couple kids who were being a little creepy about it.

Fuzakeru

Postby Fuzakeru » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:06 pm

UGH Double post. Opps. Sorry.
Last edited by Fuzakeru on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Fuzakeru

Postby Fuzakeru » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Just hugging in general isn't such a bad thing. I never hugged anyone with a 'HUG ME' sign but when people asked me for a hug while I was in cosplay, I very gladly did so. I'm flattered to be approached and asked for a picture or a hug or something. I even asked the lovely Horo cosplayer for a hug after going to breakfast one morning.

I know that some people that don't look 18+ are 18+ and vice versa but c'mon. I saw a lot of potential problematic situations everywhere. I know it can't be controlled and I sound like a socceer mom or something but trust me, I'm far from 'not perverted'. It just bugs me seeing underaged kids humping each other in 'OMG KAWAII YAOI PICTURES! <33' and whatnot.

I know that's nothing the staff can control and the morality of that situation changes from person to person and I can respect that but I personally found it disgusting.

With so many hormonal teens running around Youmacon, the last thing a single con goer needs is underage invitations by a group of jailbait nekos. =/
Last edited by Fuzakeru on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby Chamelion » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Fuzakeru wrote:I know that some people that don't look 18+ are 18+ and vice versa but c'mon. I saw a lot of potential problematic situations everywhere. I know it can't be controlled and I sound like a socceer mom or something but trust me, I'm far from 'not perverted'. It just bugs me seeing underaged kids humping each other in 'OMG KAWAII YAOI PICTURES! <33>_>

I know that's nothing the staff can control and the morality of that situation changes from person to person and I can respect that but I personally found it disgusting.

With so many hormonal teens running around Youmacon, the last thing a single con goer needs is underage invitations by a group of jailbait nekos. =/

Exactly! Thats why this year I stayed on the other side of the hallways, or in the middle if they were hogging the corners... next year, I hope to be attached and will just glomp, hug, hang all over my GF :P

I'm definitely an open minder person, but I draw the line at under 18...

C
---------------------------------------
I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.
---------------------------------------

Envisioner

Postby Envisioner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:16 pm

@dairylives: i must have never run into them but i guess thats the way to do it.

@Fuzakeru: jailbait nekos xD i seen a group like that an got a group hug. from looks they were about 13-14 but it was guys and girls too...i guess im just open minded and at the con when i seen someone i didnt think omg that person is way to young to hug or anything like that, but as just a hay that person wants hugs from ppl but dont want to go around just asking a few it was more to me like they were saying i want a hug an if you do come an get one.
facebook

Joker

Postby Joker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Oh GAWD ... get rid of the signs. They were eccentric with those hugs.... I refused several hugs because I was in character and my character wouldn't've wanted any hugs, but apparently that wasn't good enough for several of them, and a band of 15 people cornered me and physically attacked me with hugs.... I threw several away and I think I might have actually ended up hurting some of them, but I warned them countless times beforehand.

Oh PLLEEEEAAASSE get rid of those signs. I don't want to throw people's heads into the floor anymore, but I will if they are that persistent and ignore my warnings again. -_-;;;;
I'm not exactly sure what happened. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another.... If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!

Zrana
Live Programming Staff
First Anime: SciFi's "Japanimation" block/SailorMoon

Postby Zrana » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Envisioner wrote:@Sirene; i can see when its like a 12 or 13 yr old but in my option once you hit late middle school you can say if u want hugs from anyone or not.

It's not the perspective of the younger ones wanting to give hugs to strangers, but the older people being asked FOR hugs--for the older crowd the age and LEGALITY stigma of being cuddly with the legally underaged is often a reason for disliking the signs. (Especially if "no" isn't accepted immediately for an answer.)
Got Heartless?
*looks up at signature*
*cracks up*
Have I really not changed that since 2006?? XD

Zodiac

Postby Zodiac » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Zrana wrote:
Envisioner wrote:@Sirene; i can see when its like a 12 or 13 yr old but in my option once you hit late middle school you can say if u want hugs from anyone or not.

It's not the perspective of the younger ones wanting to give hugs to strangers, but the older people being asked FOR hugs--for the older crowd the age and LEGALITY stigma of being cuddly with the legally underaged is often a reason for disliking the signs. (Especially if "no" isn't accepted immediately for an answer.)
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, that can be a tad awkward.

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:06 pm

If you feel you are being physically accosted by anyone while at Youmacon, please do not hesitate to tell a Security staffer or perhaps even any other badge-wearing staffer. Tell them what you can about whoever is giving you trouble. If we see something like that happening, we will of course put a stop to it, but unfortunately we don't have the infinite eyes to see every corner of the con simultaneously. Sometimes to help you we need you to point in the direction where the problem is coming from (literally or proverbially). (I realize I'm opening myself there to the critique of those who think the signs are the problem, but that's not what I'm specifically talking about here...)

Envisioner

Postby Envisioner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Yes ok, if one said no the hug then they shouldnt have went for one anyway, i mean yea there are ones that will not take no, an they have to be yelled at an told off, but at the same time when they just walk around with the sign, and you go up an say "hug?" its no

i guess what im saying still is DONT LET A FEW BAD PPL, RUINING IT FOR THE REST OF US.

Thank you
Envi-san
facebook

Return to “2008 Memories”