"Sign" of things to come?

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Should signs should be banned?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 113

Toshi

"Sign" of things to come?

Postby Toshi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm extremely irked that the sign rules were not changed this year after the FREE HUGS thread from last years convention. The signs came out in force AGAIN on Saturday night. My friends and I were very annoyed by signs being stuck in our faces while we waited for elevators. THIS HAS TO COME TO A STOP! This is the only convention that I go to that still allows signs that don't pertain to the cosplay. Let YoumaCon know how you feel about this!

Kei

Postby Kei » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:35 pm

I know!
I thought they had banned the free hug signs after last year.
That's why I was pissed to see them this year. Everytime one of them tried to hug me I went "Those signs are suppose to be banned so no"
Cosplays 10'
Rena from Higurashi, Roxie from Scott Pilgrim

GoddessOfCrimsonSand

Postby GoddessOfCrimsonSand » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:37 pm

O: I had no idea they were s'pose to be b&... someone wanna fill me in?
cosplay 2010

Will (Pokemon) - 0%

Warsmen
First Anime: Dragon ball Z

Postby Warsmen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:37 pm

Honestly I enjoyed them being more mellow this year, they didn't stick them in faces, but I enjoyed getting free hugs. They were banned because they were annoying but I thought they were amazing this year because people weren't rude....IMO though.
Cosplays for 2010:
Star - Arakawa Under the Bridge
(100%)
Mammon (Viper) - Hitman Reborn
Sudowoodo - Pokemon (100%)

Kei

Postby Kei » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Warsmen wrote:Honestly I enjoyed them being more mellow this year, they didn't stick them in faces, but I enjoyed getting free hugs. They were banned because they were annoying but I thought they were amazing this year because people weren't rude....IMO though.

that's not the only reason that they were banned. they weren't too happy when people were forcing people to hug them. Espcailly when they were forcing the voice actors to give them hugs
Cosplays 10'

Warsmen
First Anime: Dragon ball Z

Postby Warsmen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Kei wrote:
Warsmen wrote:Honestly I enjoyed them being more mellow this year, they didn't stick them in faces, but I enjoyed getting free hugs. They were banned because they were annoying but I thought they were amazing this year because people weren't rude....IMO though.

that's not the only reason that they were banned. they weren't too happy when people were forcing people to hug them. Espcailly when they were forcing the voice actors to give them hugs
Oh yes there was that too, I remember that now. As for the voice actors, I am surprised they were forceful to them. I guess this years crowd of hugs was more....I guess happier?
Cosplays for 2010:
Star - Arakawa Under the Bridge
(100%)
Mammon (Viper) - Hitman Reborn
Sudowoodo - Pokemon (100%)

I Ate My Lava Lamp
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby I Ate My Lava Lamp » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 pm

While I think they're pretty obnoxious, this year was not NEARLY as clustered as last year. While there were a lot of signs, most were either posted on themselves as they walked around or they stood in places where they wouldn't prevent the flow of traffic, as the rules dictated. I don't see a point in banning them now that there was proof that people CAN actually follow the rules and be respectful. That's just my view, though.

Mikuru

Postby Mikuru » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 pm

I love the free hug signs. It's better than people randomly hugging without asking.

patrickbooya

Postby patrickbooya » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:45 pm

k.

Hi youmacon, wtfdxup with the signs ?

I'm really tired of hearing people complain about the signs.
they didn't clog the hallways and there weren't as many as last year.
I think it should be left as it is.
They did not cause harm at all this year(that I know of, that is)
So unless there are some serious problems with traffic and all, Just let it go.
if you seriously have that much of a problem with writing on a piece of paper it has to be something like 'I HAVE A BOMB IN MY BAG' or something but 'FREE HUGS'....How friendly is that. Does it hurt you in any way? is it tollerable?
It's just stating that that person is willing to hug anyone that wants a hug!
Not that I did a free hugs sign I'm just saying ...this is getting a little out of hand about this stuff.

I actually thought they were banned last year.

I might have not been paying attention to the far sides of the halls if there were signs but from where I was Walking I didn't have a problem.

& also
Being rude is a different thing,
don't force your free hugs on people.

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:49 pm

I guess the easy answer to your problem is really simple.

Dont hug them, or just ignore them.

If you want to complain for the sake of complaining, at least make it about something legit.

ImNewHere

Postby ImNewHere » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 pm

I did see one person get insistent about giving one of my friends a hug. It looked to me like all the "free hugs" people were kids.
Hated by many, loved by few. Now go visit my site, sign my guestbook, and if I have a pic of you from a con let me know, and if you want a copy tell me and I will send it to you.

[url]http://www.scottyspot.com/youmacon2011.htm[/url]

Kei

Postby Kei » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 pm

No one is complaing.
We were just talking about how and why they were suppose to be banned
Cosplays 10'

Fuzakeru

Postby Fuzakeru » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:52 pm

This is such a tricky situation really..... I hate signs that don't serve a purpose ( or I guess go with a cosplay in particular ) really. I carried a sign around in my Cowardly Maya cosplay but it was a symbol from the game I cosplayed from and I like the OBJECTION signs and whatnot but the 'Free Hugs for Kitty!' signs make me sigh.

Then again, because the locale is large and not just one hallway like at the Hilton.... the signs weren't a big deal. If I didn't want to be bothered I could walk around them easily.

I don't know. The sign thing wasn't a big deal this year to me but I wonder if people will take advantage of such a thing and make it in to another problem next year. -shrugs-
ImageImage

Seraphim
Technical Staff

Postby Seraphim » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 pm

The signs got on my nerves more than just a little. You can carry them around, but once you start asking me "Free hugs?" as well as advertising it on a sign, and then getting quite upset when I don't hug you, that drives me a little mad.

A couple girls asked for free hugs when I was Reno and then did a kind of irate "AWW WHY NOT" when I said no and I found that more than just a little bit annoying.

I did usually give hugs to people who asked me politely when I was cosplaying as Sora/Duo/Quatre, but other than that...jesus people, leave me alone.

dairylives

Postby dairylives » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Kei wrote:No one is complaing.
We were just talking about how and why they were suppose to be banned

i was more referring to the "THIS HAS TO STOP" from the OP.

I personally dislike the signs, but far be it from me to tell someone that the way they express themselves is wrong. Especially when the majority of them were harmless and didnt force anything upon anyone. Its something so easy to ignore, yet people feel the need to tear these kids down and make them into "the enemy" I feel that, if anything, the hate needs to stop.

Return to “2008 Memories”