"Sign" of things to come?

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Should signs should be banned?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 113

Toshi

Postby Toshi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:44 am

The whole FREE HUGS thing was started by the rave scene. Candy ravers would often have stickers, t-shirts and backbacks with FREE HUGS on them. This went hand in hand with PLUR (peace, love, unity, respect). Ravers would hug each other all the time but some didn't want hugs but always smiled or gave respect knuckles instead. There was no BAWWWWing or chasing people down or stalking for hugs. Of course there are elements of PLUR at anime cons. Thing is that I think RESPECT is missing from the equation. Respect personal space and respect peoples choice to not hug if they don't want to. Having a sign does not excuse you from showing respect.

I am not a hugs hater. I gave quite a few hugs over the weekend. But if you were holding a sign for hugs, you were getting no love from me. You don't need signs to get some hugs people. Show some respect and ask and most likely you will receive. If not most likely you will get a fist bump and a peace sign in hopes that you might find some love elsewhere.

Katmouse

Postby Katmouse » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 am

Meesh wrote:it would probably benefit the convention as a whole and give one less thing for convention to worry about starting issues.

Exactly. I wonder if people know that the 'MONEY PLZ' signs can be considered panhandling/solicitation. I'd hate to see the con get into any legal troubles because of signs and what not. :?
I can make you into one hot momma. PM me.

Alcheous

Postby Alcheous » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 am

Katmouse wrote:
Meesh wrote:it would probably benefit the convention as a whole and give one less thing for convention to worry about starting issues.

Exactly. I wonder if people know that the 'MONEY PLZ' signs can be considered panhandling/solicitation. I'd hate to see the con get into any legal troubles because of signs and what not. :?
Last year someone had a "will Yaoi for Money" sign, and the staff said they can't have it with the word money, but any fantasy currency is fine. (Gil, Gold, etc)
So they got the sign taken away.
Also~
Having a "money plz" sign in the hotel can get you kicked out of the hotel, or if they really wanted, having the police come and take you away. Since they do have the right to do so.

My view on it is.. The "Free Hug" signs should just be signs, not an excuse to yell at people to give them hugs. It's not like you see a McDonald's sign and just HAVE to go into a McDonald's.
Just because someone says no doesn't mean you can argue with them.
I would hug anyone that asked nicely before-hand. But if you just go and glomp me, yeah I'll be angry. Glomping should be banned in high-traffic areas. I nearly saw someone's prop get destroyed while someone was glomped as they walked by.
2008 Cosplay- Hisagi Shuhei

Cosplay(s) for 2010-
Trying to form together a nice rave outfit- Meeeheheh 1%

LeeFan2012

Postby LeeFan2012 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:53 pm

My stand on the issue is pro-sign, but then again, this is coming from a hug-addict. ^^; Although I do see how it could be kind of troublesome. People constantly shouting "GIVE ME HUGS" would get pretty annoying after the five billionth time. Although I think it's a good thing that people can do this. I really felt sad Saturday after my friend left, and hugging people really got my spirits up. I guess it's kind of fun because you normally don't walk around and get hugged every day.
Labeled as the "Free Hugs Rock Lee"
--Member of Live Action Mario Party '06 winning team! Team Hentai!--
[2009 Cosplay]
Rock Lee
Kaoru

sumi990

Postby sumi990 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:26 pm

I had one. But I was not like "YOU! THERE! GIVE HUG NOW!"
It was for people that enjoy giving and receiving hugs.

Me and my friend do this once a year. We make shirts(or something) that say "free hugs", go to the local mall or something, and see how many we get.
It is usually a low/depressing number.
Some people pull their children in closer, thinking that we are going to hurt them. It really bothers me how opposed people are to hugs now a days.
This being the reason I make a sign at con. I know that people are so much more open, and for those that do not receive a lot of hugs outside of con, this can make them feel much better.
It does me at least.

Wow... sorry for rant... I just REALLY like hugs, and I know it makes people feel better (usually) to receive them.

(But I do agree that the people who try and force it are kind of annoying, that or make a competition out of it... =/)
Yomacon 2010 cosplays-
Houndoom Hoodie - 85% done
Finn - 0% done o.o;
Random fun dress up - 1246436345643% done =D

lilyclairwell

Postby lilyclairwell » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm

sumi990 wrote:It really bothers me how opposed people are to hugs now a days.

People aren't opposed to hugs. People are scared of strangers. If they knew you, those same people would probably give you a hug.

The Commodore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:27 pm

lilyclairwell wrote:
sumi990 wrote:It really bothers me how opposed people are to hugs now a days.

People aren't opposed to hugs. People are scared of strangers. If they knew you, those same people would probably give you a hug.

Good point. People seemed very offended when I didn't want to hug them and it's like, I have the freedom of choice to not hug you if I don't want to. I have a girlfriend and therefore have all the hugs I want/need available to me, so I'm probably not going to want yours. A girl came up to me and I was holding my girlfriend's hand and said "You look like you need a hug" and when we just continued walking, she got really irritated with me. I was thinking, since when does holding someone's hand make me look like I need a hug? o_O

I'm also reminded of being asked for a hug when I was in my L cosplay at ACen and the guy who hugged me smelled disgusting! ><

Sirene
First Anime: Yu Yu Hakusho

Postby Sirene » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:02 pm

The Commodore wrote:I was thinking, since when does holding someone's hand make me look like I need a hug? o_O

I'm also reminded of being asked for a hug when I was in my L cosplay at ACen and the guy who hugged me smelled disgusting! ><

1. Obviously, you weren't being hugged at the time by your girlfriend, which lead the hugger to the conclusion that she did not hug you enough, meaning you were hug-deficient and therefore required a hug from a stranger in order to feel better about your self-worth as a human being.

2. Rule of thumb: If you want people to hug you, bathe. I cannot count the number of times someone has asked for a hug when I'm in cosplay, and I oblige (because they asked nicely), and at least half of them will have some sort of issue with maintaining a publically acceptable level of hygiene. And then I have to use my emergency body spray on my costume.

NEWSFLASH: It's called taking a shower. Do it, or no hug for you.
x. youma '12 cosplay
thurs: ???
fri: Super Sailor Jupiter (SM); Azula (ATLA)
sat: Batgirl (YJ); Asami (LoK)
sun: ???

CloudZack_AkuRoku

Postby CloudZack_AkuRoku » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:05 am

I had no problem with the Free Hugs Signs whatsoever. I saw quite a fe, but they were usually along the side areas and weren't blocking any traffic flow. There were also ones that walked around with the hug sings taped on them or something. I didn't really see anyone trying to force someone to hug them, either. I think that they're fine the way they are and that the Youma staff can handle the ones that are blocking the way as long as the con-goers say something about it.
Youma '09 was a lot of fun. Can't wait 'till next year.

Cosplays for '10:
Friday: Tifa (Advent Children)
Saturday: Blair (Soul Eater)
Sunday: Either a Pokemon or Blair, again.

Mairen

Postby Mairen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:30 pm

hm...I really like hugs...and I think hugs are great for the spirit...but believe it or not I think something more should be done about this issue. I respect the administrators for not outright banning signs...but people are pretty much half and half about this issue still even after the new rules...I've read through 80% of this thread and a huge problem seems to be people getting "signs shoved in their faces".

I love how conventions are a place where you really feel connected with people and ready to have a great time. it's wonderful and there's really a lot of great people there...

but I believe that signs bring the quality of a convention down. it doesn't make the con-goers look like decent people. when I first went to a convention I thought it was cute....for about 10 minutes...I think it's obnoxious now to be honest. it makes the people look sad, desperate, and attention deprived... I want to ask those people..."don't you have any friends at all?". why do people have to bring themselves down so low as to yearn for physical contact from a stranger? (even IF you both like anime or whatever) if someone asks to give me a hug when I'm in cosplay or something, sure! but I see signs as an indirect way of begging for something. (you know, like how the homeless guy down the street "begs" for money)

there's a lot of bad people in the world today...and I could just see some mother suing the convention because because some pervert groped her little girl and security wasn't around to prevent it... people are sue-happy these days...I would add something to the rules that states the convention is not responsible if something unexpected happens, just to be safe >.<; when you hold up a sign asking for a free hug, you never know who's just around the corner looking for that perfect opportunity...

China

Postby China » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:11 pm

personally...hugs are my crack. among pop-tarts and the like. i could seriously live off hugs if it were possible xD but i can definitely see the problem with free hugs signs. YOU GUYS D: YOU DON'T NEED IT! I'LL GIVE YOU A HUG IF YOU ASK~ like seriously. i'll give anyone a hug. i'll give someone's DOG a hug.

like i think it's nice if people tape a sign to their shirt. or get a shirt that says free hugs on it. but if you run up to someone and shove a sign in their face and demand a hug...that's just awkward D: don't do that. for your own safety and those around you. and besides, if you do that people might think you're a creeper...>_>
Youmacon 2010:
RPG Haruhi Suzumiya- Haruhi Suzumiya no Tomadoi
Yoko Littner- TTGL
Knives Chau- Scott Pilgrim
wig commissions: http://chinasaur.deviantart.com/journal/

patrickbooya

Postby patrickbooya » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm

I really don't mind hugs.
They always cheer someone up when they're feeling a little 'down'

TidusxSeymour
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby TidusxSeymour » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:41 am

Hmm...late reply on this topic. The signs are fine if rules are followed. Unfortunately, some don't follow rules. We also don't want to ban signs altogether. Neko-con did that, and even signs that were part of your cosplay were told no. I was wondering if they were going to start banning ppl dressed as DDR pads too. I hugged most ppl who asked, and found not a single pushy person there. It looked to me like most were just there cause they wanted to have fun and bring joy to others. My friend had one in '07 and I know for a fact that he's not attention starved, and he DOES in fact have a life. He also didn't get in anyone's way as far as I could tell.

ChaosDynasty
First Anime: Toonami

Postby ChaosDynasty » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:22 pm

I see no problem with signs. after all, I was making personal quote signs at my AA table in '07, and no one really cared. As a matter of fact, the personal signs/quotes were my best seller. I don't know if I wanna do that for '09 or not.
Youmacon Cosplay:
Cid Highwind (FF7 Advent)= 100%
Jenny (Doctor Who): 100%
BLU Engineer (Team Fortress 2): 25%
Tex (Red Vs Blue): 10%
K-9 RC Model rebuild(Doctor Who): 25%

The Catboy! XD

Postby The Catboy! XD » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 pm

I love my free hugs, but I did not stick my sign in others faces. In fact that would be rather difficult, (see sign at left). The free hugs things is one of the things I look forward to at youma-con, and it is not because I'm hug starved or anything, it is just fun. I do agree with anti-hug rape, but if you are hug-raping why would you even need a sign. Glomping is fun too, but only if the other party is warned before hand and consents and is done in an area where it won't cause damage or traffic issues.

Return to “2008 Memories”