"Sign" of things to come?

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Should signs should be banned?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 113

Wolfie-Chan!

Postby Wolfie-Chan! » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:32 pm

I, personally, didn't have any problems with hug signs this year. The people who asked me for hugs were very polite, and respectful.
However, I did have problems with the random glomping. About 20 minutes after I arrived, someone ran up behind me yelling 'everybody glomp Roxas!' and slammed into me. I would have been okay with it if I was warned, and if it wasn't in the middle of a crowded area.
Youma '10:
Link (Twilight Princess)
Maka (Soul Eater)

Youmacon '09 Cosplay:
Roxas (KH2)
Maka (Soul Eater)

Miki_KM
First Anime: Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Sailor Moon

Postby Miki_KM » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:31 pm

At least no pillars were broken this year from the football-tackle-force glomps. Even if Youmacon wasn't planning on changing hotels last year, i don't think the Hilton in Troy would have let us come back anyway after the way the hotel was destroyed. So as long as people and items are not being hurt or broken. i'm not too bothered by signs. i just ignore them and walk away.
KoriStarfire
(The user name I have on these forums pre-dates my cosplay days! #ImOld)

Aryoshi
Technical Staff

Postby Aryoshi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:27 am

out a restriction on the signs maybe, dont take them away. I understand why people dont like it, but for me it's become a nice little staple of youmacon. I have personally been to cons where the sign rule is not enforced and it was VERY clustered so yes I see the downsides, but honestly as long as they get the rules (which is hard again i admit to this) it should be okay.
I'm back baby WEE HOO!

bankai_shinigami
First Anime: Gundam WING

Postby bankai_shinigami » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:51 am

please leave the signs. if they don't how can a zack walk around and just point to the sign that says "Not Cloud"?
"Look Mr. Bubbles. It's an angel. I can see light coming from his belly. Oh wait. He's still breathing. But don't worry. He;ll be an angel soon."

"16th MS Team: Striving Towards A Better Battlefield."

Solar window02

Postby Solar window02 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:18 am

I was gonna make a sign, but not a free hug sign.
I'm making a "Looking for Miranda" sign haha XD

otbaht
First Anime: ronin warriors

Postby otbaht » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:43 pm

yeah if i cant afford to make a costume this year i might just wear a sign that says "nudist on strike"
nobody is perfect im a nobody therefore i am perfect.

ChibixOnigiri
First Anime: Dragon Ball / Sailor Moon

Postby ChibixOnigiri » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 pm

I think the signs should stay. If you dont like them, then ignor thema nd move on. You dont have to hug the person if you dont want to. I like the signs, I think there fun. Everyone has there own oppinion. But just because ' you dont like something" doesnt mean everyone else as to to it or agree with you.
its easy. if u see a sign, walk away. its that simple.
^ this is my opinion, im not fight nor anything. im stateing my opinion is all. No one has to agress with me. thats why an opinion :P
- also, if someone is waving the sign in your face, ask them kindy not to. They wont bie your face off.
i know if some one asked me that id be all " okay no problem" and im sure otherswont be upset if you ask them to to wave it in your favce, which ive never seen some one do that but i dont see everything that happens...
-done lol
Uuuguu

lunaladyoflight
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby lunaladyoflight » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:40 pm

I want signs banned. If your costume requires one you can keep it, but anything else like attention whoring weeaboos and cat people, those should be banned. I can't count the number of times I was accosted last year by people with signs. One of them even broke the tail of my costume. I had to go chasing after the pieces in the crowd. They also crowded much of the room to walk around the elevators, that did not please me at all.

I do not like being hugged by strangers. I had a cat boy with a hug sign in his mouth whimper at me for a hug last year. That's just screwed up.

Let's please get rid of them. All the other larger cons have banned them and almost all the attendees have a better con experience because of that.

IDK!

Postby IDK! » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 pm

The signs shouldn't be so much banned as having some type of restriction, like don't force hugs on people >:| My friend and I had free hug signs last year, but we didn't go around asking people for hugs, instead they came up to us. It's a great way to meet and talk to new people without the awkward conversation starter because you're already slightly intimate. And it makes both parties happy! :D

I understand some of your opinions here because no one should force a free hug on you, but those people are douchebags that don't know a thing of personal space. Don't hurt the people who are actually being polite just because of a few excited nerds :)

ResidentEvilZombie

Postby ResidentEvilZombie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Okay, I read this entire 8 page long topic and thought thoroughly on the subject. And I've come down on one conclusion. The signs aren't really all that bad. Now hear me out, I understand where both sides are coming from. Both have a legit point of view.

As we have established in this topic, the signs can get annoying at times. But that is only when people take it to far. Some people cannot grasp the concept of no. Lady posted earlier in the topic "It really doesn't take much for someone to turn a "free hug" into a gropefest." Yes. That is true. But it is also true that the signs are there as an invitation. Not all people who have "free hug" signs have an ulterior motive. A free hug can be just what it says, a free hug.

Alcheous also posted earlier in the topic that " The "Free Hug" signs should just be signs, not an excuse to yell at people to give them hugs. It's not like you see a McDonald's sign and just HAVE to go into a McDonald's. That is true too. People need to not force you into giving a free hug, and if it feels like they are trying to please do what Lady said in the later part of her post, "And, of course, if anyone does something that makes you uncomfortable, notify a staffer or security member IMMEDIATELY. We do not want those sorts of people around the convention." This goes back to the escalation problem with these signs.

All in all, I am under the impression the hug signs shouldn't be banned necessarily, just the rules about them should be better enforced. I'm not saying that Youma didn't do a great job last year with enforcing what they preach, (Aka the wonderous code of Youma laws), because they did a terrific job. The real problem is that there is a limited amount of staff and a tremendous amount of con-goers. That makes it easier for things to quickly get out of hand. And things can get out of hand easily.

I suppose it all just comes down to the whole few bad people thing. You know, "one rotten apple spoils the whole bunch"? If you have problems with one person tell an admin. But most people who have the signs are not all bad. Please don't be prejudicial against the whole, based on the few rotten apples.

(Just a quick few last words: The hug signs, to me, are a great thing because you never know what happened in a person's life and they may really need a hug. For instance, last year on the day of the con I got an email that my boyfriend broke up with me. I was devastated for the most part of the friday con-day. Then when I went to the Naruto photo shoot there was a Rock Lee cosplayer with kitty ears that had a free hug sign. It really cheered me up to have someone around just willingly wanting to give out hugs to some stranger. It touched me, because I really needed a hug that day. So I hugged him. And I felt better that day, even if my ex was a jerk and broke up with me over email. He didn't force me into getting a hug, only merely asked me if I wanted one. And it helped to have someone to hug. It's actually because of that experience that made me an avid supporter of the free hug. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 Some people, like I did, need the free hugs. As long as things don't get out of hand it shouldn't be a problem.)

-I feel like I just wrote an argumentation essay for an english class. :D-
Last edited by ResidentEvilZombie on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResidentEvilZombie

Postby ResidentEvilZombie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Sorry for double posting but I would like to point out that the Youmacon staff did take affirmative action after last year by changing the rules, and they take care of it at the con every year.
http://www.youmacon.com/guidelines.php

amam2217

Postby amam2217 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:21 pm

I personally didn't mind the signs. Nobody forced me to hug them; I did it on my own.

Return to “2008 Memories”