Official Youmacon 2008 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

lilyclairwell

Postby lilyclairwell » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Greyshift wrote:Many people listed dealers they thought shouldn't be there (all of which were selling unique items), and then said that they wanted more variety... Huh? If you got rid of those dealers you'd lose the variety we have.

Oh, man, I'm glad someone said it!

So, let's be honest people. Do you want a larger variety of items, or do you want a wider selection of specific items? I.E. More Manga and DVDs to choose from... which would be a larger variety of manga and DVDs, but not a larger variety of things in general.

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby Chamelion » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:36 pm

I have no real suggestions on the dealers room. I just know that I didn't find anything that I wanted to purchase.... and it was a little disappointing. However, limited size isn't anyone's fault, and its up to the dealers who comes and doesnt, and what they bring.

C
---------------------------------------
I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Chamelion wrote:I have no real suggestions on the dealers room. I just know that I didn't find anything that I wanted to purchase.... and it was a little disappointing. However, limited size isn't anyone's fault, and its up to the dealers who comes and doesnt, and what they bring.

C

Well, as Greyshift said, the con does have some degree of control over what ends up in the room since we screen our dealers. The exact items they bring are obviously up to them, but the kinds of merchandise that end up in the dealer room are at least partially under con control since the con decides which dealer applications to accept (based on many factors, including the types of merchandise they sell and what kind of dealer room the Dealers Staff and the management are trying to put together in the end). So if there are specific kinds of merchandise you'd like to see, you'd be best to tell us, and if it seems like the request strikes a chord with people, I'm sure the Dealers Staff will see what they can do for next year. If you're just casually commenting that you couldn't find anything you liked, alright then, but if you're saying that and expecting change, then please be a bit more specific for the benefit of both the staff and the fans. I'm afraid we have a little difficulty reading people's minds, as much as we wish we could. ;-)

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee

Postby Chamelion » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm

I was just commenting in general, and not pointing fingers or actually 'complaining'.

C

The Commodore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:58 pm

lilyclairwell wrote:
Greyshift wrote:Many people listed dealers they thought shouldn't be there (all of which were selling unique items), and then said that they wanted more variety... Huh? If you got rid of those dealers you'd lose the variety we have.

So, let's be honest people. Do you want a larger variety of items, or do you want a wider selection of specific items? I.E. More Manga and DVDs to choose from... which would be a larger variety of manga and DVDs, but not a larger variety of things in general.

What I meant was a wider selection of anime/manga/Japanese culture items. The leather/sword stuff doesn't interest me at all, and if I wanted to buy stuff like that, I would probably go elsewhere to get it. I come to anime cons for anime.

I'd just like to see more of the kinds of things the anime dealers were selling. More plushies, snacks, figurines, etc. Yes, I found things I wanted, but not as much as I have in the past. I guess I probably sound like I'm being elitist or something, but walking in and automatically crossing three or four booths of the list of ones to look at is kind of disappointing. Okay, so the leather guy does sell a lot of stuff. What about the sword booth? That case still looked nearly full at the end of the weekend. Don't you have to be 18 to buy stuff like that anyway?

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:44 pm

A full dealer booth doesn't necessarily mean the dealer running it did little business. Many of them bring a lot of backup stock.

But anyway, I think what it comes down to is that different people have different interests. I can assure you that the dealers who you keep seeing at Youmacon year after year are doing well enough selling their merchandise at our con, or else they wouldn't send us an application the next year.

In any event, suggestions from people about what they'd like to see in the dealer room (or anywhere at Youmacon) are always welcome. We can't promise that what you ask for is doable, but we'll certainly at least consider it.

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:01 pm

Maid_Kyli wrote:My only input is really about the Artist Alley, as everything else has been re-hashed to the ground.
As an Artist, I loveloveloved that there were so many extra tables. However, I can see how this might be a problem. Obviously, some artists payed for two tables, when I only paid for one and it turned out there was no one behind me and no one to the side of me. I had plenty of space to sprawl my junk, which was very comfortable, but...could hardly be fair ^_^; Was this glut of empty tables planned, or did a lot of artists just not show up? Either way, I really liked the extra space, I think it made tables a lot less crowded and people a lot less overwhelmed. If you magically could, it would be awesome to give each artist 2 tables for their money--However I could see this being a giant money hurt. However, it seemed there were only about half as many artists as tables so maybe it turned out this way on purpose? I guess I want feedback to my feedback xD

Every table in the alley -was- sold out, there were just a lot of people that didn't show up, and the one girl interested in purchasing a table never returned to buy it D:

DGStudios
Fan Art Theater ADH Audio

Postby DGStudios » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 pm

About the MPAD interfereing with the dance. We did open the vat this year and move the DJs to there after the dance so that people that still wanted to rave could come there. IT was a last minute change, so I am sorry about the problems it did cause with AMV Wars: Hentai, however we did still run a shortened version of Nat-chan and Mat-chan's night out that day.

So we did run a Rave supplemental in the AMV room. And While I can't speak for sure at this point, it may become a common thing that we run a Rave Supplemental in the VAT after the standard rave, that much is still in the works for next year.

The AMV dance will always have a home with us so people can have more fun dancing.

So we are working on ways to get around the interference of MPAD and the Rave.

Thank You

Matthew Moore

Wrapped in my protective wings, forever will you be safe.

The Commodore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:38 pm

I wandered over to the VAT room after the dance and there were about 5 people dancing in there. It was really awkward... ^^;

I hope you guys are able to get the conflict worked out, because I'm pretty sure there were people in the dance who weren't ready to stop dancing yet! I think ACen's dance goes until like 3 or 4 in the morning, if not later...or earlier depending on how you look at it ^^;

Djm
First Anime: Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade

Postby Djm » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:35 pm

This was my first con, and it was 99.99999 percent perfect.

However....

I feel like I'm being a bit nitpicky, but it seemed like there was an endless supply of stuff in the Dealer's Room for, hmm.....how do I put it....teenager-appealing anime, and not a whole lot for older audiences.

Now, I don't mean hentai. Not at all. I mean the anime for people that are in their 20s and such. I didn't really see anything for Ergo Proxy or one of my personal favorites, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Woot.

And also...woot.

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee

Postby Chamelion » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Djm wrote:This was my first con, and it was 99.99999 percent perfect.

However....

I feel like I'm being a bit nitpicky, but it seemed like there was an endless supply of stuff in the Dealer's Room for, hmm.....how do I put it....teenager-appealing anime, and not a whole lot for older audiences.

Now, I don't mean hentai. Not at all. I mean the anime for people that are in their 20s and such. I didn't really see anything for Ergo Proxy or one of my personal favorites, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Try being MY AGE :( :(

No Lum, Ranma, Bubblegum Crisis :(

C

daegan
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby daegan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 pm

More than anything else I really think the dealers' room needs enough room for people to be able to browse better. I'm not sure what you guys can do to pull that off. It did seem a little odd though that one whole outer wall was taken up by three dealers and the other one by two. Maybe put ACen and the consulate somewhere else than the DR? Not sure where else you'd stick them, but...

KraZGurl

Postby KraZGurl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:13 am

Djm wrote:This was my first con, and it was 99.99999 percent perfect.

However....

Well, I can tell you, anything licensed by GENEON (such as Ergo Proxy) is going to be VERY difficult to find, considering that GENEON filed for bankruptcy. They were also on of the licensing companies that got most of the stuff such as Ergo Proxy and Paranoia Agent.
http://americanlink.deviantart.com My deviantART

Planned Cosplays:
Thursday: Steampunk(99%)
Friday: Kanaya, green dress (Homestuck)70%
Saturday: Troll Mage Redux (WoW)7%
Sunday: Regular Outfit Kanaya (Homestuck)90%

Kazuma
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: toonami block (sailormoon,gundam,dragonballz,ect)

Postby Kazuma » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:25 am

For me I thought that the dealers room was very cool, but I did not find much at all that did not already own. (the curse of a big collection) So I went and satisfied my deep desire for models and bought myself the perfect grade RX-78-2 gundam for my entertainment in the spring time :)

youjik33
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby youjik33 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:31 am

Dealers are going to bring what sells... if Naruto, Bleach and Death Note sell, then obviously that's what they're going to bring. It sorta sucks for those of us who like more obscure shows, haha. A lot of shows don't even HAVE that kind of merchandise. Like it or not, long-running shows aimed at teenagers just tend to have more merchandise than other shows, because it sells.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Saturday night karaoke issue hasn't been addressed yet, unless I missed it.

I was so pissed that I stormed off and almost let it ruin my Saturday. I was actually on the freeway headed home but decided I didn't want to leave angry, so I stopped at Speedway, got some coffee, and went to Mario Party After Dark, which I enjoyed very much despite feeling as though Team Ninja was robbed of victory.
Youmacon 2011 cosplay: Aveline Vallen (Dragon Age 2)

Panels:
Do You Dream In Anime? (Sunday, 12 noon, Panel 2)
Lost in Translation ( Sunday, 3 pm, Panel 4)

Return to “2008 Memories”