Official Youmacon 2008 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

User avatar
mgperkow
Server Administrator
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:01 pm
First Anime: Fruits Basket
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Contact:

Postby mgperkow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 am

youjik33 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that the Saturday night karaoke issue hasn't been addressed yet, unless I missed it.

We heard you guys, and we haven't forgotten, but we just don't have any updates yet. For example, I myself haven't so far been able to find out who was running karaoke. I've heard a few tips, but no one seems to know for sure. So... When there's news, we'll post something. ;-)

User avatar
AlgusUnderdunk
SPACE LANCE.
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:35 pm
Contact:

Postby AlgusUnderdunk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:47 am

Chamelion wrote:
Djm wrote:This was my first con, and it was 99.99999 percent perfect.

However....

I feel like I'm being a bit nitpicky, but it seemed like there was an endless supply of stuff in the Dealer's Room for, hmm.....how do I put it....teenager-appealing anime, and not a whole lot for older audiences.

Now, I don't mean hentai. Not at all. I mean the anime for people that are in their 20s and such. I didn't really see anything for Ergo Proxy or one of my personal favorites, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.


Try being MY AGE :( :(

No Lum, Ranma, Bubblegum Crisis :(

C


Wait wait, where we you guys wandering? Between all of the anime and manga booths I spotted quite the variety of manga, including Ranma 1/2 (and a large selection of discount 'older' manga at the Fast Food Anime booth), a lot of modern stuff, I even found a new series I'd been looking for, Jim Henson's Return to Labyrinth :3

Also, in the future should you ever not find an anime you're looking for, put in a request with Stan (he ran the anime booth in the center of the dealer room), he's typically willing to run back to his shop and pick up whatever people are looking for after the dealer's room closes for the day. Believe me, he has some extremely rare and hard to find stuff...

Although I liked the selection this year, I noticed several vendors were selling identical plushies (not all of the plushies, but some of the more prominent ones)... but I do think it's nice to have the sword and leather sellers there as well, as I spotted several people who fleshed out their costumes with some quick purchases from them... albeit next year it might be nice if one of our vendors had videogames and associated swag ^_^
I do say, I'm rather put off by these serpents aboard our aircraft.

User avatar
The Commodore
Posts: 2950
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:55 pm
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:18 pm

daegan wrote:Maybe put ACen and the consulate somewhere else than the DR? Not sure where else you'd stick them, but...


I agree. I think both the ACen pre-reg and band merch table should be moved elsewhere. Maybe have the bands selling their swag at or outside of (like in the hallway during the show) the actual concert, or perhaps in the game room (since bands were playing there and there was a lot of free space).

In terms of rare items, I'd like to find someone who sells Nana merch! I think I saw a Nana wallet and that's it. :( I know it's out there, but Nana stuff is very hard to find, save from actually going to Japan and buying it.

User avatar
Toboe5
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:59 pm
Location: nunya

Postby Toboe5 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:23 pm

It's not really a complaint but a heads up. I spoke with a girl Sunday morning and she was bragging about how she knew people on security so they let her into 18+ events and stuff, even though she was only like 14 or 15....She never said who it was that let her do this and I didn't catch her name so I sadly cannot help you there. I figured I'd just say something in case it happens next year

User avatar
mgperkow
Server Administrator
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:01 pm
First Anime: Fruits Basket
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Contact:

Postby mgperkow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Toboe5 wrote:It's not really a complaint but a heads up. I spoke with a girl Sunday morning and she was bragging about how she knew people on security so they let her into 18+ events and stuff, even though she was only like 14 or 15....She never said who it was that let her do this and I didn't catch her name so I sadly cannot help you there. I figured I'd just say something in case it happens next year

We heard claims of this last year and warned staff and security about this kind of thing. Obviously we'll do so again, but staff/security should be carding every person who walks through the door of an 18+ event. At any rate, since it's after the fact now, unless we come up with more evidence, the only promise we can make is that we'll warn staff and security again for next year about adhering strictly to that regulation.

User avatar
masterewok
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Not Ohio. Gawd I hate ohio...

Postby masterewok » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I have but one complaint and it is very small...there was no duskull plushie. Everything else was awesome.
~COSPLAY LIST~
CHU - YU YU HAKUSHO 0.00%
LADD RUSSO - BACCANO! 5.00%
SCOTT PILGRIM 25.00%
I'M PRETTY MUCH SCREWED...YAY!

User avatar
[sugarhigh]
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Midgar
Contact:

Postby [sugarhigh] » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:47 pm

I didn't like the rave at all, except for the beggining. I think that you should have not had a live band, and instead gotten several DJ's to play songs for us, like how ACEN did. I did like the DJ this year though, he/she did a great job with the songs! n__n

I thought the strobe light was too bright, it felt like somebody kept flicking the light switch on and off. I thought the atmosphere would have been way cooler if it would have been darker, and if you would have had a black-light.

I wish the water hadn't run out the first fifteen minutes of the rave. We had to keep walking all the way over to the artist alley to get a drink of water.

I also felt that the Youmacon staff wasn't communicating enough. A lot of people didn't know what to do in certain situations (like, who to go get more water when it ran out) and although I didn't mind it too much, I feel that the con would run smoother if you guys communicated better. I think it would save the staff a lot of stress :3

I loved the Hotel. The Hyatt truly was made for conventions. It was big, it had four lounge areas, and a big-drop off section for all the con goers to get dropped of and such.
I didn't like the location so much. There weren't any cheap places to eat that were close by, it would have been nice to have like a Taco Bell or something within walking distance.

I know you had limited space, but I'd love it if the Artist Alley and Dealers' rooms were bigger. I don't know about the Dealers' room, but I know that there were a lot of people who would have bought tables that couldn't because there weren't any slots. I know this isn't your fault, I'm just saying that a big Artist Alley would be super great for next year :3

I liked the layout of the Dealers' room this year better than last year. Last year was trafic central, and I'd be stuck in a line for thirty minutes just to get OUT of the Dealers' room. It was a scary, scary place. Not for the Clausterphobic.

I wish the DDR game would have louder volume. The music was super hard to hear, and it was hard to dance without it.

I totally loved the new Staff shirts. They were super cool. Haha, just felt like throwing that in there. XD

Good luck on planning for next year! I'm sure you guys will do a great job :3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AlgusUnderdunk wrote:
Chamelion wrote:
Djm wrote:This was my first con, and it was 99.99999 percent perfect.

However....

I feel like I'm being a bit nitpicky, but it seemed like there was an endless supply of stuff in the Dealer's Room for, hmm.....how do I put it....teenager-appealing anime, and not a whole lot for older audiences.

Now, I don't mean hentai. Not at all. I mean the anime for people that are in their 20s and such. I didn't really see anything for Ergo Proxy or one of my personal favorites, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.


Try being MY AGE :( :(

No Lum, Ranma, Bubblegum Crisis :(

C


Wait wait, where we you guys wandering? Between all of the anime and manga booths I spotted quite the variety of manga, including Ranma 1/2 (and a large selection of discount 'older' manga at the Fast Food Anime booth), a lot of modern stuff, I even found a new series I'd been looking for, Jim Henson's Return to Labyrinth :3

Also, in the future should you ever not find an anime you're looking for, put in a request with Stan (he ran the anime booth in the center of the dealer room), he's typically willing to run back to his shop and pick up whatever people are looking for after the dealer's room closes for the day. Believe me, he has some extremely rare and hard to find stuff...

Although I liked the selection this year, I noticed several vendors were selling identical plushies (not all of the plushies, but some of the more prominent ones)... but I do think it's nice to have the sword and leather sellers there as well, as I spotted several people who fleshed out their costumes with some quick purchases from them... albeit next year it might be nice if one of our vendors had videogames and associated swag ^_^


DJM: Your first con will just about always be 99.9999% perfect.

But annyway, Youmacon is kind of a small con, in case you haven't noticed. There won't be a lot of anime selections and such because the Dealers' Room isn't as big as it would be in other cons. I think the more you go to cons, the more you start to weed out reasons for going to certain cons.

I like Youmacon for just Chillin' with friends and aimlessly walking about. The Dealers' Room isn't impressive to me, and I never find too much selection in it. I spent almost all my money in the Artist Alley this year.

Anime Central, has a ridiculously huge Dealers' Room. They have Hentai Stands, Manga Stalls with just about as much manga as you would find at a Borders, Stalls just for Figurines, Some just for accessories, etc. You can find a multitude of things there, lots of places to spend your money at!

But what the hell does age have to do with anything?
I think it's all about popularity. Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, and that...Vampire one (Can't remember the name) are all really popular right now. So what are vendors going to do? Sell their merchendise!

I'm absolutely in love with Evangelion, but I couldn't find a single T-shirt. It's not because it's a bad anime, or because it's for 'people my age' it's just because at the moment, it's not quote, un-quote 'in'.
Last edited by [sugarhigh] on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 am
First Anime: Project A-Ko
Location: Lansing
Contact:

Postby Chamelion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:56 pm

[sugarhigh] wrote:I didn't like the location so much. There weren't any cheap places to eat that were close by, it would have been nice to have like a Taco Bell or something within walking distance.


Taco Bell was in the mall's foodcourt, very close walking distance. A few minutes to walk there, a few minutes back. They also had subway, a couple chinese places, among other good food choices, and even a McD's.

There was even a food map inside the con booklet.

C
---------------------------------------
I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.
---------------------------------------

User avatar
[sugarhigh]
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Midgar
Contact:

Postby [sugarhigh] » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Chamelion wrote:
[sugarhigh] wrote:I didn't like the location so much. There weren't any cheap places to eat that were close by, it would have been nice to have like a Taco Bell or something within walking distance.


Taco Bell was in the mall's foodcourt, very close walking distance. A few minutes to walk there, a few minutes back. They also had subway, a couple chinese places, among other good food choices, and even a McD's.

There was even a food map inside the con booklet.

C


Are you kidding me!?
Nobody informed me of this! Well ****, I guess I take back what I said :3

User avatar
Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 am
First Anime: Project A-Ko
Location: Lansing
Contact:

Postby Chamelion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 pm

[sugarhigh] wrote:
Chamelion wrote:
[sugarhigh] wrote:I didn't like the location so much. There weren't any cheap places to eat that were close by, it would have been nice to have like a Taco Bell or something within walking distance.


Taco Bell was in the mall's foodcourt, very close walking distance. A few minutes to walk there, a few minutes back. They also had subway, a couple chinese places, among other good food choices, and even a McD's.

There was even a food map inside the con booklet.

C


Are you kidding me!?
Nobody informed me of this! Well ****, I guess I take back what I said :3


Heh, Yeah, the mall was right out the front door and across the street. All malls have food courts :D

C
---------------------------------------

I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.

---------------------------------------

User avatar
SourNine
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Contact:

Postby SourNine » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:20 pm

the con was great, (apart from the usual things like unwanted con drama, but that could happen to anyone!) the staff was awesome, and i'm very happy with the signs being at a minimum; they were ridiculous last year. i love the new hotel, except the dealer's room seems smaller, and it seemed there were less vendors this year? maybe it's just because they were packed a little more tightly? the game room was fantastic, i just wish there could have been more done about the people that had just parked themselves in various places.. in everyone's way. (i.e. the halls, bottom of the stairs, stair landings) but that's hard to control anyway. the maid cafe was awesome, and i don't normally go to them. our waitress made sure to find a guest for us to talk to, (caitlin glass. i'm sure i just butchered her name) and she was a lot of fun to talk to.

i will definitely be there next year (if college allows.. )
Youma 2010 cosplay
Vocaloid Megpoid Gumi - "Matryoshka"
The GazettE's "Distress and coma" Ballerina
Asteroid Senshi - Sailor Juno
(possibly) Daisuke from Kagerou's "Aidoru Gurui no Shinrigaku" PV

User avatar
Toboe5
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:59 pm
Location: nunya

Postby Toboe5 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:52 pm

masterewok wrote:I have but one complaint and it is very small...there was no duskull plushie. Everything else was awesome.


I could've sworn at one of the stalls I saw a Duskull plushie!! But I had a platinum badge, and was there an hour before the huge rush of people, so it could have sold while I was checking out other stands. But I swear I saw one

User avatar
masterewok
Posts: 3775
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Not Ohio. Gawd I hate ohio...

Postby masterewok » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Toboe5 wrote:
masterewok wrote:I have but one complaint and it is very small...there was no duskull plushie. Everything else was awesome.


I could've sworn at one of the stalls I saw a Duskull plushie!! But I had a platinum badge, and was there an hour before the huge rush of people, so it could have sold while I was checking out other stands. But I swear I saw one

There was one...and i missed it...NOOOOOOO!
~COSPLAY LIST~
CHU - YU YU HAKUSHO 0.00%
LADD RUSSO - BACCANO! 5.00%
SCOTT PILGRIM 25.00%
I'M PRETTY MUCH SCREWED...YAY!

User avatar
KraZGurl
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:26 pm

Postby KraZGurl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:55 am

Chamelion wrote:
[sugarhigh] wrote:
Chamelion wrote:
[sugarhigh] wrote:I didn't like the location so much. There weren't any cheap places to eat that were close by, it would have been nice to have like a Taco Bell or something within walking distance.


Taco Bell was in the mall's foodcourt, very close walking distance. A few minutes to walk there, a few minutes back. They also had subway, a couple chinese places, among other good food choices, and even a McD's.

There was even a food map inside the con booklet.

C


Are you kidding me!?
Nobody informed me of this! Well ****, I guess I take back what I said :3


Heh, Yeah, the mall was right out the front door and across the street. All malls have food courts :D

C


My only complaint with the mall was that it was never open late enough for me! D: But not the fault of the con... really my own. I just need to train my body to get hungry earlier in the day. ^^;
http://americanlink.deviantart.com My deviantART

Planned Cosplays:
Thursday: Steampunk(99%)
Friday: Kanaya, green dress (Homestuck)70%
Saturday: Troll Mage Redux (WoW)7%
Sunday: Regular Outfit Kanaya (Homestuck)90%

User avatar
Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 am
First Anime: Project A-Ko
Location: Lansing
Contact:

Postby Chamelion » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Or if you like subway, get a sandwhich and have it ready for when you are hungry :)

C
---------------------------------------

I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.

---------------------------------------


Return to “2008 Memories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests