Official Youmacon 2008 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

KraZGurl

Postby KraZGurl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Chamelion wrote:Or if you like subway, get a sandwhich and have it ready for when you are hungry :)

C

I actually can't stand subway. XD I usually do bring snacks with me to conventions, as I know I always get hungry AFTER everything closes.
http://americanlink.deviantart.com My deviantART

Planned Cosplays:
Thursday: Steampunk(99%)
Friday: Kanaya, green dress (Homestuck)70%
Saturday: Troll Mage Redux (WoW)7%
Sunday: Regular Outfit Kanaya (Homestuck)90%

MissyTheMouse

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby MissyTheMouse » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:02 pm

The good:

Youmacon staff, Youmacon attendees, generally Youmacon stuffs... bigger spaces and holy huge AMV room!!, great planning with pre-reg, loved Youmacon security in cosplay (never noticed before perhaps?), maps!! so wonderful!, friendly people, nice organization. Well done Youmacon staff!!

The bad:

Parents of my fellow nerds who think the slightest inconvenience is a reason to "never come back" rawr face...

Panelists not knowing where/when panel was? Or if there was an emergency, nothing posted? - fixed by awesome panel attendees who stepped up and played the parts all impromptu-like.

The ugly:

Elevators - found the stairs on Sunday, walked all the way down 11+ flights with tons of luggage only to find out I had gone too far and my badge could be confiscated because nothing said to get out on the second floor, so I had to walk back up 2 flights (no exit on the 1st floor) - but that was really Hyatt's fault.

Fixes:

Keep Youmacon planning the same... communicate to Hyatt that they need better communication about stairs as an alternative (signs are marvelous things)... If at all possible, try to book the entire hotel so there's no Youmacon-wedding conflict... though it is entirely possible we'll have a wedding in cosplay next year (after all, we got 2 proposals and a birthing!) lol
Aeris 2008
Hotel room: $194, Platinum ID: $100, Cosplay: $750, Getting your husband addicted to Youmacon before he actually attends: Priceless

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby Chamelion » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:25 pm

KraZGurl wrote:
Chamelion wrote:Or if you like subway, get a sandwhich and have it ready for when you are hungry :)

C

I actually can't stand subway. XD I usually do bring snacks with me to conventions, as I know I always get hungry AFTER everything closes.

Soooooo, what happened THIS time? :)

C
---------------------------------------
I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.

TechnoLocker

Postby TechnoLocker » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:47 pm

youjik33 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that the Saturday night karaoke issue hasn't been addressed yet, unless I missed it.

I addressed it, I think it was on page 4 or 5 or 6. But I'll address it again, because it ticked me off, too! ><+ I'll be more detailed than my last post too, because I wanted to talk about some things, but didn't have time...

The people who ran it were rude and inconsiderate! They almost ended it an hour early on accident, and when I showed them the schedule, and that it was scheduled to end at 2am, after the time change, they WERE not very nice about it. The lady informed me that she "didn't care", and several minutes later she announced, "well, congratulations, you guys won, we'll extend it!" in a very snotty way. They were also very rude towards the performers, laughing and actually head-desking at people weren't as musically-talented as some of the others. Apparently they didn't realize that youmacon karaoke is for FUN, not to show off your skill. (Though it might be fun to have a contest!)

They also only had one mic, and they were rather snatchy with it, I thought. And when I wanted to sing my duet with a friend, the lady read off a bunch of names of people who were before us (understandable, seeing as they hadn't gone yet). When no one replied, she decided to let me go... Then a girl came up, who had been unable to hear her name had been called, so I let her go before me. I think it was about 3 people who then went after her, and before me. After my friend and sang our duet, we left, even though I'd signed up to do my own song. I don't know if those people had been signed up or not, but obviously either the lady needed to read louder, or people needed to get their ears checked.

Also, it would've been nice if they could've held it in the restaurant, like last year.

Fortunately, it was one of the very few things that I didn't like about the convention! I thought everything else was fantastic. It was my third year with youmacon, and my expectations were definitely fulfilled.

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 pm

TechnoLocker wrote:
youjik33 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that the Saturday night karaoke issue hasn't been addressed yet, unless I missed it.

I addressed it, I think it was on page 4 or 5 or 6. But I'll address it again, because it ticked me off, too! ><+ I'll be more detailed than my last post too, because I wanted to talk about some things, but didn't have time...

The people who ran it were rude and inconsiderate! They almost ended it an hour early on accident, and when I showed them the schedule, and that it was scheduled to end at 2am, after the time change, they WERE not very nice about it. The lady informed me that she "didn't care", and several minutes later she announced, "well, congratulations, you guys won, we'll extend it!" in a very snotty way. They were also very rude towards the performers, laughing and actually head-desking at people weren't as musically-talented as some of the others. Apparently they didn't realize that youmacon karaoke is for FUN, not to show off your skill. (Though it might be fun to have a contest!)

They also only had one mic, and they were rather snatchy with it, I thought. And when I wanted to sing my duet with a friend, the lady read off a bunch of names of people who were before us (understandable, seeing as they hadn't gone yet). When no one replied, she decided to let me go... Then a girl came up, who had been unable to hear her name had been called, so I let her go before me. I think it was about 3 people who then went after her, and before me. After my friend and sang our duet, we left, even though I'd signed up to do my own song. I don't know if those people had been signed up or not, but obviously either the lady needed to read louder, or people needed to get their ears checked.

Also, it would've been nice if they could've held it in the restaurant, like last year.

Fortunately, it was one of the very few things that I didn't like about the convention! I thought everything else was fantastic. It was my third year with youmacon, and my expectations were definitely fulfilled.

I think the other poster meant that we (the staff) haven't addressed it yet, which I responded to back there. Like I said, I assure you something will be said once the staff gather their information and size it up.

KraZGurl

Postby KraZGurl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Chamelion wrote:
KraZGurl wrote:

C

C

You know how there is that one thing you forget?

Yeah....

Planned Cosplays:

Chamelion
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Project A-Ko

Postby Chamelion » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:56 pm

KraZGurl wrote:
Chamelion wrote:
KraZGurl wrote:

C

C

You know how there is that one thing you forget?

Yeah....

Oh yeah, I know. My friend Kumi shared a room with me at Otakon this last August... and for all she brought, she forgot one key thing; her pajamas. So, she slept in her cosplay every night. THEN, I made sure she remembered them when she went to another con last month.... yeah, she remembered... but then she forgot her phone charger... so she had no phone all weekend. :)

So... yeah. heh.

C

I am an astute observer of the glaringly obvious.

eccallow

I have to say

Postby eccallow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:47 am

For my first con it was great there were a couple of things though. The masquerade ball was quite disappointing first it started really really late and then the room was just to small, there was no where to sit in case you didn't want to dance the whole time, and everybody didn't actually expect real ball dancing music. Then I noticed the con suite was very small and it smelled, but maybe that was just me cause I have a sensitive nose.

Ok maybe more then a couple of things but I do have a suggestion next maybe for next year there should be designated area's to take photos with other con goers like off to the side of the hall ways, out of door ways things like that to keep traffic smooth. I caught myself more then once blocking someones way and someone blocking my way as well it became very difficult especially when there were the big events like Mario Party.

Just some observations sorry to seem like a nag. ^_^
Ivy

lilyclairwell

Re: I have to say

Postby lilyclairwell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:58 pm

eccallow wrote:Ok maybe more then a couple of things but I do have a suggestion next maybe for next year there should be designated area's to take photos with other con goers like off to the side of the hall ways, out of door ways things like that to keep traffic smooth. I caught myself more then once blocking someones way and someone blocking my way as well it became very difficult especially when there were the big events like Mario Party.

There are photo shoots/gatherings to cut down on traffic jams like this. However, there are a lot of people that don't bother looking for them, or don't care that much about getting a picture. So, those people just grab pictures of the cosplays in the hallways on impulse. It's really up to attendees to be considerate to others.

Something picture takers should do is try to shoot down the hallway instead of across it. Both the photographer and the subject of the picture should be up against the same wall.

RhodenKami
Gaming Staff

Postby RhodenKami » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:50 pm

I really wish that my camera had been in working order for Youmacon this year, but such is fate. I may not have any pictures of the convention or you magnificent folks who made it what it was, but you will live forever in my dreams.
I'm the Other Jesse (the one who isn't Jenna's brother)

Planned cosplays for Youmacon '09:
Barry (the Rival) from Pokemon D/P/P
Archie (the leader of Team Aqua) from Pokemon R/S/E

Tatsu_loves_Akito

Postby Tatsu_loves_Akito » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:53 pm

well though they were for the most part "Professional" I did have a couple issues with the staff. There was this one lady who was on security who I had a little issue with. It was early saturday morning and I had stayed up all night playing games with my friends in the gaming room...That was a blast but next year maybe we could have a bleach game set up? Anywho I had decided to check something really quick over in the AA and I was walking, rather quietly cause I don't make a lot of noise when I walk, and got stopped by this guy who was drunk. He started talking to me and I was being polite and answering using a voice that wasn't too loud for 5 am in the elevator area. A few other people came over and started up a conversation with this guy while I was tryin to find a polite way to excuse myself. Then this lady on security comes over, basically accuses ME, a 17 year old who refuses to touch the stuff, of being drunk, then tells me (and the others who weren't all that loud anyways) that we were being to loud and tells me to go back to my room. I felt like she was patronizing me just cause I'm a year younger than an adult and felt rather offended...

The other incedent was when I had my stuff stored on a trolley. It was bad enough that my friend had forgotten some of hwer stuff on the trolley and I was the last pick up but one of my wig heads was missing and the other was beat up and someone had written on it(I know its not their fault but it helps me feel better to talk it out anyways) and they told me that I was supposed to give them a big tip...we had already given an appropriate tip back in the room and I felt like they were trying to con(ooh bad pun) some money out of me. I just felt that they were being a little unprofessional and I know some other people have had complaints of the hotel staff...
[b][u]Tentative Schedule[/u][/b]
[b]Thursday:[/b] Iron Man
[b]Friday:[/b] Redcoat England(hetalia)
[b]Saturday:[/b] Mom(Homestuck), Snowman(Homestuck)
[b]Sunday:[/b] Raku(NSG)

KraZGurl

Postby KraZGurl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am

Tatsu_loves_Akito wrote:well though they were for the most part "Professional" I did have a couple issues with the staff. There was this one lady who was on security who I had a little issue with. It was early saturday morning and I had stayed up all night playing games with my friends in the gaming room...That was a blast but next year maybe we could have a bleach game set up? Anywho I had decided to check something really quick over in the AA and I was walking, rather quietly cause I don't make a lot of noise when I walk, and got stopped by this guy who was drunk. He started talking to me and I was being polite and answering using a voice that wasn't too loud for 5 am in the elevator area. A few other people came over and started up a conversation with this guy while I was tryin to find a polite way to excuse myself. Then this lady on security comes over, basically accuses ME, a 17 year old who refuses to touch the stuff, of being drunk, then tells me (and the others who weren't all that loud anyways) that we were being to loud and tells me to go back to my room. I felt like she was patronizing me just cause I'm a year younger than an adult and felt rather offended...

Why do I have a feeling that this was the same woman that demanded that I go to bed (also early Saturday morn.)

Planned Cosplays:

Tatsu_loves_Akito

Postby Tatsu_loves_Akito » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:34 pm

KraZGurl wrote:
Tatsu_loves_Akito wrote:well though they were for the most part "Professional" I did have a couple issues with the staff. There was this one lady who was on security who I had a little issue with. It was early saturday morning and I had stayed up all night playing games with my friends in the gaming room...That was a blast but next year maybe we could have a bleach game set up? Anywho I had decided to check something really quick over in the AA and I was walking, rather quietly cause I don't make a lot of noise when I walk, and got stopped by this guy who was drunk. He started talking to me and I was being polite and answering using a voice that wasn't too loud for 5 am in the elevator area. A few other people came over and started up a conversation with this guy while I was tryin to find a polite way to excuse myself. Then this lady on security comes over, basically accuses ME, a 17 year old who refuses to touch the stuff, of being drunk, then tells me (and the others who weren't all that loud anyways) that we were being to loud and tells me to go back to my room. I felt like she was patronizing me just cause I'm a year younger than an adult and felt rather offended...

Why do I have a feeling that this was the same woman that demanded that I go to bed (also early Saturday morn.)

wow cause it probably was
[b][u]Tentative Schedule[/u][/b]
[b]Thursday:[/b] Iron Man
[b]Friday:[/b] Redcoat England(hetalia)
[b]Saturday:[/b] Mom(Homestuck), Snowman(Homestuck)
[b]Sunday:[/b] Raku(NSG)

Mirena

Postby Mirena » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Tatsu_loves_Akito wrote:
KraZGurl wrote:Why do I have a feeling that this was the same woman that demanded that I go to bed (also early Saturday morn.)

wow cause it probably was

-and why do I have a feeling that I know exactly who you're talking about? o_o"

patrickbooya

Postby patrickbooya » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Demanding that you go to bed? lol

Is she the mom of the Hotel? :roll:

Return to “2008 Memories”