Official Youmacon 2008 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our fourth year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Official Youmacon 2008 Feedback Thread

Postby mgperkow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:33 am

Here's the official feedback thread for the 2008 Youmacon convention.

We moved to a new hotel this year. So tell us...

What'd we do right? What'd we do wrong? What should we do the same next year? What should be different?

Tell us your thoughts!

Postby Quii » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:53 pm

I loved this year's Youmacon!

In my opinion, the location was flawless. There was a mall within walking distance where us without the spare change to afford the Maid Cafe could migrate to, a lovely hotel with pool access, and gorgeous rooms. I think that as far as where the Convention was held this year, you guys did awesome.

My only real gripe was the size of the Con Suite. It was a bit small and didn't have much seating, but even then, that really isn't much of a complaint. This year was awesome, and I'd like to thank everybody who could make it possible for us to enjoy another great year at Youmacon.

Thanks so much!

Postby patrickbooya » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Just got home.

I have to say Youmacon has did it again, another great year for a great convention.

The rave was seriously amazing, top notch song list yadda yadda yadda.
More room gave the gaming room a great atmosphere and I felt pretty much like I was in Heaven.

The only thing that bugged me at all, whatsoever was the hotel security. I think the whole ear plug/phone thing made me chuckle. some old folk's complained about us being too loud so we kept quiet after that, I guess they complained about another room next door from them on the other side too a couple minutes after. I don't think they were part of the con but they could have been. We left the tv on accidently when leaving the room and it was at a pretty low volume, guess they complained about that too so I had to run up there and turn it off on the 8th floor :|
That's the only con I had out of this convention. and it wasn't even part of the convention

Youmacon is the Best.

First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby Tatsuha » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 pm

I had a long rant typed up, but Firefox crashed. So here's the cliff notes.

+ Gaming was incredible this year.
+ Music Gaming setup, might have been small ( Rock Band/World Tour) but **** if it didn't melt faces when done.
+ Overall the entire con was better than my first 3 years, and it has nothing to do with staffing.

- The Dealers Room was tiny, and felt very bland. The selection was not very good; but the con has no control over that, I assume.
~2005 - 2007 Gaming Staff ( ADH, DH, ADH )
~ Winners of the 2008 Rock Band 2 Tournament ( Leader of Severe Fatality )

Postby Rei » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 pm

This year's youmacon was marvelous. it flowed like a well-oiled machine, and I barely saw any flaws. You've done it again, you reminded me why I love going to cons so much!

The rave this year was AMAZING! seriously, I couldnt get enough of the rave. Everyone (well mostly everyone) was friendly and willing, and I wasnt much bothered.

Beautiful con, beautiful year guys!
Cosplays for '09:
Medusa(stage 2) from Soul Eater
RED Scout from Team Fortress 2

Lysol Queen

Postby Lysol Queen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Here's a report from three very underaged con goers. We're collaberating on this, y'know.

Videogames were okay, we guess. Of course there was waiting, which was to be expected. Lot of fun. Very crowded, though. Youngest sprained his ankle.

Elevators suck. We waited forever before finally just taking the stairs. But there's no helping that.

The Maquar.. Masur.. whatever it's called was hilarious.Didn't get some of the references, but most was funny. We loved the host guy.

Loved being in the photoshoots. Bought alot of candy, buttons, and other stuff.

We can't wait till next year.

Postby Vinny » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:25 pm

I had a great time, the events were a lot more organized. Getting my registration was extremely quick. It took 10 minutes to get my badge in the pre-reg line. I loved it. X3 The green room for the masquerade was huge and cold and had food which made me happy. The video rooms were a little small but that didn't bother me much. Any problems we had were the hotel staffs fault. So I just want to say great job to the staff and it was a great year.

Oh and...for those of you who accidentally stepped on my tonberry king tail...and said sorry about it...thank you :)

For those of you who kicked it around for fun.... :x :evil: Much hatred for you. lol

First Anime: Dragon ball Z

Postby Warsmen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Yes this years was amazing! It was bigger, but I wish that the elevators weren't so crowded, but then again that is expected so I didn't complain, People seemed to like the idea of my Vampiric Ishida Bleach costume very well. Also Saturday was a blast! The Rave was amazing, and the activites were good. Our skit went well, and that was organized (I was the Pokemon Trainer in the Proposal skit.) I also got a lot of credit with my Generic Pokemon Trainer Costume, it went well.

The dealers room was okay, not as selective as last year, but I got what I wanted and it was all good. Artist alley was amazing, they had some great dealers.

Everything was well organized even though some things ran a little late, everything was on time.

Thank you all for the wonderful time!
Cosplays for 2010:
Star - Arakawa Under the Bridge
Mammon (Viper) - Hitman Reborn
Sudowoodo - Pokemon (100%)

Postby Csophae » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm

The hotel was INCREDIBLE. Never go anywhere else. 500% better than the previous years. The huge gaming room was a big plus. You guys really outdid yourself.

I think the people in charge of some of the panels failed at being prepared, like knowing exactly what was going to be talked about or taught, and having their equipment hooked up (or knowing how to hook it up).

The letdown was in the Royal Masquerade Ball. We could have stood for a bigger dance floor, but the actual complaint was that the music was not danceable. It was theme songs and David Bowie played on a loop. In the instruction class (which was excellent!) we learned to salsa, but no salsa was played at the dance.

Overall I thought the location and the sheer number of things happening and the people made it wonderful.
Despite massive costume problems, Wildberry Princess was ultimately a success.

Postby Nami_Kage » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 pm

one word... AWESOME. Great people, b-e-a-utiful new hotel location, and everything else that an Otaku needs to survive in this anime world.

but I'm sad it's over. :cry:
Sakura Haruno (Shippuuden, Naruto) -- 100%
Maka (Soul Eater) -- 100%
C2 (Code Geass) -- 20%
Rainbow-BakaProductions=Craziness XD

Postby Kei » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Just got home and ofcourse I'm already back on the youmacon website >>;; I feel like such a loser lol. But anyways, I loved youmacon this year. It was so much better in so many ways. I love the new hotel it is at and yea. I just give it two thumbs up for sure :]
Cosplays 10'
Rena from Higurashi, Roxie from Scott Pilgrim

Mandysaurus Rex

Re: Official Youmacon 2008 Feedback Thread

Postby Mandysaurus Rex » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Sad to say I wasn't able to be there for very long.
Didn't get to talk to much people.
Though I did see really nice people.

I hope you have it at the Hotel next year.
I think it's a great place for the Youmacon

And next year I'll be sure to stay a long time so I can meet some people :3

Postby Alcheous » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:14 pm

I think there should have been a note in the Youma-Youma Paradise that there were stairs on first and second floors. (Quite some cosplayers complained about that, having to get on an elevator. I think a note to should made of the second-floor -behind staff door- stairwells).
Other then that I think the new location is great!
Sure.. it's at a location where I needed directions to get to.. But I think it was worth it.

I find these to be good...
-The Dance was much better then last year, thanks to a bigger room
-The Dealer's room was much easier to move around in, yet not as exciting as I would have hoped (No control over that.. ha..ha..)
-All the panels were easy to find in the hotel, the placement of the schedule/ map stands were in good areas.

But then the bad...
-People cut in the registration line, and no staff said anything about it. Maybe have some sign saying where the line starts. (By cut I mean coming from where the sharpie tables were and just mobbing the desk)
2008 Cosplay- Hisagi Shuhei

Cosplay(s) for 2010-
Trying to form together a nice rave outfit- Meeeheheh 1%

Postby GoddessOfCrimsonSand » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Yes yes:

Very nice location, fun panels, registration was easy (for a friend and me, that is-- I can't say the same about anyone else), there were no annoying clots in the hallways, the staff was pretty friendly, waits to events like the masquerade and the dealers' room weren't forever.

ELEVATORS. Also, I didn't really like the music chosen for the rave. That is all, surprisingly enough.

All in all, you guys pulled off a spectacular con, in my opinion. Thank you once again for making Youmacon the only redeeming event in Michigan. :)

Otonashi Saya

Postby Otonashi Saya » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:39 pm

I loveedd it. My first con and I thought it was amazing. I agree on the con suite was small but I'm not really into the con suite. Also, I loved the rave first time for that too xD but I thought it was kinda weird it went to like unts unts music to a band regardless I loved everything and glad I became apart of it.

Return to “2008 Memories”