Cobo?

Questions about the convention that don't pertain to a certain department.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Re: Cobo?

Postby Neotestament » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:40 am

I don't know about anyone else. But I'm lazy as hell. If for whatever reason I need to get to the Ren Cen because I need to do something staff wise, sure as **** i'm driving. And all because I know the parking lot will be empty...
Neotestament
Gaming DH

First Anime: Robotech

Postby Kip » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:37 am

Neotestament wrote:I don't know about anyone else. But I'm lazy as hell. If for whatever reason I need to get to the Ren Cen because I need to do something staff wise, sure as **** i'm driving. And all because I know the parking lot will be empty...

Unless there's a Wings game.
Can you get in and out of the decks without depositing your firstborn to pay for parking deck fees?

yippee5000 wrote::nono: It's the weather! :nono: The only thing that could really mess up your con experience..... :derpy:

If the weather is that bad, the people mover should get you there and back practically dry/not fostbitten!
Cosplays
'13:
-Grandpa Harley (Homestuck)
-Carlos (WtNV)

'14:
-TBD
Kip

First Anime: Samurai Pizza Cats

Postby yippee5000 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Depends on your cosplay.......some may not make the people mover.....then again if there something at Cobo you can't miss.....you probably won't. most of us will have a variety to change into any ways.....I have two new ones for next year going already! :wink:
Monkey D. Garp
Kiato syncronicity v.
Hetalia Japan military
Dieshuu Kaiki..3 versions XD
Admiral Sadri Fam the Silver Wing
?????
yippee5000
Platinum Attendee

First Anime: speedracer

Postby CIAAPC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:56 pm

I say we just shut up and give it a chance, I know some of us may have walked the walk to cobo from rencen and back, but we're really truly not going to know how good this will be for us until Youma2012 actually comes, I mean, it doesn't matter how much moaning and groaning we do, we still have to expand SOMEWHERE right? And it's already been said Courtyard don't like us [probably cuz their a bunch of lame normies who know nothing of fun..] [also no offense to any congoer who works, or has family that works in the Courtyard] Soooooo we have no choice but to suck it up and deal with it. =]] :kirby:
Youma2012:
Princess Celestia [I will attempt this, because I didn't see any this year ;-;]
Hinaichigo from Rozen Maiden

Post-con depression is depressing.....
CIAAPC

First Anime: YuGiOh/Tokyo Mew Mew

Postby MiyukiChan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't like going to the dealers room and all in cosplay, so I just go in my regular clothes. I find it's easier. And it'll be much easier to make the trip to cobo without it. It's not much of a big deal to me.
MiyukiChan
Platinum Attendee

First Anime: InuYasha

Postby gowesker53 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:45 am

im fine with them doing this cause of the need of space but only if they consider saftey i'll be happy (last year i used youmacon as an example in a paper about world overpopulation)
2012 cosplay
Resident Evil- STARS Wesker
Hetalia-Germany
gowesker53

First Anime: mobile suit gundam (1980's)

Postby Mike12833 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 am

the walk would be fine plus there's the people mover so everything should be fine all i can say is get a jacket or something before u go outside it'll probably be cold...
Youmacon 2014 - Cosplay List
To be decided...
Mike12833

First Anime: D. N. Angel

Postby ChibiKira » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:00 am

Im too lazy to read through all of these and from what I've gathered everyone seems to have basically the same fear. I've lived in Michigan my whole life (unfortunately...) and while yes it is true that Detroit can be really dangerous, the part where cobo and the ren cen is, isn't horrible. Every time I go there I see cop cars up the wazoo patroling that main street and just parked along the way so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, detroit during the day is really busy people are walking down that street all the time. Be smart and use the buddy system. Not just two of you but find other people to walk with, especially if someone has a con-friendly weapon. (Wood hurts to) I'm not really scared to ride the people mover there, it's riding it back to the hotel because you have to ride it all the way around. One of my cosplays is stocking and I'm more than likely going to be carrying her sword and I'm sure as hell going to ask random con goers I see walking towards cobo if they want to walk together. I'm not going to lie, detroit scares the hell out of me, but if you use common sense you should be ok.

People mover map: http://www.thepeoplemover.com/map_interactive.html
You could get off at stop 9 or stop 11.
Last edited by ChibiKira on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChibiKira

First Anime: Cardcaptor Sakura

Postby yippee5000 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:44 pm

I work near the Museum district and walk at lunch nearly every day.... :)
Most people in the area are just private...not to friendly, not to rude... :twi:
This only 2 1/2 to 3 miles from the convention area, being alert is the best advice :wink:
Monkey D. Garp
Kiato syncronicity v.
Hetalia Japan military
Dieshuu Kaiki..3 versions XD
Admiral Sadri Fam the Silver Wing
?????
yippee5000
Platinum Attendee

First Anime: speedracer

Postby Mike12833 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:41 am

I figure if you kinda just do what "ChibiKira" said its not all that bad i mean i think the best thing to do would be the buddy system plus walking with someone carrying a huge prop can also be an advantage Lol
To be decided...
Mike12833

Postby EdrickV » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm sure I've posted this before, but for those that don't read all the posts I'll post here again. At Youmacon 2011 I went for a walk, alone in regular clothes, from the Ren Cen all the way down to the state park. (The opposite direction from Cobo.) While I was a little bit on edge, it turned out to be a nice walk and I did not feel threatened at all. Seriously, on my way back I passed a couple of old women who'd seemingly been shopping and were walking along the Riverwalk like it was an everyday thing. A recent news article I read (talking about an app Microsoft is making to help people avoid "bad" areas) actually specifically mentions the downtown area, from the Ren Cen to Ford Field, as an area where "comparatively little crime happens." And if the walkways between Cobo and the Ren Cen are anything like the Riverwalk area just outside the Ren Cen was for 2011, I'm thinking there'll be plenty of people walking to/from Cobo while Cobo is open. Especially if autographs are moved to Cobo as has been mentioned elsewhere. (And once Cobo closes, for most of us there won't be any reason to go there.)

I'd be more worried about the weather then safety. The people that wouldn't want to go outside for photoshoot pics probably won't want to walk to Cobo, which is where the People Mover comes in. Assuming it's still running by then. And it seems to me that people trying to take the People Mover in cosplay might encounter issues. Don't know for sure what kinds of turnstiles are in use these days, but I could imagine some costumes having issues with that. Particularly large costumes and/or props might pose issues as well. And if the weather really is bad (like rain and not just cold weather) we might have to wait in line to get on the People Mover. (Though it may actually be better then the elevator lines, supposedly there should be a People Mover arriving at the station like every 3 minutes.) I'm still wondering if the convention will be able to get those unlimited People Mover tickets, because that I think that would help people get over to Cobo easier and make the flow of people through the turnstiles smoother.
Youmacon 2012 Pictures: viewtopic.php?p=266173#p266173
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:
FF1 Red Mage, Pokemon Scientist Trainer from B/W
Pictures include Pokemon, Final Fantasy, CLAMP, photoshoots and Misc. pics
EdrickV

First Anime: Robotech

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Well I know they usually have a section of the turnstiles if I recall that's like for wheelchairs and stuff so one could go through that if needed for bags and or more bulky cosplays...
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...
Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee

First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Postby Mike12833 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Im sorry for turning a serious matter into a joke but.... here's exactly what you do if someone comes after you or up to you...
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) EZIO Y U NO requiescat in pace... ( can change name )
To be decided...
Mike12833

Postby LGS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm

youjik33 wrote:I'm not really paranoid about Detroit -- I go to Otakon every year, and Baltimore has some REALLY bad areas, but I've never felt unsafe walking to hotels, even when it's several blocks at night, because congoers tend to travel in groups. The issue I see is that I don't really think it'd be feasible to just wander back and forth between the two areas. I went to the dealer's room and AA this year when I didn't have anything else going on and was bored; if I had to walk several blocks, or catch a bus, or pay $1.25 for a round trip on the People Mover, I would probably not go over there just on a whim. I kinda imagine it'd end up hurting the artists and dealers in the long run.

I've been to Otakon as well, and Detroit isn't a patch on Baltimore. Baltimore is scary as balls.

Of course, I'm from Toronto, the largest city in Canada at 5 million people. Every American city is scary as balls.
LGS

First Anime: Vision of Escaflowne

Postby pcx » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I forget what thread it was, but I read somewhere that COBO isn't gonna be open for events at night anyway, so we don't need to worry about going back and forth at night. That sounds like it would help with a lot of the safety concerns.
pcx

First Anime: Some Sci-Fi channel thing, I forget lol

PreviousNext

Return to Youmacon Q & A