Rurouni Kenshin **Live Action Movie**!!!

Includes discussion of anime, manga, movies, books, music, and games.

Moderator: Public Moderators

MightyNeet
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Rurouni Kenshin **Live Action Movie**!!!

Postby MightyNeet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:04 am

My gawd. They're actually doing it. There's gonna be a live action Rurouni Kenshin movie coming out 8/25/12. If you want to see the trailer, I've posted the link below. It's in Japanese with English subtitles. Nothing R-rated, just violence befitting PG-13 though I have no idea what rating they'll give it when it's released.

Not only will one of THE best anime samurai series be acted out by real people, but the Japanese are the ones directing and making it :bow: . This looks so promising I can't wait!!

Let's hear what you think after watching!!

Go Kenshin/Live Action team!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNi8z5EWuE

**credit goes out to "myst1q88" for uploading the trailer.**

BehindTheMask
First Anime: Cowboy Bebop

Re: Rurouni Kenshin **Live Action Movie**!!!

Postby BehindTheMask » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:16 pm

When I first heard about it, I was worried, I'm not gonna lie. But thank goodness the Japanese are actually making it and not America. I watched the trailer and died. It looks so good. I can't wait. ^.^

MightyNeet

Postby MightyNeet » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

To celebrate the upcoming live action movie, Nobuhiro Watsuki reinvented the classic Rurouni Kenshin manga by adding new twists and turns into the storyline. The new manga is called "Rurouni Kenshin - Kinema-ban" and can be read on the following sites:

http://www.mangahere.com
http://www.tenmanga.com
http://eatmanga.com
http://www.mangapark.com

So exciting, the movie is just a couple months away!! :love:

AKADave
First Anime: DBZ

Postby AKADave » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 pm

The guy who is playing Kenshin was Ryotaro from Kamen Rider Den-O...I will see this movie.
Click on the sig...You'll be glad you did!!!

MightyNeet

Postby MightyNeet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 pm

The Rurouni Kenshin movie is out!! While it is not available to the U.S. yet... :skeptical: , it should be available soon.

Below is an English review of the movie. It got an impressive 5 stars :clap: according to the reviewer (who was a rather harsh critic in my opinion), and I CAN'T WAIT until this movie get's its butt over here to our neck of the woods!!

http://kotaku.com/5938365/the-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-movie-is-a-nearly-perfect-film-adaptation

Zweihander
First Anime: Ghost in the Shell

Postby Zweihander » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Live-action Blood: The Last Vampire sucked, no pun intended.
Live-action Devilman was horrid.
Live-action Casshern was okay at best.
Live-action Azumi was okay at best.
The cheesy-as-hell Chinese Dragonball movies were better than whatever seriousness Dragonball: Evolution was trying to accomplish.

I see no reason to be excited.

MightyNeet

Postby MightyNeet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Zweihander wrote:I see no reason to be excited.

You're right on all of the above except... This movie is done by Warner Brothers, not Fox, or Destination/Goldwyn Films, or Shochiku... and the WB has been in-charge of a lot of popular teen & adult oriented live-action productions... such as Ninja Assassin (rocked!), Batman Begins ( :batman: ), Superman Returns ( :love: ), Sherlock Holmes (very clever and wonderful cast), and many many more kick-butt box-office golds.

I have faith they won't screw it up, and the reviews for the movie have been very promising.

Cheers!

MightyNeet

Postby MightyNeet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:15 am

A new Extended Trailer was released, showing a good amount of footage from the movie! It's not subbed in English yet, but it is worth watching. The scenes look dramatic and the fighting is awesome! :twi: Below is the link to the new trailer, which was posted on youtube by Myst1q88.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV0r18CsJE

Zweihander

Postby Zweihander » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:57 am

MightyNeet wrote:
Zweihander wrote:I see no reason to be excited.

You're right on all of the above except... This movie is done by Warner Brothers, not Fox, or Destination/Goldwyn Films, or Shochiku... and the WB has been in-charge of a lot of popular teen & adult oriented live-action productions... such as Ninja Assassin (rocked!), Batman Begins ( :batman: ), Superman Returns ( :love: ), Sherlock Holmes (very clever and wonderful cast), and many many more kick-butt box-office golds.

I have faith they won't screw it up, and the reviews for the movie have been very promising.

Cheers!
They were also "in charge" of The Matrix Reloaded, if you want to peer at the other side of the coin. Christopher Nolan is more to thank for the Dark Knight trilogy's success than WB, and the Kenshin movie can be viewed with a similar logic. It's not about the publisher, it's about the director, and the quality control they exhibit. If they let poor acting slide, then the film will be a travesty unless viewed as a "cult classic" with the "so bad it's good" mentality. See also: George Lucas' direction of Star Wars episodes 1-4; Empire and Jedi were distinctly in another league thanks to direction from Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand, respectively.

Who knows. The trailers for Azumi could fool any desperate otaku into thinking, "This will be a serious and dramatic bloodfest, it definitely won't be a steaming pile of excrement like Ryuhei Kitamura's last movie, Versus!", and while it definitely had its legitimately well-executed moments here and there, the amount of cheese in that movie was staggering.

MightyNeet

Postby MightyNeet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Zweihander wrote:Who knows. The trailers for Azumi could fool any desperate otaku into thinking, "This will be a serious and dramatic bloodfest, it definitely won't be a steaming pile of excrement like Ryuhei Kitamura's last movie, Versus!", and while it definitely had its legitimately well-executed moments here and there, the amount of cheese in that movie was staggering.

Well, honestly there is no point arguing over the film when neither one of us has seen the whole potato. I do hope you'll get a chance to see it when it comes to your neck of the woods. AnimeNewsNetwork just released an article stating that 60+ countries have expressed interest in the film's licensing rights and over 1 million viewers have purchased tickets since the movie released on August 25. That's a pretty good show of numbers for a live-action anime adaption.

It just might be as good as the advertisements and the movie-reviewers say it is, so here's hoping. :)

Link to the article for those interested:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-02/live-action-rurouni-kenshin-film-licensed-in-60+countries

Zweihander

Postby Zweihander » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:07 pm

MightyNeet wrote:Well, honestly there is no point arguing over the film when neither one of us has seen the whole potato. I do hope you'll get a chance to see it when it comes to your neck of the woods. AnimeNewsNetwork just released an article stating that 60+ countries have expressed interest in the film's licensing rights and over 1 million viewers have purchased tickets since the movie released on August 25. That's a pretty good show of numbers for a live-action anime adaption.

It just might be as good as the advertisements and the movie-reviewers say it is, so here's hoping. :)

Link to the article for those interested:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-02/live-action-rurouni-kenshin-film-licensed-in-60+countries
Odds are it won't be coming to a theater near me (if other niche stuff like Appleseed and any Miyazaki movie before Spirited Away were a hint of anything) so I'll probably just have to download it. I will, at the very least, watch it all the way through and keep an open mind. At least it can't be as bad as the live-action Blood: The Last Vampire.

Hopefully. :|

Return to “Media”