Makeup Advice

Includes sewing, props, wigs, photography, and recommendations.

Moderators: Public Moderators, Cosplay Forums Moderators

undead1taco
First Anime: One Piece

Makeup Advice

Postby undead1taco » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:47 am

Hello there!
I'm a 19 year old girl that has never experienced the fine art of wearing makeup!
Why did I say that? Well, I need halp. :c
I've been looking up a lot about cosplay recently, and I keep seeing "You're cosplay will better with makeup", "makeup will really make your cosplay", etc.
I've been ignoring this junk because I have no interest in it, but at this point, I want to do all that I can to have a perfect cosplay.
I just need to know where to start, what tutorials to look at, etc., because I am very overwhelmed by the word "makeup" @__@
Any help would be appreciated! :D

Oh, and what about contacts? Do you have to have a prescription for contacts or can you just buy certain kinds? I've been dying to get contacts but I don't want to destroy my eyes :c
Youmacon 2016 Lineup :3
GaMzEe - Homestuck
Menma - Anohana
Northern Princess - Kantai Collection Kancolle

simply_mad
Live Programming Staff
First Anime: Digimon, My Neighbor Totoro, Fullmetal Alchemist

Re: Makeup Advice

Postby simply_mad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am

If you've never worn contacts, definitely go to the eye doctor before you think about buying them. They'll give you a prescription if you need one and your base curve measurement, and teach you how to wear them. Circle lenses are not dangerous if you aren't stupid about wearing them. My favorite sites are pinkyparadise.com and honeycolor.com, which sell both prescription and 0 power lenses.

As far as makeup, the simplest to pull off is foundation, mascara/eyeliner, and lip balm. A little bit of liner and mascara can make an immense difference between looking sleepy and actually having defined eyes in photos; pressed powder foundation will keep you from being shiny; and lip balm/gloss will give your lips a bit of shine and is easier to control than lipstick.

I used to use Covergirl pressed powder, and you can either use a foundation brush to apply it with a circular motion, or use the powder puff thingy included with the compact. Just make sure you blend it out, and don't apply so much that you look cakey. :) I can't vouch for any US brands of BB cream because I don't use them (they make me break out, so I use a Korean brand instead), but those are an alternative to dry makeup.

Once you get the hang of foundation/eye makeup, start incorporating eye shadows, blush, contouring, primer, sealers, fake lashes, heavier lip color, etc. The best thing to do is just to experiment, look at tutorials, and try out things until you get the hang of it.

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:14 am

So do people have to go back to the eye doctor once a year or something? or is it just go once, unless something happens with your eye?
I guess I could always just ask the doctor, but I also need to make sure that insurance will cover it first... :l
Makeup seems very overwhelming @__@ , but I think I'll just get the basics and work from there. I'll probably just look around for the best brands to use for each type of makeup. And like you said, I'll need to look up tutorials and just experiment.

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am

I worked as an EyeCare Advisor for 2 years, so please forgive me if I end up going on a speech about contacts and eye care >.>

I COMPLETELY agree with simply_mad about seeing an eye doctor. Some people will say that they've been wearing contacts without having been to an eye doctor, but you run such a risk with that. When you go to the eye doctor, not only will they give you an actual prescription if you need one (or they will just write a script for plano lenses which have no Rx to them), but the biggest thing from those visits, is you learn the safety and care for your lenses and eyes while wearing them. Learning your fit (base curve mainly) will help minimize the amount of moving a contact lens will do. The diameter isn't as important because that will vary with lenses (circle lenses are larger than standard and sclera lenses cover the whole eye). They will show you how to put them in, take them out, how to clean them, when to wear and not wear them.

As far as contacts go, it is recommended to have an eye exam once a year (though some doctors may say twice). A prescription is typically good for 1 year (again, can vary from dr to dr and you can always ask to see if they will extend it). A lot of sites may not worry about the Rx that you give them, that means that they are not regulated by the United States Food and Drug Administration and, if they are a US company, they are selling contacts illegally. I am not fully certain, but I do not believe sites like Pinkyparadise (and other big cosplay contact groups) are located in the US (many US companies are actually pulling away from colored contacts because the cost that comes with the the laws and then not being able to keep up with international companies).

So, check with your eye doctor for how often they want you back. As a new wearer, they may not be quite as willing to extend an Rx greater than a year, but it's up to them. If something does happen to you eye, see your eye doctor IMMEDIATELY. Contacts rest on the surface of the eye and you don't want the risk of damaging your eye or your eyesight. Just stick with what they teach you and all should be well!
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Oh wow, tons of information!
I have been wanting contacts for awhile anyhow, but I'm definitely careful when it comes to health-hazards.
I remember seeing a lot of people who said you don't need a prescription for certain lenses, but I'd rather have one, so then I don't have to worry.
I guess that means I'll need to make an appointment soon ^__^
Thanks for all the helpful advice/info!

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Even if you don't need the correction, it's always good to get the exam for the training and for a professional to say you can use plano lenses.

Good luck! I have to get mine set up soon too...
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

Eleke
First Anime: Card Captor Sakura

Postby Eleke » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:45 pm

People seem to have covered the bases with proper contact information, so I'll give you a bit of advice with makeup! NOVEL: AHOY!

Firstly, there are a *ton* of makeup tutorials on Youtube, even ones designed for makeup you can get for cheap at your local drugstore. However, makeup is definitely something where you pay for quality, so keep that in mind when doing your shopping. Worse comes to worst, shops like Sephora offer samples so if you're only going to be wearing makeup for a day you can go that route.

As far as the actual wearing of makeup, it can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. A basic look is simply evening out your skintone and framing your face with brows, eyes, and lips.

So, WHY wear makeup? Simply put, it makes you look better in pictures. Have you ever seen a picture of someone in cosplay and their outfit is on point but their skin looks shiny, or their eyes just sort of blend in with the rest of their face? Simple foundation could keep the shine down, and eye and lip makeup will make their face not so washed-out.

Super basic tutorial:

Wash your face. If you've got oils on your skin (which everyone does) it doesn't allow the makeup to adhere to your face and will end up making you splotchy. Use soap meant for your face! Body soaps can dry your skin out.

Apply a primer: Again, this helps keep your makeup in place, especially at a con when you might not have a chance to head back to your room for touch-ups. Personally, I like using a CC (which stands for color-correcting) cream: not only does it even out my skin tone (I have red cheeks and nose while the rest of my skin is super pale), but if you've got acne scars or pimples it can help cover them up.

Apply foundation: This is mostly what keeps things like shine down. Find a color that matches your skin in *natural lighting.* If a tester is available, use it!

Eye makeup:

Apply primer on your lids. There are different primers intended for different looks, but if you're just starting out your CC cream can do in a pinch. Then you want to highlight the shape of your eye: there are a ton of references online, but it basically boils down to using a neutral color from the top of the eyelid nearly up to your eyebrow, a light color across the main part of your lid, and a darker color on the outer corners and in the crease of your lid.

Eyeliner: there's a thousand different types, but it serves basically to make your lashes look super thick from a distance and to enhance the shape of your eye. Swipe it up along the top of your lashline, and on the outer bottom of your lower lids. Be careful not to outline your eye too much or else it will actually make your eyes look smaller! Also, the Captain Jack Sparrow look only really looks good on pirates.

Mascara: Helps curl your lashes and makes them fuller. Apply with a side-to-side wiggle to help prevent them from clumping together.

Lips:

Some lipsticks you put on, wait to dry, and they're bulletproof (lip stains in particular). Others need the occasional re-upping every now and then. Try out your lipstick before the con - wear it all day, and see how it looks an hour later, four hours later, 10 hours later. Some you can eat in, others it seems like you just smile at someone and it falls off. Depending on the lipstick you might want to actually keep it on hand for touch-ups. So, what can help? Lip liner: it's basically a colored pencil you can draw on your lips with. It used to be fashionable back in the day to outline your lips with a darker liner and then fill your lips in with a lighter one, so you might see some tutorials talking about this.

Don't do that.

Instead, outline your lips and then *fill them in* with a liner similar in color to your lipstick, and then apply the lipstick on top. You remember all that talk about primer? A liner is essentially a primer for your lips, and tends to be a lot more bulletproof than just lipstick alone.

And that's basically it: Liner than lipstick.

I know this sounds like a lot, but this method can get you from start to finish in about five minutes. There's a lot more things you can do, such as contouring (using lighter and darker colors to enhance some areas of the face and make others fade), false lashes, etc, but this will get you photo-ready with minimum effort.

If you need more visual guides Pinterest and Youtube are packed to the gills with tutorials! For Youtube, just search for "Basic Makeup Tutorial" or even "Drugstore Makeup Tutorial" if you want to keep your costs down. There are lots of information out there!

Return to “Cosplay: Construction and Advice”