Pink Insulation Foam Question

Includes sewing, props, wigs, photography, and recommendations.

Moderators: Public Moderators, Cosplay Forums Moderators

undead1taco
First Anime: One Piece

Pink Insulation Foam Question

Postby undead1taco » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:59 am

So, I'm making a guitar out of pink insulation foam.
I'm already done making the base of the guitar out of the foam, but I really don't know where to go from there... I've looked online for tutorials but there are so many different things that I could do to make my guitar waterproof or more durable.
I bought Mod Podge, and I tested it on a piece of foam, but it doesn't seem to work? I only put 3 coats on, and I may try more, but the guitar is huge, so I'd have to use a lot of Mod Podge in order to cover it.

I guess I'm just confused on what all to get for it... besides for paint.
I heard you need:

-Sealant
-Primer
-Gloss (I want that to make it look shiny)

But I'm not sure what brand to get or what type of each thing to get... I'm still relatively new to making props too.
Plus I'm not sure if a certain brand eats away at the foam and others don't. :c
Youmacon 2016 Lineup :3
GaMzEe - Homestuck
Menma - Anohana
Northern Princess - Kantai Collection Kancolle

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Re: Pink Insulation Foam Question

Postby ISOS_Duke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:15 pm

I would recommend Plasti-Dip, you can get it at most hardware stores. It's a rubber coat spray and since it is an aerosol, you would want to spray at least 12 inches away because if too close, it will eat through and bubble the foam.
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:31 pm

ISOS_Duke wrote:I would recommend Plasti-Dip, you can get it at most hardware stores. It's a rubber coat spray and since it is an aerosol, you would want to spray at least 12 inches away because if too close, it will eat through and bubble the foam.

Would that mean that I put it on before the paint job or after?
And would that be the only protected I needed for it? :o
Thanks!
GaMzEe - Homestuck
Menma - Anohana

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee

Postby ISOS_Duke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm

undead1taco wrote:Would that mean that I put it on before the paint job or after?
And would that be the only protected I needed for it? :o
Thanks!

It would go on before you would paint it as you would want it to look. It puts a rubber/plastic coat on the foam so it should protect it (they have a version of it in a can and it's used to actually dip the metal handles of tools in to give them the rubber handle). I would recommend doing it on some test foam you may have left over to see how it works out for you before putting it on the final piece.

I had used white plasti-dip on this mask (did about 4 coats I think). The mask is made from craft foam, but you can't really tell other than the fact that it's still really light. When I did the mask, I kept the can at a distance and did a rather generous fist coat, when I went back for later layers (after the first had dried), I was able to get closer if I wanted.

You're welcome and I hope that makes a bit more sense ^.^;;
Cosplays
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:43 pm

That makes more sense!
Like I said, or if I haven't said it already, I'm new to making larger props, so I just don't want to mess up... although at some point I think I will buy multiple products and test them.
So, can I paint the piece with acryllic paints after I use the plasti dip?
Oh, and another question... can I use a glossy paint to give it more of a metallic look without it damaging the platidip?
Reason I ask is I already bought the paint, and I don't want to have to buy more D:
Sorry for asking all these questions XD
GaMzEe - Homestuck
Menma - Anohana

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee

Postby ISOS_Duke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Gotcha! I'm newer with props as well, that mask is really the first thing I've completed, though I have a ton I'm working on for this year, one of which being a sword that will probably get plastidip on it if I can't afford Worbla (which could also be a nice option, though it a bit pricier).

No worries! I used Liquitex Basic which is an acrylic paint and had no problems at all! I don't see the plastidip being 'easy to damage' since it's made for tools in working conditions. According to a post on Cosplay.com (doing some more research for myself as well, though here's the link if you want to check it out), they found someone say that it's both a sealer and a primer. They also used a metallic paint over the plastidip and it turned out well!

Like any other spray paint, definitely spray outside or in a well ventilated area!
Cosplays
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:57 pm

ISOS_Duke wrote:Gotcha! I'm newer with props as well, that mask is really the first thing I've completed, though I have a ton I'm working on for this year, one of which being a sword that will probably get plastidip on it if I can't afford Worbla (which could also be a nice option, though it a bit pricier).

No worries! I used Liquitex Basic which is an acrylic paint and had no problems at all! I don't see the plastidip being 'easy to damage' since it's made for tools in working conditions. According to a post on Cosplay.com (doing some more research for myself as well, though here's the link if you want to check it out), they found someone say that it's both a sealer and a primer. They also used a metallic paint over the plastidip and it turned out well!

Like any other spray paint, definitely spray outside or in a well ventilated area!

Thanks so much! :D
I'm still going to try these methods on scrap pieces and see how they turn out.
I may have to put Gesso on first though... because my piece still isn't entirely smooth :l
I wish I had a heat gun to use Worbla! I saw a few tutorials on it and it looks so amazing *-* One day...
If you want I could send you the results on here if you'd like, since you're working on something similar :)
GaMzEe - Homestuck
Menma - Anohana

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee

Postby ISOS_Duke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Yes! I would totally love to see how it your project turns out! Thanks ^.^
Cosplays
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:07 pm

ISOS_Duke wrote:Yes! I would totally love to see how it your project turns out! Thanks ^.^

Ok, so... I coated three different pieces of foam with mod podge, gesso, and plastidip five times each.
The mod podge is crap it seems when coating foam because the paint doesn't really stick.
The gesso works really well, because it's suppose to help acrylic paint stick to different surfaces.
I don't know if I was using the plastidip right, but I'm going to look up tutorials for the best way to use them soon.
I may just say screw it and make two pieces of foam similar to a small prop I want to make and use both the gesso and plastidip.
So I didn't really find out much besides for the fact that mod podge doesn't really work well with foam :/
I'll get pictures once I make two pieces of foam for both the gesso and plastidip.
GaMzEe - Homestuck
Menma - Anohana

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee

Postby ISOS_Duke » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:21 pm

undead1taco wrote:Ok, so... I coated three different pieces of foam with mod podge, gesso, and plastidip five times each.
The mod podge is crap it seems when coating foam because the paint doesn't really stick.
The gesso works really well, because it's suppose to help acrylic paint stick to different surfaces.
I don't know if I was using the plastidip right, but I'm going to look up tutorials for the best way to use them soon.
I may just say screw it and make two pieces of foam similar to a small prop I want to make and use both the gesso and plastidip.
So I didn't really find out much besides for the fact that mod podge doesn't really work well with foam :/
I'll get pictures once I make two pieces of foam for both the gesso and plastidip.

The mod podge bit is definitely helpful for future projects! I started shaping the base shell of a breast plate today and once I have it done (alone with the details), I'll end up talking plasti dip to it. I am really curious to know what you end up finding out with gesso and the plastidip (though I'll probably be using spray paint on the breast plate).
Cosplays
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

undead1taco

Postby undead1taco » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 am

I have a feeling that I'm going to have to use spray paint on the plastidip, because some of the videos I've seen of people using plasti dip, they use spray paint to color it, not acrylic paint. :c
I guess I'll see. I also want to see how gloss fits over both gesso and plasti dip, but this will take me awhile to complete >.<

Return to “Cosplay: Construction and Advice”