Obscure, Rare and Original 2012

Includes Final Fantasy, J-rock, Kingdom Hearts, and Resident Evil.

Moderators: MagiusT, Public Moderators, Cosplay Forums Moderators

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Obscure, Rare and Original 2012

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Welcome the thread for the "Obscure, Rare and Original Cosplay" This is the gathering originally referred to as "Forgotten Folk...The Rare, The Odd and the Inbetween"

ITS TIME FOR AN EXPANSION PACK FOLKS.... OBSCURE, RARE, ORIGINAL IS RETURNING ONCE MORE!!! Raiji is bringing this well loved staple to Youmacon once again....

----
MEETING TIME:
Day: Saturday
Time: 4pm

----

Due to the somewhat amazing turnout for Youmacon's third year of the Obscure, Rare and Original cosplay gathering, I have chosen to have it return again for 2012.

Youma ORR History wrote:--Oddly for the first attempt in 2009, we got about 20-30 people to show in the peak of the shoot, which was pretty amazing for the fact it got slotted at 10am on Saturday and had at least two other main shoot butting back to back to it (Naruto being one of them), and planning for it was done in less then two months pre con.
--For 2010, it was once again slotted around 10-11am ish on a Saturday, but at least we weren't crammed into tiny space like year one...Year Two had about 15 people.
--For its third year, we did some expanding pulling in about I would say close to 40 people roughly during the course of the shoot. Saturday once again at 10ish am we met.

So I have chosen to bring back the gathering for 2012 and hope the turnout will be even better. And with it seeming to expand and appearing to grow in love, I think we might aim for a slightly later slot on Saturday, so hopefully EVEN more people can join us. Who knows, maybe we'll through in a mini tea party...who knows yet...

When I say all the odd folk, I am referring to gathering all those who are doing...

Rare Character Cosplays: Stuff you rarely see if at all/might see one of at entire con, IE: Philemon from Persona, only one doing an anime or game character, etc...especially if from a series not common anymore...or one of them characters from something newer, but underrated... like say that obscure side character from episode 3 of a series... that ya never hear from the rest of said series...XD
This is basically stuff you almost never see anymore (sometimes due to waning fandom), or even stuff that you hardly see... like say persons doing a Kefka. You hardly see one, so usually they are given the "Can't Walk 5ft Without Flashbulbs" syndrome....
This also includes "Old School Anime" characters....characters from older anime from like the 80's and very early 90's that is like almost never cosplayed anymore....or at all... like Eva pilots from Evangelion, Lamia from Betterman...etc...
This category (as all others) is NOT LIMITED to anime/manga and video game characters. This also includes characters from TV and Movies as well...

Original Character Designs/Concepts: Ever had that OC that you been dying to give the light of day or have reason to create? Well now you can show 'em off! Whether its a OC for a RP forum/chat or a character you creating for a fanfic...

Steampunk: There's usually not many of you guys around at the cons so heres a chance to join others as well as some other stuff you rarely see. I know that this category is growing a bit now with the advent of the World Steam Expo now in Dearborn, but I still invite our Steampunkers to come join us even if you decide to try for your own shoot this year...:)

Lolita: Sweet, Gothic, Punk, Pirate.... whatever the lolita fetish....show off your cute and fascinating self...

Maids: Another group not seen often, so come and join us as well....

Non Canon and Odd/Alternate Designs: Ever wanted to do some thing odd to a character, like dress Sasuke in drag? Or just do a totally original or unusual design that you could see a character wearing...Or are you doing that rare alternate version of a characters costume from a series' artbook?
IE: This icludes stuff like Aymano designs, artbook variations of a character costume of a series, etc

J-Pop and J-Rock: Are you doing some J-rock or pop fashion and want a place to gather with others who are doing similar, or even just come join a bunch of others who are all doing rare, or unusual costumes.

Pirates and Ninjas (No One Piece/Naruto): I know we always have a few of you guys wandering around, so why not come join us for a little fun. Sorry, don't got any rum Pirates, but I'm sure we can have some good fun none the less...XD

The idea I figured was to allow for all those folks who are doing those characters or costumes that either rarely do shoots or gatherings as since there is a very small number of folks doing them, to get the chance to at least gather together and at least possibly get a few pictures of them with other rare cosplays/characters and such.

ASK YOURSELF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IF YOUR CHARACTER DOESN"T QUITE FIT INTO ONE OF THE ABOVE CATEGORIES. HOW OFTEN DO YOU SEE THE CHARACTER OR SERIES COSPLAYED? OR HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE CHARACTER OR SERIES COSPLAYED?
Basically if you answer rarely or never, then more then likely it would be welcomed at this shoot...:)

So if you would be interested in a idea like this, then feel free to post and discuss or just add your two cents....
Last edited by Raiji Magiwind on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

ChibixOnigiri
First Anime: Dragon Ball / Sailor Moon

Re: Obscure, Rare and Original 2012

Postby ChibixOnigiri » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Vicorique from Gosick and Blue Maid flame Shana from Shakugan no shana :3
Uuuguu

yippee5000
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: speedracer

Postby yippee5000 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:02 pm

:clap: I will be back with Captian Hongo with an improved cosplay!
Nearly done with Claus Valca from Last Exile: Origins :ahhh:
Then there is the steam punk aviator dude.....
Which one do I bring to the shoot??
Garp the Fist
Kiato syncronicity v.
Hetalia Imperial Japan
Dieshuu Kaiki..5 versions!
Admiral Sadri Fam
Tomomi Masaoka
Alex Rowe

DemonBlackDragon
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby DemonBlackDragon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Last year I wanted to show up as Macho Man with my WWF group but they took to long to get ready so I couldn't go so I hope this year the Maddness will hit ths photo shoot OH YEAH!!
Youmacon 2017 cosplay list:
Thursday: Male Ryoko with Female Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo)
Friday: The Joker with Harley Quinn (Batman)
Saturday:Hannyabal with Sadi (One Piece)
Sunday: Hugo with Posion (Streetfighter X Tekken)

Wade(Tom Cruz)Wilson
First Anime: Bobobo.....

Postby Wade(Tom Cruz)Wilson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:12 pm

This might become common by next year, but I went as Okabe Rintarou from Steins;Gate.
"Concussion grenade.... ouch.... healing factor... the old pain receptors... constantly shuffling... letting me... absorb... the blast... but now...

TALKING... LIKE... SHATNER..." - Wadey

kawaii_yuki-chan
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby kawaii_yuki-chan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 pm

be prepared to have a couple 07-ghost ppl :) im gonna be bringing it back again this year with Mikage!!
Youmacon 2012
GodTier!John- Homestuck
Shiemi Moriyama- Ao no Exorcist
Mikage- 07-Ghost
Xerxes Break- Pandora Hearts

Mike12833
First Anime: D. N. Angel

Postby Mike12833 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:48 am

Ill be going as a more "rare" character, its ichigo from bleach in his final getsuga tenshou form...
-Youmacon 2015-

--Going to the Anime Convention Reviews meet-up

yippee5000
Platinum Attendee

Postby yippee5000 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

I look forward to seeing you at the shoot! :kirby:
Garp the Fist
Kiato syncronicity v.
Hetalia Imperial Japan
Admiral Sadri Fam
Tomomi Masaoka
Alex Rowe

Mike12833

Postby Mike12833 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:07 pm

yippee5000 wrote:I look forward to seeing you at the shoot! :kirby:

Lol i'll probably be the only "final getsuga tenshou" ichigo around the con, i wonder if anyone will know who i am xDDDD

p.s, ur love for hetalia america makes me think i may have seen u if u were cosplaying america for 2011 lol
-Youmacon 2015-

ShatteredPixie
First Anime: cardcaptor sakura, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor moon.... IDK

Postby ShatteredPixie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 am

Would a human Version of Tamama be considered in this section? I don't know if people cosplay stuff like that nowadays, i haven't been to too many cons.
2015 Cosplay plans~
Nothing... Cause I won't be there this year

-------------------------------
?2016 Plans?
Theo or Casey - Battle dog

yippee5000
Platinum Attendee

Postby yippee5000 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:25 am

:yes: I did cosplay America for 2011... working on making better for 2012 and Japan will be fun as well :geek:
Last edited by yippee5000 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garp the Fist
Kiato syncronicity v.
Hetalia Imperial Japan
Admiral Sadri Fam
Tomomi Masaoka
Alex Rowe

ShatteredPixie
First Anime: cardcaptor sakura, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor moon.... IDK

Postby ShatteredPixie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 pm

ok, my cosplay of Tamama this year will just be a preview for next year, i came up with an adorable dress for it just now, but my Hideyoshi cosplay comes first, so the Tamama cosplay for 2012 is going to be like a lazy day cosplay.
2015 Cosplay plans~
Nothing... Cause I won't be there this year

-------------------------------
?2016 Plans?
Theo or Casey - Battle dog

Faerie
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin

Postby Faerie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I wish it wasn't so rare, but I'll probably be one of the only star ocean cosplayers at the con ;_; I'll be attending as Rena from Star Ocean 2, but I'll probably only be her on friday, so if the shoot is on saturday, I wish you all the best fun!

Mike12833

Postby Mike12833 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Im also Thinking of cosplaying kaito ( possibly not sure yet ) if i do the version of him ill cosplay is more rare, i am actually stuck in between two kaito versions... Sandplay singing of the dragon ( Royalty looking ) or Uninstall ( blood, ice pick, just killed miku, len & rin, and everyone else ) Lol anyways that might be interesting...
-Youmacon 2015-

Aika_TheSwaggernaut
First Anime: Rockman

Postby Aika_TheSwaggernaut » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 am

So, here's a bit of a run through. (Not sure if these are popular or not. I mean, I don't usually see them):
Bridget from Guilty Gear. I swear I have not seen that, at all. So, I'm doing it
Kaito from Fleeting Moon Flower. As far as what I have googled, this cosplay is few and far between. Even art work is scarce.
Shana from Shakugan No Shana. Another one who, as far I know, I rarely seen cosplayed at cons.
Princess Xemnas. I think the name says it all.
Miko. I have NEVER seen someone cosplay this in person, EVER.0_0
Rogue The Bat(gijinka). There is a specific one I haven't seen done that I'll be doing.

Um, I think that sums it up for now. I 'll update if any I add anymore.

Return to “Cosplay: Video Game and Other”