Issue with Taking Pictures in the Ren Cen?

Includes masquerade, hall cosplay, Cosplay Shougi, the photo shoot gathering list, and guidelines.

Moderators: MagiusT, Public Moderators, Cosplay Forums Moderators

ladysphinx07
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Issue with Taking Pictures in the Ren Cen?

Postby ladysphinx07 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 am

So last year my friends and I were taking pictures of each other in our costumes in the Ren Cen. A security guard came up to us and asked if we had a permit, telling us that without one we weren't allowed to take pictures in the building. We thought he was just joking, but nope, he made us put away our cameras.

Is it really a thing that photography in the Ren Cen is technically by permit only? I found it really odd he did that to us because everyone takes pictures all day and night during Youmacon, it's an anime con for geebus sake! I just would like to avoid something that annoying again this year if possible, but I am curious to know if he was in the right or just being a jerk.

gargoyle

Re: Issue with Taking Pictures in the Ren Cen?

Postby gargoyle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 am

I don’t know if you actually need a permit to take pictures at the RenCen, but yes, there have always been issues since the con moved there. Enforcement is wildly inconsistent. Don’t bother trying to argue. They’re not trained to think and assess. “Hey, it’s an anime convention. It’s natural to take photos. There’s no danger here.” Nope. They are either just doing what they are told or the powertripping is the only small satisfaction they get out of their miserable job.

The city is bankrupt. Neighborhoods are abandoned wastelands. The politicians have been robbing the city.(I’m looking at you Kwame). 411 murders in 2012. And somehow RenCen management feels that harassing revenue-generating anime fans for taking pictures is productive.

Morgan, fix this. Tell RenCen security to stand down.

Fotog
First Anime: GITS: Stand Alone Complex

Postby Fotog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Apparently, it's because GM owns the building. As one of the photographers harassed multiple times by rent-a-cops, I was told you need a permit from GM to shoot on the 1st or 2nd floors. Floors 3 to 5 were OK, because they are owned by the hotel (but there is nothing good to use as a background on those floors). Otherwise, I was told that you have to go out to the 10 foot strip by the water to get off GMs property...

So this year, I will probably do most of my shoots at Cobo since it's not worth the hassle, no matter how cool the lighted sky-walk GM owns is.

-Mike
Your friendly neighborhood Fotog.
- Moonlighting at Critical Mass Photography -
http://cmphoto.zenfolio.com/

lunaladyoflight
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby lunaladyoflight » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm

That's funny, I've had private shoots with photographers every year I've gone to Youma (including the three at the Ren Cen) and have never had an issue with being interrupted by a security guard. I know they get testy if people are touching the cars on the first floor, but I had friends taking photos with them (wearing car themed costumes) and they didn't have any trouble at all.

FuneralAddition
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby FuneralAddition » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 am

I think it depends on who it is, really. Most security guards probably have come to understand how the convention works, I'm guessing. Some, well, they have to get their daily dose of power somewhere. I would just comply, walk away, and continue taking the pictures. I'm not paying a hefty amount of money for my badge, hotel rooms, and all of my cosplays put together to be told not to participate in one of the main reasons I go: for the pictures of other cosplayers.
androidpeach
Image ImageImage

Nick3889

Postby Nick3889 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 am

gargoyle wrote:I don’t know if you actually need a permit to take pictures at the RenCen, but yes, there have always been issues since the con moved there. Enforcement is wildly inconsistent. Don’t bother trying to argue. They’re not trained to think and assess. “Hey, it’s an anime convention. It’s natural to take photos. There’s no danger here.” Nope. They are either just doing what they are told or the powertripping is the only small satisfaction they get out of their miserable job.

The city is bankrupt. Neighborhoods are abandoned wastelands. The politicians have been robbing the city.(I’m looking at you Kwame). 411 murders in 2012. And somehow RenCen management feels that harassing revenue-generating anime fans for taking pictures is productive.

Morgan, fix this. Tell RenCen security to stand down.

As a guy from the other side of the border I agree. I've been going since 2010 and ive never had any problems from security about pictures at all. Never seen it happen either.

(PS Kwame got 23 yrs BTW)
When the going gets tough, the tough get, GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!!!

Sub Zippo
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Speed Racer

Postby Sub Zippo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:03 am

That's madness. The Ren Cen is open to the public....
Con pics on facebook http://www.facebook.com/nateyork82/photos_albums
Con videos on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/subzippo

Return to “Cosplay: General”