Cosplay Documentary Online!

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our third year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

cmartell

Cosplay Documentary Online!

Postby cmartell » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Ok, after much work I finally have a 20 minute version of the documentary online for all of the wide world to see.

The only problem is I had to majorly compress it down so that it was under 50mb because our school firewall pretty much blocks any upload attempt that exceeds that amount.

So I apologize in advance for the low quality. I'll be giving a high quality DVD version of the 30 minute version to the Youmacon staff so maybe they will show it next year or something.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... d=23844986

PS: If you guys think we did a good job, please vote on the video!. Hell, even send links to all your friends and post it into your own profile page! Spread it around and hopefully people who otherwise would never go to a con will want to because of this doc! That would be so cool dont you think?
Yes, I'm "that guy with the camera and microphone".

And if you live near Ann Arbor I'll still interview you about the con if you come to the college.

Quii

Postby Quii » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Excellent work! Count on my vote. :3

LeeFan2012

Postby LeeFan2012 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Your doc made me miss Youmacon... TT-TT *thumbs up*
Labeled as the "Free Hugs Rock Lee"
--Member of Live Action Mario Party '06 winning team! Team Hentai!--
[2009 Cosplay]
Rock Lee
Kaoru

CucumberChief

Postby CucumberChief » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:57 pm

That Monarch part was made of win. :D You did a good job.

Have you ever seen Comic Book: The Movie?
ImageImage

cmartell

Postby cmartell » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:08 am

Glad you guys like it. Someday I need to put together the whole 60 minute full feature...I just ran out of video lab time this semester but I still have all the tapes, and I'm backing up my project on a portable hard-drive so I can continue to develop it next semester.

CucumberChief wrote:That Monarch part was made of win. :D You did a good job.

Yeah, sadly I own it on DVD somewhere......why?

And if you live near Ann Arbor I'll still interview you about the con if you come to the college.

Fräulein Risu
First Anime: My Neighbor Totoro (the original edit. o.o;)
Location: As it would be said: The greatest best country **** has ever given man on the face of the Earth

Postby Fräulein Risu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Absolutely great. :D It wasn't too long, but it had enough to get the various ideas across. Loved it! (I especially loved the background music on some of the segments. RHPS for the win XD).
I make AMVs :D Please check them out: youtube.com/theangelstrikesback

Goals for '11: Zelda (Twilight Princess)

moogleboy64

Postby moogleboy64 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:47 pm

Wow, that was a really good. I think you did a pretty accurate representation of the community as a whole... I dunno about anyone else, but I definitely felt like I was a part of something bigger while I was watching it. Yay warm fuzzies! XD

Lady

Postby Lady » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:41 am

I felt like this was more of an "anime conventions" documentary than a cosplay one, as the topic of cosplay (specifically dressing up in silly costumes) was covered almost the same amount of time as was the topic of what it's like to be at an anime con.

This isn't a bad thing, necessarily, just that the title may be better as "anime conventions" rather than cosplay. Then again, I know you have TONS of hours of more material, and this is only half as long as the final product you want, so my opinion could be quite premature! What you've put together currently definitely gets across the typical convention crowd, and the type of people you find at anime cons these days.

(If you do want more of a cosplay documentary, I would recommend an "in home" visit of some sort with an excellent cosplayer to show people the steps from concept to completion of a cosplay costume. Perhaps even finding someone who is willing to let you periodically document their progress would be great!)

cmartell

Postby cmartell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:47 am

I called the film "Cosplayers" because it is about cosplayers. I have more footage about the construction of costumes that I would use in a longer piece (it's in the 30 minute version), but the overall documentary is not about costumes but the people who wear the costumes. I wanted to focus on the community and its unique brand of culture while trying to explain this culture to people who may know nothing about it at all.

Lady wrote:(If you do want more of a cosplay documentary, I would recommend an "in home" visit of some sort with an excellent cosplayer to show people the steps from concept to completion of a cosplay costume. Perhaps even finding someone who is willing to let you periodically document their progress would be great!)

Is that an offer Lady? ^^

I want to go to Ohayocon to get additional footage but I dont exactly have a car of my own, but if someone is local to me and can offer transportation I might be able to do that kind of "day in the life at home" segment.

Dusk_Wolf

Postby Dusk_Wolf » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:03 am

Wonderful!!!!! I found myself singing along at the end. I hope I make it into the final version.

I was the center girl of the three you had shout "What happens at Youmacon, stays at Youmacon!" on Saturday before the rave. :D

CucumberChief

Postby CucumberChief » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:33 am

cmartell wrote:
CucumberChief wrote:That Monarch part was made of win. :D You did a good job.

Yeah, sadly I own it on DVD somewhere......why?

The whole taking place at a convention thing was kind of reminding me of that. Even if they are completely different.
ImageImage

fancifulreality

Postby fancifulreality » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:43 pm

XD I love this. My dad was in it, the Inuyasha.
2008 Possible osplays

+ Milfeulle Sakuraba - Galaxy Angel [100%]
+ Rin - Inuyasha
+ Aya Hoshino - SuperGALS! Kotobuki Ran
+ Yachiru - Bleach
+Someone from Zoids?

Rei

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Amazing job on this! You really caught the whole feel of the con ^^ I found myself in the caramelldansen line at the end xD Great footage!
Cosplays for '09:
Medusa(stage 2) from Soul Eater
RED Scout from Team Fortress 2

patrickbooya

Postby patrickbooya » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:13 am

kudosX2000

It's going on my myspace

The Commodore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:03 am

The song in the intro is one of my favorite Depeche Mode songs, so +18230234 points for that. And plus another 0972934854 points for making the scene you showed from DBZ the "OVER 9000!" scene.

I found myself getting my confessional signed by Jeff Nimoy! :D

Return to “2007 Memories”