The Official Youmacon Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our third year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

lilyclairwell

Postby lilyclairwell » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Jia Crens wrote: Free hugs offered or requested - it felt like wading through a tunnel of real-life spam mail. :/

Wow. I've never heard it put so perfectly before. :)

super80sdemon

Postby super80sdemon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:51 pm

Okay so you guys have probably heard enough complaints about the crowding and the free hugs invasions so just assume I mentioned them. :P

What I was a bit disappointed in was the J-rock/J-Pop photoshoot.
Did it ever happen? My friends and I were waiting on the balcony for a while. : /
If I remember correctly, a staff member went through and said something about a staff member organizing it needing to be present, but I could be wrong. And I didn't get a good look at this person.

Normally, this wouldn't have bothered me, but I was kind of depending on this shoot for pictures of the costume I was wearing at the time. It was a lesser known outfit and I think I was only stopped for a picture two or three times. The only pix I have are what I took in the hotel room mirror and what I had friends take.
Asobimashou chainsaw de....
(let's play with the chainsaw...)

xxxLain

Postby xxxLain » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Youmacon was amzing this year!
And I had a great time and everything.
Great first con experience.

Only one complaint:
Me and my friend were laying down to take a quick rest in the hallway( we were really close to the wall so we wouldn't obstruct traffic) during the dance and I was kicked by a staff/security member. I thought it was my friend because she kicks me all the time and I so kicked them back.Now, it wasn't a hard kick or anything but I found it extremely disrespectful.

Once more, I'm sorry to whomever that was
but I would've responded differently had you at least asked me to get up or maybe tapped me on the shoulder instead.

Thanks though, and sorry for causing trouble!

Lady

Postby Lady » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:30 pm

xxxLain wrote:Me and my friend were laying down to take a quick rest in the hallway( we were really close to the wall so we wouldn't obstruct traffic) during the dance and I was kicked by a staff/security member. I thought it was my friend because she kicks me all the time and I so kicked them back.Now, it wasn't a hard kick or anything but I found it extremely disrespectful.

It is a firehazard to sleep in public places such as the hallway and it is expressly forbidden. I've seen several security and staff members attempt to wake people up by talking to them and gently shaking them. Some people won't wake up until more force is used. It's entirely possible that they did attempt more gentle ways to wake you up and those did not work. Additionally, people who sleep in public places can have items stolen from them, so it's really not a good idea to do.

In the future, please go to your hotel room if you need to rest, and this sort of situation can be avoided completely.

deepplum

Postby deepplum » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:55 pm

super80sdemon wrote:Okay so you guys have probably heard enough complaints about the crowding and the free hugs invasions so just assume I mentioned them. :P

What I was a bit disappointed in was the J-rock/J-Pop photoshoot.
Did it ever happen? My friends and I were waiting on the balcony for a while. : /
If I remember correctly, a staff member went through and said something about a staff member organizing it needing to be present, but I could be wrong. And I didn't get a good look at this person.

Normally, this wouldn't have bothered me, but I was kind of depending on this shoot for pictures of the costume I was wearing at the time. It was a lesser known outfit and I think I was only stopped for a picture two or three times. The only pix I have are what I took in the hotel room mirror and what I had friends take.

AFAIK no staff member needed to be there for any photo shoot, cos we didn't have one for the J-fash one, and I don't know who created it because none of us from the panel did, I think someone on the forums requested it, not a staff member, therefore no staff member would have organized it.

A lot of the photoshoots aren't like, set in stone this person is running it, and they'll make everyone get together. If you see a bunch of people who are dressed in the style of the photoshoot hanging around you may need ot be the one to take initiative and organize it.

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 pm

xxxLain wrote:Me and my friend were laying down to take a quick rest in the hallway( we were really close to the wall so we wouldn't obstruct traffic) during the dance and I was kicked by a staff/security member. I thought it was my friend because she kicks me all the time and I so kicked them back.Now, it wasn't a hard kick or anything but I found it extremely disrespectful.

If that did indeed happen, then on behalf of the staff I apologize. No staffer, security or otherwise, should be using physical force against someone who is not posing an immediate threat to anyone else.

Nevertheless, it is true that sleeping in the public convention space is not acceptable, for many reasons. We must ask that you sleep in a room at the hotel or somewhere off-site (like at someone's house or another hotel).

broken-and-lonely
First Anime: Sailormoon!

Postby broken-and-lonely » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Okay so I'm going to nit-pick sorry! I'm apologizing in advance lolz.... Anyway.

I love Youma. I went all 3 years now and I do believe its getting better and I love the fact that its growing! I have to say though....some things about this year bothered me....

I pre-reged and got my platinum ticket on thursday night; which I loved the thursday idea! I tried to go to the maid cafe and got sent all the way back over by registration to turn in my plastic card for some piece of paper. I was not the only one that was mad/upset....

The Pervy Sage who was a little too pervy.....enough said seeing as there's a thread about that already...... >.>

I absolutely loved the card scavenger hunt! It was soooo much fun! I never would've thought of that. there are only 2 problems I had with it: 1) There needed to be more information about it. I didn't found out anything until late on saturday. 2) The guy with the red shirt card was a total ****. I'm certain he got in trouble but I just wanted to throw that out there......

My last gripe is: IT WAS TOO EFFING CROWDED! Thank you for getting a new venue and I look forward to coming back next year! ^_^

I'm done complaining now....oh and if anything I said was already said....well that's because I'm too lazy to read all of the posts....sorry!

me + youma = <3
AKA Spooky Elric
ConCount: 33
Artist Alley Count: 15
I have been a lot of things at cons: attendee, staffer, department head, vendor, cosplayer, artist, panelist and guest. I think my favourite thing to be is AT a convention :D

Rachey

Postby Rachey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm

As a first time congoer I had a lot of fun this year, though I didn't cosplay :cry: I didn't have a whole lot of time to plan it, but I loved being platinum. As broken and lonely pointed out, my only minor annoyance was the whole turning in my plastic card for a paper one, because by the time I did that me and my friend were WAY in the back of the line and half worried about not meeting guests - we did eventually get in and sat with Quinton and Jeff, Patrick, Johnny, Caitlyn and the others... but yeah.

Could I ask, is there a reason we had to do the switch?

Anyways, great con. Lots of fun, definitely planning on returning next year and super excited about having more room.

Tatsu_loves_Akito

Postby Tatsu_loves_Akito » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:20 pm

I never even knew there was a scavenger hunt :cry:
[b][u]Tentative Schedule[/u][/b]
[b]Thursday:[/b] Iron Man
[b]Friday:[/b] Redcoat England(hetalia)
[b]Saturday:[/b] Mom(Homestuck), Snowman(Homestuck)
[b]Sunday:[/b] Raku(NSG)

Signaturezero

Postby Signaturezero » Mon May 19, 2008 8:46 pm

It was my first time to the con last year and to be honest i did not really have any fun there at all. So i am probably won't be returning this year.

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 am

As it is now more than six months since the 2007 convention, the feedback thread is now closed. Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Return to “2007 Memories”