The Official Youmacon Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our third year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Mana-hime

Postby Mana-hime » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:53 am

Fuzakeru wrote:Early Sat. morning a staff member starts bitching out orders to get to our rooms which was highly uncalled for as an address. People are wandering around because they're uninformed. Just inform and if a problem arises then deal with it as necessary. Also, I should add that as we were resting another staff member approached us and informed us politely that the Hilton had a miltary gathering scheduled and would appreciate us returning to our rooms for a few hours. I personally thanked him for speaking to us so politely and we did as asked.

So glad someone brought this up. The first staffer that came up to us about it was really cool just telling us he wasn't sure what the big deal was but there was some military gathering and we were too loud or they didn't want us milling around. So we headed to our room and sat around outside the door to chat (since there were people sleeping in the room) when another con staffer comes up and tries to intimidate us by saying things like "I don't want to get my manager", "it's for your own protection" Finally near the end and a lot of explaining they politely just told us to go inside and we abided.

TL;DR
Don't bullshit con-goers, just flat out tell them what's going on or they will be confused and angry.
Youmacon 2010 Cosplays:
Thursday: Beyond Birthday (Special 'For Great Justice' Death Note Panel apperence)
Friday: Lady Gaga - Alexander McQueen as seen in Bad Romance MV
Saturday: Lady Deadpool
Sunday: UNDECIDED

tznkai

Postby tznkai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:57 am

Mana-hime wrote:
Fuzakeru wrote:Early Sat. morning a staff member starts bitching out orders to get to our rooms which was highly uncalled for as an address. People are wandering around because they're uninformed. Just inform and if a problem arises then deal with it as necessary. Also, I should add that as we were resting another staff member approached us and informed us politely that the Hilton had a miltary gathering scheduled and would appreciate us returning to our rooms for a few hours. I personally thanked him for speaking to us so politely and we did as asked.

So glad someone brought this up. The first staffer that came up to us about it was really cool just telling us he wasn't sure what the big deal was but there was some military gathering and we were too loud or they didn't want us milling around. So we headed to our room and sat around outside the door to chat (since there were people sleeping in the room) when another con staffer comes up and tries to intimidate us by saying things like "I don't want to get my manager", "it's for your own protection" Finally near the end and a lot of explaining they politely just told us to go inside and we abided.

TL;DR
Don't bullshit con-goers, just flat out tell them what's going on or they will be confused and angry.

As one of the volunteers who was telling people to clear out, I have to say that we had conflicting information. In the space of ten minutes I was told we needed to clear out for air, for the hotel, for military kids, at 3:30, 4:30, 4:00 and 4:45. I get the impression it was last minute miscommunication. I can only speak for myself, but I certainly didn't make any attempt to deceive anyone, and i doubt anyone else did.

Mana-hime

Postby Mana-hime » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:03 am

tznkai wrote:
Mana-hime wrote:

TL;DR

As one of the volunteers who was telling people to clear out, I have to say that we had conflicting information. In the space of ten minutes I was told we needed to clear out for air, for the hotel, for military kids, at 3:30, 4:30, 4:00 and 4:45. I get the impression it was last minute miscommunication. I can only speak for myself, but I certainly didn't make any attempt to deceive anyone, and i doubt anyone else did.

Oh yeah, it's cool. I understand that even the con staff itself gets **** with information. It was more the people and just beating around the bush with us and being rude.
Youmacon 2010 Cosplays:
Thursday: Beyond Birthday (Special 'For Great Justice' Death Note Panel apperence)
Friday: Lady Gaga - Alexander McQueen as seen in Bad Romance MV
Saturday: Lady Deadpool
Sunday: UNDECIDED

Neotestament
Gaming DH
First Anime: Robotech

Postby Neotestament » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:16 am

I would like to put on record that not once did I lose it infront of a con-goer who was going off on me. I am the duck. I can't say that I didn't freak out on my staff when 5 of them were asking me questions and I was still answering the first one. But even when a person walked straight up to me and pretty much explained to me that the gaming rooms this year were the worse ever, I never lost my cool. I did take the satisfaction of showing her my DH badge and the red color in her face.

If any of my staff are reading this. I never got to tell you all how much I appreciate all we pulled off in such a short time with all of the mishaps that were thrown our way with equipment, space, time, people. No one but us will ever truly know how much was done to try and make everyone happy at once.

Thank you ^_^

darighaz

Postby darighaz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:35 am

Mad props to the gaming staff.

Both for keeping it together the whole weekend and finding my money that one night. <3 you all.

My only beef really whole weekend was the masquerade line getting cut because the room was going to be full. Fine its going to be full, but dont cut the line when you KNOW people are going to cut the line to meet back up with their friends. Just let people go and see what happens.

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:54 am

When/where exactly did this happen? The hotel staff assured us that this function would not disrupt our convention. That sounds like a disruption to me...

Shay

Postby Shay » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:49 am

mgperkow wrote:When/where exactly did this happen? The hotel staff assured us that this function would not disrupt our convention. That sounds like a disruption to me...

At about 3:30am I was rudely told by a woman on youmacon security that I had to go back to my room, that they were shutting down the con from 4-6 am for the military gathering. I asked if I could go to the anime room and was told that I HAD to go to my own room.

I'd say that it qualified as a disruption.

tznkai

Postby tznkai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 am

Shay wrote:
mgperkow wrote:When/where exactly did this happen? The hotel staff assured us that this function would not disrupt our convention. That sounds like a disruption to me...

At about 3:30am I was rudely told by a woman on youmacon security that I had to go back to my room, that they were shutting down the con from 4-6 am for the military gathering. I asked if I could go to the anime room and was told that I HAD to go to my own room.

It is my impression this was an ad hoc decision by convention staff out of respect for the military kids coming through. I was volunteering in the gaming section at the time, they were coming right through that area for breakfast. It was in the interest of common decency, and we were rushing because of poor transmission of information. It also gave us time to air out a number of rooms, test equipment and so on, so on balance, I'd say it was awful useful.

Shay

Postby Shay » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:27 am

tznkai wrote:
Shay wrote:

It is my impression this was an ad hoc decision by convention staff out of respect for the military kids coming through. I was volunteering in the gaming section at the time, they were coming right through that area for breakfast. It was in the interest of common decency, and we were rushing because of poor transmission of information. It also gave us time to air out a number of rooms, test equipment and so on, so on balance, I'd say it was awful useful.

I have no problem really with the actual fact that we had to leave the public areas... but I had a problem with the rudeness of the person who ordered me to my room. It wasn't as if she talked to me and I was still hanging around... this was the first time she had mentioned it. If she had come up and said something about clearing out the public areas out of respect for the military, I wouldn't have had a problem... but I actually had to find out WHY they were closing us down from someone else. And if they were closing down the con completely for 2 hours (which is what security said) then it would have been nice if that could have been mentioned earlier.

I don't know where the communication failure happened... but if mgperkow was told by the hotel that it wasn't going to cause a disruption, and then security was walking around saying that they were closing down the con... well, obviously SOMETHING got lost in translation.

tznkai

Postby tznkai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:40 am

Shay wrote:
tznkai wrote:
Shay wrote:

I have no problem really with the actual fact that we had to leave the public areas... but I had a problem with the rudeness of the person who ordered me to my room. It wasn't as if she talked to me and I was still hanging around... this was the first time she had mentioned it. If she had come up and said something about clearing out the public areas out of respect for the military, I wouldn't have had a problem... but I actually had to find out WHY they were closing us down from someone else. And if they were closing down the con completely for 2 hours (which is what security said) then it would have been nice if that could have been mentioned earlier.

I don't know where the communication failure happened... but if mgperkow was told by the hotel that it wasn't going to cause a disruption, and then security was walking around saying that they were closing down the con... well, obviously SOMETHING got lost in translation.

I was on the ground, not at the top, so I will have to speculate at points (which I do so reluctantly) We were clearing out the gaming area because the military kids were coming through that area. At various points we were told different times, by different people, when and how far to clear people out. On my way out of the area and up to my room for a nap, I was told the lobby and gaming hallways (Panels 1-3, AMV room, Gaming 1, Gaming 2, desotos and charley's) were being cleared out totally until 5:30.

This is my hypothesis:
1. Someone, late at night/early morning, realized the military kids were coming through the lobby.
2. Someone looked around at the chaos, and decided that the military kids deserved some peace and quiet, and talked to someone, who talked to other people.
3. Someone, either a department head or whichever conops staffer was awake at the time, made a decision
4. The decision comes down to clear out from ???-5:30
5. As information spreads through staffers, it comes from multiple sources, and is quickly distorted through a combination of conflicting information, and a telephone effect.
5. Staffers clear people out, some under the impression that they have very little time until people clear out, some having already dealt with belligerent con goers, and many with the impression that the area was already supposed to be empty.
6. Multiple assumptions and communications failures lead to a lot of rush and a lot of frayed tempers.

In otherwords? Last minute (mis)planning and miscommunication happened. Don't take it personally, and I'm sure next year there will be a better plan for distributing information.

mgperkow
Server Administrator

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:30 pm

At the risk of sounding angry or whatever, I still have this to say...

I honestly don't care how or why the hotel sought to shut us down for two hours. I do not care what the reason was or how they went about it. The point to me is that they told us (and I overheard one of them telling Morgan, if I was hearing about the right thing) that whatever was going on would not cause a disruption for our event. Regardless of who it was for or why, it sounds to me like it disrupted Youmacon.

Well, it's already said and done, and we're moving to another hotel next year anyway, so it's a moot point now. Otherwise I think we'd be having words with the hotel about this kind of thing.

tznkai

Postby tznkai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:32 pm

mgperkow wrote:At the risk of sounding angry or whatever, I still have this to say...

I honestly don't care how or why the hotel sought to shut us down for two hours. I do not care what the reason was or how they went about it. The point to me is that they told us (and I overheard one of them telling Morgan, if I was hearing about the right thing) that whatever was going on would not cause a disruption for our event. Regardless of who it was for or why, it sounds to me like it disrupted Youmacon.

Well, it's already said and done, and we're moving to another hotel next year anyway, so it's a moot point now. Otherwise I think we'd be having words with the hotel about this kind of thing.

Was it the hotel that shut the con down? I was given the impression it was a con staff decision.

mgperkow
Server Administrator

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:33 pm

tznkai wrote:Was it the hotel that shut the con down? I was given the impression it was a con staff decision.

Not that I am aware of, and I'm usually in the loop about many of the con's goings-on. Well, I will check on this with the con chair at my first opportunity and possibly post whatever I might learn later on.

MagiusT
Vice Con Chair / Live Programming DH

Postby MagiusT » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:43 pm

mgperkow wrote:Well, it's already said and done, and we're moving to another hotel next year anyway, so it's a moot point now. Otherwise I think we'd be having words with the hotel about this kind of thing.

Well regardless of the fact that we are moving to a new location, if it was them that forced a shutdown then they will be hearing from us.

SeekingElegance
Video Programming Staff
First Anime: Magic Knight Rayearth

Postby SeekingElegance » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 pm

MagiusT wrote:
mgperkow wrote:Well, it's already said and done, and we're moving to another hotel next year anyway, so it's a moot point now. Otherwise I think we'd be having words with the hotel about this kind of thing.

Well regardless of the fact that we are moving to a new location, if it was them that forced a shutdown then they will be hearing from us.

Oooh.. A MaguisT smack-down!

Return to “2007 Memories”