things you learned about yourself @ youmacon

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our second year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Flik
Guest of Honor

Postby Flik » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 pm

just for the record --

the lightsaber-wielding spoony bard (me) has around 14 lightsabers, seven of which were at the convention. when the force action lightsabers hit stores, i'm totally going to be on that. lights up AND descends FULLY into the hilt? hell yea!

Roxas
First Anime: Digimon

Postby Roxas » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:26 pm

What I learned or further affirmed at Youmacon 06:
1.It's ok to ask for directions on the way when lost and dressed as Cloud-as long as you've got a Reno to back you up.
2.I can go far longer without eating than I could ever imagine.
3.Cheese in a can and Triskets are Godsent when starving.
4.Open balconys are made for screaming at people in the parking lot.
5.I Have no shame when eating a room mates cold leftover overpriced pasta-they did'nt really want it anyways.
6.Don't overpack-Half the crap you bring won't even be nessacary anyways.
7.Glomping is a good thing.
8.Yaoi is the best thing to grace this earth.A fanboy's reaction to it is second best.
9.Cosplay is fun and performing a skit containing massive amounts of yaoi and butt action rocks.
10.Kingdom Heart's cosplayers are surprisingly perverted and loud-I'm proud to be one of them.
11.Hi-Chew should be known as Crem.
12.Mansex is great and should be yelled at strangers and friends alike.
13.Spiky hair is painful when slept in.
14.Got 2 B glued Freeze Spray is "teh shiznit".
15.Sleep is NEVER nessacary.
16.Axel's you don't know groping you while you're Roxas is okay,as long as they keep you warm in the process.
ShortSpike Productions

www.facebook.com/shortspike

amestyle

Postby amestyle » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Not just things learn about myself but about Anime Cons...

1. Anime Cons are WAY FUN!
2. I want to cosplay next year forizzles!
3. No sleep + Bawls is the way to go!
4. I can act any funky way I want to and feel normal...LOL!!!
5. I'm not a big an anime freak as I thought! (well, I sorta knew that already)

BWAHAHAHAHA! XD
You and me, it's ovary...

Ichigo Ikane
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:12 pm

1. Most KH Cosplayers looove yaoi, and have very guttered minds. ^^
2. Not many people go for the Sora and Kairi couple...
3.Conga lines=scraped knees and elbows. X_X
4. Cutness comes in all shapes, sizes, and cosplays! ^^
5. Hugging your favorite character idols is great fun! (especially when there are a lot of the same cosplay)
6. Demyx is ticklish! ^^
7.helping others open ramune bottles is a lot of fun to see their reactions!
8. I never thought anyone would like my amvs
9.Glomping is great fun!!!
10.Chasing down Zexion is great exersize! (LOL)
11.Narutos are fun to cuddle and swing around!!! (*points to video on youtube*)
Help my eggs out with clicks! ^^

TangerineDreamFiend

Postby TangerineDreamFiend » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:38 pm

i learned that the majority of anime fans are kinda dorky i always thought it was something cool but to my disapointment is there anyone cool out there or rather does anyone else feel disapointed at this and what does star wars have to do with anime jeeze! this con almost destroyed my interest in anime it did kill it off some.

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH

Postby ngsilver » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:36 am

TangerineDreamFiend wrote:i learned that the majority of anime fans are kinda dorky i always thought it was something cool but to my disapointment is there anyone cool out there or rather does anyone else feel disapointed at this and what does star wars have to do with anime jeeze! this con almost destroyed my interest in anime it did kill it off some.
wait... you didn't know this already?

You do realize that Otaku is an insult right? It means house, and in the context it is used it means you are the same as your house since you never leave it. There is a reason anime fans are labeled as otaku... other then the fact that american kids use it because they think it is cool.

Don't let this knowledge discourage you. Fans get like that, fans of any kind. Fans dont have a bearing on the actual product itself... for the most part...

And yes, I staff conventions... and I realize this fact... go figure! ^^ :P

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:57 am

I don't think most of us would deny that we might be seen as "dorks" by some (not trying to speak for everyone, no "I'm offended" PMs please), but I think it's all a matter of perspective. I mean, to try to give some examples for boths sides of the common argument, I think it's cool to like anime (and sci-fi and fantasy etc.). I also think it's cool to be brainy and geeky. I think it's not cool to live only for sports or something like that. I know many people who would think just the opposite and call me a dork just for thinking as I do. To each is own is what it comes down to...

lunaslayer13
Operations Staff
First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby lunaslayer13 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:18 pm

I am a dork.
Someone called me a dork that weekend and i said
"thank you i am also cute"
well only brandon from gaimng staff knows what i really said, but let keep this pg
"Why are you so crazy?"
Mario to Toad

Ichigo Ikane

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:01 pm

^_^ If Anime lovers are dorks, then I'll be the Queen!!! Haha!!

Seriously, I think when you're surrounded by those who share a commen intrest, it really makes you grow bonds easily. (Like I did at Youmacon). Dorks we may be to some, even losers, but banded together we are freckin' sweet!!!!

Help my eggs out with clicks! ^^

nanao-chan

Postby nanao-chan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:00 pm

- I learned that watching your parents expressions as you explain why so many people (mostly girls) cross-dress at cons is fun and good material for messing with them later on.
- naruto fans will come out of no were to glomp someone (my brother has yet to find his "happy place" from his glomps)
-if i hear someone say that they won't be glomp, I'll glomp them :twisted:
-i have more fun cross-dressing at cons
- yoai is great but you CAN go to far with it (if you were at the yoai panel then you know of some of the bad stories )

TangerineDreamFiend

Postby TangerineDreamFiend » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:46 pm

i knew about otaku i just thought anime was sort of cool its too bad people cant like something without being put into a stereotype like otaku dork or whatever its stupid how the japanese look down on someone who buys a dvd of an anime and calls that person an otaku. however maybe it was just me but the majority of the people there where real dorky i spoke to some people and who buys a half naked picture of sephroth? **** how depressing

lunaslayer13
Operations Staff
First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby lunaslayer13 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:53 pm

What type of anime are you in to
"Why are you so crazy?"

Mario to Toad

babiesforbreakfast

Postby babiesforbreakfast » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:39 am

Alcohol makes the yaoi fangirls go away.

NPC

Postby NPC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:50 am

TangerineDreamFiend wrote:i knew about otaku i just thought anime was sort of cool its too bad people cant like something without being put into a stereotype like otaku dork or whatever its stupid how the japanese look down on someone who buys a dvd of an anime and calls that person an otaku. however maybe it was just me but the majority of the people there where real dorky i spoke to some people and who buys a half naked picture of sephroth? **** how depressing

Actually, otaku in Japan is used more for people who take it to extremes; those whose entire lives revolve around anime and things related to it. Around here we use it as a generic term for people who enjoy anime and things related, even if we might know the negative connotations it carries (though in some, if not most, cases, people are just ignorant of that fact).

Also, many people buy half naked pictures of Sephiroth. Because he's a pretty, pretty drawing.

babiesforbreakfast wrote:Alcohol makes the yaoi fangirls go away.

Or worse. ^_~
/Companion Cube Head/

babiesforbreakfast

Postby babiesforbreakfast » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:25 am

TangerineDreamFiend wrote:i knew about otaku i just thought anime was sort of cool its too bad people cant like something without being put into a stereotype like otaku dork or whatever its stupid how the japanese look down on someone who buys a dvd of an anime and calls that person an otaku. however maybe it was just me but the majority of the people there where real dorky i spoke to some people and who buys a half naked picture of sephroth? **** how depressing

I don't really like anime but I loved attending the con and meeting new people. Granted there were some pretty "interesting" characters running about Youma but I generally tend to steer clear of anyone that gives me goosebumps.

and hell, if someone was selling a half naked picture of Gambit I'd probably buy it.

Return to “2006 Memories”